The Starmer Years - Can The New Broom Sweep Clean?

sadoldgit

5 hours ago, whelk said:

I think there are a few simpletons here who don’t understand how the Treasury works. Keep getting excited though

Meanwhile the Tories are still the best at own goals 🤣

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13932883/Tories-left-red-faced-video-attacking-Labours-winter-fuel-payment-cut-features-wealthy-pensioners-including-one-wearing-Rolex.html

34 minutes ago, Gloucester Saint said:

Hope Labour are planning to build more morgues for all dead Tory pensioners come the cold snap?

Bet they haven’t even laid out their plans to fund them. Broom broom.

Edited by whelk

30 minutes ago, whelk said:

Hope Labour are planning to build more morgues for all dead Tory pensioners come the cold snap?

Bet they haven’t even laid out their plans to fund them. Broom broom.

They can use the tory plans, when covid hit, the mortuary business had a ton of investment and all the plans exist to use conference centres etc and refrigeration units to house all the dead bodies we could imagine. 

You could almost say "let the bodies pile high"...

1 hour ago, pingpong said:

They can use the tory plans, when covid hit, the mortuary business had a ton of investment and all the plans exist to use conference centres etc and refrigeration units to house all the dead bodies we could imagine. 

I'll remind you, a tory thread still exists where you can talk about them to your hearts content. This is the Labour thread about the party in power. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I'll remind you, a tory thread still exists where you can talk about them to your hearts content. This is the Labour thread about the party in power. 

When I said "they", I was referring to labour, they are the government in power now.

8 hours ago, pingpong said:

Yeah, they could do. Good point

It’s laughable how many on here don’t even understand what the main issue is. Its pensioners which the Government themselves deem are in need of this benefit but don’t claim it (800k according to Martin Lewis). It’s the least claimed benefit of any the state offer, and it’s the very poorest in society, peope  who have a yearly income of less than 11k ish. For various reasons they don’t claim what they’re entitled to. Gordon Brown, Alister Darling & every Tory chancellor since, decided the best way to get the money to these people was to make the benefit universal.  Reeves’ approach is fuck em, cheered on by Labour MP’s and some posters on here. 

Let’s hope she has second thoughts and puts measures in place to get this to the people they know need it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

It’s laughable how many on here don’t even understand what the main issue is. Its pensioners which the Government themselves deem are in need of this benefit but don’t claim it (800k according to Martin Lewis). It’s the least claimed benefit of any the state offer, and it’s the very poorest in society, peope  who have a yearly income of less than 11k ish. For various reasons they don’t claim what they’re entitled to. Gordon Brown, Alister Darling & every Tory chancellor since, decided the best way to get the money to these people was to make the benefit universal.  Reeves’ approach is fuck em, cheered on by Labour MP’s and some posters on here. 

Let’s hope she has second thoughts and puts measures in place to get this to the people they know need it. 

What’s £900 minus £200? 

Just now, whelk said:

What’s £900 minus £200? 

Is it really that simple?

What is the £900 for - I believe it is to account for inflation on everything (including fuel prices), so is the £900 really an 'extra' £900 or simply ensuring that pensioners aren't £900 worse off due to inflation.

I don't know the answer but I'm sure it's more complex than £900-£700.

Just now, Weston Super Saint said:

Is it really that simple?

What is the £900 for - I believe it is to account for inflation on everything (including fuel prices), so is the £900 really an 'extra' £900 or simply ensuring that pensioners aren't £900 worse off due to inflation.

I don't know the answer but I'm sure it's more complex than £900-£700.

It’s the platinum triple lock that took a high CPI in September the previous year. 10.1% I believe. Of course pensions need to be indexed link to counter inflation but it is the most protected of any other benefit. a single mum isn’t getting 10.1% increase and guess what……their fuel prices have gone up too.

• Like 1

Some of these well-off right wing pensioners have been voting for self harm since 2016, and now they're getting it, they're all fucking moaning.

I didn't see them showing this compassion when they were voting for the poor and the disabled to get fucked over.

It's the sensible pensioners who need support that I feel sorry for - the other hypocritical Telegraph-reading clowns just need laughing at.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I’m not sure what you are talking about here. People on state pensions receive the WFB automatically. Some on other benefits do have to apply for it. If they don’t that is not down to Labour. The previous Conservative governments over the last 14 years have had plenty of time to change the system. If these people didn’t know that they could claim this benefit, which government was that down to?

Starmer is right, the system is not fit for purpose and should be means tested. People like Alan Sugar have never needed it. Why did successive Tory governments not do something about that? If you are so outraged about a difficult decision that Reeves will have to take to try and sort the economy out, why weren’t you calling for previous Tory Chancellors of the Exchequer to make sure that the people you have developed a sudden concern for should get what they needed and those who didn’t need it pass it on to the needy?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

I’m not sure what you are talking about here. People on state pensions receive the WFB automatically. Some on other benefits do have to apply for it. If they don’t that is not down to Labour. The previous Conservative governments over the last 14 years have had plenty of time to change the system. If these people didn’t know that they could claim this benefit, which government was that down to?

