The Euro 2024 Thread

AlexLaw76

12 hours ago, saintant said:

Thought he was quite even handed to be honest. The big call was of course the penalty and that was a VAR advice to look at the screen and we all know what happens with those.

The most shocking part about that penalty was that they sent it to the ref to review. Even with a strong England bias, you could at most argue for a soft and marginal penalty. I thought these weren't supposed to go to review unless it was a clear error?

If this sets the standard for today's refereeing, we'd be seeing 10 penalties a game.

• Like 2

To me he was attempting to block the shoot and it was Kane’s follow through led to the contact. If that had been awarded against us we would be seething.

Anyway, we have navigated our way to another final. We have had the easier route but the journey has been mostly tortuous. Fair play to Southgate for his achievement despite his inexplicable team selections and tactics. We will never know if we would have won the previous competitions with a less risk averse coach, but if he manages to beat Spain all will be forgotten and the bloke will be a national hero.

• Like 3

I think anyone claiming it's a penalty needs to think how they would feel if it was given against England.  In regular play it would seem very soft but the fact VAR overturned it was nuts...

Still, very glad it was given!  As others have said, a little payback for Koeman in 93.  Shame Taylor wasn't here to tell us that he did like that!

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

To me he was attempting to block the shoot and it was Kane’s follow through led to the contact. If that had been awarded against us we would be seething.

That was how I saw it.  The defender did not kick the attacker; in fact he did not seem to try to kick the ball.  He surely tried to block the shot and Kane kicked him in the follow-through.  Another fuck-up by VAR and the ref wrongly thought he should award a penalty.

26 minutes ago, SaintsBarry74 said:

The most shocking part about that penalty was that they sent it to the ref to review. Even with a strong England bias, you could at most argue for a soft and marginal penalty. I thought these weren't supposed to go to review unless it was a clear error?

If this sets the standard for today's refereeing, we'd be seeing 10 penalties a game.

Literally saw 1 penalty in this game. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

First euro final in 55 years?

Does the one against Italy 3 years ago not count then?

First Euro finals in 55 years means that one, now we have this one. Two different ones, get it?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

Koeman and Dumfries both gracious in defeat, despite the penalty.

VVD on the other hand not so much. Pickford 😂

download (1).jpeg

Probably pissed as last chance at international honours, isn't he 33 now?

13 hours ago, striker said:

Have to give Southgate his due now, no more disputing his accomplishments. First Euro final in 55 years, first Euro final on foreign soil, potential Euro championship on Sunday. Will go down as one the greatest national team managers.

We won the Euros in 2022, remember.

42 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

Koeman and Dumfries both gracious in defeat, despite the penalty.

VVD on the other hand not so much. Pickford 😂

download (1).jpeg

Van dick not happy ? Good ,that makes the result even more sweeter . 

• Like 2

Personally I thought that was a penalty all day long. Dumfries went in high, studs up and late, was nowhere near the ball and took Kane's foot. I thought the commentators were irrational and wrong. We have been crying out for years about passive VAR operators that ignore incidents that should have been reviewed on the excuse it doesn't constitute a clear and obvious error. 

Clearly the VAR spotted the foul. It would probably have been given anywhere else on the pitch. The key for me is when the referee reviewed the video he didn't take long to change his view on the evidence and gave the penalty. That alone was enough in my view to justify the VAR intervention. The referee was wrong to let it go and gave it on the video evidence.

The referee's actions just confirmed that it was a clear and obvious error because he missed it live, VAR spotted it and the referee gave it on the clear evidence rightly changing his original decision. Objectivity wins over emotion.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, derry said:

The key for me is when the referee reviewed the video he didn't take long to change his view on the evidence and gave the penalty. That alone was enough in my view to justify the VAR intervention. The referee was wrong to let it go and gave it on the video evidence.

The referee's actions just confirmed that it was a clear and obvious error because he missed it live, VAR spotted it and the referee gave it on the clear evidence rightly changing his original decision. Objectivity wins over emotion.

Have you ever seen a referee stick to his original decision after being asked to review on the pitch side monitor?  I certainly never have

13 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

Have you ever seen a referee stick to his original decision after being asked to review on the pitch side monitor?  I certainly never have

Maybe that's why he was reviewing it. VAR is only pointing out mistakes by the referee. Once the video is reviewed the referee really has no choice but to admit the mistake and change the decision. The referee clearly has the option to make no change however he better be right. 

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

image.thumb.png.d79e3f84afda80b52dc92d2e17c0e8e9.png

England U19 Euro winners 1948, 1963, 1964, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1980, 1993, 2017, 2022

England U20 World Cup winners 2017

England U17 World Cup winners 2017, Euro winners 2014

1 hour ago, angelman said:

England U19 Euro winners 1948, 1963, 1964, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1980, 1993, 2017, 2022

England U20 World Cup winners 2017

England U17 World Cup winners 2017, Euro winners 2014

England U21 Champs in the 2023 U21 Euros too.....won the final against Spain.

Feels somewhat full circle. Cole Palmer and Antony Gordon were part of that winning team. Some of the current Spain squad were in their U21 team too.

2 hours ago, Barsiem said:

I've seen it a couple of times but very rarely.  I think it's done as a way of letting the onfield referee save face. They pretend that it's his decision and not the VAR.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Not the euros but Darwin Nunez backing off the whole Columba end. Fair play he could get in the DEF if he carries on like this 

Braveheart mentality right there. Get him on the bus.

Just spotted a post on FB that reads....." A mate of mine bought a ticket for Sundays final many months ago. The cost plus flight was £365. He has now just realised that Sunday is the date of his wedding, so he was wondering if anyone wants to take his place. He added that she's 5ft 5 and quite attractive " :)

• Haha 7

Interestingly  not mentioned by those criticising the referee's decision, not only did he change the decision and gave a penalty, he then booked Dumfries. To me that scales up his decision from one of indecision to certainty it was a foul.

