The Euro 2024 Thread

AlexLaw76

Just now, CB Fry said:

60 years of hurt.

Sixty.

Yep, but if we had won that it would've been an injustice to the game, they were way too good for us. 

• Like 4

Just now, The Kraken said:

IMG-0131.jpg

Yin and yang having a shocker today.

Typo we were fucking brilliant and absolutely robbed. Second goal offside header at the end definitely over the line 

• Haha 7

Just now, Sunglasses Ron said:

Bollocks.

I’ve always said supporting England is like supporting Saints. We get close every now and again but generally always fall short when the chance arises.

At least we had success by our standards recently.

Saints have had far more bottle than England. Promotion in 2011 and 2012, the JPT, Anfield in 2017, Swansea away in 2018, the 2024 playoffs. We’re not perfect by a long way but there have been many times when we’ve held our nerve and got the job done.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, adrian lord said:

Always the bridesmaids. 

Actually most of my life we've got nowhere near the final. It's great to see these days. Though I'm trying to work out if it's more painful to go all the way and lose than go out poorly to Iceland etc.

Edited by BotleySaint

20 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

We seem to have retreated again since the goal.

15 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Offered not much since the goal. Inviting Spain on is very risky in the positions they are getting. No hint of a real counter in a while.

This is the biggest disappointment. Having got back into it, we seemed to sit back and let Spain regroup. 

4 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Bollocks.

I’ve always said supporting England is like supporting Saints. We get close every now and again but generally always fall short when the chance arises.

At least we had success by our standards recently.

Always said the same that England are the international version of Saints.

• Sad 1

For their winning goal, look how far forward their fullbacks were. We even saw Rodri go off at HT.

as for Kane, we played an hour with 10 men. He has been terrible the entire tournament 

Southgate has to walk…his in game management is consistently poor, masked by another very favourable draw 

• Like 1

Just now, Badger said:

For who to take over ? 

🤣

I’m reasonably confident the FA will find an able candidate.

And I don’t think it will be any surprise at all if Southgate walks away.

We're almost certainly the Spurs of the international game, that's a pretty depressing place to be.

I thought Spain were levels above us, I don't think they should be, but they were - like PL against Championship for most of that game. We had the players to scare them and to make them sweat, but they had an easy game really. We just went into a low block, sunk deep and just played an old school 4-4-2, long balls game. Football has moved on, it really has - It's nothing bar luck that we've got this far, the way we play almost certainly has to change.

Pickford made some great saves, but he's part of the problem with his distribution. You cannot keep playing aimless log balls and hitting it long against passing teams, because it makes it so easy for them to win it back...and when they have it back, we're just chasing shadows. 

We have some fantastic technical players with the ball at their feet, just as technical as most of those Spanish players, but if we stand off and play so deep it's almost impossible for them to get into the game - and when the ball is in the air, they've got no chance. 

Southgate has given us some fun moments in recent years for sure, but for me it will always be a case of what could have been. The last Euro's was the one for me, that was a pretty average Italian team - but we did the same against them, just sat back and waited for the ineveitable.

There's a lot to build from for a new manager in the creative/attacking third, we need someone who can just let them off their leach a bit and remove that dinosaur football approach out of their heads. For players like Foden, Bellingham, Saka, Rice etc it's foreign to them - they play pass, move, quick football with their clubs - so they can do it, but we just don't provide the structure for that.

Onto the next one I guess, congrats to Spain - 7 out of 7, cannot argue with that. Be interesting to see who our next manager is going to be.

• Like 5

The best team at the tournament fittingly won.

Southgate's pragmatic, tournament focused approach gives a foundation to progress far into tournaments, which is to his credit.

But it relies on areas that are not the strongest parts of his selections games.

That's combined with players not playing either in their preferred roles, or with the fluidity they have at club football.

The result was a bit disjointed, poor in transition, relying in compactness and individual brilliance.

People will look to that talent, and wonder if a front footed team would have done more. Others will look at the lack of midfield options and wonder if that would have meant getting over ran and dumped out earlier.

A few Southgate comments made me think he would move on. It's been a tough tournament, and he can look back proudly at his record. He's got another final, and was minutes away from extra time. The FA will certainly want him to stay.

1 minute ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Southgate's pragmatic, tournament focused approach gives a foundation to progress far into tournaments, which is to his credit.

But it relies on areas that are not the strongest parts of his selections games.

That's combined with players not playing either in their preferred roles, or with the fluidity they have at club football.

The result was a bit disjointed, poor in transition, relying in compactness and individual brilliance.

People will look to that talent, and wonder if a front footed team would have done more. Others will look at the lack of midfield options and wonder if that would have meant getting over ran and dumped out earlier.

A few Southgate comments made me think he would move on. It's been a tough tournament, and he can look back proudly at his record. He's got another final, and was minutes away from extra time. The FA will certainly want him to stay.

I'd argue that the foundation to our progress in recent years have been the draws and the teams we've played.

When we got a toughie in the quarters at the World Cup (France), we came un stuck. 

I find it hard to say it's because of Southgate we've got to finals etc, it's ultimately been the draws and the teams we've played.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

If he stays England will never go that one step further. Reactive managers never win. The space on the wings were glaringly obvious.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Gareth has done well to get to two finals but it is time for him to stand down now.

