The Starmer Years - Can The New Broom Sweep Clean?

sadoldgit

6 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

it's a contract negotiation like the hundreds that have happen since Bevan. I thought you believed in capitalism.

Course it’s a negotiation, there is nothing more capitalist than a man withdrawing his labour, for more money. It’s every man for himself & fuck everyone else. Doctors are the biggest capitalists in the NHS, always have been, yet a load of mugs think they’re saints. 

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Not quite as spectacular as lefties hailing the removal of £300 from pensioners just on the basic pension & even calling for the Government to go further. All whilst they leave people on 50k free to claim child benefit with no 2 child limit. I guess we’re all evil Tories now. 

New broom 

I guess the left aren't the nasty radicals you have always been scared of.

Labour rebuilding Britain one brick at a time.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

I guess the left aren't the nasty radicals you have always been scared of. 

😂😂 Radicals, never thought that for one minute. They’ve been the establishment the past 30 friggin years. About as radical as the Tory Establishment of the 50’s & 60’s. 

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Course it’s a negotiation, there is nothing more capitalist than a man withdrawing his labour, for more money. It’s every man for himself & fuck everyone else. Doctors are the biggest capitalists in the NHS, always have been, yet a load of mugs think they’re saints. 

Clueless. They are not withdrawing their labour, they are not direct employees, they are private contractors working to the terms of their contracts.

Plenty will be Tory doctors happy to rock the boat, doing they're bit for the tory party.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

If only Liz Truss had taken a few weeks off eh?

Think I'll keep a running tally of how many times you mention the tories in response to a post about labour. You can't keep this up for five years surely? 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Think I'll keep a running tally of how many times you mention the tories in response to a post about labour. You can't keep this up for five years surely? 

Tired of Sunday rain, Holmes and Watson nip into the future... Checking into SaintsWeb...

27 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I can't believe you kept that up for five years!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Are they empty threats from Sir Kier?

Last week all the prisons were full. This week all the thugs will be locked up.

Maybe the Bibby Stockholm will get a reprieve after all?

Dartmoor prison is completely empty at the moment, rumour is that it's going to stay that way.

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Depressingly I think this is accurate. 

Will be 5 years of Soggy and Rallyboy excusing all the actions they would have slammed Boris/the Tory’s for.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

13 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Will be 5 years of Soggy and Rallyboy excusing all the actions they would have slammed Boris/the Tory’s for.

Plus getting egg on face with comments about the likes of Huw Edwards before throwing that particular comment down the memory hole... 

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

That appalling excuse for a government set the precedent, after 14 years the worst of the cunts were still blaming Labour, all the way to the fucking JobCentre.  

It was hilarious then, and still is now!  🤣

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, rallyboy said:

That appalling excuse for a government set the precedent, after 14 years the worst of the cunts were still blaming Labour, all the way to the fucking JobCentre.  

It was hilarious then, and still is now!  🤣

Great idea to copy the tactics of one of the worst governments in living memory. 

34 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

I don't think this is the start to his Premiership that KS expected.

Who was it saying how great it was to just have calm without hearing about politics and dramas? That didn't last long... 

Laughable that anyone thinks Starmer has handled badly. Shame the sad little Tories can’t use the look he’s weak on crime line. No that was the Tories who decimated the police force and sold off the police stations.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, whelk said:

Laughable that anyone thinks Starmer has handled badly. Shame the sad little Tories can’t use the look he’s weak on crime line. No that was the Tories who decimated the police force and sold off the police stations.

Most politicians from either side are not worth a wank. I’m amazed we still have the old “Tory this, Labour that” bullshit. Penis faced Starmer could’ve avoided a lot more riots by coming out after the Southport riot and saying something along the lines of “violence will not help these little girls and their families so it must stop and we will crack down and jail anyone involved in the trouble, but give us time as a government to fix the issues that the last government have left us” 

instead he came out and told the disaffected poor whites exactly what they were being told by the likes of Robinson- that the sneering elitist politicians put them at the bottom of the pile in this country and categorised them all as far right thugs.

Especially off the back of Harehills where the govt said fuck all.

this gave the REAL far right thug pricks a perfect excuse to get out there as well.

• Confused 2

51 minutes ago, Mixedkebab said:

Most politicians from either side are not worth a wank. I’m amazed we still have the old “Tory this, Labour that” bullshit. Penis faced Starmer could’ve avoided a lot more riots by coming out after the Southport riot and saying something along the lines of “violence will not help these little girls and their families so it must stop and we will crack down and jail anyone involved in the trouble, but give us time as a government to fix the issues that the last government have left us” 

instead he came out and told the disaffected poor whites exactly what they were being told by the likes of Robinson- that the sneering elitist politicians put them at the bottom of the pile in this country and categorised them all as far right thugs.

