The Tory Leadership Race 2024

sadoldgit

On 28/07/2024 at 22:28, badgerx16 said:

She's waiting for the wildernes years to come to an end, possibly 2 more leadership elections down the line.

Any time when she is leader will likely extend the wilderness years by another cycle.  She lack any centrist appeal and there simple are not enough votes that far right wing to win her a general election.  I’m all for her succeeding Badenoch or Patel after they loose the next election.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gloucester Saint said:

I thought this was a wind up by the Indie initially but is now running with nearly every outlet so must be true https://news.sky.com/story/tory-leadership-candidates-may-want-to-think-twice-about-trashing-rivals-they-could-get-a-yellow-card-13186937

Their is only one criteria to become the leader, whoever can tell the best set of lies wins

Don't think it narrows the field much though

• Like 1

The problem they have is that a new leader needs to distance themselves from the last decade and be honest about things.

Sadly the party membership don't respond well to honesty, they always prefer personality, fantasy policies, flag-hugging and ridiculous promises that can never be delivered.

Major rebuild needed - new face and integrity required.

It’s a bit of a motley crew. If the party want to try and out nasty Reform, Badenoch is your go to leader. Tugendhat probably the best bet for a more sensible, centrist leader (although even he has shown signs of pandering to the right of the party).

From what she has been saying, Braverman probably realises that her goose has been well and truly cooked within the party and her next stop is Reform. In the next few years they could end up with a the most nefarious gang in Parliament since Guy Fawkes.

Braverman fucked people of with her dissing the party before the election. Her support dwindled. Badenoch toned herself down prior to the election to position herself for the leadership bid.

It will be Tugendhat V Badenoch at the end, unity with little vision V fantasy vision and anti-wokery. Badenoch wins and is a disaster. 

Have any of them actually provided any concrete information about what they would do as party leader or, shudder, Prime Minister?

The whole thing is just a bitchy mud-slinging farce, conducted by people who have thoroughly proved just how incompetent they actually are in government.

The Tory Party comes up with it's manifestos by locking a spad in a dark room for a month rather than consulting and having a process involving representative organisations, as the Labour Party does. Boris seemed to think it was his job to be an ideas man, hence the bridge to Ireland:mcinnes: and Truss was another lady not for turning who lived in a world of her own.

I want to know what they plan to do and how they plan to go about developing policy initiatives but the chances of that seem to be the sum total of bugger all 🤬

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Danbert said:

I want to know what they plan to do and how they plan to go about developing policy initiatives but the chances of that seem to be the sum total of bugger all 🤬

You know they will be the "opposition" right?

The last "opposition" didn't come up with any of those things until about 6 weeks before the election.

I fear you may have a long wait on your hands.

32 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

The last "opposition" didn't come up with any of those things until about 6 weeks before the election.

What you say is perfectly correct but when choosing a leader you need to know in which direction they will take the party. You can't wait until 6 weeks before the next election to doscover that the apparently normal person for whom you voted is even more right wing than Duckie. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

What you say is perfectly correct but when choosing a leader you need to know in which direction they will take the party. You can't wait until 6 weeks before the next election to doscover that the apparently normal person for whom you voted is even more right wing than Duckie. 

The leader chosen now will not be in charge of the Tory party in 5 (more likely 10) years, so it's a moot point.

4 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

What you say is perfectly correct but when choosing a leader you need to know in which direction they will take the party. 

What if they lie to get elected leader, like Starmer did? The direction you’re taking means fuck all, if you don’t take the party there. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

What if they lie to get elected leader, like Starmer did? The direction you’re taking means fuck all, if you don’t take the party there. 

That’s a bit rich coming from someone who voted for the congenital liar Boris Johnson. 
Starmer has said many times that he looked at why they lost and changed things. Sign of a good leader. Something your people have sadly lacked.

Another in a long line of deeply inappropriate leaders?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jul/30/kemi-badenoch-accused-of-bullying-and-traumatising-staff

Edited by sadoldgit

5 hours ago, Danbert said:

Have any of them actually provided any concrete information about what they would do as party leader or, shudder, Prime Minister?

The whole thing is just a bitchy mud-slinging farce, conducted by people who have thoroughly proved just how incompetent they actually are in government.

The Tory Party comes up with it's manifestos by locking a spad in a dark room for a month rather than consulting and having a process involving representative organisations, as the Labour Party does. Boris seemed to think it was his job to be an ideas man, hence the bridge to Ireland:mcinnes: and Truss was another lady not for turning who lived in a world of her own.

