Ben Brereton Diaz

goodymatt

Thought this was worthy of its own thread now he appears to be joining Saints.

IMG_3207.thumb.jpeg.4c63de880a44095e9413adf869d928de.jpegIMG_3208.thumb.jpeg.edf5eaa79d9b61fefbd09673766dc567.jpeg

Here are all his goals at Blackburn Rovers:

I also found 5 of his 6 goals for Sheffield United:

I think for £7m rising to £8m (assume that’s if we stay up), its a very sensible signing. He looks like a player that can score all types of goals. Has good strength, can hold it up but also runs in behind well. At 25 years old there is still scope for further development too. Only question is if he will play wide striker or as our main striker, he seems to do well from LW.

• Like 4

You’d back him to get 10-12 goals a season given his performance at Sheffield United which for £7m is great business and something we’ve not had since the Koeman days

• Like 10

52 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

IMG_3207.thumb.jpeg.4c63de880a44095e9413adf869d928de.jpegIMG_3208.thumb.jpeg.edf5eaa79d9b61fefbd09673766dc567.jpeg

I think for £7m rising to £8m (assume that’s if we stay up), its a very sensible signing. He looks like a player that can score all types of goals. Has good strength, can hold it up but also runs in behind well. At 25 years old there is still scope for further development too. Only question is if he will play wide striker or as our main striker, he seems to do well from LW.

Díaz on the Stewart down the middle Armstrong right maybe?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Surprised to read from his wiki, he’s 6 foot 1. I had him down for under 6 foot. Quite happy to realise I’m wrong.

Hopefully some genuine physicality to go with it.

Like the goalscoring record; for the fee it seems excellent business.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Surprised to read from his wiki, he’s 6 foot 1. I had him down for under 6 foot. Quite happy to realise I’m wrong.

Same here! 

I honestly thought he was just identical to Armstrong for some bizarre reason.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Heard he didn't change his name for Chile, but he actually added Diaz in order to attract Saints into adding him to the double barrelled quota.

Has English father and mother is from Chile.  Has played 30+ games for Chile in last few years and was at Blackburn at the same time as Adam Armstrong.

Impressive looking goal tally when at Blackburn... (see YOU TUBE). 

At 6' 1" will add a bit more height to the front line , and at 25 has a good few years in him.  Looks to be a good signing if medical is OK. 

• Like 2

Happy with that, and was happy when I was told that it was a proper goer last week - assume he's going to play up top rather than off the left - convert him a bit like Antonio. 

Edited by Farmer Saint
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, goodymatt said:

Sulemena and Mara could do with watching those penalties. That's how you do it. 

• Like 3

At £7m I think he’s an excellent buy, was expecting £15m!

I think he’ll get 10-15 goals in the prem.

Seems to fit the Martin mould too, was at Blackburn with Armstrong and Taylor Harwood Bellis (Rothwell too) so we know what kind of character we are buying into.

i think he’s an upgrade on Che, time will tell how much of an upgrade 

• Like 3

I would be happy going into the season with BBD as our first choice 9 as long as we sign Ramsdale. O Riley would be a plus too though I think Dibling could shine too if given the shirt.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

So, according to that analysis, his strongest position is exactly the same as Adam Armstrong's then? i.e. wider on the right rather than as a central striker? Assume we'll sign a centre forward too in that case...?

Edited by trousers

5 hours ago, goodymatt said:

Interesting video on how the Chile opportunity came about. 

This is 16 minutes that every Saints fan needs to watch. This is a proper football fairy tale story. Looks like Saints might have also bought an entire country of potential Saints supporters, as well as a handy striker who can score all sorts of goals.

Clearly a confidence player though, so lets not get on his back if he doesn't score in the first half of his debut 😉

• Like 4

Here is another go at posting the statistical analysis of BBD, which I tried to put on the transfer window thread but could not get the chart on it; the link should give you the full text and the chart:

https://eplindex.com/116060/report-southampton-targeting-a-move-for-former-la-liga-star-forward.html

Not an out and out CF but looks like he could play on the left (or right) as part of a front two with AA on the right.  And seems to have the ability to play in the middle up front on his own or in a front three.

Hopefully the eplindex analysis complements the videos posted above.

