Jack Stephens contract extension

CSA96

Club have triggered an option in his contract to add an extra year, meaning he's now out of contract in the summer of 2026 instead. Saves on negotiating a long-term extension, given he will be 32 by the time this deal ends

Edited by CSA96
  • Like 3

I don't think he's someone that offers us much as a Prem defender but if we do go back down it secures him for that season alongside the youngsters (assuming we'd lose THB) so the foresight is good on this one. He's also a pro and has been around the club for donkeys.

Edited by SNSUN

Good news. Only one more year so no massive exposure. We need to add quality but we don't want tons of ins and outs rocking the harmony / camaraderie in the group

He's clearly well liked and one of the important characters.

Whilst he's never going to be a van Dijk or a Alderweirald, he's played a role in some big performances for us at PL level.

• Like 6

Good contract business 👍 
A loyal 'core' player in the squad. Loves his club and is well liked by RM and team mates. Experienced defender who is tactically adabtable -> played a vital part in the end of last season -> key player in beating Leeds at Wembley. Having been here since around 2011 he is a natural club captain.
Keeping him for two more years , until' he's 32 , makes good sense and will not destroy our budget. Congrats' Jack and Saints 🥰 

RAaja_fN.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

We need to be ruthless as a club. We are still giving out contracts to players that are not good enough for the Premier League. Stephens should be moved on even if we don't get a fee for him at the end of his contract. 

I don't think that's fair on a few accounts. Firstly he's the club captain, clearly a massive voice and respected figure in and around the group.

The contract we gave out was before the start of last season, it just included an option to trigger an extension. We haven't just given him a brand new long term deal, just trigged an option in the existing. Nothing to really see here.

• Like 2

My views on Stephens are pretty well known but to be fair despite his lack of quality he does seem like a great leader. Don't mind having him around as back up at all but we can't be starting him in the premier league. I'd like to see Downes or THB given the on field captaincy next season (suspect it'll continue to be AA though). 

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

I don't think that's fair on a few accounts. Firstly he's the club captain, clearly a massive voice and respected figure in and around the group.

The contract we gave out was before the start of last season, it just included an option to trigger an extension. We haven't just given him a brand new long term deal, just trigged an option in the existing. Nothing to really see here.

The option to renew shouldn't have been included to be honest. We all moaned like fuck when he was brought back into a Championship team, what's it going to be like when he starts the first game of this season? Great lads around the club don't make great players. We've had too many of those in the past. 

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Agre with Clarke. Would have created confusion to not give him that one year extension that he unquestionably deserves.
Nothing to really see here 👍

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kristian Loekkegaard said:

Agre with Clarke. Would have created confusion to not give him that one year extension that he unquestionably deserves.
Nothing to really see here 👍

Deserves? I didn't realise Southampton Football Club was a charity now. I like Stephens, committed player. But hugely limited and in truth should be nowhere near a Premier League squad. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Deserves? I didn't realise Southampton Football Club was a charity now. I like Stephens, committed player. But hugely limited and in truth should be nowhere near a Premier League squad. 

Ok, I may be a little sentimental , and I get your point of view, but it could have created bad atmosphere if Stephens was not awarded with a one year extension that was already pre-arranged if we were promoted as I understand it.
He seems a good leader, but I'm not saying that he's a starter. He is loyal,  I like him and I think he deserves to stay with us till' he is 32.
It's not destroying our budget to keep him, I imagine. Good squad player and leader. 

1 hour ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Bournemouth and their fans didn't think so.

He deserves his extension. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Kristian Loekkegaard said:

Ok, I may be a little sentimental , and I get your point of view, but it could have created bad atmosphere if Stephens was not awarded with a one year extension that was already pre-arranged if we were promoted as I understand it.
He seems a good leader, but I'm not saying that he's a starter. He is loyal,  I like him and I think he deserves to stay with us till' he is 32.
It's not destroying our budget to keep him, I imagine. Good squad player and leader. 

I get what you are saying, but there does come a time when you have to put quality before sentiment. I loved Yoshida, but we knew  we had to move on from him. I would not have put that obligation in to be honest, much rather have told him he can stay for another year, but we wouldn't have renewed after that. That way he could have assessed his options and moved on if he wanted. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, egg said:

Bournemouth and their fans didn't think so.

He deserves his extension. 

So we can all lose our shit when he starts against Newcastle. Like I said earlier, I think he is a commited player and his passion for us is probably not in doubt, but we all know he isn't good enough. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I get what you are saying, but there does come a time when you have to put quality before sentiment. I loved Yoshida, but we knew  we had to move on from him. I would not have put that obligation in to be honest, much rather have told him he can stay for another year, but we wouldn't have renewed after that. That way he could have assessed his options and moved on if he wanted. 

Good point and I like the Yoshida analogy. Yes we certainly could have done that with Jack, even without being assholes at all.
I guess Nigel Adkins - probably the best human being in the football manager business - did more or less that to his captain Dean Hammond when we were promoted in 2012.

I am sentimental 👍

On 20/07/2024 at 13:27, Lee On Solent Saint said:

We need to be ruthless as a club. We are still giving out contracts to players that are not good enough for the Premier League. Stephens should be moved on even if we don't get a fee for him at the end of his contract. 

He helped keep Bompey up as we plummeted to relegation. Also helped keep us up for numerous seasons previously. Some people have a weird view as to what is good enough for the prem

Edited by Baird of the land
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Baird of the land said:

He helped keep Bompey up as we plummeted to relegation. Also helped keep us up for numerous seasons previously. Some people have a weird view as to what is good enough for the prem

Fine, if you think he is good enough. I don't share that opinion, no drama though.

He'll put in performances next season which suggest he absolutely is good enough to play in the Premier League. But he'll also have plenty of shockers. Which will nicely summarise why he plays for us not somebody better. Good to have him on board for longer, but it wouldn't be a bad thing if we sign a better player in his position.

It was really a no-brainer to trigger the automatic clause in his contract and agree that not doing so would have been the stranger decision.

He's always going to be a player that divides opinion, so no surprise the hyperbole on here. All views welcome of course.

I can completely see why Martin wants him here.  He's a bit like Martin was as a player, he's versatile, he does that inverted Stones thingy that Martin sometimes likes, he seems to have found his place as club leader on the pitch, and he's not going to throw his toys out of the pram if he's not picked.  For me a good squad member vying with the rest for a starting 11 place.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, goodymatt said:

Training separately with Lallana in Spain today and missed the first pre season game altogether. Any idea what his injury is?

Surely not! Lallana training separately....... injured? This cannot be true. Frankly, I don't believe you.