The Tory Leadership Race 2024

sadoldgit

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

Just when you thought that the Tories were going to have a grown up for a leader.....

Mind you if Cleverley supporters were really that cack handed it is perhaps  a good job that he hasn't gone through to the members vote. Has any politician ever  been as misnamed as Cleverley?? 

Even by the Tory standards of recent years this is a bizarre situation. It’s hard to decide who is the most obnoxious between the two of them so if the Tory Party members are looking for someone to appeal the the middle ground, good luck with that. Starmer and Ed Davey will be a happy bunnies this evening.

Edited by sadoldgit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

At least this time whatever mad fucker they choose will have fuck all impact on our lives. The nasty little fucker Jenrick won’t even have the power to paint over a kid’s mural as he fully gets behinds mad fucker Badenoch.

Edited by whelk
  • Like 2

Surely by now it is totally clear to everyone that they are both exactly the same. Neither of them care about a one of us. Both of them take backhanders and are self serving liars. To support one or the other so fervently is utterly nuts. Long gone are the days when either party really believes in anything or is there for working classes. Can none of you see this?

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Wasn't it the members that gave us Truss ?

All polls indicated they wanted Kemi, so ended up with Hobsons choice.

They're a bit more successful than the MP’s at picking election winners. This century No membership vote, just MP’s installing leader. 

William Hague- labour landslide 

Michael Howard- Labour landslide 

Theresa May- lost majority (against corbyn ffs)

Sunak- Labour landslide. 

Members election record. 

Cameron- Twice PM

Boris- Landslide 

I’d rather trust the members than the Lib Dem’s masquerading as Tories. 

19 hours ago, Gloucester Saint said:

Straight down the same opposition rabbit hole Labour went down with the wrong Miliband and then Steptoe. That’s them fucked for another Parliament. I’m not saying Cleverley is the next David Cameron but obvious he was the best available.

I did hear both of them talk about uniting the party. One of them mentioned appealing to the centre, with the other mentioning the breadth of the party.

Sort of bolted on to the rest of their comments, and possibly added by an advisor in felt tip after the rest of it was written.

I've posted on how disappointing and untrustworthy Starmer's lot have become. So, imagine what I think of Jenrick. Stunned he's anywhere near public office after the property scandal.

Leaving Badenoch, who must be loved by the loons on the right of her party, considering some of her comments.

Over at Labour, they can now adjust their policies to come in over a longer timescale.

Edited by Holmes_and_Watson
  • Like 1

No surprise to hear that Grant Shapps was Cleverly’s campaign manager. It takes a special kind of incompetence not to secure any Tugendhat votes for the only moderate left in the race.

I almost feel sorry for any moderates left amongst Tory voters. Whoever wins between Jenrick and Badenoch will be battling out with Farage for the votes for the further right whilst any remaining Tory centrists will either have to suck it up or defect to the LibDems. The damage that all of the various Tory PMs have done to their own party since Cameron doesn’t worry me. It’s just a shame that they managed to take the country down with them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, east-stand-nic said:

Surely by now it is totally clear to everyone that they are both exactly the same. Neither of them care about a one of us. Both of them take backhanders and are self serving liars. To support one or the other so fervently is utterly nuts. Long gone are the days when either party really believes in anything or is there for working classes. Can none of you see this?

Are they all shape shifting reptilians Nic?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

All polls indicated they wanted Kemi, so ended up with Hobsons choice.

They're a bit more successful than the MP’s at picking election winners. This century No membership vote, just MP’s installing leader. 

William Hague- labour landslide 

Michael Howard- Labour landslide 

Theresa May- lost majority (against corbyn ffs)

Sunak- Labour landslide. 

Members election record. 

Cameron- Twice PM

Boris- Landslide 

I’d rather trust the members than the Lib Dem’s masquerading as Tories. 

By all means they can have Badenoch but it’s a choice between that and power for the next 10-15 years. Ditto Jenrick, slightly better but not by much. They fucked up with tactical voting on a par with some of Russell Martin’s selections this season on the obvious option. 

Truss isn’t on that list above and has to be, Boris is but destroyed their party in doing so and paved the way for Truss who acted as Bomber Harris for what Boris didn’t wreck. Sunak would’ve lost but nowhere near that margin if they’d chosen him first.

Good self-deprecating text sent to the Indy by a Labour MP ‘Do we have to declare this result as a gift’ 😂

Very happy about it from a Lib Dem perspective, neither of those will make much of a dent in the old Blue Wall seats just gained/regained in the SW.

51 minutes ago, east-stand-nic said:

A great contribution as ever. I made a quite sensible post and you come back with nonsense.

