Office Hours

sadoldgit

On 14/07/2023 at 14:37, Weston Super Saint said:

People get sacked for 'doing stuff' that isn't against the law either because they did it on company time or because it could be considered to 'bring their company into disrepute'.  

Makes you wonder how many posters here could be sacked for “doing stuff” on company time. Not sure that spending hours on social media when you should be hard at work would go down well at the annual appraisal.

[Just to be clear, I didn’t start this thread. It has been split from another thread by a mod which was on a completely different subject]

Edited by sadoldgit

9 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Makes you wonder how many posters here could be sacked for “doing stuff” on company time. Not sure that spending hours on social media when you should be hard at work would go down well at the annual appraisal.

Another simplistic view from the dinosaur that anyone posting between 09:00 and 17:00 is doing so on 'company time'.

How the fuck do you know when people are or aren't working?

Luckily, since you were in charge of the typists in the typing pool, times have changed.  It's possible to work and use social media at the same time.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

I’m immensely talented SOG. Think  back to days as a filing clerk, filing one at a time. I’d be doing five for your one whilst also doing some strategic planning whilst working out who to abuse on Saintweb 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Another simplistic view from the dinosaur that anyone posting between 09:00 and 17:00 is doing so on 'company time'.

Luckily, since you were in charge of the typists in the typing pool, times have changed.  It's possible to work and use social media at the same time.

I know that you aren’t the sharpest knife in the draw Weston, but it isn’t a stretch to work out that most jobs operate between roughly 9 and 6 and most people work a 5 day week.

If you see posts from them pretty much every day, through the day, there is a very good chance that they are using social media during working hours.

If, as you suggest, they might be working nights, when do they sleep if they are posting consistently through the day?

When you say it is possible to work and use social media at the same time, you are making my point for me (bless you). I don’t know about your job, if you ever had one, but where I worked people were expected to work during their hours of employment, not spend their time trolling on social media platforms. 

I know that you trip over yourself trying to trip up others, but you really need to engage your brain first. You just end up making yourself look silly.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

I know that you aren’t the sharpest knife in the draw Weston, but it isn’t a stretch to work out that most jobs operate between roughly 9 and 6 and most people work a 5 day week.

If you see posts from them pretty much every day, through the day, there is a very good chance that they are using social media during working hours.

If, as you suggest, they might be working nights, when do they sleep if they are posting consistently through the day?

When you say it is possible to work and use social media at the same time, you are making my point for me (bless you). I don’t know about your job, if you ever had one, but where I worked people were expected to work during their hours of employment, not spend their time trolling on social media platforms. 

I know that you trip over yourself trying to trip up others, but you really need to engage your brain first. You just end up making yourself look silly.

Wtf are you blabbering on about?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

I think you've just made Weston's point for him. This is 2024. Working arrangements aren't what they were. My staff will use social media during the working day, I have no issue with that as long as the work gets done as it should. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

If only.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Don't forget Soggy only has experience managing typists in the typing pool.

I think Dolly Parton sang about him once.

Is SoG'S real name Jolene? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

3 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

1 hour ago, whelk said:

I’m immensely talented SOG. Think  back to days as a filing clerk, filing one at a time. I’d be doing five for your one whilst also doing some strategic planning whilst working out who to abuse on Saintweb 

The world has moved on SOG as others have said, it's not like the days when you could sneak off the filing cabinets for a few hours because you had a hardon for Jean from Accounts. No one clocks on anymore and has to do their 7.5 hours a day. We aren't measure by how many hours we do or words we type. Mondays first job isn't doing the tea and lunch rota. Annual appraisal, lol. 

1 hour ago, egg said:

I think you've just made Weston's point for him. This is 2024. Working arrangements aren't what they were. My staff will use social media during the working day, I have no issue with that as long as the work gets done as it should. 

Maybe, although they don’t expect frequent use of personal phones where my wife works. Up until the point I retired it was frowned upon in our office and it wasn’t ok in the part time jobs I had afterwards. Little wonder this country is going down the toilet if office staff everywhere are spending their days slagging off total strangers on the internet! 😉

• Haha 1

It's partly the avatar, partly the tone and partly revelations about his career.

http://jedisparadise.com/2/index_htm_files/15778.jpg

But I always read sog's posts as if he were a failed Hong Kong Phooey. A crusading champion of justice...if only he weren't trapped in a disused filing cabinet, doing a paper clip audit.