Badenoch has said she will focus on sovereignty, if that helps. I think this is primarily focused on getting rid of any pesky human rights or international laws.

Also a lot of articles describe her as the 'darling of the rights because of her views on getting rid of disabled toilets / replacing them with gender specific ones.

17 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Many of the issues facing the UK are structural. The Cameroon Osbourne government saw our deficit as a huge problem and tried and failed to fix it. For Truss, it was the tax burden. Boris' nebulous plan was to 'get Brexit done'. The new Labour Government clearly wants to do something about housing. I don't see why a leadership candidate couldn't address these sorts of issues rather than banging on about what a woman is or similar.

• Like 2

They should listen to some of their grandees like Chris Patten about the direction they should take. He despises Farage and what he stands for btw and also baffled why more moderates likeTugenhat are talking about leaving EHCR.   All candidates are pretty lightweight though. Be funny if Badenoch as she is generally hopeless and looks a very uninspiring leader.

Edited by whelk
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, pingpong said:

Badenoch has said she will focus on sovereignty, if that helps. I think this is primarily focused on getting rid of any pesky human rights or international laws.

Also a lot of articles describe her as the 'darling of the rights because of her views on getting rid of disabled toilets / replacing them with gender specific ones.

It’s a default position for the right. Wave a flag, talk about “sovereignty,” blame everything on immigrants and others who are “different to ‘us’.”

A Badenoch Tory Party and Reform are two sides of the same coin.

On 30/07/2024 at 13:10, Danbert said:

A spad from Tufton Street, with oven ready ideas. It fantasy trickle down high tide bollocks politics. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Danbert said:

Supposed frontrunner Jenrick's big idea is to reinstate the Rawanda deportation policy :mcinnes:

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/tories-mount-stop-jenrick-campaign-leadership-frontrunner-3206319?ITO=newsnow

If he is the best they have then Labour will be in power a while yet! A horrible little road of a man with less charisma than a month old lettuce and a record of corruption and failure as long as your arm!

• Like 3

As our country was run into the ground and divided by corruption, lies, incompetence and austerity, Jenrick was always there at the top table making decisions, lining his own pockets and proudly defending criminality.

He is part of the problem, not a solution to anything.

Consign him and his sort to history and let's try and find a way forward.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Just a case of choosing the battlegrounds;

Jenrick if you want to steal lollipops from foreign children.

Badenoch if you are scared that woke people are trying to cancel you.

Cleverly if you want to cosy up to Rwanda again.

They'll probably end up with jenrick, he only has the one incredibly cruel news story in his past to whitewash, the others have multiple.

5 minutes ago, pingpong said:

They'll probably end up with jenrick, he only has the one incredibly cruel news story in his past to whitewash, the others have multiple.

That shouldn't take much doing.  In fact, what he did probably appeals to the Tory core.  Around the same they had renta-gobshite Jonathan Gullis shout out in the Commons that unaccompanied asylum-seeking children who had gone missing "shouldn't have come here illegally in the first place".

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, pingpong said:

They'll probably end up with jenrick, he only has the one incredibly cruel news story in his past to whitewash, ....

If you ignore the backhanders from property developers.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/all-the-times-robert-jenrick-has-faced-corruption-charges-260587/

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Another article on that site from polling shows Patel, Cleverley and Badenoch were the only ones more than 50% of respondents who voted Tory in July could identify and Jenrick is regarded as ‘smug’, ‘slimy’ and ‘wooden’.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/voters-are-beginning-to-view-tories-as-weird-382193/

What I think will happen is that this will be in effect an interim appointment followed by another heavy defeat, and then the more serious candidates start to emerge. If Trump loses, whoever the members select will already look as up to date as an Artex ceiling. Plus the tabloids and members are still in populist, shouty, culture war mode, and need to get it out of their system with a Badenoch or Jenryck. 

By 2029 or 2030 there will also be some structural changes amongst the newspapers. I’m not sure Reach can afford to keep the Express on life support when it’s bleeding cash and the Sun has taken a turn away from party politics. Telegraph’s future is still unclear and also in serious financial difficulty so the main shouting might from the Mail by then.

Also, new MPs will have joined, especially the likes of Andy Street who isn’t tainted like the rest of the former cabinet. 

Edited by Gloucester Saint
  • Like 1

Mel Stride knocked out today. It looks like Jenrick and Badenoch will be the final two at the moment.

If it is those two who go forward to the membership vote, what a choice!

