Ben Brereton Diaz

goodymatt

12 hours ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Rovers fan in that earlier video suggested that BBD's slow start there was because he wasn't being played on the left. Seems to have supported Alexi Sanchez playing for Chile, also from the left. 

So that's BBD on the left and Arma on the right - the Blackburn dream team reuinted. Do we play 3-5-2, or 4-2-2-2? or will we continue to play 4-3-3 and play Stewart or AN Other between them (or Dibling as a false 9!)

Maybe we will look to bring Sam Gallagher in. The question will be whether he has finished his growth spurts.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sergei Gotsmanov said:

What do Shef United and Blackburn say about him?

Only the second half of the season, but he was in the running for Sheff U's player of the season - not hard going by how horrific they were though.

The general consensus with their fans is that had he been there from the start, they'd have been much more competitive as he changed their attack around.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Will be interesting to see if its a permanent move or a loan with oprion as this suggests:

https://www.footballinsider247.com/ben-brereton-diaz-jets-in-today-for-southampton-medical-sources/

The loan would make sense to me - keeps our powder dry this summer in relation to PSR, so we get a striker but on our books this year we haven't paid anything (bar a loan fee). Could be one like the THB one, turns into an obligation process if we stay up - but the loan just expires if we go down.

Protects both parties.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Only the second half of the season, but he was in the running for Sheff U's player of the season - not hard going by how horrific they were though.

The general consensus with their fans is that had he been there from the start, they'd have been much more competitive as he changed their attack around.

Consensus seems to me that he had a fantastic start but lost his way somewhat towards the end of the season (not surprising really given their team.) 

Hopeful that this is going to be one the best signings in the forward area that we’ve made in a long while - a definite upgrade on Adams it would appear but I’m not getting too excited until I see how he fits into RM’s system and makes use of the delivery from the rest of the team. Love the fact that he seems to have much more fluidity about his play and two feet that work!

• Like 1

Just now, East Kent Saint said:

I assume if he can open the Drs surgery door and walk in he's passed his Saints medical ?

Don't be daft...someone usually opens the door for them...

1 hour ago, East Kent Saint said:

I assume if he can open the Drs surgery door and walk in he's passed his Saints medical ?

why ,lets hope hes booked online ,just like the rest of us..........

2 hours ago, trousers said:

Don't be daft...someone usually opens the door for them...

And they are allowed to limp in on crutches swear blind it’s just a knock and they will be back in a couple of weeks!

I’m hoping the doc who signed off Delgado is long retired and that the one who signed of Stewart has been struck off by the GMC!

Good signing, just the sort we need. Gritty and willing to work hard in the system. His connection to AA is an added bonus.

Definite upgrade on Che IMO.

An idea of RM's thinking...

"I'm really delighted to welcome Ben to the group. He's a versatile and intelligent footballer, capable of playing in a number of positions across the forward line.

"He is a strong, powerful runner and a confident finisher with a good goalscoring record, including last season's spell in the Premier League in which he adapted to the level extremely quickly.

"He is a proper team player and the sort of hard-working, hungry character we want in our squad. His athleticism and physicality makes him a great fit for the Premier League, and we think he has all the tools to add to our attacking options."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CSA96 said:

An idea of RM's thinking...

"I'm really delighted to welcome Ben to the group. He's a versatile and intelligent footballer, capable of playing in a number of positions across the forward line.

"He is a strong, powerful runner and a confident finisher with a good goalscoring record, including last season's spell in the Premier League in which he adapted to the level extremely quickly.

"He is a proper team player and the sort of hard-working, hungry character we want in our squad. His athleticism and physicality makes him a great fit for the Premier League, and we think he has all the tools to add to our attacking options."

TLDR? He's young, hungry and guaranteed to improve.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Kenilworthy said:

If him and AA get 15 goals between them it could well be enough to make a difference this season

I don't see how we get both in the side. Both look incredibly similar imo. Neither good enough to play through the middle and both like cuttting in from the left. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4

1 minute ago, Dman said:

I don't see how we get both in the side. Both look incredibly similar imo. Neither good enough to play through the middle and both like cuttting in from the left. 

Considering Armstrong just spent the entire season playing on the right wing I have no idea what you're talking about.

• Like 3
  • Haha 11

1 minute ago, Dman said:

Armstrong spent most of his time last season on the right, so perhaps there are times where RM will play Arma on the right and Ben off the left, with a central focal point to bring others into play (new player/Stewart) - makes sense on the face of it given how high RM pushes his full backs

Edited by CSA96

Just now, Farmer Saint said:

Bloody hell, really? More than a good signing if he gets that. 

6 goals in 14 games for a pretty lacklustre Sheffield United side last season. We are good at creating chances just are pretty wasteful with them, he could be a really good fit for us.

• Like 2

Just now, Saint_clark said:

6 goals in 14 games for a pretty lacklustre Sheffield United side last season. We are good at creating chances just are pretty wasteful with them, he could be a really good fit for us.

I'm not saying he won't, but it's very bullish. 

Ben Brereton Diaz on Russell Martin: "He was lively when I met him, I think he sniffed my hair at one point, but yeah - I've only heard great things about the gaffer and I can't wait to work with him."

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ben Brereton Diaz - Official: Signs 4 Year Contract
4 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Considering Armstrong just spent the entire season playing on the right wing I have no idea what you're talking about.

Is that right? being honest, last season is already a bt of a blur, but I thought from Jan onwards, Brooks was playing on the right? 

But I guess a front 3 of BBD <someone> AA could work pretty nicely. Still wouldn't mind seeing Alcaraz played through the middle.. I wonder if BBD ability to speak spanish might help..

Edited by Dman

Just now, Lighthouse said:

I’d be pleasantly surprised if he scored 10.

he got half that in 16 games for one of the shittest teams in Premier Soccerball history. 10-12 should be realistic. 

2 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Well, if he's the Che replacement then 7+ is a good season. If he hits 10+ then he's had a very good season for a £7m signing

Nosies suggest we're looking to get another forward in. I suspect he's a replacement for Brooks / Fraser. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ben Brereton Diaz