Paris Olympics

Picard

A random observation ;

DuPlantis has just won the pole vault and set a new OR at over 6 metres. If you laid his record height on the ground it would still be over two and a half metres short of the long jump world record.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Why is it still the case that tennis and golf are in the Olympics and something like squash isn't? Personally I much prefer the sports that could do with the exposure and are things we don't see every day. 

Do you think breakdancing is an Olympic 'sport' Other disciplines lose events to allow things like that in, as there are limits imposed on the number of events that can be held, and the overall number of competitors.

Just now, badgerx16 said:

Do you think breakdancing is an Olympic 'sport' Other disciplines lose events to allow things like that in, as there are limits imposed on the number of events that can be held, and the overall number of competitors.

No not really I think that's stupid but I suppose their argument would be they are attracting a younger, more diverse audience by staying current. I just think for something like golf you should change it up a bit maybe and have a mixed doubles golf tournament instead of the singles or have futsal or indoor football. I wouldn't have tennis in it at all but a racket sport like squash woukd be desperate to be in there. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

No not really I think that's stupid but I suppose their argument would be they are attracting a younger, more diverse audience by staying current. I just think for something like golf you should change it up a bit maybe and have a mixed doubles golf tournament instead of the singles or have futsal or indoor football. I wouldn't have tennis in it at all but a racket sport like squash woukd be desperate to be in there. 

The way Padel is growing that'll be an Olympic sport before Squash will. 

• Like 1

IMO there's too many Olympic sports that shouldn't be there, or at least not in their current formats.  For a sport to get in the Olympics, winning it should be seen as the pinnacle of that sport.

Tennis: 4 Majors held every year, all dating way back.  The Olympics is quite big but not as much as those.  Davis Cup also provides a team aspect for playing for your country.

Golf: See above re the 4 Majors.  The positive of the Olympics is that it lets the players play for their countries rather than themselves, which there is limited opportunity for in pro golf.  But if golf is going to be in there I think it should be more of a team format, maybe two-player teams where they do separate rounds of two-man scramble; two-man better ball; two-man foursomes; two-man best overall gross score. 

Other sports like football, all a bit rubbish having that.  The under-23 things (except three others who can be overaged) is just a bit of a nonsense.

Horse dancing can just get in the bin as well.

3 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

IMO there's too many Olympic sports that shouldn't be there, or at least not in their current formats.  For a sport to get in the Olympics, winning it should be seen as the pinnacle of that sport.

Tennis: 4 Majors held every year, all dating way back.  The Olympics is quite big but not as much as those.  Davis Cup also provides a team aspect for playing for your country.

Golf: See above re the 4 Majors.  The positive of the Olympics is that it lets the players play for their countries rather than themselves, which there is limited opportunity for in pro golf.  But if golf is going to be in there I think it should be more of a team format, maybe two-player teams where they do separate rounds of two-man scramble; two-man better ball; two-man foursomes; two-man best overall gross score. 

Other sports like football, all a bit rubbish having that.  The under-23 things (except three others who can be overaged) is just a bit of a nonsense.

Horse dancing can just get in the bin as well.

is Skateboarding even a sport?

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

is Skateboarding even a sport?

I watched ten minutes of it yesterday, load of rubbish.  Just a bunch of teenagers being all stoked and awesome and super happy to be there.  Surfing as well, they're holding it 10,000 miles away in Tahiti ffs.  Its a bit like London 2012 having sheepdog trials based in the Falklands.

14 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

They have 11 year olds competing!

I am sure I read some where that break dancing is included this time?

11 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I watched ten minutes of it yesterday, load of rubbish.  Just a bunch of teenagers being all stoked and awesome and super happy to be there.  Surfing as well, they're holding it 10,000 miles away in Tahiti ffs.  Its a bit like London 2012 having sheepdog trials based in the Falklands.

i watched a bit yesterday too, i think the oldest person was 20, the rest were all really young, 13, 14, 15 and all as Kraken says being, like so awesome. All giving it the heart shaped finger sign thing when the camera was on them, a couple dancing as they were being announced. What they were doing wasn't too bad but it's not a sport is it. Same with BMXing, how is that a sport? 