Edited by sadoldgit

16 minutes ago, Gloucester Saint said:

Certainly possible, but Cleverly would need to pick up the lion’s share of the Stride supporters to get back into contention for the final two.

He didn’t pick up any of Patel’s votes which were split fairly evenly between the other 3 successful candidates. Cleverly isn’t the sharpest knife in the draw (nicknamed Jimmy Dimly) and Tugendhat might have more appeal for those who voted for Stride. The further down the line we get the more that voters might be thinking about getting a job in the shadow cabinet at the end of it, so we might see more votes going to the leading candidates.

6 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

Mel Stride knocked out today. It looks like Jenrick and Badenoch will be the final two at the moment.

If it is those two who go forward to the membership vote, what a choice!

What wonderful times we live in when those two are the best the Tory party can dredge up! A serial failure and a raving lunatic, I don’t see either of them winning the next election as they have about as much appeal to the centre as a pack of hungry lions does to a zebra!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, a1ex2001 said:

What wonderful times we live in when those two are the best the Tory party can dredge up! A serial failure and a raving lunatic, I don’t see either of them winning the next election as they have about as much appeal to the centre as a pack of hungry lions does to a zebra!

Yeah, Tugendhat would the adult choice to repair some of the considerable damage but they’re still drunk as rats on Brexit, Truss and Trump populist culture wars. 

This is an interesting article by Tugenhadt talking his experience of being treated an an incomer or not truly British because of his name. Its from 2020 so well before the war in Gaza and the issues that throws up, so probably worse now. 

I’d never really considered myself Jewish before I entered parliament in 2015. As a Catholic Brit with a French mother and English father the Austrian bit—our name—was a legacy of long ago.

At a push, I would have said I was Jew-ish. But even that was tenuous. The Vienna my grandfather grew up in and left shortly after the First World War was not religious. It was dominated by Freud and Hayek rather than cantors and rabbis.

And that world disappeared. Grandfather Georg left in the 1920s to study in London and married, converting to get her family’s permission.

A veteran of the war, he had fought for the Emperor King Franz Josef, he was marrying the daughter of a man who had died in Ypres fighting for the King Emperor George V. Such marriages were unusual and it was clear that to my grandmother’s family, the Austrian Imperial Eagle was more of an issue than the Star of David, after all, he could convert.

After five years in Westminster, though, I have been made to ask whether he really could and forced to ask myself if I feel differently. As many non-Jews with the names Cohen will tell you, this prejudice isn’t theological. ‘Funny names’, like mine, are used to question loyalty and challenge belonging.

A historical throwback as out of place as ducking stools or witch hunters, is in Britain today and I’m seeing it for the first time. Antisemitism–in its varying shades–is still with us.

I was surprised to see so many of the old tropes echoed in a major newspaper recently and, though grateful for the mountains of support including from many of their own journalists, was forced to ask–what do some think I am? A foreigner in my own country?

Perhaps that’s not what was meant but the myths it repeated I’ve heard before and it reminded me that there is an ongoing blind-spot for antisemitism in liberal, British society where the quinoa is followed by a quip.

This more polished slight is nothing new — Margaret Thatcher’s cabinet was said to contain ‘more Estonians than Etonians’. It has taken me time to see it but serving in Parliament has made it clear.

It’s strange to see similar sentiments in a paper that would vilify anyone breaking the taboo of such insults to any other group. They’re right, of course. We should cherish the enrichment that Britons whose parents or grandparents brought to our islands, when their names show clearly that they grew up more than a few miles from church bells. But for some reason, not all should be welcomed.

Not all are full citizens, clearly. My own name is a reminder of the days before Jews were had rights. Tugendhat, rather grandly, means ‘has virtue’. Something which amuses me – albeit for different reasons – as I can imagine the hope of the citizenship that a name indicates.

I smile at the arrogance of my ancestor who threw caution to the wind and chose something so showy. Perhaps I’d have done the same.

At the same time, I remember how I felt at Yad Vashem. Tugendhat just one name amongst millions and the hope it embodied barely a century before now reduced to a record in a war crime archive.

Perhaps that’s why my last connection to a history of European Jewish culture makes me so conscious of the words that normalise hatred and try to turn me into an outsider in my own home.

Many of those victims never thought of themselves as Jews either but their murderers felt otherwise. My grandfather, who converted to Catholicism to marry my grandmother, would have found the Mass I still attend, no defence.

1 hour ago, buctootim said:

Tugenhadt

Looks like he’s the new Rory Stewart, the person everyone who won’t ever vote Tory want to lead the party. Personally, I hope he does  win because it’ll be he final nail in their pink coffin. Wont happen as he’s got absolutely zero chance of getting past the members, mainly because Tory members tend to be …..Tories. 