• Like 1

On 11/07/2024 at 10:02, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

It will be a bit lively out in the Costas on Sunday, no doubt the sweaties (in particular) will be bulk buying cheap knock-off Spanish shirts for the big day.

Fingers crossed for sore heads for all the right reasons 🍻

The drive thru's should be fine though, shouldn't they?

Spain will bottle it just like their Armada 436 years ago. They had the chance to annihilate much of our fleet at Plymouth but spurned the chance. They'll spurn the chance to beat us tomorrow, too.

Edited by sfc4prem
Crap at mathematics

53 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

Spain will bottle it just like their Armada 436 years ago. They had the chance to annihilate much of our fleet at Plymouth but spurned the chance. They'll spurn the chance to beat us tomorrow, too.

THERE WERE TEN SPANISH SAILORS IN THE SEA

TEN SPANISH SAILORS IN THE SEA

THERE WERE TEN SPANISH SAILORS 

TEN SPANISH SAILORS 

TEN SPANISH SAILORS IN THE SEA

Edited by CB Fry

On 11/07/2024 at 16:18, derry said:

Personally I thought that was a penalty all day long. Dumfries went in high, studs up and late, was nowhere near the ball and took Kane's foot. I thought the commentators were irrational and wrong. We have been crying out for years about passive VAR operators that ignore incidents that should have been reviewed on the excuse it doesn't constitute a clear and obvious error. 

Clearly the VAR spotted the foul. It would probably have been given anywhere else on the pitch. The key for me is when the referee reviewed the video he didn't take long to change his view on the evidence and gave the penalty. That alone was enough in my view to justify the VAR intervention. The referee was wrong to let it go and gave it on the video evidence.

As you say Dumfries went in high, studs up and late, was nowhere near the ball pretty reckless

• Like 2

Spain have been the best in the tournament but England have some good finishers and that gives them a puncher's chance.

I predict England will score and then Southgate will revert to the tried and tested 9-0-1 formation.

11 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Jude Bellingham is 55 days younger than Alan Ball was when he was part of England's World Cup winning team in 1966.

At least we won’t now have a 16yo Spanish kid playing against us on Sunday

Watching the '66 WC final, "In colour", on C4. No rolling round after being tackled as if they have been shot, no asking the ref to book an opponent after every challenge, no mobbing the ref because they don't like the decisions, no stealing 10 yards at throw-ins, and linesmen who are allowed to raise their flags immediately there is an offside..

Just proper football.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Watching the '66 WC final, "In colour", on C4. No rolling round after being tackled as if they have been shot, no asking the ref to book an opponent after every challenge, no mobbing the ref because they don't like the decisions, no stealing 10 yards at throw-ins, and linesmen who are allowed to raise their flags immediately there is an offside..

Just proper football.

No advertising anywhere either ! Apart from Radio Times in the scoreboard , Simpler times !

Edited by johnnyboy
Just noticed it doh 😣
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, sfc4prem said:

He’s coming for you,he’s coming for you, you paella eating bastards , Sir Francis Drake is coming for you … 

19 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Just proper football.

No subs then either, so no tweaking the shape bollocks to interrupt the match 

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

Jude Bellingham is 55 days younger than Alan Ball was when he was part of England's World Cup winning team in 1966.

Alan Ball played for the Saints and helped us to get promotion to Div 1 and eventually became manager I doubt Bellingham will do that

3 hours ago, John B said:

Alan Ball played for the Saints and helped us to get promotion to Div 1 and eventually became manager I doubt Bellingham will do that

And talking of Saints. there's a comparison here with us in the play off final. One team thought they would walk it - and they didn't it. 0-1 to England

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

And talking of Saints. there's a comparison here with us in the play off final. One team thought they would walk it - and they didn't it. 0-1 to England

Not only the play off final but also in the FA Cup Final of 1976 where Man U were beaten 1 0

The newspapers were not expecting us to win either including the Salvation Army and its Warcry paper which was sold in many London Pubs on friday nights their article said the Red Devils were going to win on May 1 but in real life Saints were always going to win over the devils in the eyes of the Lord.

A chance to gain revenge for the birds losing in the World Cup final last year too. 

given our history with the armada, 1996 penalty win and general superiority over them we should be confident of victory. I mean have you ever met a Spaniard you wouldn’t be confident you could beat in a fight?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

This is our year. Winning this will have plenty for the highlight reel.

Bellingham's header, Boos, beer thrown at Southgate, Overhead kick, penalty shoot out win, last min winner....

Unfortunately i can only see one winner. Spain have been the best side in this tournament without a shadow of doubt and totally deserve their place in the final.

England have played some good football in patches but overall it's been like pulling teeth watching England play and so frustrating given the quality we possess in the side.

For 45 minutes we were excellent against the Dutch and then the second half we just got deeper and deeper. If we do that against Spain we will lose.

England play like a team burdened by the failures of every England team since 1966, whereas Spain play with a free flowing confidence of a side that believes every time they walk out onto the pitch they will win.

Like every other England fan i am desperate to see them win a major tournament but to do that they must not let Spain get into that comfortable mode and pulling England all over the place.

I really hope it is Englands turn to win tonight, their supporters deserve to see that happen.

17 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Just proper football.

Just watched it as well, wasn't it great, just as you wrote. Southgate should watch it before tonight's game. Positive direct football, none of this sideways, backwards and occasionally forwards passing. 

I loved the continual banter between the ref and Nobby Stiles. No notebook, yellow or red cards, a player was fouled, he was picked up and they shook hands and got on with it ... great to watch. 

How the ref and linesman were able to give England's 3rd. goal....? 

And we WON...