Especially off the back of Harehills where the govt said fuck all.

this gave the REAL far right thug pricks a perfect excuse to get out there as well.

I’m a Lib Dem voter but even I know your penultimate sentence is incorrect about Harehills and I don’t think a huge amount of Labour https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/yvette-cooper-condemns-leeds-riot/

If disaffected white blokes - which they mostly are - think Robinson has a grain of truth to him, then they’re even thicker than I thought. This whole thing has been driven by his lies and misinformation about the Southport murders and more over the weekend. Look at his criminal record, the guy can’t even lie in bed straight.

The Tory right pushed for the referendum - didn’t deliver on any of it because it couldn’t be without many, many years to do it. Didn’t deliver on levelling up bar some marginal seats which they all lost last month anyway. It’s not a fucking accident that these riots - bar the central London ones - have happened in Brexit dominated areas. They wanted immigration to stop straight away but to re-pivot an economy, a society, one with an ageing population, wasn’t a short-term job. An in/out referendum wasn’t going to help. The new government has boxed itself in - £22bn black hole but as Private Eye says, a £40bn pa black hole from Boris and Frost’s ‘deal’ which they forgot to switch the oven for.

Brexit and the premise was snake oil.

If you think Reform will help, have a closer look at their economic plans and the IFS’s assessment. Lunacy and far worse than Truss’s even. Guaranteed to fuck over white working communities to new levels and depths. 

Edited by Gloucester Saint
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

I don't think this is the start to his Premiership that KS expected.

Calling MLG to this thread to explain that it hasn't been called the Premiership since 2001... 😉

• Haha 2

On 04/08/2024 at 16:43, sadoldgit said:

If only Liz Truss had taken a few weeks off eh?

KS is probably as disliked as her by the nation, already. Calling people who believe that illegal immigration should be stopped as right wing is ludicrous

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

On 04/08/2024 at 23:45, AlexLaw76 said:

He has already done that with the child benefit cap. When Starmer does it, sogmickey says they have done their sums and realise there is a better way. Tories do it, they are rip off bastards who only care about the rich. You couldn't make it up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, east-stand-nic said:

He has already done that with the child benefit cap. When Starmer does it, sogmickey says they have done their sums and realise there is a better way. Tories do it, they are rip off bastards who only care about the rich. You couldn't make it up.

The Tories brought in the benefit cap in the first place. Labour have said they will get rid of it when they can afford to, but in the meantime they are bringing in other measures to help. They have made it clear since before they were elected that their hands would be tied over many ambitions because of the financial situation they have inherited. Still, the last 14 years is all down to Labour isn't it?

You could make it up and you do, frequently.

🙄

Edited by sadoldgit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Labour have said they will get rid of it when they can afford to, but in the meantime they are bringing in other measures to help.

Like taking £300 off people earning less than 12k a year. 

Labour in opposition- London nurse earning 27k uses food bank, shame on Tories. 

Labour in Government- You old bastards on 12k, fucking put more layers on, we need that £300 for Doctors pay. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Labour in Government- You old bastards on 12k, fucking put more layers on, we need that £300 for Doctors pay. 

That's so simplistic it's frightening. Money isn't being taken from the old Doris's to pay the doctor's. That's one step away from saying it's being taken to house illegal immigrants. 

You know full well that the government have inherited a proper shit show and need to take control of the finances. Give me an government willing to make these decisions rather than the bunch of bullshitters we had who just say all is cool and borrow a load more cash.

• Like 2

One minute OAPs are being slagged off because of the triple lock, the next they are being used as a stick to beat Labour by because a short term benefit is being modified.

I am losing my fuel allowance but I have also benefited from the triple lock. Swings and roundabouts.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, egg said:

That's so simplistic it's frightening. Money isn't being taken from the old Doris's to pay the doctor's. That's one step away from saying it's being taken to house illegal immigrants. 

You know full well that the government have inherited a proper shit show and need to take control of the finances. Give me an government willing to make these decisions rather than the bunch of bullshitters we had who just say all is cool and borrow a load more cash.

Yes they have inherited some bad finances, 2 years of Covid would cripple any countries finances. Personally I thought Rishi did well with getting businesses alive with his pay outs and the Eat out deals for restaurants and pubs. Sadly there were people /criminals who took advantage.

What does not seem to be mentioned that Starmer and co were calling for another lockdown and would have done so had they had their way!!!

Already they have offered 22% wage rise for the junior doctors, oh and now the docs have seen the quality negotiators and going for their slice, then there will be all the other trades going for their bit.