Edit: Work is increasingly intensive and focused. Where there are natural breaks, staff make full use of it to recharge, have the work/life balance that technology gives them, before getting on with the day.

Edited by Holmes_and_Watson
  • Haha 3

57 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Maybe, although they don’t expect frequent use of personal phones where my wife works. Up until the point I retired it was frowned upon in our office and it wasn’t ok in the part time jobs I had afterwards. Little wonder this country is going down the toilet if office staff everywhere are spending their days slagging off total strangers on the internet! 😉

when they got miserable retired people bitter with their lot in life spamming internet forums 24/7 with misery and bad news links they dont really have very good role models do they.

3 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

actually this post shows it's you that isn't the sharpest tool in the draw as you try to belittle Weston yet show no comprehension of the modern working world. 

You've made yourself look very silly when you thought you were being smart, once again.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Turkish said:

actually this post shows it's you that isn't the sharpest tool in the draw as you try to belittle Weston yet show no comprehension of the modern working world. 

You've made yourself look very silly when you thought you were being smart, once again.

Just think of the time lost to clean your slate, chalk a message, summon the messenger boy and send him out into the smog choked metropolis to deliver it!

And don't talk to me about staying late to make up for it. That office candle is snuffed out at 5:30 sharp!

Tune in next week when SOG's messenger boy is intercepted by his arch nemesis, Jacob Rees-Mogg!

20 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Just think of the time lost to clean your slate, chalk a message, summon the messenger boy and send him out into the smog choked metropolis to deliver it!

And don't talk to me about staying late to make up for it. That office candle is snuffed out at 5:30 sharp!

Tune in next week when SOG's messenger boy is intercepted by his arch nemesis, Jacob Rees-Mogg!

I wonder if this messenger boy is like his barber or barmaid in the local...

2 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

spending their days slagging off total strangers on the internet! 😉

I don’t think of you as a total stranger SOG😄

Edited by whelk
  • Haha 1

The modern working world? Would you expect to sit down in a busy office and read a book or a newspaper whilst others were busy? What is the difference between Turkish spending hours posting twaddle on the CoT thread or trolling as usual for hours on end every day? Fair play to those who have found jobs where the company don’t mind paying them for carrying out their hobbies. As I say, little wonder the country is in such a state. I guess that is why the Tories struggled so much. All of the Civil Servants have been chatting away in football forums and Mumsnet instead of getting on with running the country.

15 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

The modern working world? Would you expect to sit down in a busy office and read a book or a newspaper whilst others were busy? What is the difference between Turkish spending hours posting twaddle on the CoT thread or trolling as usual for hours on end every day? Fair play to those who have found jobs where the company don’t mind paying them for carrying out their hobbies. As I say, little wonder the country is in such a state. I guess that is why the Tories struggled so much. All of the Civil Servants have been chatting away in football forums and Mumsnet instead of getting on with running the country.

Work is now something you do not a place you go. Too bad you're stuck in the 80s. 🤡

Edited by Turkish

5 hours ago, egg said:

Social Media has come on a bit from SOGgy's day, we no longer scribble a message on a scrap of parchment with a quill pen, screw it into a ball, and throw it at a colleague across the office. ( Hopefully without the Beadle noticing ).

People today will generally expect to have their phones with them at all times. It is down to either the organisation, or as you say, the line managers, to set the parameters.

Generally I would use the Internet for a few minutes when, for instance, I was watching a system management screen running a software update or compilation. My wife, on the other hand, as a teacher, was explicitly banned from taking her phone, or even a cup of tea, into the classroom.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

It's partly the avatar, partly the tone and partly revelations about his career.

http://jedisparadise.com/2/index_htm_files/15778.jpg

But I always read sog's posts as if he were a failed Hong Kong Phooey. A crusading champion of justice...if only he weren't trapped in a disused filing cabinet, doing a paper clip audit.

Edit: Work is increasingly intensive and focused. Where there are natural breaks, staff make full use of it to recharge, have the work/life balance that technology gives them, before getting on with the day.

