Three random memories of 2023/24

Like many I suspect, I've been wallowing in the afterglow from the Play-off final - and must have watched every single video (from both sides) over the last 10 days.  What a result!  Anyway, in order to prolong the feeling before worrying too much about what August will bring, I thought I'd put up 3 random memories from last season, in the hope that others will do likewise.  That way my memory will be jogged on what proved to be a real rollercoaster of a season.  So here goes:

• Sheffield Wednesday (away) - watching on from a bar in Cyprus, seeing a new style of football implemented in less than 6 weeks - and particularly those magical last 9 minutes of 99.9% possession.
  • Transfer deadline day: with all the wondering about who might still depart, up pops Taylor Harwood Bellis on loan.  I knew only a little about him following his success with Burnley and England U-21s last summer - but what a loan signing he proved to be. 
  • Stu's slide rule pass for the second goal against Ipswich.  NASA scientists with laser range finders and a couple of spare hours could not have worked out all the variables, programmed the computer and achieved a better result than Stu; who was running at full pace while being chased by angry men in blue shirts.  We'll miss him.

• Like 4

1) Gavin's goal at Preston. Given as an own goal but we know better. 

2) Rothwell's screamer against Huddersfield (and KWP's reaction to it). Not just  great shot but the timing of the goal so early in the second-half got us back in the game and put us on the front foot.

3) The arrival of the team bus at St Mary's ahead of the play-off semi-final

• Like 4

1. Flynn Downes 99th minute goal at home to Watford, lovely hand-eye coordination, followed by limbs everywhere. 

2. Fraser last min winner at Hull, followed by limbs everywhere.

3. Fraser last minute winner at Millwall, followed by limbs everywhere.

Limbs szn 😇

• Like 1

Sheff Weds away 1st game of the season, we were the south coast barcelona.

Leeds game at home, first win after 4 straight losses, started on fire and didnt stop.

How much of a balanced nice guy Martin is in this world of immediate reactions, its nice to see someone be considered and thoughtful and give the players the lift they needed for this season.

• Like 2

1 - Downes winner v Watford. Won't get much more dramatic than that, I thought that would have given us the boost to get top 2. You never forget the feeling of last min winners like that.

2 - The first half away v Swansea. Honestly it was majestic, going in 6-0 up wouldn't have been unjust.

3 - Edozies 5th goal against Huddersfield, we knew we'd wrapped it up then after one of the most topsy Turvey games of the season.

First half of the playoff final 

Second half of the playoff final

Post Match euphoria after the playoff final 

I’ve been waiting Saints for a very long time, this had to be up there with the very best experience ever.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Watching us becoming the new Barcelona v Sheffield Wednesday on the first friday night of the season. 

Finally getting to see a game in person, only for it to be the home game v Millwall. (Huddersfield was my second choice.... Well done.) 

That one game attended allowing me to be there for the euphoria at Wembley 

Edited by Colinjb

On 05/06/2024 at 21:42, SaintNewForest said:

Gillingham away and seeing a Perraud/Lyanco centre back pairing 

What a night. 

Painful that night. Watching Tall Paul running about with no hope of being able to get a touch, being completely bossed by bloody Gillingham. My Liverpool supporting mate was down for the evening to watch and gave me heaps!