The Athletic

31cc

Now that we are back in the Prem and anyone here is still a subscriber, you might like to know that I just went to cancel my renewal (£59!) and was instantly offered a reduced subscription of £18 p.a.  Hopefully we'll get some decent coverage this year.

No dedicated reporter so unlikely. Jacob Tanswell who moved to Villa when we were relegated seems to be sharing transfer info but doesn’t look like we’ll get insight articles anytime soon 

On 13/07/2024 at 10:07, EBS1980 said:

No dedicated reporter so unlikely. Jacob Tanswell who moved to Villa when we were relegated seems to be sharing transfer info but doesn’t look like we’ll get insight articles anytime soon 

I'd have been more likely to cancel mine had tanswell moved back, the worst one though was Sheldon.

Edited by Saint86

3 minutes ago, SaintNewForest said:

Seemingly only ever pop up with articles about us when they have something negative to write. 

You couldn't pay me to read that trash.

Exactly, and because the athletic owners are in bed with numerous football agents as most these days are american owned they spread private material by the bucket load.

They defamed Ted Bates, but the clubs head of PR Jordan Sibley is so weak and scared because of the (agent relationship) he just let them continue to work on matchdays at SMS, shameful.

You should note if youre still sadly paying for the athletic, that they disclosed confidential contract material about a academy youth player yesterday.

The twerp Jacob tanswell claims hes a saints fan ! 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, SaintsLoyal said:

You should note if youre still sadly paying for the athletic, that they disclosed confidential contract material about a academy youth player yesterday.

The twerp Jacob tanswell claims hes a saints fan ! 

So confidential that either the club or the agent told them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Exactly, people get so overly emotional. This stuff doesn't get in the public domain without people wanting it there. It's not a sting operation or an exposé

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

People are a bit weird about The Athletic aren't they? Acting like they owe the club anything and should be laying on content about them as if it's a given right.

I suppose when you pay a certain amount for supposed expert commentary on your club and the league they play in a few nice words here and there would help.

I'm currently paying £1 a month for it. It's not worth any more then that but can provide a few good articles here and there.

Why the trolling of Jacob Tanswell?  He's an excellent reporter who is a Saints fan.  The AThletic used to have tremendous coverage until the New York Times bought it and now they couldn't give a toss about clubs like Saints, likely because it does not make any money for them

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, washsaint said:

Why the trolling of Jacob Tanswell?  He's an excellent reporter who is a Saints fan.  The AThletic used to have tremendous coverage until the New York Times bought it and now they couldn't give a toss about clubs like Saints, likely because it does not make any money for them

The Athletic as a whole has gone downhill since the NYT acquired it (shock, I know)

Used to love it for the way I could just read some really good, in-depth content of Saints and the teams I follow across US sports, with coverage of the wider league matters all in the same place and in a writing style I appreciated and felt was quite informative and well-pitched. But it's now so, so much worse. Only stuck with it because I went to cancel my subscription and they gave me a £1 a month renewal for the next year

Edited by CSA96
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Colinjb said:

I suppose when you pay a certain amount for supposed expert commentary on your club and the league they play in a few nice words here and there would help.

I'm currently paying £1 a month for it. It's not worth any more then that but can provide a few good articles here and there.

Is anyone still paying for the club content though, really? They have been open since we got relegated there would be no specific club content going forward so I’m not sure why anyone expects different. 

Like you, I still pay £1. There’s ways to keep that going once they stop offering you to stay. I don’t expect any Saints content though.

10 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

I don’t think the club would disclose such private information about player contracts, that would be a farce.

Like I said it’s all agent driven to the detriment of clubs.

9 minutes ago, SaintsLoyal said:

I don’t think the club would disclose such private information about player contracts, that would be a farce.

Like I said it’s all agent driven to the detriment of clubs.

The club disclose all sorts of stuff to journalists because it helps them control narrative. Maybe it was the agent in this specific case but either way, The Athletic have every right to publish it.