Yuki Sugawara

Saint Scott

Sweets for my sweet

Sugar for my right back

Your first touch thrills me so

We'll look a little bit silly if it turns out he has a first touch like a trampoline.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

Many people say that we're by far the greatest team the world has ever seen, so I reckon he has definitely heard of us, unless he's an idiot.

And he'll be aware that we hate Pompey.

And he'll be aware that we hate Pompey.

Just now, Turkish said:

We were just waiting for trump to be shot so we could take the headlines off him

Turn up when no one's looking is very much the Japanese way

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Turn up when no one's looking is very much the Japanese way

Great to see we’re going to dominate the Asian market again, looking forward to our plain red shirt being released next week  

• Like 1

Well worth watching his full interview via the SaintsApp - definitely one of the best. 

Seems like a great guy, clued up and highly motivated to join.

Hopefully has a good pre season to hit the ground running.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Well worth watching his full interview via the SaintsApp - definitely one of the best. 

Seems like a great guy, clued up and highly motivated to join.

Hopefully has a good pre season to hit the ground running.

Just watched, definitely agree. Seems like a character and could be a bit of a cult hero if he’s decent 

• Like 1

Q: What sort of impression did you get from the manager?

"I think he is a handsome guy, you know? He has a good beard and long hair. I want to be like him after the football career. I want to get some beard! But he's a very good guy. He's very kind and he told me about football things and life in Southampton. I have a good feeling with him and I can't wait to work with him."

• Haha 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Yukinari Sugawara - Official: Signs 4 Year Contract

Obligatory YouTube Video -

This is a really top draw signing for a newly promoted side IMO. Surprised we've managed to get this one over the line, he was being watched by some top European sides.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

This is a really top draw signing for a newly promoted side IMO. Surprised we've managed to get this one over the line, he was being watched by some top European sides.

Looks to have a lot of quality going forward. Only reservation defensively is that he seems to go to ground a lot. Could get caught out by better players if he doesn’t stay on his feet (like when he nearly took Edozie out at SMS last preseason). 

3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

One assumes we'll be buying a speedy / instinctive centre forward that can actually get on the end of those excellent crosses...? :)

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, davefizzy14 said:

Welcome onboard Yuki 😊 top signing. Loved his interview on the club app 😊

His interview was really good and he said “ yeah” every couple of sentences. Hugely important for every decent sportsman.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, manji said:

His interview was really good and he said “ yeah” every couple of sentences. Hugely important for every decent sportsman.

Not ‘yeah, definitely…’ Clearly a lot to learn but a good start. 

5 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Being watched and then having a bid submitted are two different things. Maybe clubs want to see how he steps up in a higher league before committing.

Although too early to go overboard about the signing, I’m reasonably optimistic on this one, and agree with someone saying he could become quite a cult hero. 

Also await the return of the bloke nearby being able to comment about ‘the jap’s’ playing well/shit or whatever 

15 hours ago, trousers said:

One assumes we'll be buying a speedy / instinctive centre forward that can actually get on the end of those excellent crosses...? :)

Not good in the air.

It's a 'No' from me then!!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

On 14/07/2024 at 13:44, S-Clarke said:

Can see Armstrong on the end of a few of those peach crosses into the box, but emphasises our need for that elusive centre forward. Hopefully BBD.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Top man Yoshida.

There's a good feeling to this signing, that brings early optimism, hope he lives up to all the hopes we have for him.

When a like isn't enough...

We have some really lovely ex players and managers. That was great from Yoshida.

• Like 3

It's why we love our club, our true fan favourite players and the feeling of belonging. I'm not sure you get that with some other clubs. It's not the winning or glory, it's a deeper affinity, that some players get I think. Love Southampton, but wish it was easier to listen to match commentary outside of the Solent area.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Yuki Sugawara
  • 3 weeks later...

I've said it before but why can't we go out and get two or three more like him? 24-26 so plenty of upside, comes from a middling league but has experience in Europe, decent fee... it just makes sense. 

Is it me or has scouting gone backwards? It's not just us, all PL clubs just seem to be tossing about the same pool of players ad infinitum.

32 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

I've said it before but why can't we go out and get two or three more like him? 24-26 so plenty of upside, comes from a middling league but has experience in Europe, decent fee... it just makes sense. 

Is it me or has scouting gone backwards? It's not just us, all PL clubs just seem to be tossing about the same pool of players ad infinitum.

Think it might have improved a fraction over the last year (Downes, THB, and high hopes of Sugawara) but it still has a long way to go before it gets back to 2014-16 levels.  It's been a decline since then 2022/Jan 23 possibly the low point.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, maysie said:

Thought he looked really good first half. Any word on why he was subbed? Injury?

Guessing it was tactical: with them down to 10, and likely to sit deep, bringing on a more tricky attacker did make sense. Although I'd have preferred taking off a CB.

Agreed though: I thought he was excellent. Really encouraging debut. Looks very good indeed.

• Like 1