Starmer is right, the system is not fit for purpose and should be means tested. People like Alan Sugar have never needed it. Why did successive Tory governments not do something about that? If you are so outraged about a difficult decision that Reeves will have to take to try and sort the economy out, why weren’t you calling for previous Tory Chancellors of the Exchequer to make sure that the people you have developed a sudden concern for should get what they needed and those who didn’t need it pass it on to the needy?

and he's back swinging again!! 

Taken a couple of weeks off to hope everyone has forgotten about his defence of Huw Edwards back throwing the haymakers on an unrelated topic. Right on cue 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

I’m not sure what you are talking about here.

Oh dear.

Perhaps you should have read the post and linked it to current affairs before posting your reply.

Here's a hint, the post you quoted had nothing to do with the rest of the waffle you wrote and was highlighting that the WFB is now available to circa 800k pensioners who are eligible for pension credit but don't, for any number of reasons, including not knowing they are entitled to it, currently claim that benefit.  Ergo the WFB is taken away from them by default...

Martin Lewis or Soggy & other posters cheering this move on. 🤔

This isn’t about Alan Sugar, Paul McCartney getting the payment it’s about people the Gov know need it, but cynically don’t want to give it to them. Gordon Brown set it up to be universal precisely for this reason. He would rather Sugar got it, than pensioners freeze to death (4,000 according to labour in opposition). 

IMG_8415.jpeg

IMG_8416.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I agree with the means testing of WFP, there are so many wealthy oldies out there who don't need it. My in-laws are nowhere near the wealthiest and even they put theirs towards a couple of weeks in Greece. But there does need to be some help for those who don't qualify for Pension Credit and genuinely need it - hopefully the government will put something in place. At least this might encourage all those who qualify to go and claim what they are entitled to.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, whelk said:

Martin Lewis the stupid man’s hero. He’s as publicity seeking as Piers Morgan. 
Great that the WFP sorted out pensioners with dementia eh.

Tbf whenever it has come with any pensioners I have spoken to they have all said fair enough and not complained about losing it, although they are by no means only getting state pension. I can’t believe HMRC and DWP shouldn’t come up with something crude like you still get it if income is less than £20k pa

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, whelk said:

Martin Lewis the stupid man’s hero. He’s as publicity seeking as Piers Morgan. 
Great that the WFP sorted out pensioners with dementia eh.

did you know he can bench press 100kg? I was pretty surprised when i found this information out. 

3 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Starmer claiming today his uncle “nearly lost his life when his ship was torpedoed defending the Falklands”. 

I think the fact checkers need to get to work on that one, although perhaps he was on The Belgrano

luckily his dad was able to save his brothers life as previously he had given him a handy tool he had made to escape from torpedoed ships should he ever find himself in this tight spot.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Starmer claiming today his uncle “nearly lost his life when his ship was torpedoed defending the Falklands”. 

I think the fact checkers need to get to work on that one, although perhaps he was on The Belgrano

42 British servicemen killed by bombs that hit at sea level, a Royal Naval ship sunk.

Starmer remembering Falklands veterans and gets the precise form of armament wrong - the bastard.

I think I'd rather remember the guys lost than make some cheap jibe about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

did you know he can bench press 100kg? I was pretty surprised when i found this information out. 

I have to turn off when he comes on. Really irritating delivery and too fucking excitable. No didn’t know that. I’m sure he is an ok bloke beneath the tv persona

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, whelk said:

I have to turn off when he comes on. Really irritating delivery and too fucking excitable. No didn’t know that. I’m sure he is an ok bloke beneath the tv persona

I dont mind him he's a little bit over the top but some of what he says is quite useful. I had him down as a swimmer/runner type so most surprised when he announced on twitter he'd hit 100kg bench press.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rallyboy said:

42 British servicemen killed by bombs that hit at sea level, a Royal Naval ship sunk.

Starmer remembering Falklands veterans and gets the precise form of armament wrong - the bastard.

His uncle served on HMS Antelope, which sank after an attempt by UXB officers caused an unexploded bomb to detonate. Luckily almost all of her crew survived, and people trying to score semantic points here should be ashamed.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, rallyboy said:

image.thumb.png.f8244755e3c90b92251bb95ed6d96e90.png

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Did anyone go to the Taylor Swift concerts, who wasn't a politician on a freebie?

Home secretary attends as husband (Ed Balls) gets 4 tickets, so she doesn't have to directly declare them.

She would later push for the increased security demanded by Swift's management. Scotland Yard reluctant to give that level of security, based on intelligence. The papers indicating they were persuaded, following discussions with Cooper.

After Vienna, I can see why Swift's team would look for security increases.

I can see why politicians would want to endear themselves to the Swift bandwagon.

However, whatever the separate security and intelligence available now has a needless smell of collusion around it, because politicians can't keep clear of freebies. Swift tickets were among some of Starmer's selected repayments.