I’ll try. I don’t just see it as an issue for the main two parties, although there has been some poor judgement from both, and the press seem to have forgotten the sheer scale of Boris and Cameron’s excesses already. Look at Farage in Clacton https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c1l47e86r39o - not exactly screaming of wanting to engage with working people.

Although the Nigel Jones, Jo Cox and David Amess fatal MP surgery incidents mean that security cannot be downplayed as an issue.

I do find the Lib Dem’s the best in terms of local responsiveness on everyday issues in their constituencies but they’ve still had bad apples e.g. Chris Huhne.

Personally, I think the only way you get them working by us is funded by us. No excuses then for wallpaper, spectacles or anything else paid for by various characters. But the public has to be prepared to broadly consent on that. 

18 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

The natives 😂😂😂

You mean the Lib Dem’s that are in the wrong party. 

Patrons include John Major who fucked the party for a generation, Tarzan who got rid of their election winning queen, Cameron who fucked of when the going got tough (despite saying he wouldn’t),Michael Howard who lost a GE by miles & Fat Pang who, a completely useless wet. 2 of them even fucked off with Soubry to join her losers (total seats won 0). 

It shouldn’t surprise anyone that these chumps won’t accept the result, they’ve form for it. Boris chucked loads of them out & won a large majority. There’s a lesson for Kemi right there. 

At least one of them seems to have it bang on the money.

“The sound you can hear in the background is the barrel being scraped,” they said. “We have a choice of an ECHR one-trick pony, who believes our special forces murder people, and an anti-woke one-trick pony who picks endless fights. As a choice, it’s shit.”

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

The natives 😂😂😂

Patrons include John Major who fucked the party for a generation, Tarzan who got rid of their election winning queen, Cameron who fucked of when the going got tough (despite saying he wouldn’t),Michael Howard who lost a GE by miles & Fat Pang who, a completely useless wet. 2 of them even fucked off with Soubry to join her losers (total seats won 0). 

It shouldn’t surprise anyone that these chumps won’t accept the result, they’ve form for it. Boris chucked loads of them out & won a large majority. There’s a lesson for Kemi right there. 

No, I mean the few Tories who are half decent human beings. 
As for “Kemi,” she really needs to join Reform with the other deeply unpleasant, self serving extremists.

Edited by sadoldgit
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

I wonder if those getting their panties in a bunch over Keir Starmer’s glasses will be equally outraged about this?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/kemi-badenoch-tory-leadership-jenrick-b2627675.html

Not sure how you haven't managed to grasp the fact that almost everyone doesn't want any politicians to be in anyone else's pocket.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

The natives 😂😂😂

Yeah. Bloody Disraeli and his idea of One Nation Tories. Pinko. Not  a true Conservative. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

😂😂😂

Boris won a single issue election where his main opponent was Corbyn. Hardly a ringing endorsement of his management of the party.

Edited by badgerx16

2 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Boris won a single issue election where his main opponent was Corbyn. Hardly a ringing endorsement of his management of the party.

Not to mention the brexit party stood down.  Don't think johnson would have done any better against reform this year.

9 minutes ago, pingpong said:

Not to mention the brexit party stood down. 

Exactly. The candidate that can unite the right, and do a deal with Reform will win more seats than a pinko who appeals to people who vote for other parties anyway. 

Tommy T & Cleverly are just the latest Rory Stewart tribute act. The Tories need to win floating voters like me back, not be the least worst Tory to Lib Dem & Labour voters. 

3 hours ago, The Kraken said:

Chasing the Reform vote worked so well last time.

When The Brexit party stood down in Tory seats, Boris won a landslide. When they tried to take Reform on, they fell to an historic defeat. 

The Telegraph did a lot of work around  this & came to the conclusion Reform cost them 80 seats. That’s a few more than Soubrys “one nation” chumps cost them in 2019. 

6 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

When The Brexit party stood down in Tory seats, Boris won a landslide. When they tried to take Reform on, they fell to an historic defeat. 

The Telegraph did a lot of work around  this & came to the conclusion Reform cost them 80 seats. That’s a few more than Soubrys “one nation” chumps cost them in 2019. 

Which is all well and good if you expect the Reform party to step down again and make way for the Tories. Personally I can’t see that dynamic happening again, given they’ve now got actual MPs. Chasing the right while also trying to regain the centre? Good luck.

• Like 2

You lose any final shreds of credibility when you quote the Telegraph - though you lost all of it fucking years ago if you defended lying Boris, the ultra-corrupt ejaculating clown, who was sacked for protecting one of his sex offender friends, between secret meetings with the Russians.

He should be in prison.

