The Starmer Years - Can The New Broom Sweep Clean?

sadoldgit

4 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Let's hope this is correct. Perhaps some sanity after all. 

20241012_111727.jpg

They’re not in a 6th form debating society or a football forum, everything they say/hint at has consequences.  

Since the election directors of listed companies have sold shares at an average rate of £31m a week, to avoid extra CGT. Their revenue raising plans are in disarray as they just won’t bring the money in unless they take it from a broader base. These amateurs think you can raise billions by taxing “the rich”, theyre finding out very quickly you can’t. 

IMG_8437.jpeg

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, whelk said:

listened to a podcast knows infinitely more than Reeves.

That may be a rather good point. So far she has frightened the electorate spreading stories that we are going to have a terrible time. 22bn blackhole, but Im not going to tell you where I got those figures. 

Factory orders down as people are sitting on their hands, people not investing as they are unsure what the tax implications are going to be. 

I truly hope she does know what she is doing, as I want our nation to succeed and all have a decent time, but if she gets it wrong we are in for a long struggle. 

Ive seen too many recessions and dont wish to see another.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

Well let’s have a look shall we. Looks to me that, since the election, the currency market has been rather volatile but the rate has levelled off just a smidge higher than it was on election day. Which itself was the highest it had been for around a year.

IMG-0225.jpg

That's it click on the bit that suits your argument lol. How about the last week?,  yes we are back to about where we were when Labour came to power. Lets hope all will be good for the pound, it helps us all and the greater economy. 

2 hours ago, OldNick said:

I saw that the pound was down on the dollar, yes it was up this year but that was more with the confidence of the last chancellor,(not that is much to go on).

The dollar is stronger against the pound this week and up more if you go back weeks. 'wee bit' still adds its costs to our economy

I've posted the actual figures. The pound is stronger over the last 5 years, last year, last 3 months, and last day. Trying to rely on a snapshot in time where it's dipped is a bit desperate, and ignores that over sustained periods it's strengthened. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, OldNick said:

That's it click on the bit that suits your argument lol. How about the last week?,  yes we are back to about where we were when Labour came to power. Let’s hope all will be good for the pound, it helps us all and the greater economy. 

Not sure about an argument Nick, i posted a factual graph of the exchange rate and how it has performed since election day, and over the past year. I’m no ForEx expert but I imagine it’s better to look at exchange rates over an extended period rather than days or weeks.

Edited by The Kraken

3 hours ago, whelk said:

Always good to visit Saintsweb for economic and fiscal insight. You know a pub bore who’s recently listened to a podcast knows infinitely more than Reeves.

Presumably you'd be saying similar when Sunak had the reins of power? Of course it possible for a Chancellor to have a number of options and choose the wrong ones. Like I said though, hopefully reports are correct and they've rowed back on the planned stark rise in cgt. 

Edited by hypochondriac

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Presumably you'd be saying similar when Sunak had the reins of power? Of course it possible for a Chancellor to have a number of options and choose the wrong ones. Like I said though, hopefully reports are correct and they've rowed back on the planned stark rise in cgt. 

I actually thought the NI cut was ridiculous but of course I am not privy to the information behind the decision making but appeared that was solely to appease those clamouring for tax cuts that weren’t appropriate at the time. And then even sensible politicians like Hunt labelling NI a double tax. Although I am not as partisan as you may think but it seems obvious that the next few years are going to be tiresome with criticism of the govt whatever they are doing.

One improvement is the weekend operations - I know two people who have already benefited, so will be interested if they have made inroads into the waiting lists.

Edited by whelk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, whelk said:

I actually thought the NI cut was ridiculous but of course I am not privy to the information behind the decision making but appeared that was solely to appease those clamouring for tax cuts that weren’t appropriate at the time. And then even sensible politicians like Hunt labelling NI a double tax. Although I am not as partisan as you may think but it seems obvious that the next few years are going to be tiresome with criticism of the govt whatever they are doing.

One improvement is the weekend operations - I know two people who have already benefited, so will be interested if they have made inroads into the waiting lists.

I just assume you exagerrate your reactions a tad for the forum as most people do. I agree there will be criticism whatever they do but that was also true for the Tories and probably to a more vociferous degree. 

