Ben Brereton Diaz

goodymatt

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Football Special said:

Leicester home March 2023 isn't it 

Ah, thanks. The commentator during yesterday’s game mentioned something about it being March but I couldn’t find it. She also mentioned our run in the PL without a win. 16 games so far and counting.

4 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Ah, thanks. The commentator during yesterday’s game mentioned something about it being March but I couldn’t find it. She also mentioned our run in the PL without a win. 16 games so far and counting.

What's our record? Premier league record? Although doesn't really count when over different seasons with manager and players changes. 

12 minutes ago, Football Special said:

What's our record? Premier league record? Although doesn't really count when over different seasons with manager and players changes. 

No of course it doesn’t. Spyinthesky asked the question and I gave the wrong answer.

Think he has been worse than poor so far. No threat to the goal. Poor weight of pass and limited quality of first touch. Not helped by the tactics but his shithousery levels need to be backed up by being actually half decent.

Been really poor so far, doesn't seem to have the touch or skill to be able to beat a player. Hasn't had the composure to finish the odd chance he's had either - his header at St James's, for example.

5 minutes ago, saint francis said:

I'm not sure he suits being so wide.  Commentator yesterday was saying that at previous clubs he'd had a more central role?   

He's primarily played from the left as far as I know. He played there for Sheff U last season. He played in tandem with McBurnie who held it and let him run beyond from wide to central. 

I guess we shouldn't expect much if we buy up the two strikers from the worst side the PL has seen in recent years.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

He's primarily played from the left as far as I know. He played there for Sheff U last season. He played in tandem with McBurnie who held it and let him run beyond from wide to central. 

I guess we shouldn't expect much if we buy up the two strikers from the worst side the PL has seen in recent years.

Shame we don't have any strikers with the ability to do that. 

48 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Whoscored.com do match reports that show average player positions. I only looked at a random 5 or 6 but it looks like his earlier games were much like for us, him out wide left. Later games (in particular against Forest and Everton) he was much more central.

I think he looks well out of it playing on the left and would much prefer to see him bothering the opposition centre backs rather than the right back.

6 goals in 14 PL games says he’s got something about him. But he’s certainly not doing it for us so far.

• Like 1

Has good touch and very good at the round the corner pass he tried a few times yesterday.  If we had a striker in the middle, they could get quite a bit of joy off of those.

Plus, he can hit the ball hard and at goal, which seems to be a rare trait for us, we just need to create more shooting opportunities for him.

BBD scored goals for a very crap Sheffield United side so he’s got no problem at this level, unfortunately it’s the tactics that are hampering him so far. It would be good to see him and Archer line up together as strikers not cutting in from the wing so we’ve got a presence up top.

• Like 1

He and Armstrong aren't wingers at this level. They've not got the technical ability. They don't beat players. Running in behind is all they've got, and that's too basic for this league.

They might be effective as a strike partnership, with Brereton-Diaz being a bit more of a physical presence and Armstrong working off him, but I just can't see the point of either of them out wide in a slow possession team.

• Like 2

Stop trying to reinvent the wheel. Stick him up front if he plays. same with Archer. We need to settle on a system to accommodate the players, raise the tempo, cut out the tippy tappy and have a defensive back four.

• Like 5

He's one of the most techincally limited forwards we've had in a while, which is why it's madness to stick him out so far wide. If he was actually working the space between the full-back and centre-back, I could see the reasoning but he spends half his time dropping deep or wide to collect the ball.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Who sanctioned the signing of this cart horse? 

We’re playing with 10 men every week with this guy jogging about on the wing doing fuck all. 

Straight back to the championship in January you go. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

Who sanctioned the signing of this cart horse? 

We’re playing with 10 men every week with this guy jogging about on the wing doing fuck all. 

Straight back to the championship in January you go. 

So we can join him in May ? 

I'm really not seeing the logic of playing him so wide when we have other obviously better options in that position. He doesn't appear to have any of the attributes you would expect from a winger, like pace or dribbling ability.

I want to believe he is actually a better player than we have seen from him so far, but he needs to be played in the right position to prove that, and LW ain't it.

• Like 7

55 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I'm really not seeing the logic of playing him so wide when we have other obviously better options in that position. He doesn't appear to have any of the attributes you would expect from a winger, like pace or dribbling ability.

I want to believe he is actually a better player than we have seen from him so far, but he needs to be played in the right position to prove that, and LW ain't it.

Just watched all his Blackburn goals.

Lots of them from central positions, and a lot of them against defences that are dropping back. He can take it in from the right or left channel for a decent shot too. A few scrappy ones in there, which I don't mind at all from a goalscorer. Has a good header about him too. And penalty conversion.

So, to play him wide left while allowing every opponent to drop back and reset, offer no heading opportunities and not give him a penalty kick is utter madness.

Edited by Holmes_and_Watson
  • Like 3

He's no winger that's for sure, but there's no excuses for the poor work rate. Pains me to say it, but I'd prefer Mara trotting around over there than him. 

Edited by egg

4 minutes ago, egg said:

He's no winger that's for sure, but there's no excuses for the poor work rate. Pains me to say it, but I'd prefer Mara trotting around over there than him. 

Agree there. He offered very little in a defensive capacity. Fraser did the moment he came on

• Like 2

1 minute ago, egg said:

Not sure I’d go that far but appreciate what you are saying. Needs to be up front, use his physique. The work rate across a lot of the team after the first goal today was well below professional standards, and I mean even lower leagues and below. Dibling, KWP and Lesley excepted from that comment but that’s insufficient, all 10 outfield players have to be fully committed and organised doing their jobs. 

Just now, AlexLaw76 said:

Agree there. He offered very little in a defensive capacity. Fraser did the moment he came on

Yep. Fraser is a trier that's for sure. I still think BBD may have something through the middle, and if he'd taken the pen as he should have done and scored, who knows how the match would have gone and what we'd be saying about him! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gloucester Saint said:

Not sure I’d go that far but appreciate what you are saying. Needs to be up front, use his physique. The work rate across a lot of the team after the first goal today was well below professional standards, and I mean even lower leagues and below. Dibling, KWP and Lesley excepted from that comment but that’s insufficient, all 10 outfield players have to be fully committed and organised doing their jobs. 

Yep, and I'm concerned about the lack of work rate across the board. If the players are properly managed, motivated and committed to the cause, we wouldn't be seeing that. 

• Like 2