• Like 1

There was immediate anger and despair from many senior Tories after the result was announced, with several predicting that neither of the final two candidates would actually contest a general election. “This almost certainly means we’re going to have to go through it all again this side of an election,” said a former cabinet minister. “There’s no way those two people – either of them – can reunite the party, let alone the country. It’s almost the worst possible outcome.

“There’s always a chance that somebody can rise to the occasion and become a statesman when we least expect it. But in both these instances, these are people who have got flawed personalities. Kemi is divisive and aggressive and wrong about everything, and Jenrick is manipulative – and can be manipulated. They will be dancing on the fucking tables at Labour HQ.”

• Like 2

19 hours ago, rallyboy said:

You lose any final shreds of credibility when you quote the Telegraph - though you lost all of it fucking years ago if you defended lying Boris, the ultra-corrupt ejaculating clown, who was sacked for protecting one of his sex offender friends, between secret meetings with the Russians.

He should be in prison.

IS quoting the Guardian OK? A lot of poster on here always quote the Guardian.

3 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

To borrow Duckie’s favourite overused phrase……..new broom.

Lol - although if Labour continue to implode and the leaked memo from Taylor Swift come out telling Reeves what she wants CGT rate to be - those freebies tickets weren’t as free as they appeared. When the electorate realise Taylor Swift is the puppet master they will welcome the little 7 stone slouching cunt back

Duckie points out that the Tories need to appeal to him as a potential floating voter, likewise as someone whose voting preference is not set in stone they need to appeal to people like me. They can no longer appeal to both of us and that is where their dilemma lies. In shire county constituencies it is hard to see the likes of Honest Bob or Kemikazi will gain any traction. In 5 years time a whole load of potential Tory voters in these constituencies will not be with us and it may well be that the Lib Dumbs as he so poetically refers to them have a firm foothold. Interesting times. 

Edited by Winnersaint
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Winnersaint said:

Duckie points out that the Tories need to appeal to him as a potential floating voter, likewise as someone whose voting preference is not set in stone they need to appeal to people like me. They can no longer appeal to both of us and that is where their dilemma lies. In shire county constituencies it is hard to see the likes of Honest Bob or Kemikazi will gain any traction. In 5 years time a whole load of potential Tory voters in these constituencies will not be with us and it may well be that the Lib Dumbs as he so poetically refers to them have a firm foothold. Interesting times. 

Not least given Kemi’s latest off the cuff opinions with zero evidence behind them https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/badenoch-autism-comments-detached-reality-3323648

As someone who often votes Lib Dem but not always, I hope the picture you paint indeed comes to fruition. When the Bucklands of the party are derided for not being ‘real Tories’ you know they are going down the same rabbit holes Labour did with Corbyn to get one over on ‘Blue Labour’.

Jenrick asked about the property scandal. He claims he acted completely above board. It was pulled because they didn't want a hint of impropriety. And Labour agreed to build it 4 years later, so the dodging tax bit must have been fine.

And if you believe that, I've a property in...oh, hang on it's not clear where he was living during lockdown

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

“Dangerous”

Dangerous for those of us with autism. My livelihood depends on being able to work, I don't want to live off benefits. (Which I guess she would also want to remove).

• Like 5

6 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

“Dangerous”

Yes https://www.autism.org.uk/what-we-do/news/new-data-on-the-autism-employment-gap

It costs everyone far more to keep people on benefits when actually with a few low/no cost reasonable adjustments and sensible management people on the autistic and related spectrum can contribute really well in the workplace. Which equals greater economic productivity.

It’s also very good for giving bright people who find it less easy to mask conditions in the workplace financial independence and self-confidence.  

Badenoch’s latest idiot comments (on top of maternity pay and McDonalds) would also block neurodivergent people’s progress towards that point from education onwards by stigmatising or de-funding reasonable adjustments.

• Like 4

Think many Tories underestimate the decency and fairness that runs through most of the electorate. They don’t like bullies and Badenoch comes across as a very uncaring person. Don’t know enough about her to know if that is true but she should at least be smart enough to know whatever point she is making about maternity pay and autism is going to be seized on. Naive at best -most of us know someone with autism and absolutely want them to thrive and don’t think the workplace is over pandering to their needs. 

• Like 2

She's trying to appeal to the nastiest in society because she doesn't realise that only a small number of voters hate all people on benefits.

It's just a repeat of the angry rubbish that saw her party dismantled in the summer.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, suewhistle said:

She doesn't like LGBTetc, mothers, civil servants, foreigners, anybody who is at all diverse, autistic etc. Who _is_ she appealing to?

The narrow minded, elderly, middle class, blue rinse brigade that elect the leader of the Conservative Party.

• Haha 1