Strikers who would you get ?

ally_uk

We are going to need some firepower up top! 

Let's talk about strikers, keep it realistic who would you sign and why? 

Someone drop some European talent. Keep it realistic! 

Mine would be: 

Thijs Dallinga  23 years old and 14 goals in French Ligue 1. 

Lawrence Shankland: Hearts 

Wildcard: 

Carlton Morris: 

Scored 11 goals for Luton last season. 

1 hour ago, ally_uk said:

Mine would be: 

Wildcard: 

Carlton Morris: 

Dallinga looks decent. Goals with either foot and some headers too. Don't have a clue whether available or what he'd cost but might be worth a punt.

Don’t watch enough non-English football to offer an opinion of any value, but I hope we bring a few in.  

Armstrong has to be considered a winger at this level meaning we only have Stewart who is made of papier-mâché 

24 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

Don’t watch enough non-English football to offer an opinion of any value, but I hope we bring a few in.  

Armstrong has to be considered a winger at this level meaning we only have Stewart who is made of papier-mâché 

Don't forget Mara!...hmm

ST situation is mega urgent for sure, I hope we're not putting our eggs in the Stewart investment. 

I quite like Gift Orban, now at Lyon. Think he only joined in Jan, but didn't do much - I'd put in a loan offer, see what they say.

Briel Embolo - is he out of our reach? Had a decentish Euros, but hasn't played for ages for Monaco. Again, I'd approach with a loan and see what they say. French clubs will be falling over themselves for money.

• Like 2

I’m assuming Mara goes on loan / is sold. I don’t see what he will offer in the PL based on his champ performances. 

Same for Sulemana. I’ll be quite surprised if both of them are here at the start of the season. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ally_uk said:

Mine would be: 

The Dutch bloke looks quite useful, albeit at a lower standard.

But it does seem that RM has so far seemed keen to keep the nucleus of the team British.

1 minute ago, CampionSaint said:

I agree with Miovski.  Brereton Diaz for not much looks good.  Callum Wilson is an interesting one and certainly better than Ings.

Yes he is, and not so far up the crocked list like Ings etc.

Are Miovski or Shankland really that good?

Shankland couldn't get a start at the Euros ahead of Che who had a terrible tournament.

Genuine question. Who was the last striker to come to the PL from the SPL that succeeded?

Dallinga for me

• Like 3

Players I'd be pleased to see us linked with:

• Ben Brereton Diaz - Villarreal
  • Kyogo Furuhashi - Celtic (to add to the Japanese contingent)
  • Albert Gudmundsson - Genoa
  • Thijs Dallinga - Toulouse
  • Myrto Uzuni - Granada
  • Like 2

On 09/07/2024 at 22:03, Saint Scott said:

Are Miovski or Shankland really that good?

Shankland couldn't get a start at the Euros ahead of Che who had a terrible tournament.

Genuine question. Who was the last striker to come to the PL from the SPL that succeeded?

Henrik Larsson?

59 minutes ago, Kingsland Codger said:

Duncan Ferguson?

Yeah, fair enough. A decent record 79 goals/assists in 269 PL appearances.

Back to my original point then, you have to go back 30 years for a successful striker joining from the SPL. Miovski and Shankland aren't the answer

Edited by Saint Scott

17 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

Yeah, fair enough. A decent record 79 goals/assists in 269 PL appearances.

Back to my original point then, you have to go back 30 years for a successful striker joining from the SPL. Miovski and Shankland aren't the answer

Mark Viduka wasn't that far back, but was still a while ago TBF. I can't think of any newer examples.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CSA96 said:

Ollie Watkins

Watkins vs El Kaabi  1-5

El Kaabi destroyed Villa. He scored 5 goals against them in the 2 legs of the semi-final and then scored the winner against Fiorentina in the final

Aston Villa 2-4 Olympiakos: Ayoub El Kaabi hat-trick stuns Villa in Europa Conference League semi-final first leg | Football News | Sky Sports

Some of his records:

Player with the most goals scored in a season in the knockout stage of any single UEFA club competition

Morocco national team's top goal scorer this century

UEFA Europa Conference League Top scorer: 2023–24

Super League Greece Player of the Season: 2023–24

UEFA Europa Conference League Player of the Season: 2023–24

Edited by Nordic Saint

At a stretch; Callum Willson - probably just outside of our reach.  Weghorst might not be a bad shout; strong for hold up, brings others in, experienced, would probably net around 10 goals for us.  

