The Euro 2024 Thread

AlexLaw76

It's not a surprise and I'm glad he fell on his own sword after a final rather than being absolutley vilified had we come home after that Slovakia game. It feels the most dignified end, although the routes to the finals have been somewhat paved in gold, he has provided generations of England fans experiences they could have only dreamed of in years gone by.

I can't see the FA going for a manager employed at a club, it's not how they work. They will focus on options that are currently out of work or already within the FA Setup.

For me that creates an immediate shortlist of Potter, Carsley, Poch. My hunch is that Carsley will be put in 'temp' charge for the nations league games in Sept and will probably get the job if we do well in that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Southgate is a bang average manager. Nothing more. 

if he is as good as some say, I wonder which elite club will take him on next.

I’m not saying he’s a great manager. Clearly he has his limitations. I agree that he’s taken us as far as he can (I actually would have pulled the trigger after the World Cup personally)

But he has done extremely well and given us a team to be proud of which is more than most other England managers in my life time. He clearly loves the country and the job and has changed things for the better. 

Now definitely feels like the right time for a change, but I will always be grateful to him and sad that he didn’t achieve the final goal of silverware. 

41 minutes ago, The Left Back said:

in the 50 years after winning the World Cup before Southgate we won 6 knockout games in major tournaments.  Southgate won 9 in 8 years

Would be interesting (perhaps) to see a list of the teams we went out to in the knockout stages during that 50 year period alongside a list of the teams we went through against during Southgate's 8 years...

Edited by trousers

11 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

Spot on. The point at which all of the energy and lift the equaliser gave us disappeared.

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/jul/15/turning-point-england-kyle-walker-throw-in-euro-2024-final-spain

Gary Lineker summed it up perfectly. Spain’s win was a triumph for attacking football over negative, defensive football.

I like that analysis. Says so much about the modern game inEngland.

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

Kind of telling that one of the tournament finalists only has one player in the team of the tournament and it’s a bit of a mystery how even he got in there.

It also shows what a poor tournament strikers had overall as they've slotted Musiala in instead (whose place is warranted but there is a glaring lack of an actual striker there). 

3 hours ago, The Kraken said:

Kind of telling that one of the tournament finalists only has one player in the team of the tournament and it’s a bit of a mystery how even he got in there.

Still Phil Foden came back with more kids than goal involvements.