Ben Brereton Diaz

goodymatt

14 minutes ago, Turkish said:

he got half that in 16 games for one of the shittest teams in Premier Soccerball history. 10-12 should be realistic. 

Yep, double figures should be Big Ben’s first target. Feels like an astute signing. 

• Like 1

Looks like a good signing, nice age and experience, versatile and another good character.

Not sure quite how a few judge him to be a definite 'upgrade' on Adams given he has played so few games in a top league.

If he gets 10 PL goals he will have exceeded expectations IMO.

Overall like our profile of signings so far but we definitely need one or two difference makers in attacking areas still.

• Confused 1

The comments on the official Saints social media (especially on Instagram) are overrun with Chilean and Japanese football fans today :lol:

Judging by BBD's former clubs, we should expect them to be overrun with Chileans continuously. They seem to love him (although some very much the opposite because he can't sing the anthem/speak Spanish) and a lot of them are shitting on Villarreal for wasting his time with last summer's transfer

seems like we will run out of superlatives in the first few pages.

Formerly played alongside Adam. A at Blackburn and has scored goals in the past.  What could be better?.

Assuming we have "  a fit Ross Stewart " plus A.N.OTHER...  it will give us a good variation of strikers. 

8 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

The comments on the official Saints social media (especially on Instagram) are overrun with Chilean and Japanese football fans today :lol:

Judging by BBD's former clubs, we should expect them to be overrun with Chileans continuously.

In today's market  this deal is an absolute steal , and if Ben and Adam can click up front, we may have a new strike- partnership to be proud of. 

A goodly selection of international players gives us a " world perspective "  as a Prem. club.   So'ton has a large Polish population rooting for Jan.B 

OK ...we may sell a few shirts in Tokyo and Santiago  but we still have a squad well-packed with " home-grown " British players as well. 

Just now, Ted Bates Statue said:

We don't have a great record with South American players. Hopefully Brereton-Diaz will settle in quickly, and get over the language barrier.

Not sure if joking due to lack of emoji's...

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Dman said:

Still wouldn't mind seeing Alcaraz played through the middle.. I wonder if BBD ability to speak spanish might help..

Unless things have changed drastically in the last few months BBD couldn't speak Spanish too well 😅

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Saint Lefty said:

Why do people on here think he is Spanish? He was born and brought up in Stoke for goodness sake😳 

So was I....Bishopstoke that is.

hopefully him and Arma will bring out the best in each other.

1 hour ago, Suhari said:

Good signing I think.

However, can anyone confirm whether this is an INSANE signing?

insane signings are 2022 pal. Sensible signings are the new Insane signings. 

30 minutes ago, Saint Lefty said:

Why do people on here think he is Spanish? He was born and brought up in Stoke for goodness sake😳 

I don't think anyone thinks he 's Spanish. They think he is Chilean. But he is to Chile what Will Smallbone is to Ireland, ex ept Will is from Basingstoke and Brereton is from notBasing Stoke. Bit like Matt O'Riley being Danish.

• Like 3

With the acquisition of BBD we could just play strikerless, Hear me out.

BBD on the left and Arma on the right, Playing as wide/inverting strikers and then play the AM just furthest up of the midfield to play that Shadow striker type role.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

BBD on the left and Arma on the right, Playing as wide/inverting strikers and then play the AM just furthest up of the midfield to play that Shadow striker type role.

Puel tried that for about a month, it was hopeless.

Said only last week to my Forest supporting colleagues that I would love us to sign BBD. Thought he excelled last season in a poor Sheff Utd side so am genuinely excited by this signing. Time to swap Loch Ness Drogba for BBD in my Fantasy team.

2 hours ago, Dman said:

Nosies suggest we're looking to get another forward in. I suspect he's a replacement for Brooks / Fraser. 

Thought I caught a glimpse of Nosies at Staplewood today. Is he in the COT?

spacer.png

• Haha 1

Cracking bit of business - someone who who could score for that Sheffield United team last season has a decent chance of doing so for us. Tidy price too. 

28 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

I don't like that, but I wouldn't be surprised to see us try that pre season with Charlie playing as the sort of striker. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Saint Lefty said:

Oh wow consider myself enlightened, but seriously that changes nothing and I still stand by my original comment.

2 hours ago, Midfield_General said:

New 'Chilean' forum comedy character incoming in 3, 2, 1... 

Amor y luz 

Santiago Saint with a few insurance bets and a low golf handicap, perhaps?

• Haha 2

It's a smart bit of business from the club. 7 mill is buttons in the Prem but we have a player that has proven to put himself about a bit, scores a few, is a good age and is versatile. Either he scores goals/gets assists to keep up or, worst case scenario, we have our attack pretty sorted for the next promotion push.

We still need a proper striker, getting that right is key, but for now we have another option in attack and we are suddenly looking in much better shape. Bring in O'Riley or similar, sort out the Keeper situation and without any other outs, we're in reasonable to good shape to start the season. 