29 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Yeah I didn't get that. Is it just that older people don't do it? I can't seriously imagine that an 11 year old is the best skateboarder for their country. Is it to attract young people? 

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Yeah I didn't get that. Is it just that older people don't do it? I can't seriously imagine that an 11 year old is the best skateboarder for their country. Is it to attract young people? 

Today GB have a 51 yr old doing 🛹.

Just back from Paris, it was all very well run tbf, saw 5 events and no issues getting around / getting in.  The stadiums are all decent too.

Think they screwed themselves with a pants opening ceremony, but they've been unlucky that the games has been overshadowed by politics and it could just be me, but it feels like there are fewer "stars" this year.

8 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Just back from Paris, it was all very well run tbf, saw 5 events and no issues getting around / getting in.  The stadiums are all decent too.

Think they screwed themselves with a pants opening ceremony, but they've been unlucky that the games has been overshadowed by politics and it could just be me, but it feels like there are fewer "stars" this year.

Definitely less stars in athletics. The French swimmer was decent, Simone biles and duplantis smashing the world record also great for non gb performers. 

2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Ballroom dancing is also recognised by the IOC.

Edited by badgerx16

BBC's coverage of the track sprinting on BBC2 comes to and end just before Jack Carlin's heat - "Switch to BBC1 to continue watching". Switch over and "Cycling is coming up, but first .......sailing".

Switch over to Discovery+. I understand there are other sports but surely they could have waited 5 minutes for Carlin and Hamish Turnbull to compete, the bloody dingys will be going for a while yet.

Edited by badgerx16

20 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

BBC's coverage of the track sprinting on BBC2 comes to and end just before Jack Carlin's heat - "Switch to BBC1 to continue watching". Switch over and "Cycling is coming up, but first .......sailing".

Switch over to Discovery+. I understand there are other sports but surely they could have waited 5 minutes for Carlin and Hamish Turnbull to compete, the bloody dingys will be going for a while yet.

Eurosport for all the cycling ;)

16 minutes ago, Turkish said:

the power lifters are incredible, currently clean and nearly 200kg, more than double what i was ever able to do.

Having that weight resting on the top of the chest/shoulders must be horrible

Just now, Lighthouse said:

I know it’s immature but I love hearing the ‘tators talking about somebody’s ‘biggest snatch’.

i heard "big numbers in his snatch" earlier, raised a giggle. 

5 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Having that weight resting on the top of the chest/shoulders must be horrible

i always found the jerk the hardest bit, the clean was okay. You need to drop under it but you see so many people not doing it properly and trying to press some of it which makes it impossible once the weights get bigger,  having 200kg plus above your head, wow.

37 minutes ago, Turkish said:

the power lifters are incredible, currently clean and nearly 200kg, more than double what i was ever able to do.

That’s the Olympics for you. These athletes are all streets ahead of us pathetic amateurs. Did you see people trying to run on treadmill at the same pace Keely Hodgkinson runs for 800m?

3 hours ago, whelk said:

That’s the Olympics for you. These athletes are all streets ahead of us pathetic amateurs. Did you see people trying to run on treadmill at the same pace Keely Hodgkinson runs for 800m?

yes. just watching the womens 10k. They're running 10k at 3 minutes per KM.

13 hours ago, Turkish said:

yes. just watching the womens 10k. They're running 10k at 3 minutes per KM.

That's ridiculously fast. I used to finish treadmill runs at 20kph for a reasonable distance and always felt I was gonna fly off the back. Sustaining that over 10k is insane. The levels of these athletes is amazing. 

Breaking is in there to capture a younger generation...

Breakin'_movie_poster.jpg

... from 1984. Who are more concerned with breaking a hip these days.

I was going to say I was looking forward to hula hooping being another event the committee could use to capture a youth market. But there's already a hoop in the gymnastics they could use.

Perhaps Space Hopper races?

• 4 weeks later...

Bloody impressive at the Paralympics

Well clear second in Medals table, although must admit I’ve watched very little of it. Well done and fair play to some very determined individuals.

IMG_1167.thumb.jpeg.0b59e98fa6c39feb0b59dd69f76037f4.jpeg