Non-Saints Games - 24/25

Lighthouse

Took me a while to work out why the Finnish national anthem sounded so familiar. But of course it's from watching all those F1 race wins by Hakkinen and Raikonnen.

What a dreadful atmosphere at Wembley so far. I know the weather is crap, but even so. Shockingly quiet.

4 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Took me a while to work out why the Finnish national anthem sounded so familiar. But of course it's from watching all those F1 race wins by Hakkinen and Raikonnen.

What a dreadful atmosphere at Wembley so far. I know the weather is crap, but even so. Shockingly quiet.

I believe Estonia has exactly the same tune, possibly with different words, I can’t quite remember. Needless to say, they’ve yet to win an F1 race.

22 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

Leicester winning.

Wiley old dog Vardy is the scorer of course, what Saints wouldn't do for a player that knows where the goal is like him.

We'd have him hugging the touchline, allowing the defence to reset so he'd have to beat 4 players to get a shot in. That's if he's not too tired running about for passes that never come, or having to drop incredibly deep to recycle it.

• Like 1

I'm not pissed off with us losing the first four games. In fact there have been some missed opportunities. But what is getting to me is that at the moment, I feel we're the poor man of the league. Seeing Bournemouth being a match for Chelsea and looking at Brighton and Brentford, I'm wondering: 'when did our stock fall so low?' It's almost like this happened last year when we were in the championship for just one season.

• Like 1

Just now, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

I'm not pissed off with us losing the first four games. In fact there have been some missed opportunities. But what is getting to me is that at the moment, I feel we're the poor man of the league. Seeing Bournemouth being a match for Chelsea and looking at Brighton and Brentford, I'm wondering: 'when did our stock fall so low?' It's almost like this happened last year when we were in the championship for just one season.

The full picture is that it’s been happening since we sold Virgil and blew the lot on terrible players, which not only contributed very little on the pitch but crippled us financially for years. Coupled with an owner who did absolutely nothing whilst most of our rivals were investing in their squad and you can see our slow decline.

We did have one shining light who managed to make the team far greater than the sum of its parts - Ralph. He kept us in the PL year after year with a team built around McCarthy, Bednarek, Stephens and other Galacticos such as Jan Valery, Charlie Austin and Shane Long. Bizarrely, some fans thought that regularly fighting relegation and finishing 15th was an underachievement with that squad and that he should be sacked. Eventually the new owners agreed and since the day Ralph left we’ve been nothing other than a PL basket case or at best a solid Championship playoff team.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

The full picture is that it’s been happening since we sold Virgil and blew the lot on terrible players, which not only contributed very little on the pitch but crippled us financially for years. Coupled with an owner who did absolutely nothing whilst most of our rivals were investing in their squad and you can see our slow decline.

We did have one shining light who managed to make the team far greater than the sum of its parts - Ralph. He kept us in the PL year after year with a team built around McCarthy, Bednarek, Stephens and other Galacticos such as Jan Valery, Charlie Austin and Shane Long. Bizarrely, some fans thought that regularly fighting relegation and finishing 15th was an underachievement with that squad and that he should be sacked. Eventually the new owners agreed and since the day Ralph left we’ve been nothing other than a PL basket case or at best a solid Championship playoff team.

That's a unique take on reality. It's undeniable that Ralph lost his way and had to go. That he was replaced by worse, and we've not improved on him, doesn't mean that he hadn't been failing. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, egg said:

That's a unique take on reality. It's undeniable that Ralph lost his way and had to go. That he was replaced by worse, and we've not improved on him, doesn't mean that he hadn't been failing. 

Roughly where do you think the players we had then and now belong in the PL?

1 hour ago, Harry_SFC said:

Wolves are another team tipped to be down there this season that look a lot better than us. 

I've not seen any team this weekend that looks as least competitive in this league as we do.

Cant see us beating Bournemouth on the evidence of last night for example. You just know their £40 million striker will open his account against us. Let that sink in, Bournemouth have a £40 million striker and we have fucking Sheffield Utd's failed forward line from last season. 

Wolves look streets ahead of where we are.

Everton can at least score as long as DCL stays fit, even if they do chuck away two goal leads for fun. I couldn't see us going to Villa and doing what they did last evening. 

As a support base we blithely assumed  we'd pick up points v Forest and Brentford, two of the so called 'weaker' teams. The former won at Anfield and the latter gave City a game by all accounts yesterday.

We are so far out of our depth both in terms of players, their experience  and the experience, or lack thereof the manager. We really did look like a plucky lower league team playing Man U in the cup yesterday. Throw the kitchen sink at them in the first 30mins knowing that there would be only one outcome if we didn't score whilst doing so.

We'll likely win a few games, but not many. To put it in perspective in 22/23 during Ralph's last few months in charge prior to the World Cup we had 12 points in the first 13 games, 7 from the first 4, we're nowhere near that level of competitiveness this season.

So I'll take the odd bright moment this season when and if they come and try to be as positive as possible. I don't get the embarrassment emotion that some express on here when it comes to Saints. It is what it is.

Edited by Winnersaint
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I don't think they'll be involved at all, solid players with an excellent manager.

And yet they're currently looking at one point from their first four, same GD as Saints and six conceded against Chelsea. I'm not sure their forum will share your optimism.

1 hour ago, Nordic Saint said:

Pompey 0-3 WBA. At least we won at Cardiff. Pompey haven't won any of their 6 games this season. 

That's a correct score for me on my Fools Panel game.

Originally I went 0-14, but decided to change at the last moment.