It seems to me we are all going to be taxed a lot more, that will find its way to the pay of the public sector workers, therefore we will get no improvement in services but just costing us more. 

I fully back everyone to get a decent wage and would like tax up to a certain level for those who work to be lost. Perhaps only for people earning up to 20k a year (not for all just those people) make it worthwhile getting up at 6 in the morning to work, rather than them seeing other people laying in bed doing nothing but being in the same position

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Yes they have inherited some bad finances, 2 years of Covid would cripple any countries finances. Personally I thought Rishi did well with getting businesses alive with his pay outs and the Eat out deals for restaurants and pubs. Sadly there were people /criminals who took advantage.

What does not seem to be mentioned that Starmer and co were calling for another lockdown and would have done so had they had their way!!!

Already they have offered 22% wage rise for the junior doctors, oh and now the docs have seen the quality negotiators and going for their slice, then there will be all the other trades going for their bit.

It seems to me we are all going to be taxed a lot more, that will find its way to the pay of the public sector workers, therefore we will get no improvement in services but just costing us more. 

I fully back everyone to get a decent wage and would like tax up to a certain level for those who work to be lost. Perhaps only for people earning up to 20k a year (not for all just those people) make it worthwhile getting up at 6 in the morning to work, rather than them seeing other people laying in bed doing nothing but being in the same position

You may be a little out of touch Nick.

£20,000 per year for a 40 hour week = 20000/52/40 = £9.61 per hour

Even for a 37.5 hour week (40 hours, less 30 min break per day) the pay rate would be £10.26 per hour.

Given the minmum wage is £11.44, both of the options above would be illegal for anyone over 21!!

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Stupid old fucker

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

You may be a little out of touch Nick.

£20,000 per year for a 40 hour week = 20000/52/40 = £9.61 per hour

Even for a 37.5 hour week (40 hours, less 30 min break per day) the pay rate would be £10.26 per hour.

Given the minmum wage is £11.44, both of the options above would be illegal for anyone over 21!!

Lol, I plucked the figure out of the air, It was just a guesstimate but the principle to my mind is the same. I know as a higher tax rate payer I would be delighted for this to be a way of levelling things out and the people struggling at the bottom who work hard would be rewarded (in a way by society for their contribution)and perhaps we all like to put 2 fingers up to the lazy and ones who shirk work. All a pipedream but it would feel good to me

26 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Personally I thought Rishi did well with getting businesses alive with his pay outs and the Eat out deals for restaurants and pubs.

You mean the Eat Out scheme that was not properly run through senior advisers, the scheme which chief medical officer Sir Chris Whitty referred to as "eat out to help out the virus", and which Sir Patrick Vallance said was "highly likely" to have fuelled considerable extra deaths?  That was Rishi doing well, was it?

I'd hate to see what you thought he did badly.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

You mean the Eat Out scheme that was not properly run through senior advisers, the scheme which chief medical officer Sir Chris Whitty referred to as "eat out to help out the virus", and which Sir Patrick Vallance said was "highly likely" to have fuelled considerable extra deaths?  That was Rishi doing well, was it?

I'd hate to see what you thought he did badly.

I dont believe that they came out looking that clever. It was unprecedented times. As for 'highly likely' extra deaths, they were putting covid as death on anything at that time, an inexact science. I expect mny in the catering industry would now be closed if this scheme wasnt enacted. 2 sides to all stories, mistakes were made and it is easy for the left to point fingers, and perhaps you may have been all for locking down again, and again.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, OldNick said:

I dont believe that they came out looking that clever. It was unprecedented times. As for 'highly likely' extra deaths, they were putting covid as death on anything at that time, an inexact science. I expect mny in the catering industry would now be closed if this scheme wasnt enacted. 2 sides to all stories, mistakes were made and it is easy for the left to point fingers, and perhaps you may have been all for locking down again, and again.  

Firstly no.  I'm not sure why you keep saying "the left" as if its a complete homogenous blob of what "they" wanted during COVID.  Personally I never locked down at all, kept going to work every day as I was in an industry that had around 50% of it that was exempt from WFH.  And I remain very thankful that was the case, I'd have hated to WFH full time or even worse go on furlough and sit around doing eff all.

As for your other point, yes its easy to be wise after the event.  Its also why there's a very detailed enquiry that highlight sincere deficiencies even given what we know in hindsight.  Not everything the tories did was bad during lockdown, especially during the very early days when the learning curve was massive.  But Sunak introducing this scheme without input from the health secretary and his many senior advisers should be called out for the extremely bad call it was; calling it Sunak "doing well" is quite a remarkable statement really. 

