The Tory Leadership Race 2024

sadoldgit

11 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

:mcinnes:

You don’t think it worthwhile having a discussion about Sunak’s replacement? Ok. Given your extreme political views it would have been interesting to hear your view, but if you can’t be bothered, so be it.

I’m sure you will post an opinion when we know the result though, especially if they choose a raging pinko. 😉

• Like 1

I suspect we will get an interim leader who will operate whilst the party fights internally for it's new identity, then in 3 years time the person to take them into the next GE, and probably lose, will emerge.

Posted (edited)

Am I the only one who thinks Cameron would be the best of the bunch they have? I know he's not an MP but I reckon one or two current MPs were disappointed not to get voted out. IDS particularly so a seat could be made available.  

Edited by buctootim

3 minutes ago, buctootim said:

Am I the only one who thinks Cameron would be the best of the bunch they have? I know he's not an MP but I reckon one or two current MPs were disappointed not to get voted out. IDS particularly so a seat could be made available.  

There's a precedent for that with Alec Douglas-Hume.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

After a response like this it is a pity that there isn't a dickhead emoji. 

AI isnt all its cracked up to be....

This content may violate our usage policies.

ChatGPT

Sure, here is a representation of the "dickhead" emoji:

markdown
Copy code
__ / \ | | |____| \ / \/

This simple text art shows a face with a phallic shape as a head. If you need a more detailed or specific design, please provide additional instructions!

5 hours ago, buctootim said:

Contaminated by being responsible for Brexit.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Really hope it is Braverman for the fun of seeing them becoming irrelevant. Although imagine she is hugely unpopular with many in party as no sense of being any sort of team player.

Edited by whelk
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Contaminated by being responsible for Brexit.

He just lanced the boil. Both Tories and Labour had been divided by argument over Europe for decades, since the last days of Thatcher. 

Trying to settle the issue once and for all was sound strategy when it looked as if Remain would win comfortably. No one really anticipated leave winning, including Farage. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, whelk said:

Really hope it is Braverman for the fun of seeing them becoming irrelevant. Although imagine she is hugely unpopular with many in party as no sense of being any sort of team player.

Can imagine her being popular with the membership which is mainly elderly, white and male but would probably meet resistance from the MPs.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, buctootim said:

He just lanced the boil. Both Tories and Labour had been divided by argument over Europe for decades, since the last days of Thatcher. 

Trying to settle the issue once and for all was sound strategy when it looked as if Remain would win comfortably. No one really anticipated leave winning, including Farage. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. 

He's a gambler. Not really what you want in a Prime Minister. 

8 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

Not that anyone here seems remotely interested in the Tory leadership race, but…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cg3eqy1r5q0o.amp

Whilst I have little interest in their leadership squabbles, I am even less interested in JRM's upcoming 'reality' TV series, which, when my wife read about it, I assumed was a remake of 'The Victorian Family'.

Edited by badgerx16

11 hours ago, rallyboy said:

The Changing of the Arseholes.

They have no quality to choose from.

Tugendhat would be decent, can see him winning the MPs but not the loonies in the membership. His best chance is if Kemi and Braverman split the populist/American culture war/let’s be Trump’s 51st state ticket, which is why they are taking pops at each other in public. I think Badenoch will prevail though as Suella is too toxic even for the bulk of Tory members post Brexit. Homeless as a lifestyle choice - Bad Enough’s camp will throw that back at her and understandably so. That was Suella’s Eggwina moment. 

59 minutes ago, Gloucester Saint said:

Tugendhat would be decent, can see him winning the MPs but not the loonies in the membership. His best chance is if Kemi and Braverman split the populist/American culture war/let’s be Trump’s 51st state ticket, which is why they are taking pops at each other in public. I think Badenoch will prevail though as Suella is too toxic even for the bulk of Tory members post Brexit. Homeless as a lifestyle choice - Bad Enough’s camp will throw that back at her and understandably so. That was Suella’s Eggwina moment. 

The average Tory member will not like to vote for a black woman as their leader. 

21 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

The average Tory member will not like to vote for a black woman as their leader. 

Recent research with their members suggests she has an advantage of 2:1 over Braverman and Tugendhat but that may not play out in practice of course https://www.qmul.ac.uk/media/news/2024/hss/survey-reveals-kemi-badenoch-as-the-top-choice-among-conservative-party-members-but-the-party-is-evenly-split-on-merging-with-nigel-farages-reform-uk.html and https://news.sky.com/story/kemi-badenoch-has-double-the-support-of-suella-braverman-among-members-to-be-next-tory-leader-poll-suggests-13175817

Half the members surveyed also seem keen on merging with Reform. Which is a problem for Badenoch as although she’s more likely to hoover up Tugendhat’s share if he stood back, she’s ruled it out where Braverman is openly advocating for it. No chance of putting any kind of elector and geographical coalition for an overall majority in the future if they did, as Reform are well to the right on economic policy. 

Edited by Gloucester Saint

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Course they fucking will. It’s the Labour Party that only elects white middle aged men. 

Remind us again, just how many black people have been selected to lead the Tory Party?

14 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Remind us again, just how many black people have been selected to lead the Tory Party?

They put a British Asian in charge - you can spaff a lot of insults at the Tory Party but they do seem to be quite inclusive. They don't see colour (unless that colour is green).

It's one of the reasons the Reform vote was so high - no way those fascists would vote for a "fucking p***". 

Edited by Farmer Saint

8 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

They put a British Asian in charge - you can spaff a lot of insults at the Tory Party but they do seem to be quite inclusive. They don't see colour (unless that colour is green).

It's one of the reasons the Reform vote was so high - no way those fascists would vote for a "fucking p***". 

