The Tory Leadership Race 2024

sadoldgit

2 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

It will be whittled down to 2 candidates and the Tory members will have the final vote, brilliant they will go for the biggest nutter.

That process really hasn't worked for them, I'm surprised they didn't change it. Swivel-eyed loon incoming.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Danbert said:

That process really hasn't worked for them, 

It gave them Cameron & Boris, who both won majorities. Whereas Sunak & May weren’t endorsed by the members & didnt. May couldn’t even hold onto a majority against Jeremy friggin Corbyn, & Sunak suffered their worse defeat for 100 years. 

53 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

It gave them Cameron & Boris, who both won majorities. Whereas Sunak & May weren’t endorsed by the members & didnt. May couldn’t even hold onto a majority against Jeremy friggin Corbyn, & Sunak suffered their worse defeat for 100 years. 

No mention of Truss? 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Sunak lost so badly because he had Braverman, Badenoch, Rees-Mogg, and all the other headbangers, together with the legacy of  Johnson, Truss and Kwarteng.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Sunak lost so badly because he had Braverman, Badenoch, Rees-Mogg, and all the other headbangers, together with the legacy of  Johnson, Truss and Kwarteng.

Johnson, the bloke that won the biggest Tory majority since Maggie? 

The bloke lost so heavily because he called an election at the wrong time, & then ran the worst campaign in living memory. That together with Nigel coming back…..

The problem isn’t the members, it’s the ridiculous pinko parliamentary party’s rounds of voting. They try & gerrymander the result by “lending” votes and other such nonsense. Instead of having one vote with the top 2 or 3 going to the membership they contrive to give their favoured candidate what they think is the easiest run off. They’ll try and do the same & keep Kemi off the final ballot this time. They will try & get Tugentwat against some dud if they can.

The fact is out of the last 4 leaders that stood in a GE, the 2 where the members didn’t get a vote ran absolutely horrendous campaigns & the two supported by the members won majorities. Yet the members are the problem 🤷 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

The bloke lost so heavily because he called an election at the wrong time, & then ran the worst campaign in living memory. That together with Nigel coming back…..

The problem isn’t the members, it’s the ridiculous pinko parliamentary party’s rounds of voting. They try & gerrymander the result by “lending” votes and other such nonsense. Instead of having one vote with the top 2 or 3 going to the membership they contrive to give their favoured candidate what they think is the easiest run off. They’ll try and do the same & keep Kemi off the final ballot this time. They will try & get Tugentwat against some dud if they can.

The fact is out of the last 4 leaders that stood in a GE, the 2 where the members didn’t get a vote ran absolutely horrendous campaigns & the two supported by the members won majorities. Yet the members are the problem 🤷 

So desperately sad

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

What is the point of them electing a leader who would look at home in the Reform Party? If they go down that road they will continue to split the well right of centre vote. Their best bet is to reframe themselves as the One Nation party of old (yes, I know that branding was a load of crap but it worked for many in Middle England). Their problem is that there are few moderates left, only a bunch of head banging swivels. There is no room in the current electoral system for two very similar parties if one of them is serious about forming a government on its own. If they were to form a coalition down the line they would have the same problem Cameron had with the far right in his party.

The electorate here doesn’t like extremists. No matter what Duckie thinks, their best chance of power is moving towards the centre and letting Farage hoover up the other nut jobs. Pinkos they may be Duckie, but they will poll more votes than your buddy Farage. There aren’t enough of people like you to get him the top job. He will always be a fringe operator. There aren’t enough people here who want him as our PM.

Edited by sadoldgit
Typo

1 minute ago, sadoldgit said:

What is the point of them electing a leader who would look at home in the Reform Party? If they go down that road they will continue to split the well right of centre vote. Their best bet is to reframe themselves as the One Nation party of old (yes, I know that branding was a load of crap but it worked for many in Middle England). Their problem is that there are few moderates left, only a bunch of head banging swivels. There is no room in the current electoral system for two very similar parties if one of them is serious about forming a government on its own. If they were to form a coalition down the line they would have the same problem Cameron had with the far right in his party.

The electorate here doesn’t like extremists. No matter what Duckie thinks, their best chance of power is moving towards the centre and letting Farage hoover up the other nut jobs. Pinkos they may be Duckie, but they will poll more votes than your buddy Farage. There aren’t enough of people like you to get him the top job. He will always be a fringe operator. There are enough people here who want him as our PM.

fuck my life

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

🤷

'The legacy of Johnson'; partygate, blatant lying, complete lack of empathy, maybe even "not the Brexit I voted for".