Nothing new. The problem isn’t simply Southgate, there’s something fundamentally wrong with our football if you consider what other footballing nations (that we like to compare ourselves with) have achieved in the last 50 years.

There don’t seem too many stand out candidates for the national team job 

Just now, the colonel said:

Must be the end of Kane internationally. Still don't see him as the player everyone raves about. He still hasn't won anything. 

I mean, you can surely see why people rave about him? Just look at his scoring records, he's prolific. Not really his fault in the club game that he's not won anything, although you do wonder if he's a bit of a jinx!

But you've got to credit his scoring record, England's greatest ever goal scorer - defo worth raving about in that sense. But it can't last forever.

4 minutes ago, Badger said:

For who to take over ? 

Someone who plays on the front foot and isn’t risk averse.

Spain looked wobbly when we put them under pressure. How often did we do that? That is down to his tactics.

• Like 1

Moving forward under a new manager there needs to be some changes 

Kane has been poor in the last 3 tournaments he offers nothing slows everything down no outlet no movement. Even Morata who was poor in the premier league looked a class above Kane tonight. Forget the past we need to move forward with Watkins or Roney. Cole Palmer also has to start such a classy player who made a massive difference 

The movement of Spain was levels above us we’ve got the players who do it week in week out in the premier league. Need ti find a manager who can get them to gel. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, the colonel said:

Must be the end of Kane internationally. Still don't see him as the player everyone raves about. He still hasn't won anything. 

Great player in league games but he simply never turns up when it matters. Our worst player this tournament.

Edited by Disco Stu

1 minute ago, the colonel said:

Of course it won’t be. He was the top scorer in the bundesliga with a goal a game, top scorer by 8 goals. He’ll be 31 when next season kicks off, not old at all.

He’s had a poor tournament no doubt, but the end? No chance.

Just now, Turkish said:

The movement of Spain was levels above us we’ve got the players who do it week in week out in the premier league. Need ti find a manager who can get them to gel. 

That's the key bit for me - Bellingham, Foden, Palmer, Saka - so technical, they can do things with the football that English players have never really been able to do. Easily a match for any player in that sense.

But if we don't play to their strengths and hit balls over the heads, then it's all pretty much null and void really. Like you say, we've got to find a manager and coaching staff who can embrace our attacking players and unlock that pass/move which they can do. This old school hit it long, 4-4-2, low block bollocks is done - it was done 10 years ago with Mourinho tbf.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I'd argue that the foundation to our progress in recent years have been the draws and the teams we've played.

When we got a toughie in the quarters at the World Cup (France), we came un stuck. 

I find it hard to say it's because of Southgate we've got to finals etc, it's ultimately been the draws and the teams we've played.

Spain beat Italy, France and Germany on the way to the final.

There's no way Southgate's England would have been anywhere near the final if they had to get through all three of them. Last minute goal against Slovakia FFS.

Just now, CB Fry said:

There's no way Southgate's England would have been anywhere near the final if they had to get through all three of them. Last minute goal against Slovakia FFS.

Well, exactly. Why we are in the final is ALL about the draw, nothing else.

The right team won, they fully deserved it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Someone who plays on the front foot and isn’t risk averse.

Spain looked wobbly when we put them under pressure. How often did we do that? That is down to his tactics.

A name ?

Dont disagree with your second paragraph. I thought at HT Spain were there for the taking. 

Trouble is the international team job isn’t a particularly popular role with all the grief that goes with it 

2 minutes ago, Badger said:

Nothing new. The problem isn’t simply Southgate, there’s something fundamentally wrong with our football if you consider what other footballing nations (that we like to compare ourselves with) have achieved in the last 50 years.

Damn right.

All our European contemporaries (France, Germany, Italy, Spain) have all won multiple tournaments in the last 30 years whereas we’ve won fuck all. It’s fucking depressing how far off the mark we were tonight.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Well, exactly. Why we are in the final is ALL about the draw, nothing else.

The right team won, they fully deserved it.

Some of the commentators on various radio shows and podcasts have been stating we should “take it all back” about the “amazing” Southgate.

England are at the start of an era where players available won the lot at multiple youth levels.

with the right manager, we could win something…. Just like Spain and Germany in years gone. 

Southgate is terrible, but hey a nice bloke, so….

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

We just can't win when we face genuine quality. Lucky with the draw two Euros in a row now but couldn't make it count.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

🤣

I’m reasonably confident the FA will find an able candidate.

And I don’t think it will be any surprise at all if Southgate walks away.

If you look at their track record of appointments I don’t share the confidence that a new managerial appointment will transform us. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Yeah this. Southgate has got an incredible record as England manager but you can’t argue that in every tournament we’ve got a massively favourable draw.

Sometimes you make your own luck by being solid in qualifiers and group stages. Credit to him for that, absolutely.

But, pretty much under Southgate’s tenure, we’ve had a good run but gone out when we finally meet a top tier side.

• Like 3

Spain were a level above us and deserved the victory. It never felt as though we could beat them. Makes it easier to accept. We just can't seem to produce a national side that plays free flowing football so it's always a struggle.

1 minute ago, Badger said:

If you look at their track record of appointments I don’t share the confidence that a new managerial appointment will transform us. 

I don’t think we need transforming. We are a very solid side that you can almost bank on getting out of the group stages. Gareth Southgate has done well at that but it’s hardly above expectations for a competent manager.

And the FA is very rich so can afford to shop around for a top quality candidate.