1 hour ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Did anyone go to the Taylor Swift concerts, who wasn't a politician on a freebie?

Home secretary attends as husband (Ed Balls) gets 4 tickets, so she doesn't have to directly declare them.

She would later push for the increased security demanded by Swift's management. Scotland Yard reluctant to give that level of security, based on intelligence. The papers indicating they were persuaded, following discussions with Cooper.

After Vienna, I can see why Swift's team would look for security increases.

I can see why politicians would want to endear themselves to the Swift bandwagon.

However, whatever the separate security and intelligence available now has a needless smell of collusion around it, because politicians can't keep clear of freebies. Swift tickets were among some of Starmer's selected repayments.

I truly pity how desperate some of you are to lap this stuff up. Although Sky News milking this one as they think they have some sort of scoop. Boring as fuck.

i await Hypo saying how disappointed he is as Yvette Cooper is just the same as Boris Johnson 

• Haha 1

As someone mentioned when the pictures of Starmer at Swift concert came out at the time did anyone think I bet he was logged on to Ticketmaster with his credit card airing to secure those tickets? Most know how the world works.
Their response to this has been woeful and so not helped themselves and giving back some of it  was mad.

Edited by whelk

2 minutes ago, whelk said:

I truly pity how desperate some of you are to lap this stuff up. Although Sky News milking this one as they think they have some sort of scoop. Boring as fuck.

i await Hypo saying how disappointed he is as Yvette Cooper is just the same as Boris Johnson 

I'm not exactly jumping with joy at some gotcha moments against labour. It's more another cycle of disappointment at seeing yet another group of entitled troughers.

1 minute ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

I'm not exactly jumping with joy at some gotcha moments against labour. It's more another cycle of disappointment at seeing yet another group of entitled troughers.

Taking a concert ticket has disillusioned you and ruined your thoughts that there woudl be a level of purity where they woudl now be declined? These are perks that go with fame/power in so many areas. Seems now everyone say ‘aha but what were they getting in return?’ Fck all I expect and why the fuck doesn’t Taylor Swift take the Tube like the rest of us?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, whelk said:

Taking a concert ticket has disillusioned you and ruined your thoughts that there woudl be a level of purity where they woudl now be declined? These are perks that go with fame/power in so many areas. Seems now everyone say ‘aha but what were they getting in return?’ Fck all I expect and why the fuck doesn’t Taylor Swift take the Tube like the rest of us?

It must have bothered Starmer. He paid some of the ticket prices back. Can't imagine why he'd do that if it was considered to be so normal.

8 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

It must have bothered Starmer. He paid some of the ticket prices back. Can't imagine why he'd do that if it was considered to be so normal.

Agree a ridiculous response by Starmer and his team. Needs better comms people and whoever gave him that advice is pretty shit at their job. Helps perpetuate the story, gives ammo as now an acknowledgement as wrong as you say! and then gives media a bar to hold all others to account which should have been foreseen “Prime Minster you gave this back why hasn’t Rayner done the same?’ etc. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, whelk said:

It's not me you need to convince. I don't actually care about a lot of that stuff but I've seen and spoken to a fair amount of labour supporters and voters who have expressed how disappointed they are in the government and how they feel duped given the language that was used prior to the election. If half the cabinet wants Taylor Swift tickets then thats up to them. If the totality of their claims have made a lot of the people who voted for them consider the to be hypocritical or at least not live up to the words they said themselves then that's something I'd be concerned about if I were a Labour MP. 

What are your thoughts on Labour's first 100 days? 

Edited by hypochondriac

29 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

It's not me you need to convince. I don't actually care about a lot of that stuff but I've seen and spoken to a fair amount of labour supporters and voters who have expressed how disappointed they are in the government and how they feel duped given the language that was used prior to the election. If half the cabinet wants Taylor Swift tickets then thats up to them. If the totality of their claims have made a lot of the people who voted for them consider the to be hypocritical or at least not live up to the words they said themselves then that's something I'd be concerned about if I were a Labour MP. 

What are your thoughts on Labour's first 100 days? 

The clothes thing was weird as donor could have just donated further to party and they could dip into funds for appearance purposes. 
couldn’t care less about hospitality stuff - gone on since dawn of time.

As to what I think of first days - not impressed. Haven’t taken huge interest in what went wrong with Gray. The WFP was poorly done and too soon. Should have planned mitigation for the needy but I have no issues with it being removed.

Whilst I welcomed Starmer as refreshing change and he has more honour - all reports say he is ruthless but still seems weak to me and often wants to be all things to all men. Just plot your course and fuck the noise although finances dictate. Although I was never happy that Reeve made a big thing about keeping the restrictive fiscal rules - expect will all about u turns after the budget but they are a nonsense and all this ‘run on the pound’ hype suggests a labour govt is in the hands of the financial spivs. The negative stuff will soon be forgotten if make a difference though and if the voters see no tangible difference anywhere will clearly weaken them. What is clear though is media will be relentless in trying to bring them down daily. 

Edited by whelk