Jason Wilcox replacement

Has there been any news/developments in terms of a replacement for Wilcox? Who is undertaking his duties ? Or have we decided that it was all a bit unnecessary and he was deadweight? 

also, what’s happened to the forum search function? (Granted I might be being an idiot, but I couldn’t find in on my phone) 

Darren Mowbray is continuing to lead the recruitment/scouting with Russell Martin, and Phil Parsons is negotiating the transfers

Mark Bitcon (head of performance) is picking up the other side of Wilcox's work across other departments

Edited by CSA96
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, imadirtyurchin said:

Is that temporary or permanent? Any noise about filling the vacancy? Or is there no longer a vacancy? 

There was no rush as far as I heard, as CSA said above - Darren Mowbray stepped up. The idea was the club were reviewing structures and looking at within, and may not even replace him with another DoF.

I think the search function was disabled when we had those massive database slowdowns a year or so ago.

23 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

There was no rush as far as I heard, as CSA said above - Darren Mowbray stepped up. The idea was the club were reviewing structures and looking at within, and may not even replace him with another DoF.

I think the search function was disabled when we had those massive database slowdowns a year or so ago.

Well if Darren Mowbray can step into Jason Wilcox's shoes he was clearly not as good as he was made out to be and we were paying him far too much.

To be fair to Wilcox, he came in and changed the structure completely. He chose Martin and we went up first time of asking. I don’t think he was surplus to requirements, he just took an opportunity that was too good to turn down and we are once agains left in limbo. Must be difficult to find a replacement that won’t change things.

Edited by goodymatt

4 hours ago, CSA96 said:

Darren Mowbray is continuing to lead the recruitment/scouting with Russell Martin, and Phil Parsons is negotiating the transfers

Mark Bitcon (head of performance) is picking up the other side of Wilcox's work across other departments

finally some knowledge on saintsweb

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I notice on the OS announcement of the Solent Fans Forum that Mark Bitcon is now referred to as Director of Football Operations, rather than Director of Performance, which is the title he was given on his arrival in the summer of 2023. Bitcon was also in Spain for the duration of the training camp and was pictured/filmed a few times with Martin at training and before the games - so I think that probably answers this one now.

Parsons, Bitcon, Mowbray, Martin is the group leading on player trading and working with the ownership group, with Parsons leading on negotiations (as per P'boro owner Darragh MacAnthony who said Ankersen is now not involved with Saints as he was before, and didn't discuss Ronnie Edwards with him - he mentioned that he reached out to Rasmus when Saints made an approach and then was told by RA that he wasn't the person to speak to anymore)

Edited by CSA96

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

The record shows that the foundations he set got promoted & ensured we got top dollar on sales.

we got promoted via the play off ,if bazuna had got injured mid season or had been dropped as he should have been we would have been top two.Wilcox joined in january 2023,a disaster window as i recall,players saints sold for a profit were mainly already here long before he rocked up.Was it him keeping bazuna in goal because any sensible manager would have dropped his sorry arse,basically if it was on target it was in,can you imagine how many he would have let in say playing for rotherham,150 +,sorry for me no loss.

Just now, sledger said:

we got promoted via the play off ,if bazuna had got injured mid season or had been dropped as he should have been we would have been top two.Wilcox joined in january 2023,a disaster window as i recall,players saints sold for a profit were mainly already here long before he rocked up.Was it him keeping bazuna in goal because any sensible manager would have dropped his sorry arse,basically if it was on target it was in,can you imagine how many he would have let in say playing for rotherham,150 +,sorry for me no loss.

Well, apart from the bit where he was still working at Man City in January 2023 and had no input in signing all of those players because Rasmus was filling the role temporarily, you're spot on.

46 minutes ago, sledger said:

I'm sure some of what you're saying is worth reading. The trouble is that without any capitals or punctuation it is too much of a ball ache to bother reading.

Plus I immediately dismiss the opinion of anyone who after 26 months and 73 appearances cannot spell the name of our first choice keeper (even if that choice is questionable)

Meant as constructive criticism, but no doubt given your username I will now get an earful back.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

I'm sure some of what you're saying is worth reading. The trouble is that without any capitals or punctuation it is too much of a ball ache to bother reading.

Plus I immediately dismiss the opinion of anyone who after 26 months and 73 appearances cannot spell the name of our first choice keeper (even if that choice is questionable)

Meant as constructive criticism, but no doubt given your username I will now get an earful back.

i am deeply sorry that my post so offended  youre literal perfection and although it was to much of a ball ache to bother reading you read enough to find fault with it all.I mistakenly thought this was a football forum for peoples opinions not literal excellence,however i take youre constructive criticism on board and will try harder.Back to football have you an opinion on whether Jason Wilcox is a loss or have you not managed to read this far.

3 minutes ago, sledger said:

Back to football have you an opinion on whether Jason Wilcox is a loss or have you not managed to read this far.

As I understand it Wilcox was partly hired to completely reorganise our football structures. Presumably still carrying elements of Ralph's 'Playbook' structure, which would have been teaching our kids to press high up and win the ball in 'the red zone'. But also find our two centre backs completely over run when our press is broken...

Having had 10 years at Man City running their academy he will have seen what a world leading structure for teaching possession based football looks like. By all accounts he worked hard to set up those structures, and you would imagine that the lion's share of that work would have been done by the time he was headhunted.