Edited by The Kraken
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Firstly no.  I'm not sure why you keep saying "the left" as if its a complete homogenous blob of what "they" wanted during COVID.  Personally I never locked down at all, kept going to work every day as I was in an industry that had around 50% of it that was exempt from WFH.  And I remain very thankful that was the case, I'd have hated to WFH full time or even worse go on furlough and sit around doing eff all.

As for your other point, yes its easy to be wise after the event.  Its also why there's a very detailed enquiry that highlight sincere deficiencies even given what we know in hindsight.  Not everything the tories did was bad during lockdown, especially during the very early days when the learning curve was massive.  But Sunak introducing this scheme without input from the health secretary and his many senior advisers should be called out for the extremely bad call it was; calling it Sunak "doing well" is quite a remarkable statement really. 

All opinions, no doubt you and all the other detractors didnt use the eat out option. I know I did and was thankful for it, I didnt hear ant criticism then. Anyway we move on, I still believe Rishi did well in that period and feel that the medical bods didnt play the game that well and are now whitewashing to suit their reputations.

33 minutes ago, OldNick said:

All opinions, no doubt you and all the other detractors didnt use the eat out option. I know I did and was thankful for it, I didnt hear ant criticism then. Anyway we move on, I still believe Rishi did well in that period and feel that the medical bods didnt play the game that well and are now whitewashing to suit their reputations.

The Eat Out scheme helped spread the virus further. He was advised not to do it but did it anyway. You say you didn’t hear any criticism at the time? I heard plenty. No, I didn’t use the scheme. I didn’t fancy the idea of getting Covid.

He handed out money as if it was going out of fashion, often to people who didn’t need it as it wasn’t means tested. A lot of it the treasury will never get back. The bloke I used to work for who ran his own small business applied for every hand out going and got them even though he didn’t need it. He saw it as an interest free loan. I was self employed and was laid off with no financial help at all. 
Yes, it was a difficult time and he had a very difficult job. He did a job, I wouldn’t say that he did it that well.

3 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

One minute OAPs are being slagged off because of the triple lock, the next they are being used as a stick to beat Labour by because a short term benefit is being modified.

I am losing my fuel allowance but I have also benefited from the triple lock. Swings and roundabouts.

Slagged off by who? 

It’s not being modified, it’s being taken away from most pensioners, despite promises it wouldn’t be. New broom 😂

Just because you don’t need it, it’s ok. What a selfish attitude.

Martin Lewis who isn’t political at all, explained the problem with this. Pension credit is the least claimed credit in the whole welfare system & a myth has grown up that pensioners are rich. A lot aren’t, a lot don’t claim pension credit who qualify for it. A lot are  just over the threshold will suffer by losing this payment. They did nothing with family benefit, so a family with someone earning 50k with 1 kid,  can get family benefit of £100 a month  & a pension on 12k loses £300 a year. What a fucking disgrace……They could have found this money elsewhere, they made this choice. 

Had the Tories done this you’d be on your high horse, everybody knows that. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

The Tories brought in the benefit cap in the first place. Labour have said they will get rid of it when they can afford to, but in the meantime they are bringing in other measures to help. They have made it clear since before they were elected that their hands would be tied over many ambitions because of the financial situation they have inherited. Still, the last 14 years is all down to Labour isn't it?

You could make it up and you do, frequently.

🙄

So basically you have just said the same moronic double standards crap again.

Tories don't lift cap, they don't care about the working class, only their own.

Labour don't remove the cap, they have done their sums and realise it is not affordable.

Maybe that is why the Tories did not remove the cap, because they did their sums and it was not affordable, no?

Have you ever seen a shrink as you are totally nuts.

• Haha 1

Firstly he will kill-off a few pensioners, then he doubles down with swift justice, now he is considering deporting people to a 3rd country.

New broom, like the old broom but with better PR

image.thumb.png.bf94ee6edfbbf38157461ca68f734577.png

4 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Firstly he will kill-off a few pensioners, then he doubles down with swift justice, now he is considering deporting people to a 3rd country.

It would be much easier legally to send people to the Falklands though - the whole stupidity of the Rwanda policy is it was legally unworkable (and they knew it).

Can't image the people of the Falklands will be thrilled.

54 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

But are the Falklands a "safe" country ?

Edit; sending them overseas to serve their sentence is not deporting them. They will be allowed back.

Don't be such a drama queen.

Edited by badgerx16

48 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

It would be much easier legally to send people to the Falklands though - the whole stupidity of the Rwanda policy is it was legally unworkable (and they knew it).

Can't image the people of the Falklands will be thrilled.

It is clearly not going to happen 😂

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

At least there's a fish and chip shop down there. No such luxuries in Rwanda.