Hopefully the players we have that we want to sell like Onuachu, ABK etc aren't holding us back on spending too much. I'd still like us to announce a couple of new contracts soon...

9 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

It's a smart bit of business from the club. 7 mill is buttons in the Prem but we have a player that has proven to put himself about a bit, scores a few, is a good age and is versatile. Either he scores goals/gets assists to keep up or, worst case scenario, we have our attack pretty sorted for the next promotion push.

We still need a proper striker, getting that right is key, but for now we have another option in attack and we are suddenly looking in much better shape. Bring in O'Riley or similar, sort out the Keeper situation and without any other outs, we're in reasonable to good shape to start the season. 

Hopefully the players we have that we want to sell like Onuachu, ABK etc aren't holding us back on spending too much. I'd still like us to announce a couple of new contracts soon...

I’m pretty confident Bednarek will sign an extension - Martin seemed to hint at it the other day and he’s in a lot of the pre-season video action.

KWP ain’t signing another one. We desperately need the money to reinvest.

3 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

I’m pretty confident Bednarek will sign an extension - Martin seemed to hint at it the other day and he’s in a lot of the pre-season video action.

KWP ain’t signing another one. We desperately need the money to reinvest.

Dibling and Bednarek are the key ones (alongside possibly Meghoma). Bednarek for the experience alongside the three younger CBs (with Jack also there for experience) and Dibling because he's going to be a top player we don't want to be losing with minimal compensation in a year's time. I'm sure the club have both in hand though (at least we have to hope).

KWP is an odd one. I'm sure we want to keep him, I'm guessing a contract offer is on the table (much as it was with Che) and KWP seems happy to stick around for now but with PSR looming over clubs now, can we risk losing him on a free in a year? We would be much stronger with KWP in the side this year alongside the other full backs but I think the signing of Sugawara was ultimately us preparing for the inevitable. I guess it depends who wants him now the West Ham link seems to have dried up.

33 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Dibling and Bednarek are the key ones (alongside possibly Meghoma). Bednarek for the experience alongside the three younger CBs (with Jack also there for experience) and Dibling because he's going to be a top player we don't want to be losing with minimal compensation in a year's time. I'm sure the club have both in hand though (at least we have to hope).

KWP is an odd one. I'm sure we want to keep him, I'm guessing a contract offer is on the table (much as it was with Che) and KWP seems happy to stick around for now but with PSR looming over clubs now, can we risk losing him on a free in a year? We would be much stronger with KWP in the side this year alongside the other full backs but I think the signing of Sugawara was ultimately us preparing for the inevitable. I guess it depends who wants him now the West Ham link seems to have dried up.

It does sound a little silly but I do hope there's more interest in him. Maybe other options will arise towards the end of the window? I feel in this day and age the money for him is more important than keeping him for another season when it looks like we've signed a very decent replacement. 

It's been a long time coming, but finally my 2019 scouting report pays off. I really hope he is a success. The last one to actually come was Aribo and he's been a mixed bag.

We really need him to be an immediate success. A lot of signings in the Prem seem to take a while to find their feet. We need a few goals early on to get some points and confidence.

When I look at transfermarkt, he played up front as a two-man strike force with Archer for the Blades, while most often as a left winger for Blackburn the season before. Ideal for us if we switch between formations.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Me and the boy have been walking round the house singing this:

BBD, easy as 1, 2, 3; he hates Pompey; BBD; 1, 2, 3 score for Saints FC!

It’s crap but catchy 😅

It passes our criteria that every song we have must contain that we or our players hate Pompey  . 

Edited by IFHP
  • Like 1

I think maybe we as fans have got the BBD transfer wrong. I think Russell Martin sees him as a replacement for Stu:

"He's got great hair. He's clever. You can see that already, he gets it quickly. He's got a good football brain. He's a good character and I think he's going to help us a lot." RM

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

I think maybe we as fans have got the BBD transfer wrong. I think Russell Martin sees him as a replacement for Stu:

"He's got great hair. He's clever. You can see that already, he gets it quickly. He's got a good football brain. He's a good character and I think he's going to help us a lot." RM

But only "great" hair. So, not like Stu at all. 🙂

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ben Brereton Diaz
11 hours ago, Chez said:

On holiday, so not keeping up with the pre season - has BBD played yet? Was he left wing or up front? Also have we played three or two up top?

IIRC, came on 60 odd mins against, I wanna say millwall??

played on the left

no snap judgement but just felt a bit meh and underwhelming 

thought he was gonna have a bit more about him, maybe inject a bit of urgency into a standard russball attacking performance 

only a shit friendly though and the whole team were shite (only saw 2nd half for context)

that’s all I remember really 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Matty's Caddy said:

IIRC, came on 60 odd mins against, I wanna say millwall??

played on the left

no snap judgement but just felt a bit meh and underwhelming 

thought he was gonna have a bit more about him, maybe inject a bit of urgency into a standard russball attacking performance 

only a shit friendly though and the whole team were shite (only saw 2nd half for context)

that’s all I remember really 🤷‍♂️

Cheers. Left of a three?