I wasn’t talking about what people do in their breaks. Some of the posters, if they are working, seem to have longer breaks than they do work periods as their posts are constant through the day which I have made clear in my earlier post.

Weston old boy. I am sorry to disappoint you but not only have I never managed a typing pool, I have never seen one. It is interesting to know now though that in a “modern office” the former typists will all be logging on to their favourite social media sites on their PCs or phones when they arrive at work.

16 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Work is now something you do not a place you go. Too bad you're stuck in the 80s. 🤡

Trolling on social media is something you do.

Work has always been something that you do, where you do it is irrelevant. As for being stuck in the 80’s, you do know that social media didn’t exist in the 80’s? 

You are just like Weston, so desperate to score points you don’t think about what you are posting. 

1 minute ago, sadoldgit said:

Work has always been something that you do, where you do it is irrelevant. As for being stuck in the 80’s, you do know that social media didn’t exist in the 80’s? 

You are just like Weston, so desperate to score points you don’t think about what you are posting. 

How did you read that post. You have him on ignore, right?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Jesus wept.

You have the gall to call others thick.  I think you've missed all the points today.  Well done you.

Edited by Weston Super Saint
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Weston old boy. I am sorry to disappoint you but not only have I never managed a typing pool, I have never seen one.

Horseshit.  You've told us before how you were the typing / admin manager at the CPS.

Unless of course that was more of your Walter Mitty made up bollocks.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

I used to think you were the second thickest person on here, I was wrong. 

13 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Horseshit.  You've told us before how you were the typing / admin manager at the CPS.

Remember when he claimed he spent a lot of his career prosecuting knife crime? Then a few months later he made the same claim about prosecuting rape and sex offenders? Trying to give the impression he was some legal hot shot 

that got exposed are more lies from the serial bullshitter 🤣🤣🤥🤥🤥🤥🤥

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

How did you read that post. You have him on ignore, right?

He's forgotten about that quite a bit since he stumped up his fiver. Him posting more has not had the effect he'd hoped.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I wonder if this messenger boy is like his barber or barmaid in the local...

or the Trans mate that absolutely loves being called "a trans" 

My wife works in a “modern office.” Her friends work in either “modern offices” or work from home. I just asked her what the general protocol is with social media at work. She says her boss doesn’t mind if she checks her texts and emails occasionally and takes important/urgent personal phone calls. He wouldn’t expect her to log in to a social media platform like this, constantly check posts and respond to them during work time. She is pretty sure that the situation is the same for her friends.

Let us take another example. Think of a really “modern office” say, in NASA. Do you really think that any office manager would be happy for someone to log in to a site like TSW, check the posts every few minutes and spend time putting together riddles concerning potential football transfers while they are supposed to be working on important NASA stuff? I am sure they would be more than happy for you to do that in your coffee break and lunch break but I don’t think they would be happy when you are supposed to be doing actual NASA work.

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Jesus wept.

You have the gall to call others thick.  I think you've missed all the points today.  Well done you.

What exactly is the point I have missed? That some people on here think that offices let you spend your work time on social media when you are supposed to be working?

Social media is bad, mkay.  Good god. Mountains and molehills everywhere.

Having a conversation with the wife about it ffs 🤣 so pathetic. Fair play, he may be retired but you can’t knock the work ethic, he’s been at it all day.

IMG-0147.jpg

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I have never said that I was a typing manager. I said that I managed teams who worked on case files for the magistrates courts and later I managed paralegal caseworkers for cases in the crown court. I also managed a sales team at The Guardian. None of this work involved the use of typists in typing pools. The administration of both case work for magistrates courts and crown courts involves a lot more than just typing. I call you thick precisely because of posts like these when you completely fail to grasp basic information and make up something to suit your own agenda.

13 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

My wife works in a “modern office.” Her friends work in either “modern offices” or work from home. I just asked her what the general protocol is with social media at work. She says her boss doesn’t mind if she checks her texts and emails occasionally and takes important/urgent personal phone calls. He wouldn’t expect her to log in to a social media platform like this, constantly check posts and respond to them during work time. She is pretty sure that the situation is the same for her friends.