It sucks that we keep having great staff poached. But it would seem that we did get benefit from his time here, and perhaps that was where his expertise lay. Now that he is gone we can divide the other roles around to capable people, and leave in place that Man City style academy training structure, along with a best practice guide that you imagine would have been part of it. 

We may get a new DoF in time, but I don't see the urgency unless we find ourselves winless by December.

Of course all of this is conjecture on my part based on what I have read. Only those in the building and working in those departments will know the real story.

23 hours ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Its quite an impressive effort

"In total, there are approximately 20 grammatical errors in this text, including punctuation, capitalization, run-on sentences, and spacing issues. The text is written in a very informal, stream-of-consciousness style, which contributes to many of these errors."

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, sledger said:

i am deeply sorry that my post so offended  youre literal perfection and although it was to much of a ball ache to bother reading you read enough to find fault with it all.I mistakenly thought this was a football forum for peoples opinions not literal excellence,however i take youre constructive criticism on board and will try harder.Back to football have you an opinion on whether Jason Wilcox is a loss or have you not managed to read this far.

In total, there are approximately 15 grammatical errors in this text, including punctuation, capitalization, spelling, apostrophe usage, and run-on sentences. Like the previous example, this text is written in a very informal, conversational style, which contributes to many of these errors.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

hahahahhaah sorry sledger i was bored enough.

I think wilcox was a loss only in so much of his knowledge of man city and youth football rather than as a sporting director.

at last an opinion and i am in agreement with you,by the way what was the spelling mistake is it letters or an apostrophe problem,for my education obviously.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, sledger said:

at last an opinion and i am in agreement with you,by the way what was the spelling mistake is it letters or an apostrophe problem,for my education obviously.

hahahahaaha

To analyze the grammatical errors in the given sentence, I'll need to carefully examine it. Let me break it down and point out the errors:

"we got promoted via the play off ,if bazuna had got injured mid season or had been dropped as he should have been we would have been top two."

Errors:

Missing capitalization at the beginning of the sentence.
"play off" should be "play-offs" (hyphenated and plural).
Missing space after the comma before "if".
Run-on sentence; should be split into two sentences.
"Wilcox joined in january 2023,a disaster window as i recall,players saints sold for a profit were mainly already here long before he rocked up."

Errors:

"january" should be capitalized as "January".
Missing spaces after commas.
"i" should be capitalized as "I".
Run-on sentence; should be split or use semicolons.
"Was it him keeping bazuna in goal because any sensible manager would have dropped his sorry arse,basically if it was on target it was in,can you imagine how many he would have let in say playing for rotherham,150 +,sorry for me no loss."

Errors:

"bazuna" should be capitalized if it's a name.
Missing question mark after the question.
"arse" is informal; in formal writing, it should be replaced.
Missing spaces after commas.
"rotherham" should be capitalized as "Rotherham".
Improper spacing in "150 +"; should be "150+".
Run-on sentence; should be split into multiple sentences.

• Haha 3

On 07/08/2024 at 10:35, sledger said:

We got promoted via the play offs, If Bazunu a had got injured mid season, or had been dropped; as he should have been. We would have been top two. Wilcox joined in January 2023; , a disaster window as I recall. , The players Saints sold for a profit were mainly already here long before he rocked up.

Was it him keeping Bazunu a in goal? Because any sensible manager would have dropped his sorry arse. , Basically, if it was on target it was in. , Can you imagine how many he would have let in - say playing for Rotherham? , 150 + !!  , Sorry for me no loss.

This isn't me taking the piss (well not much) But read back those two passages. Which is easier to read? Which better communicates your argument? I recognise that we all post quickly and perfect grammar isn't always there. But full stops and capitals don't seem too much to ask. [Genuinely meant in the best spirit] 

Edited by Patches O Houlihan
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

Times change and so too job titles and responsibilities. 

We recall when Rupert Lowe ( a previous club chairman / now MP) ...bought in (Sir) Clive Woodward and frightened Harry Redknapp 

away with some sort of bluff job title and a course of hokus-pokus coaching methods that worked well with the English Rugby side.

A few decades ago clubs starting getting " DOF's" in as directors (who could hold the fort) in the interim after clubs had sacked managers.

Jason Wilcox really was a one-off in terms of his experience and history and is likely irreplaceable. 

We have a group of new faces behind the scenes and so we may not even try to replace JW. 

Often good leaders are not always "appointed", but may well..." emerge " from the existing staff. 

Any" bright spark " who worked alongside JW for the time he was here must have learned something that the club can use effectively.

Edited by david in sweden

On 08/08/2024 at 11:51, Patches O Houlihan said:

We got promoted via the play offs, If Bazunu a had got injured mid season, or had been dropped; as he should have been. We would have been top two. Wilcox joined in January 2023; , a disaster window as I recall. , The players Saints sold for a profit were mainly already here long before he rocked up.

Was it him keeping Bazunu a in goal? Because any sensible manager would have dropped his sorry arse. , Basically, if it was on target it was in. , Can you imagine how many he would have let in - say playing for Rotherham? , 150 + !!  , Sorry for me no loss.

This isn't me taking the piss (well not much) But read back those two passages. Which is easier to read? Which better communicates your argument? I recognise that we all post quickly and perfect grammar isn't always there. But full stops and capitals don't seem too much to ask. [Genuinely meant in the best spirit] 

The first one is definitely more readable. The corrections you have put in bold and struck through make it hard on the eyes and less intelligible. I think comments like this, although helpful, should be done via private message.