2 minutes ago, Tommy Mulgrew said:

Not an out and out CF but looks like he could play on the left (or right) as part of a front two with AA on the right.  And seems to have the ability to play in the middle up front on his own or in a front three.

Rovers fan in that earlier video suggested that BBD's slow start there was because he wasn't being played on the left. Seems to have supported Alexi Sanchez playing for Chile, also from the left. 

So that's BBD on the left and Arma on the right - the Blackburn dream team reuinted. Do we play 3-5-2, or 4-2-2-2? or will we continue to play 4-3-3 and play Stewart or AN Other between them (or Dibling as a false 9!)

Personally think this is a class signing for the money. Fancy him to become a bit of a fan favourite at saints. He's got something about him for me - good movement, bursts of pace when he needs them, strength in holding off defenders once he's beyond them, a hell of a shot on him, but also a directness and calmness/composure to vary his finishing. Takes a mean penalty as well. This is a good signing for us. Reckon he'll bag 10-15goals (provided we aren't god awful next season 😅).

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Rovers fan in that earlier video suggested that BBD's slow start there was because he wasn't being played on the left. Seems to have supported Alexi Sanchez playing for Chile, also from the left. 

So that's BBD on the left and Arma on the right - the Blackburn dream team reuinted. Do we play 3-5-2, or 4-2-2-2? or will we continue to play 4-3-3 and play Stewart or AN Other between them (or Dibling as a false 9!)

I wonder if we had signed Delap, if we woukd have gone for Diaz as well. Might give us a clue about if we are in for another or not. 

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

The header against Argentina is excellent. Seems to have a decent turn of pace for a striker his size too.

He looks to be a huge upgrade on Che.

• Like 1

In financial terms it's a pretty shrewd signing too. For £7m and the sort of salary he is on, if he has one good scoring season he becomes great value and would sell for 2/3 times that amount - and if things go the other way and we go down, he's the sort of player (like Arma) who can help get you back up without too much threat of losing him (unless he has a great season)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trousers said:

So, according to that analysis, his strongest position is exactly the same as Adam Armstrong's then? i.e. wider on the right rather than as a central striker? Assume we'll sign a centre forward too in that case...?

This is my belief. I think we’ll end up with the forward line we’ve been crying out for, for the last 4-5 years 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, david in sweden said:

Has English father and mother is from Chile.  Has played 30+ games for Chile in last few years and was at Blackburn at the same time as Adam Armstrong.

Impressive looking goal tally when at Blackburn... (see YOU TUBE). 

At 6' 1" will add a bit more height to the front line , and at 25 has a good few years in him.  Looks to be a good signing if medical is OK. 

No worry, our medical is easy to pass. 

imagine Diaz on the left, Arm on the right and Mara on the middle to watch. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Seems like a real character and a likable guy. 

And that does count for something.  Martin does seem to be assembling a group of likeable characters who play for the shirt and each other.  You can't discount BBD's performances for Chile either, alongside the likes of Vidal and Sanchez - he hasn't looked out of place.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

A few on here have been touting his name for a few years.

I hope he turns out to be better than the last one of those that we actually ended up signing - Duje Caleta-Car.

Forbes Phillipson Masters was ok.

11 hours ago, trousers said:

visuals for his Stats at Sheffield

image.png
image.png.dd296bfd6de37163d8c073257f9891fe.png

Edited by Nolan

Great business at a low price! Feels more like the wide option RM mentioned, but with flexibility to play 9.

I still fancy a marquee signing to come in to play as the 9, if we manage to get O'Riley and Ramsdale in on it would be an excellent window. Both are likely to have bigger suitors though 

47 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

Great business at a low price! Feels more like the wide option RM mentioned, but with flexibility to play 9.

I still fancy a marquee signing to come in to play as the 9, if we manage to get O'Riley and Ramsdale in on it would be an excellent window. Both are likely to have bigger suitors though 

If we can pull O'Reily off that will be our marque signing.

12 hours ago, CSA96 said:

12 hours ago, trousers said:

1 hour ago, Nolan said:

visuals for his Stats at Sheffield

image.png
image.png.dd296bfd6de37163d8c073257f9891fe.png

Yeah, defo more of a left sided attacker than that MotD footage seemed to suggest. Quite excited by this signing.... has good vibes about it, especially after just watching that "Real Stories" video. 

Edited by trousers

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ben Brereton Diaz