Season ticket holders get to choose new banner !

SaintsLoyal

43 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

I voted. I’m a Northam st holder. It’s gonna ruin my view unless they take it off before kick off though. 😄

Get you a Broja one if you want?

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Quick get me a bandage - my sides are splitting 

"All the fans" being pertinent. Not sure preferiential treatment of one stand is the correct move when season ticket holders aren't paying any extra for the privilege. Unless there's a banner for each stand, just let all the fans have a say. It's surely meant to represent all the fanbase.

46 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Can't we just get the Liebherr one back out from hiding? 

I loved seeing that make an appearance at the league cup final.

44 minutes ago, Colinjb said:

Didn't that go 'off?'

Where did you hear that?

D-8jh6yXUAUkcvc.jpg

Edited by Disco Stu

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Where did you hear that?

Vague memories from reading on here. Something like it was in storage at the stadium and had not been exactly looked after.

Glad to be wrong.

I have a vague recollection of a big banner being produced as part of the media project ahead of the move to St Marys.

This was arranged by Lee Peck Agencies who were the Saints PR Company at the time.

It was supposed to be the biggest banner produced at the time.

I wonder if it was the Markus banner mentioned in the posts above?

11 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

I have a vague recollection of a big banner being produced as part of the media project ahead of the move to St Marys.

This was arranged by Lee Peck Agencies who were the Saints PR Company at the time.

It was supposed to be the biggest banner produced at the time.

I wonder if it was the Markus banner mentioned in the posts above?

Lee Peck, that’s a name from the past. 

If it was made before the move to St Mary’s it certainly wouldn’t involve Markus as he came in about nine years after we moved there from recollection.

Didn't we set a record for the largest ever football shirt when we moved to St Mary's? (Not mine, I'm an XL) Sure I remember it being laid out on the pitch and it almost covering the centre circle. Can't find it on Google, perhaps the meds are kicking in...

6 minutes ago, 31cc said:

Didn't we set a record for the largest ever football shirt when we moved to St Mary's? (Not mine, I'm an XL) Sure I remember it being laid out on the pitch and it almost covering the centre circle. Can't find it on Google, perhaps the meds are kicking in...

Yes we did. I  helped take part in a photo shoot,  hanging it from the top of the Old Walls, between the swimming baths and what is now the cinema/restuarant part of West Quay, it pretty much reached the ground below. I think it was before the 2005 relegation game but not sure on that.  Can't find any pics either

11 minutes ago, 31cc said:

had forgotten that but think you’re right 

2 minutes ago, Colinjb said:

Pride of the South, with a better font, on the red sash background. 

Could look a bit naff...and short-lived if we have crash, burn and end up relegated this season...the last Est. 1885 one if I were choosing (but that font....). 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

Could look a bit naff...and short-lived if we have crash, burn and end up relegated this season...the last Est. 1885 one if I were choosing (but that font....). 

Surely something more imaginative than ‘Red Army’. Even Krueger gave us ‘We March On’.

I liked the line ‘Founded in faith’ or similar which the club presented at one point, marking our origins. 

Would prefer just ‘Saints’ Est 1885 rather than ‘red army’ .

Edited by Badger

Shame they can’t recreate the old monk/Saint cartoon character (with his walking staff) from the Echo many years ago, always thought that a great image the club could have adopted.

Have searched internet but unable to find an image, or name of cartoonist.  

Posted (edited)

The designs and font are horrendous and need simplifying. 

‘Pride Of The South’  in clear font and Saints badge works like other club banners. 

We don’t want this Ultra bobbins at our club and ALL fans should have a say, not just one stand.

Edited by SaintsLoyal
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Badger said:

Shame they can’t recreate the old monk/Saint cartoon character (with his walking staff) from the Echo many years ago, always thought that a great image the club could have adopted.

Do you mean the Dell supporters club badge

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125731520854?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=qINKDtVyTj6&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=Yp7cW0QVQVC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Badger said:

Oz, from memory, which can be a bit random.  (Edit: Don Osman)

Edited by suewhistle

3 hours ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Yes,I think that was based on the cartoon image.

(Christ, think I’ve got one of those badges somewhere, cost about 50p in the 1970’s - now someone wants £28 for one!!) 

