The Euro 2024 Thread

AlexLaw76

Saka down the wing, catches Kane in a rare moment of not dropping deep, ball into the middle, Kane attacks it. Header. 1-0!

England get enough space to cause more problems. Spain going all in late on, causing nervy moments. But Southgate's tactics pay off! Hero of a grateful nation!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

Unfortunately i can only see one winner. Spain have been the best side in this tournament without a shadow of doubt and totally deserve their place in the final.

England have played some good football in patches but overall it's been like pulling teeth watching England play and so frustrating given the quality we possess in the side.

For 45 minutes we were excellent against the Dutch and then the second half we just got deeper and deeper. If we do that against Spain we will lose.

England play like a team burdened by the failures of every England team since 1966, whereas Spain play with a free flowing confidence of a side that believes every time they walk out onto the pitch they will win.

Like every other England fan i am desperate to see them win a major tournament but to do that they must not let Spain get into that comfortable mode and pulling England all over the place.

I really hope it is Englands turn to win tonight, their supporters deserve to see that happen.

The Dutch changed it at half time because we were all over them. They put in a low block and hoped to hit us on the break or score from a set piece. Not saying England have been perfect but we've grown into the tournament and were worthy winners against the Netherlands. We have a good chance today but will need to bring our A game, take any chances that come our way and hope for a little luck. This is not one of the great Spanish sides yet although they may evolve into one.

17 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

If Kane continues as he is, I hope Southgate makes the required change much earlier.

Takes a brave man to take him off at all with penalties a possibility. I suspect he's more likely to put Watkins on with him this time round. 

6 hours ago, East Kent Saint said:

I'm suspecting we will get stuffed unless we get a Kane replacement on early enough to get on the end of of Saha's crosses 😄

I’m also concerned about Trippier who gives us nothing on the left. I expect he will start again and can only assume that is because they don’t think that Luke Shaw has 90mins in him.

Edited by sadoldgit

Been blessed with a lot of luck and scraped our way here, guess we could spawn our way to win as well.

I reckon our luck will run out tonight and if Spain play how they can we will need a helluva lot of it

Edited by tdmickey3
  • Like 1

I really don't know how to call this. Of course my heart says England win, but it will be far from easy.

Spain have looked good, but I wouldn't include their current team in the Euro hall of greats. They have some decent players, but they also lack experience in certain areas and are not invulnerable against a decent attacking team. They had to come from behind to beat France in the SF who, let's face it, were pretty poor (although exactly the same could be said about our semi against the Netherlands).

I keep thinking back to the final 3 years ago against Italy, when a mostly young and inexperienced England side didn't have the wherewithal to overcome a wily Italian team who were very adept in the dark arts of football. This team has grown since then, and has shown some character to dig deep when necessary in the knockout stages. 

But I can't bring myself to make a prediction. I wasn't even born in 1966, so all I've ever known with England is disappointment, and that lifetime of experience has taught me to know better than to allow myself to be hopeful we might actually win.

• Like 3

We will probably get stuffed but do have a puncher’s chance with the talent we have up front. Spain have been by far the best team throughout but if I remember rightly they did let France have a few chances so hopefully…

11 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I really don't know how to call this. Of course my heart says England win, but it will be far from easy.

Spain have looked good, but I wouldn't include their current team in the Euro hall of greats. They have some decent players, but they also lack experience in certain areas and are not invulnerable against a decent attacking team. They had to come from behind to beat France in the SF who, let's face it, were pretty poor (although exactly the same could be said about our semi against the Netherlands).

I keep thinking back to the final 3 years ago against Italy, when a mostly young and inexperienced England side didn't have the wherewithal to overcome a wily Italian team who were very adept in the dark arts of football. This team has grown since then, and has shown some character to dig deep when necessary in the knockout stages. 

But I can't bring myself to make a prediction. I wasn't even born in 1966, so all I've ever known with England is disappointment, and that lifetime of experience has taught me to know better than to allow myself to be hopeful we might actually win.

Agree with all this.

49 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

My dream scenario would be for  Kane to get a late winner today. Deserves it after all the slander he gets. 

Warranted criticism for his tournament performances is now classed as slander ?, we all want him to score or set someone up but when he's not doing the runs the team needs and starts playing as a 8 instead of the striker we need who are saka and foden et al meant to pass to in the box.

• Like 1

Stuck at work again for this match - treating my staff to pizza to keep them happy. 

Head says Spain will win this as the most deserving team through the tournament in terms of performance, but I just think England have been getting better as the tournament has gone on with the semi being our best performance and so my heart says a historic England win.

We CAN win... now we have to prove it. 

Edited by SNSUN

I'm keeping tonight in perspective.  Yes, could be a great night for England but for us Saint's fans will it ever match our day at Wembley for the play off final.  Don't think so!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, adrian lord said:

Kane has stunk the tournament out. 

I suppose a silver lining regarding the yellow card is it might prompt Southgate take him off sooner. 

He is a complete non event in open play. 

1 minute ago, BotleySaint said:

Foden back to his anonymous best.

He's had no service. And when he gets it he's got Kane ahead of him who's about as mobile as a post box. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, vectraman said:

Saka, ffs take on the left back, you’ll beat him 😱

They’re cutting inside every time and being crowded out, get down the line Walker overlapping and stretch them FFS

England compact, with Kane dropping well back to support. Mainoo doing a lot more covering too. Spain with what seemed like most of the attacking possession. But England's came into it more towards the end of the half. Shaw doing well, giving the team that balance. Bellingham working hard to counter down that side too. Neither keeper troubled really.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

HT

Kane has to come off. Fucking atrocious 

Southgate won't take him off unless we go behind. With a mobile centre forward we would be far more effective but once again Kane showing that he's either unfit or just not up to it at this level. I think we can win this because we are handling Spain pretty well but the lack of a focal point up front may cost us. Southgate's time to be brave.

1 minute ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

England compact, with Kane dropping well back to support. Mainoo doing a lot more covering too. Spain with what seemed like most of the attacking possession. But England's came into it more towards the end of the half. Shaw doing well, giving the team that balance. Bellingham working hard to counter down that side too. Neither keeper troubled really.

Agree with that, although Kane's dropping in is good, but he's not offering an option when we're in possession. That's killing us.