• Like 2

Waiting until November to get a new leader, especially with Sunak now playing the nice guy with Labour, makes me think they're taking their time to properly work things out and go for a win in 10 years, rather than go for a quick option to try and be competitive sooner. 

Sensible approach IMO, would be to give it to someone boring for the next 5 years, rebuild the reputation by not being completely shit and then get to the other side of the 2029 election with circa 250 MPs to build on.  In the meantime try and alienate all the mad MPs they currently have (i.e. most of the leadership candidates).  They basically need their own Starmer.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

What is the point of them electing a leader who would look at home in the Reform Party? If they go down that road they will continue to split the well right of centre vote. 

I thought you've been telling us for months that the entire party was extreme/hardcore right wing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

'The legacy of Johnson'; partygate, blatant lying, complete lack of empathy, maybe even "not the Brexit I voted for".

Don’t spoil his little wet dream

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

MPs burst out laughing as Cruella stands up and says that Labour have failed to address child proverty by not scrapping the 2 child benefit limit.

Totally shameless twat.

Strongly rumoured to be defecting to Reform in the autumn. Probably just before the conference to maximise self-publicity. Tice and Farage encouraging it, although can’t see some of the people who stood for them this summer being too happy going by their social media histories. 

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

MPs burst out laughing as Cruella stands up and says that Labour have failed to address child proverty by not scrapping the 2 child benefit limit.

Totally shameless twat.

She was the host on LBC this today for 3 hours. She seemed completely oblivious to the fact that she has been part and parcel of the Tory car crash government and had championed some of its worst policies. Her last caller was a trans and called her out over her unhelpful comments about trans people. She almost fell over herself in her efforts to be empathetic to them and couldn’t have sounded more insincere if she tried. She is a perfect fit for Reform.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

She was the host on LBC this today for 3 hours. She seemed completely oblivious to the fact that she has been part and parcel of the Tory car crash government and had championed some of its worst policies. Her last caller was a trans and called her out over her unhelpful comments about trans people. She almost fell over herself in her efforts to be empathetic to them and couldn’t have sounded more insincere if she tried. She is a perfect fit for Reform.

"A trans???" That's very dehuminising language. Would you call someone a black? 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

his mask has slipped again, I see

Short hand for a person who is transitioning but feel free to ignore the issue again by trying to create another. You would make a perfect candidate for Reform too.

From what I have read, they often describe themselves as “trans” so if they don’t have a problem with it, why should you?

Edited by sadoldgit
Added text

4 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Short hand for a person who is transitioning but feel free to ignore the issue again by trying to create another. You would make a perfect candidate for Reform too.

Woukd you use the short hand for someone from Pakistan? I think we all know the answer. 

33 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Short hand for a person who is transitioning

Have you got short hand for a person who comes from Pakistan?

Edited by whelk
Hypo beat me to it

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

From what I have read, they often describe themselves as “trans” so if they don’t have a problem with it, why should you?

what till you find out what the Black community often call each other

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, whelk said:

Have you got short hand for a person who comes from Pakistan?

Pakistani?  If trans people call themselves trans, why do you have a problem with it other than trying to stir up more pointless nonsense?

Australian = Aussie. Is that offensive?

Edited by sadoldgit

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Woukd you use the short hand for someone from Pakistan? I think we all know the answer. 

Shouldn’t you be on the transfer thread? You haven’t posted there for at least 5 minutes.

12 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Pakistani?  If trans people call themselves trans, why do you have a problem with it other than trying to stir up more pointless nonsense?

You used it as a noun.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Australian = Aussie. Is that offensive?

They don't say "a trans" though do they just like you wouldn't say "a black". Because it's offensive....  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

They don't say "a trans" though do they just like you wouldn't say "a black". Because it's offensive....  

I feel like you might be wasting your time. Time and again this person has been “careless” with terminologies but when the ignorance is pointed out he plain couldn’t care less. ‘Offended by it? Well that’s your problem not mine’.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I feel like you might be wasting your time. Time and again this person has been “careless” with terminologies but when the ignorance is pointed out he plain couldn’t care less. ‘Offended by it? Well that’s your problem not mine’.

And comes back later to edit and uses the ‘what about Aussie’ lines. Would fit in well with Tommy Robinson’s mob - “cant even say that these days, what’s happening to our country?”

• Like 2

3 hours ago, whelk said:

You used it as a noun.

So what? You are just trying to make something out of nothing. 