They’ll do their best to ensure Kemi doesn’t make the final 2, so I imagine all the Lib Dem’s pretending to be tories will fall in behind him or Cleverly, handing it to Jenrick . 

2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Looks like he’s the new Rory Stewart, the person everyone who won’t ever vote Tory want to lead the party. Personally, I hope he does  win because it’ll be he final nail in their pink coffin. Wont happen as he’s got absolutely zero chance of getting past the members, mainly because Tory members tend to be …..Tories. 

They’ll do their best to ensure Kemi doesn’t make the final 2, so I imagine all the Lib Dem’s pretending to be tories will fall in behind him or Cleverly, handing it to Jenrick . 

God forbid that there should be a half decent/competent human being leading the Tory Party for a change. Still, you support Farage so that says it all.

10 hours ago, buctootim said:

This is an interesting article by Tugenhadt talking his experience of being treated an an incomer or not truly British because of his name. Its from 2020 so well before the war in Gaza and the issues that throws up, so probably worse now. 

I’d never really considered myself Jewish before I entered parliament in 2015. As a Catholic Brit with a French mother and English father the Austrian bit—our name—was a legacy of long ago.

At a push, I would have said I was Jew-ish. But even that was tenuous. The Vienna my grandfather grew up in and left shortly after the First World War was not religious. It was dominated by Freud and Hayek rather than cantors and rabbis.

And that world disappeared. Grandfather Georg left in the 1920s to study in London and married, converting to get her family’s permission.

A veteran of the war, he had fought for the Emperor King Franz Josef, he was marrying the daughter of a man who had died in Ypres fighting for the King Emperor George V. Such marriages were unusual and it was clear that to my grandmother’s family, the Austrian Imperial Eagle was more of an issue than the Star of David, after all, he could convert.

After five years in Westminster, though, I have been made to ask whether he really could and forced to ask myself if I feel differently. As many non-Jews with the names Cohen will tell you, this prejudice isn’t theological. ‘Funny names’, like mine, are used to question loyalty and challenge belonging.

A historical throwback as out of place as ducking stools or witch hunters, is in Britain today and I’m seeing it for the first time. Antisemitism–in its varying shades–is still with us.

I was surprised to see so many of the old tropes echoed in a major newspaper recently and, though grateful for the mountains of support including from many of their own journalists, was forced to ask–what do some think I am? A foreigner in my own country?

Perhaps that’s not what was meant but the myths it repeated I’ve heard before and it reminded me that there is an ongoing blind-spot for antisemitism in liberal, British society where the quinoa is followed by a quip.

This more polished slight is nothing new — Margaret Thatcher’s cabinet was said to contain ‘more Estonians than Etonians’. It has taken me time to see it but serving in Parliament has made it clear.

It’s strange to see similar sentiments in a paper that would vilify anyone breaking the taboo of such insults to any other group. They’re right, of course. We should cherish the enrichment that Britons whose parents or grandparents brought to our islands, when their names show clearly that they grew up more than a few miles from church bells. But for some reason, not all should be welcomed.

Not all are full citizens, clearly. My own name is a reminder of the days before Jews were had rights. Tugendhat, rather grandly, means ‘has virtue’. Something which amuses me – albeit for different reasons – as I can imagine the hope of the citizenship that a name indicates.

I smile at the arrogance of my ancestor who threw caution to the wind and chose something so showy. Perhaps I’d have done the same.

At the same time, I remember how I felt at Yad Vashem. Tugendhat just one name amongst millions and the hope it embodied barely a century before now reduced to a record in a war crime archive.

Perhaps that’s why my last connection to a history of European Jewish culture makes me so conscious of the words that normalise hatred and try to turn me into an outsider in my own home.

Many of those victims never thought of themselves as Jews either but their murderers felt otherwise. My grandfather, who converted to Catholicism to marry my grandmother, would have found the Mass I still attend, no defence.

Woke.

8 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I find it difficult to imagine a less inspiring leader than Jenrick, this is a man so corrupt that even Boris had to give him the boot!   He makes SKS look like the king of charisma which is probably his only impressive contribution to politics to date!

1 minute ago, pingpong said:

Woke.

Why is 'woke' used as some sort of insult? seems a pretty sensible thing to be to me if you want to be leader of a political party or nation!

'aware of and actively attentive to important facts and issues especially of racial and social injustice.'

• Like 1