It's a key position, we need some experience in there.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, notnowcato said:

Weghorst might not be a bad shout; strong for hold up, brings others in, experienced, would probably net around 10 goals for us.  

It's a key position, we need some experience in there.

Pretty terrible character if you speak to Burnley fans, and their players if Connor Roberts is anything to go by. Has an ego which certainly isn't backed up by any form of decent footballing ability.

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Pretty terrible character if you speak to Burnley fans, and their players if Connor Roberts is anything to go by. Has an ego which certainly isn't backed up by any form of decent footballing ability.

Most footballers have an ego, that wouldn’t concern me. 
He’s a proven top division player, experienced, strong and will more than likely get a goal every 3 to 4 games. 

He might not be on our radar but I hope his type is. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, notnowcato said:

Most footballers have an ego, that wouldn’t concern me. 
He’s a proven top division player, experienced, strong and will more than likely get a goal every 3 to 4 games. 

He might not be on our radar but I hope his type is. 

Kind to have disagree on the most footballers have an ego thing. Plenty of grounded players, and in particular focused Strikers that go on what they do on the pitch. 

Plenty that ignore the noise, plus I’d want an out and out striker that is scoring every couple of games. 

Thats down to the DOF  to put the right players together.

Take the point need someone to stick it in the net, but would not want an egotistical player rocking the boat in the dressing room. That just causes a nightmare. 

I’m sure we can find the right player, I don’t know the attitude or the player, but the pool to fish in is pretty big over  all the leagues including non league. 

On 09/07/2024 at 16:49, ally_uk said:

Mine would be: 

Wildcard: 

Carlton Morris: 

ooh, strikers/attackers are difficult...
I actually think all 3 mentioned could do a decent job for us, tbf 👍 

Ideally we need two new strikers.
Adebayo from Luton? Nketiah on loan from Arsenal could be very interesting, but his wage demands?
Broja I'd gladly give a nother chance on loan - with better supplies from our wingers than the first time he was here.
I'm ambivalent on Danny Ings....

Somehow, though,  I feel that we will successfully sign at least one successful PL level goal scoring attacker, but it might wait until around  the last day of the transfer window as was the case with Sadio M. who was almost unknown to me back then in 2014.

Real british quality players like "player of the season", Kevin Keegan (1981/82) and "young player of the season", Steve Moran (1981/82) would be fantastic.  

7 minutes ago, benali-shorts said:

Cameron Archer back at Villa and presumably surplus to requirements. Sure we’ve been interested before.  

Villa will then use the money we give them to snap up Ayoub El-Kaabi, who is the player we should get.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Did Villa not just get him back from Sheffield United, paying to do so?

However there was a clause in his contract guaranteeing Archer would return to Villa Park in the event of United being relegated.

Sheffield United splashed out £18million last summer on the kid striker but only paid a £3million instalment on the fee up front, which has been retained by Villa, effectively as a loan fee.

It means the Blades will not have to shell out the remaining £15million for Archer, who has become a Villa player again.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/29152809/aston-villa-transfer-cameron-archer-sheffield-united/

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bugenhagen said:

However there was a clause in his contract guaranteeing Archer would return to Villa Park in the event of United being relegated.

Sheffield United splashed out £18million last summer on the kid striker but only paid a £3million instalment on the fee up front, which has been retained by Villa, effectively as a loan fee.

It means the Blades will not have to shell out the remaining £15million for Archer, who has become a Villa player again.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/29152809/aston-villa-transfer-cameron-archer-sheffield-united/

Didn’t watch Sheffield last year but this could be a shout. He was class at lower levels. Similar gamble to delap