The party membership didn’t put him there. I think the original point was the the Blue Rinse Brigade would never vote for a black person.

2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Course they fucking will. It’s the Labour Party that only elects white middle aged men. 

So why did the membership vote for batshit crazy Truss over the Hindu Sunak?? 

By the way. Has anyone told you? Swearing indiscriminately doesn't make you look big or clever you fucking idiot.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

The party membership didn’t put him there. I think the original point was the the Blue Rinse Brigade would never vote for a black person.

Fucking hell. There’s a lot to criticise the Tories for, but this isn’t one of them. Had Kemi or Bravamen been sent to the members last time out they’d  have won, no fucking bother. The problem with the process is the pinko parliamentary party try and gerrymander the process and they kept Kemi out of the final 2.

There’s only one major party that has only had white middle aged men as leaders & it’s not Tory, SNP or LD’s. 

3 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

So why did the membership vote for batshit crazy Truss over the Hindu Sunak?? 

By the way. Has anyone told you? Swearing indiscriminately doesn't make you look big or clever you fucking idiot.

Duckie loves to display his dyed in the wool Anglo-Saxon heritage! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

1 minute ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

It’s not the Tory members that automatically assume a non white MP is an immigrant. It’s a certain poster on here. 

What, you mean the non white Tory MP who was 2nd generation immigrant? Bless you Duckie, still desperate to land a punch? 
Getting back to your response, what as that to do with electing a black person as leader? Immigration wasn’t the issue, it was skin colour. 

50 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

You said she was an immigrant, nothing about “second generation”. Ask your fascist  dining companion, I’m sure he uses similar language 

You two would be well suited then.

As I explained at the time, my point was that you would hope that someone coming from an immigrant family herself would have some empathy for current immigrants. How you manage to turn that into a racist comment only you will know. But then given your support for “Nige”, a self confessed anti-Semite, and your attempts to label anyone who criticises the Israeli government and the IDF as anti-semites, you seem to be easily confused.

Anyway, good to see you on this thread after your negative emoji right at the beginning. Perhaps at some point you will make a contribution that doesn’t amount at a poor attempt at wummery and actually adds something to the discussion other than Anglo-Saxon invective?

2 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

You two would be well suited then.

As I explained at the time, my point was that you would hope that someone coming from an immigrant family herself would have some empathy for current immigrants. How you manage to turn that into a racist comment only you will know. But then given your support for “Nige”, a self confessed anti-Semite, and your attempts to label anyone who criticises the Israeli government and the IDF as anti-semites, you seem to be easily confused.

Anyway, good to see you on this thread after your negative emoji right at the beginning. Perhaps at some point you will make a contribution that doesn’t amount at a poor attempt at wummery and actually adds something to the discussion other than Anglo-Saxon invective?

You said she was an immigrant. 

20 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

You said she was an immigrant. 

I then corrected it to second generation immigrant. What difference does it make to my original point?

What is the problem with calling someone an immigrant if you think that they migrated here? What is the problem in calling someone an immigrant if their parent migrated here?

Are you trying to tell us that immigrants are bad?

Anyway, anything constructive to add to the subject of this thread?

13 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

I then corrected it to second generation immigrant

After people told you how appalling that you looked at the colour of her skin and assumed she was an immigrant.

25 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

After people told you how appalling that you looked at the colour of her skin and assumed she was an immigrant.

Just think about what you have said again. Her family came here as immigrants. The post was about her attitude towards immigrants. It had nothing to do with skin colour. Make your mind up. One minute you have a dig because you think I am woke, the next you are trying to make out I’m a racist. Why would a racist support players for taking the knee? And you wonder why people don’t take you seriously?

Anyway, once again, any thoughts about the subject of this thread?

• Like 1

I'm not a Conservative but if I was

> I would definitely be wanting to get in behind Penny Mourdant

> Failing that I can see the appeal of Victoria Atkins even though in many ways that's very wrong

> on second thoughts I'd go hands down Laura Trott

> but ultimately if I had to choose anyone in the shadow cabinet I'd think I'd come down on the side of Claire Coutinho

• 2 weeks later...

They voted themselves into poverty and into hospital corridors.

The way the last government neglected the old was a disgrace.

The new leader needs to be someone who wasn't involved in that shit show - you can't spout new ideas having sat around the table defending Boris/Truss/Rishi and pretending you were nothing to do with it.

Clean break from that horrendous past.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, rallyboy said:

The new leader needs to be someone who wasn't involved in that shit show - you can't spout new ideas having sat around the table defending Boris/Truss/Rishi and pretending you were nothing to do with it.

Clean break from that horrendous past.

This is true, but where is such a candidate going to come from? They have long since purged everyone with any kind of moral conscience from the party.

• Like 2

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c6p24l5254xo

Bbc report on the next Tory leadership hopefuls 🤣

They’re absolutely fucked if the list in that report is anything to by. Even Mel fucking Stride thinks it’s worth giving it a go, the feckless wankstain. Honest Bob Jenrick, Cruella, Priti the evil weeble, James not Cleverley and Bad Enoch already starting their engines. Tugenhat and the abominable Atkins also likely to get their elbows out. It’s just an embarrassing collection of utter shite.

Good for them they’ve got nearly 5 years to find someone at least slightly credible.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

This is true, but where is such a candidate going to come from? They have long since purged everyone with any kind of moral conscience from the party.

It will be that slimy weasel cunt Hunt

Braverman is sitting in on the James O’Brien show on LBC this morning. It sounds like she has already shot her bolt with the party and could be on her way to Reform.

The future is looking pretty grim for them at the moment and Farage must be licking his lips at the prospect of picking up the dregs of the party unless they can find someone to sort them out.