Back to the real world. Tom Tugendhat has thrown his hat in the ring.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Kraken said:

Wasn’t it passed off as “clumsy language”? 

as he said he’ll post what he wants and if we don’t like it don’t read it. Which is strange given how he’s the first one to jump up and down with all sorts of accusations when he reads something he doesn’t like

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, whelk said:

And comes back later to edit and uses the ‘what about Aussie’ lines. Would fit in well with Tommy Robinson’s mob - “cant even say that these days, what’s happening to our country?”

Endlessly pious about intolerance, when he's easily the most intolerant person on the board.

2 hours ago, The Kraken said:

Sadly this. Too ignorant to even want to learn, when it's easier to blame the rest of us for the repeated slurs.

A week with a transphobic slip, stunning foreign policy resolution with "I don't know", having spent months criticising other views, and passive-aggressive link only posts when his opinions are rightly called out.

And that's just the highlights I've seen in some of the responses. Who knows what the next week of fiver-funded delusions will bring?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Kraken said:

This person as you call me is posting on a football forum. It is not the Oxford University Debating Society. You don’t seem to get so worked up when other people are “careless.” In this case I really don’t see the problem as trans people often refer to “trans” themselves. You just seem desperate to find something to have a dig. Were you really offended just because I said trans instead of trans person? I doubt it very much. I wasn’t sure if they were a trans man or a trans woman so I just said trans. If that has deeply offended you so much then I humbly apologise. I suspect though if someone else had said trans you wouldn’t have given it a second thought.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Endlessly pious about intolerance, when he's easily the most intolerant person in the board.

Sadly this. Too ignorant to even want to learn, when it's easier to blame the rest of us for the repeated slurs.

Yep. It’s always everyone else who is at fault. Never him, no way, couldn’t be.

When it’s actually explained why what he said is genuinely offensive he responds with “So what? You are just trying to make something out of nothing. Back to the real world.”

A hideous individual.

Edited by The Kraken
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Reminder. This thread is about the Tory leadership contest. Any chance we can discuss that here?

We will post what we like if you don’t like it don’t read it

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

This person as you call me is posting on a football forum. It is not the Oxford University Debating Society. You don’t seem to get so worked up when other people are “careless.” In this case I really don’t see the problem as trans people often refer to “trans” themselves. You just seem desperate to find something to have a dig. Were you really offended just because I said trans instead of trans person? I doubt it very much. I wasn’t sure if they were a trans man or a trans woman so I just said trans. If that has deeply offended you so much then I humbly apologise. I suspect though if someone else had said trans you wouldn’t have given it a second thought.

And yet, if you had just omitted the 'a' in your original post, none of this would have even been an issue.

Can you not see the difference between referring to someone as "trans" and referring to them as "a trans"? It might seem trivial to you, but using correct language is really important if you don't want to be seen as ignorant or dismissive.

You might try and pass this off as another case of being 'careless', but that just seems to happen way too often with you doesn't it.

• Like 8

Using trans as a noun is not appropriate, but I do see outright transphobia, dead naming, deliberate mispronouns, and transphobic terms used on here without the outrage and corrections that fly when it is a certain poster making a mistake.

Happy to denounce trans as a noun, would like to see this same response on the lgbt thread when transphobes are making their 'jokes' about transwomen too...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, pingpong said:

Using trans as a noun is not appropriate, but I do see outright transphobia, dead naming, deliberate mispronouns, and transphobic terms used on here without the outrage and corrections that fly when it is a certain poster making a mistake.

Happy to denounce trans as a noun, would like to see this same response on the lgbt thread when transphobes are making their 'jokes' about transwomen too...

It isn’t the hypocrisy of posters feigning offence at SOG’s language, it is about the poster. He is quick to label others bigots and lauds himself as the champion of liberal values. So when he uses offensive language it will understandably be jumped upon.

Edited by whelk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, whelk said:

It isn’t the hypocrisy of posters feigning offence at SOG’s language, it is about the poster. He is quick to label others bigots and lauds himself as the champion of liberal values. So when he uses offensive language it will understandably be jumped upon.

The attitudes and feelings of several posters who attack SoG is clear and obvious (I don't include you in that fwiw). The hypocrisy is staggering. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, egg said:

The attitudes and feelings of several posters who attack SoG is clear and obvious (I don't include you in that fwiw). The hypocrisy is staggering. 

Oh come on Egg. For years he has attacked other people then plays the victim when he gets it back. His pious, arrogant attitude has brought it all on himself. It’s not just this forum either I’ve seen it happen on two others forums too. Yet it’s never him. Why should he be allowed to call people things, which he has done repeatedly for years and not get any come back? 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, whelk said:

Very much this.

54 minutes ago, egg said:

As Whelk says, it's nothing to do with someone having a different opinion.