Tories royally cocked up the running of the NHS so I hope they don't just give them a load of funding but look to make actual operational changes. 

I think I've shown I'm more than prepared to give praise to the government regardless of my ideological differences with them. I'm still hopeful that the budget will not be as extreme as some have reported. 

40 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Duckhunter now reposting the "Stats For Lefties" twitter feed.

Jesus wept.

He is not going to last the next 4.5 years of this government. He will have worn himself out with anti Labour exhaustion long before then. 😁😁😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Kemi seems to have a Braverman tendency to want to be noticed, usually for a stupid/pro active comment. This time, autistic and other neurodivergent people are in her firing line https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/kemi-badenoch-autism-tory-leadership-buckland-b2628845.html

She’s a gift that keeps giving for the other parties but I think Bob Jenryck, with his own slew of issues and unpopularity, will edge the contest. Why she didn’t speak to Robert Buckland, a former Tory MP with a good depth of knowledge on autism and the economy, and a good person frankly, astonishes me.

Would rather rant in an unevidenced and uneducated way instead. 

Edited by Gloucester Saint

On 11/10/2024 at 13:48, hypochondriac said:

So absolute chicken feed then. I'll be interested to see the effects if they do whack up cgt as much as predicted. 

Up to £63B now after CEO Summit yesterday and more on the way. The boy's done well and the FX's are pleased.

• Like 1

The constant need by the right wing supporting media and right blowhards to find a stick to beat Starmer/Labour with seems to be becoming more desperate every day. Taylor Swift? Seriously? We have seen a PM lie through his teeth daily, huge contracts for PPE given to Tory MP mates, the worse PM and budget ever etc etc but did they didn’t even raise an eyebrow. Now the PM goes to a concert with his wife and the biggest global star gets some extra security after a very real threat elsewhere and you would think that none of the last 14 years had happened and this, according to Jenrick, is already a catastrophe of a government.

If we hadn’t lived through 14 years of the most inept, corrupt, feckless, self serving, tone deaf governments I would say that it was unbelievable. Sadly it is all too believable.

We haven’t even had Labour’s first budget yet, and we all know how that will be received given the financial circumstances. Had the Tory Party won, whatever is about to happen would be a lot worse. More of the same but with even more cuts to public services to pay for unwarranted tax cuts. 
The successive Tory Governments were heavily criticised from some quarters for very good reasons. No doubt there will be good reasons to heavily criticise Labour and Starmer over the next five years but those who pick on scraps just to criticise for the sake of it ought to keep their powder dry for the occasions it is warranted if they want to be taken seriously. Having a pop at the PM for not breaking rules doesn’t really cut it after the litany of rule breaking we have witnessed under the Tory Party.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

The constant need by the right wing supporting media and right blowhards to find a stick to beat Starmer/Labour with seems to be becoming more desperate every day. Taylor Swift? Seriously? We have seen a PM lie through his teeth daily, huge contracts for PPE given to Tory MP mates, the worse PM and budget ever etc etc but did they didn’t even raise an eyebrow. Now the PM goes to a concert with his wife and the biggest global star gets some extra security after a very real threat elsewhere and you would think that none of the last 14 years had happened and this, according to Jenrick, is already a catastrophe of a government.

If we hadn’t lived through 14 years of the most inept, corrupt, feckless, self serving, tone deaf governments I would say that it was unbelievable. Sadly it is all too believable.

We haven’t even had Labour’s first budget yet, and we all know how that will be received given the financial circumstances. Had the Tory Party won, whatever is about to happen would be a lot worse. More of the same but with even more cuts to public services to pay for unwarranted tax cuts. 
The successive Tory Governments were heavily criticised from some quarters for very good reasons. No doubt there will be good reasons to heavily criticise Labour and Starmer over the next five years but those who pick on scraps just to criticise for the sake of it ought to keep their powder dry for the occasions it is warranted if they want to be taken seriously. Having a pop at the PM for not breaking rules doesn’t really cut it after the litany of rule breaking we have witnessed under the Tory Party.