Let us take another example. Think of a really “modern office” say, in NASA. Do you really think that any office manager would be happy for someone to log in to a site like TSW, check the posts every few minutes and spend time putting together riddles concerning potential football transfers while they are supposed to be working on important NASA stuff? I am sure they would be more than happy for you to do that in your coffee break and lunch break but I don’t think they would be happy when you are supposed to be doing actual NASA work.

What a surprise,  a mystery person who 100% backs up your view. 

“Coffee breaks” lol it really is still the 80s. Did you collect the weekly tea money and do the rota too?

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

You make the gross assumption that all work places are the same. They aren't, and each organisation will have it's own policies and tolerances, as has been posted above.

Your example of NASA is not making the point you think it is, because they do not allow personal phones in sensitive or 'live' operational areas. Their policies are clearly laid out and staff adhere to them.

I think the point you are trying to make with this thread is misguided and misinformed.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Coffee break 🤣🤣

Cor, can’t wait for the 10am buzzer to go off then it’s feet up, coffee and Saintsweb.

Ah. Looks like you're 09:30 time for a shit and take your phone with you buzzer is broken.

Modern offices eh.

BTW the place where Soggy's wife works sounds fucking horrendous.  I bet they also have "forced" fun for red nose day.

20 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

I have never said that I was a typing manager. I said that I managed teams who worked on case files for the magistrates courts and later I managed paralegal caseworkers for cases in the crown court. I also managed a sales team at The Guardian. None of this work involved the use of typists in typing pools. The administration of both case work for magistrates courts and crown courts involves a lot more than just typing. I call you thick precisely because of posts like these when you completely fail to grasp basic information and make up something to suit your own agenda.

You also said you spent much of your career prosecuting knife crime, you also said the same About rape and sexual offenders. It actually turned out you were a manager or team leader of an admin team who put files together.

I bet all the admin ladies tried not to be on the same coffee break as you though pal. 

• Like 1

11am... the mandated time for a tea break. As unbreakable a ritual as the stone tablets the admin team spent their lives engraving.

Muffled sobs were heard as the tea trolley left the canteen. This was no time to give into despair. They had to lend their colleague their strength. Their will to survive.

Mrs Miggins barely heard the squeak from the left wheel of the trolley, as she braced herself for her last journey.  The death march past SOG's desk had begun.

Mrs Miggins only hoped oblivion would be quick, before she had to hear too much about how many carrier pigeons SOG had used to send outraged messages around the city (out of office hours).

Read more in the next exciting issue of Crusader Inaction Weekly!

Edited by Holmes_and_Watson
  • Haha 2

Who knew when Lighthouse separated this idiocy that it would turn into a lolathon. Excellent fun. No surprise that forum chief misery guts Captain Curmudgeon bases his ideal self on a 1980s version of Mr Bumble feeding the girls and boys of the admin team gruel on their coffee break. Only one break a morning though, get back to it.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

You make the gross assumption that all work places are the same. They aren't, and each organisation will have it's own policies and tolerances, as has been posted above.

Your example of NASA is not making the point you think it is, because they do not allow personal phones in sensitive or 'live' operational areas. Their policies are clearly laid out and staff adhere to them.

I think the point you are trying to make with this thread is misguided and misinformed.

The NASA example was a tongue in cheek example of an “modern office” and of course I know that offices/workplaces are different.”Gross assumption” - what is that supposed to mean? That doesn’t alter my original post which now seems to have taken a life of its own by the usual suspects and was just originally pondering a question.

Weston, still waiting to hear what I have gone wrong. And my wife enjoys her job and the people she works with. They are all very busy all day long so wouldn’t  have time to read you delightful daily contributions here even in their coffee breaks.

Edited by sadoldgit

In other news, NASA still awaits contact from their missing astronauts.

"We can only hope their training, and bravery, sees them through this crisis," said Rod Jobsworth, Flight Director at the Mission Control Centre.

"We're unaware of the nature of the fault," he continued. "We were all on our lunch break when it happened, so didn't see it. And the crew were all on theirs, so wouldn't have interrupted that to tell us from their end."

On the future of the programme, Mr Jobsworth told press that "We'll try for another launch in the spring. Sadly, these are just the risks you have to accept, even in an office as well run as NASA."

• Haha 2