10 hours ago, Badger said:

Yes,I think that was based on the cartoon image.

(Christ, think I’ve got one of those badges somewhere, cost about 50p in the 1970’s - now someone wants £28 for one!!) 

Yep same as. 

Those flags are fucking awful, they look like they've been "designed" by a kid who's experience of football is playing FIFA on the computer and not someone that's ever been to games.

Also why would we have a flag that uses the words to a song the skates have used for years (pompey till i die).

• Like 1

I take a look but don’t post on the UI but franniesTache has come up with an excellent shout on there for the banner. A city skyline (could add the proposed Spitfire monument and stadium silhouette for good measure) along with just ‘Southampton FC’ would do nicely imo.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/forum/310385/oh-dear-northam-stand-getting-an-ultra-crowd-banner/#13

3 hours ago, franniesTache said:

Those flags are fucking awful, they look like they've been "designed" by a kid who's experience of football is playing FIFA on the computer and not someone that's ever been to games.

Also why would we have a flag that uses the words to a song the skates have used for years (pompey till i die).

i suspect it's because they are.

Some jumped up little marketing graduate in their first real job and thinks they're the dogs bollocks

39 minutes ago, Turkish said:

i suspect it's because they are.

Some jumped up little marketing graduate in their first real job and thinks they're the dogs bollocks

Said this on the ugly, 

Generally speaking in design less is more, personally i'd drop off a lot of the crap wording and go with something incredibly simplistic. It's always a good rule that if you've got words on a flag or banner remove them, because nearly every single time that's what's making it look shit (and the more you add the worse it looks)

A line drawing of the cities major landmarks would be so much better than most of this stuff, or something similar to this,

spacer.png

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

I take a look but don’t post on the UI but franniesTache has come up with an excellent shout on there for the banner. A city skyline (could add the proposed Spitfire monument and stadium silhouette for good measure) along with just ‘Southampton FC’ would do nicely imo.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/forum/310385/oh-dear-northam-stand-getting-an-ultra-crowd-banner/#13

5 minutes ago, franniesTache said:

Said this on the ugly, 

Generally speaking in design less is more, personally i'd drop off a lot of the crap wording and go with something incredibly simplistic. It's always a good rule that if you've got words on a flag or banner remove them, because nearly every single time that's what's making it look shit (and the more you add the worse it looks)

A line drawing of the cities major landmarks would be so much better than most of this stuff, or something similar to this,

spacer.png

That's good but I'd like to see more landmarks mate that are inclusive of our catchment area, maybe add Stonehenge, Winchester cathedral and Chiveley services? 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, JRM said:

That's good but I'd like to see more landmarks mate that are inclusive of our catchment area, maybe add Stonehenge, Winchester cathedral and Chiveley services? 

Agreed. Anglesey Island, The Eden Project, Lands End, Warwick Castle to name but a few.

7 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Agreed. Anglesey Island, The Eden Project, Lands End, Warwick Castle to name but a few.

A shoal of fish to represent our catchment in the solent? And a tracksuit and tinny to represent basingrad? Maybe a bus replacement service or two?

If you really do want to go typographic then why not spell out southampton using the names of the places of the city? Hinkler, Thornhill, Millbrook, Swaythling, Portswood, Flower roads etc. 

To be honest though i think what has the most impact is stuff that references the city itself, keep us grounded in what Southampton football club is about, the city of Southampton, instead of some marketing slogan or something close to a banner with tourettes who's suddenly seen a stand in the ground. 

1 hour ago, franniesTache said:

Said this on the ugly, 

spacer.png

There's a few of these, this one also caters for the, ahem, rainbow Saints..........no Chievley services though

spacer.png

5 hours ago, franniesTache said:

Because we sing Southampton til I die, it's not just a Pompey song.

On 07/07/2024 at 00:07, Disco Stu said:

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/24433988.southampton-invited-vote-design-northam-crowd-banner/?ref=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Have to say none of the designs are particularly brilliant but "Pride of the South" edges it for me. Horrible font though.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

They are all completely over designed to echo what Franniestache was saying.  For me, I'd go with the bottom one, but with 'Southampton' at the top and '1885' on its own underneath the crests.  Much more simple.  I mean if you want to add another layer, change the crests to red and have the middle lane as a white stripe. And cut out the silly fonts ...