Don’t worry SOG they are not connecting with the young. Mail’s obsession with Swift is so funny. No fucker gives a shit

• Like 1

2 hours ago, whelk said:

Don’t worry SOG they are not connecting with the young. Mail’s obsession with Swift is so funny. No fucker gives a shit

I genuinely don't care about Taylor Swift but haven't the main people pushing the Swift story been sky news? 

Regardless, you're right that if Labour can sort out the economy then no one is going to care about anything else. I reckon that's the calculation they have made. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I genuinely don't care about Taylor Swift but haven't the main people pushing the Swift story been sky news? 

Regardless, you're right that if Labour can sort out the economy then no one is going to care about anything else. I reckon that's the calculation they have made. 

Yes expect better from SkyNews. As tiresome as Rayner’s house and Starmer’s Covid beer. Truly pity any cunt that reads it salivating that there is some sort of scandal there. 

And the Mail lead with ‘Swiftgate’ today. 

Edited by whelk
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, whelk said:

Yes expect better from SkyNews. As tiresome as Rayner’s house and Starmer’s Covid beer. Truly pity any cunt that reads it salivating that there is some sort of scandal there. 

Again though they really shouldn't have gone hard on weeding out corruption and Starmer wanging on about how this new broom is going to sweep away cronyism and then do things like give Taylor Swift unprecedented levels of security after meeting her and after half the cabinet have accepted free tickets to her concert. It's almost certainly innocent but it looks terrible. Why put yourself in that position? Just seems naive to me. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, whelk said:

I read something which says that the problem is the leaking and information from ministers has dried up, so all the lobby journalists have got an arse on about it because no one is feeding them info any more. Hence Beth Rigby who previously I thought was pretty good is being a complete twat re Taylor Swift.

Who from what I have seem had blue light support in Cardiff and Edinburgh anyway. As do football teams and visiting ambassadors etc etc etc all the time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I read something which says that the problem is the leaking and information from ministers has dried up, so all the lobby journalists have got an arse on about it because no one is feeding them info any more. Hence Beth Rigby who previously I thought was pretty good is being a complete twat re Taylor Swift.

Who from what I have seem had blue light support in Cardiff and Edinburgh anyway. As do football teams and visiting ambassadors etc etc etc all the time.

Just looked at SkyNews app and nothing there so assume they must have got the message that security for the world’s biggest star doesn’t amaze any rational person.

• Like 1

I care about the freebies as a matter of integrity (yeah, I know. But I do)

I can care about that alongside caring about health, the economy, taxation.

Labour looked like they were taking a good run up to governance. This week we've had the investment conference (regardless when deals were done) and inflation has fallen below where the Conservatives were trying to get it to. Workers rights were last week.

Infighting may be getting quietly stamped out with the leaks and turf wars being dealt with by new faces. I've not heard the Transport secretary commenting on P&O since last week. Perhaps the cabinet are taking some lessons on when they have to act collectively, unless they want punted to the back benches or out of the party.

I like a party with some dissenting views. But that's not the cabinet.

We've had new strike announcements (something they are prone to being hoisted on, due to their paymasters) and a budget, that both parties played down before the election. So, lots of challenges to come.

For all their sneering about other media sources, there's not a newspaper or broadcaster you can read without a pinch of salt (or a sack load.)

19 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

I care about the freebies as a matter of integrity (yeah, I know. But I do)

I can care about that alongside caring about health, the economy, taxation.

Labour looked like they were taking a good run up to governance. This week we've had the investment conference (regardless when deals were done) and inflation has fallen below where the Conservatives were trying to get it to. Workers rights were last week.

Infighting may be getting quietly stamped out with the leaks and turf wars being dealt with by new faces. I've not heard the Transport secretary commenting on P&O since last week. Perhaps the cabinet are taking some lessons on when they have to act collectively, unless they want punted to the back benches or out of the party.

I like a party with some dissenting views. But that's not the cabinet.

We've had new strike announcements (something they are prone to being hoisted on, due to their paymasters) and a budget, that both parties played down before the election. So, lots of challenges to come.

For all their sneering about other media sources, there's not a newspaper or broadcaster you can read without a pinch of salt (or a sack load.)

lol you care about Swift tickets. Bless