Non-Saints Games - 24/25

Lighthouse

18 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

I hope in the build up to the Leeds/Portsmouth game they show the play-off final goal, I feel that's something both set of fans will really enjoy

Maybe the DJ will play Freed From Desire in the pre-game too 😁

Feels like it is played at every sporting event this summer - not sure how I feel about that

• Lighthouse changed the title to Non-Saints Games - 24/25
21 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

It's Leeds so it is actually really, really funny.

I like Leeds. But the blatant media bias toward them here is almost making me want the Skates to win. They were gutted when P*mpey equalised.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Winnersaint said:

Pompey penalty in stoppage time. Wouldn’t be one with VAR

Oh great so not only do Skates win, but Leeds are gonna be complaining about that all season because everyone hates them or something...

1 minute ago, Baird of the land said:

Was about to credit pompey for a good result and then they blow it in the 97 minute

Still a good result from them tbf. Leeds fans will be having a meltdown.

Lewis Payne has made both Cheltenham goals and best player on the pitch so far.

Good start for Michael Flynn v Newport, his long-time club. Away end full, they’ve travelled over the border in good numbers.

Then I posted the above and jinxed it. Lewis gave the ball away and further into the Newport move brought down his opposite number quite needlessly conceding a penalty. 

2-2 at HT

Edited by Gloucester Saint

I've been reading Dave Roberts' books, including his wonderful The Bromley Boys, so I was pleased to see that Bromley FC, founded in 1892, played the first Football League game in their long history yesterday and won it 2-0. It's just a shame that Dave Roberts wasn't still alive to see it.

The Bromley Boys: The True Story of Supporting the Worst Football Team in Britain 

"In the late 1960s, in the warm glow of England winning the World Cup, Dave Roberts, like most teenage boys his age, was football mad. There was just one difference: rather than supporting the likes of Arsenal or Manchester United, Dave’s team of choice was the ever so slightly less glamorous Bromley FC"

Dave Roberts: Remembering a Bromley legend - Ronin Marketing

Edited by Nordic Saint

29 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

Bromley FC, founded in 1892, played the first Football League game in their long history yesterday and won it 2-0.

I have been led to believe that Bromley are the only team in the top 4 divisions to lie in a constituency that has a Conservative MP!

12 minutes ago, Maggie May said:

He’s tearing it up.

He is, but Plymouth are not set up right here at all. Wide open in midfield, getting caught in possession in their own half, and the front players are not in the game. Whittaker, a player Saints are rumoured to be tracking has had 5 touches of the ball tops.

Wendies already singing ‘sacked in the morning’ to Rooney.

Its so bad, Weds could and should have scored three more and Adam Forshaw has ‘Foreshaw’ on the back of his shirt.

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Maybe one day club owners will stop considering Wayne Rooney. He'll ruin Plymouth and it'll be too late for them this season before they realise.

He'll get them plenty of television revenue and relegation, heck of a trade off.

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Maybe one day club owners will stop considering Wayne Rooney. He'll ruin Plymouth and it'll be too late for them this season before they realise.

Barry Bannan is a good little player, but mid-30s now, and operates in certain midfield space. Even Martin managed to flood the midfield twice last season and stop that. 

Rooney names him as a threat but then plays a two man CM.

I wish him well because I like Plymouth as a club but that performance today was as bad as anything Saints produced in Ralph’s later 2021/22, Pellegrino, Nathan Jones. Sturrock opening day at Villa was probably the easiest comparison in terms of how wide open midfield was and the low energy levels. The lack of organisation on the pitch was frightening. 

2 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

EFL Cup starts today, the draw for the next round is tomorrow, so any of the winners from the Southern section could be our opponents.

The skates have Millwall at home so possible that they make it through.

They didn't. Lost 0-1.

Shame that. Very sad. 

• Haha 5