The Euro 2024 Thread

AlexLaw76

That was our best performance of the tournament. A real mix - played well, dug in when we had to, subs made a difference and a great winning goal. No extra time or penalties will give the players a real boost for the final. Spain have been the best team all tournament but they are gettable. History could be made this year. Could...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Paulwantsapint81 said:

Is the pen pay back for Koeman in 93?

"He's gonna chip it, he's gonna chip it"

"Do I not like that"

Indelibly etched into my brain..!

Its Koeman home, its Koeman home, footballs Koeman home!!

Get in there. Deserved that win. Thought we bossed the first half, Dutch killed the game 2nd half sticking on the big man and playing direct, but we stuck it in the net twice, albeit marginally offside for one. Watkins what a finish.

Absolutely brilliant finish from Watkins from a superb Palmer pass. Well done England and we deserved it as we were the better side overall. Would love to see Watkins lead the line in the final but we know it'll be Kane who is neither fit enough nor good enough now I'm afraid - he is a shadow of himself and time appears to have caught up with him. Well done to Southgate and his coaches for getting us to consecutive finals in this competition. Win or lose on Sunday he can now bow out with his head held high.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sadoldgit said:

Spain are the better side but won’t sit back or put everyone behind the ball. We look better when we have more space to play in. We might just do this.

Agree. The Dutch knew they were being outplayed so stifled the game second half and hoped to nick a goal from the big lump. Spain won't do that so we'll have a chance to play as we did in the first half today. They are very good but we can give them plenty of problems.

• Like 2

Mrs SOG (who doesn’t like football) has just said that we won the World Cup the year she was born and we are celebrating her Mum’s 80th birthday this weekend, so it is a sign. Apparently 🥳🏆

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SaintsBarry74 said:

If we were the Dutch, we'd be raging at the referee. Even with my England bias, he seemed blatantly one-sided. I laughed my arse off when Van Dijk got booked for correctly pointing out that it was a corner kick. 

Thought he was quite even handed to be honest. The big call was of course the penalty and that was a VAR advice to look at the screen and we all know what happens with those.

3 minutes ago, BotleySaint said:

The look on Watkins face when he scored and after the game. Pure joy.

I loved that. Almost child like excitement shows how much it means to them. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BotleySaint said:

To come on as a late sub and score the goal that puts you in the Euros final must be awesome. His composure was amazing. What a moment.

That was so much better, there has been warranted criticism of the team up until now (albeit Switzerland was a slight improvement over what went before). It felt like we were playing with straight jackets for months, but tonight - first half in particular - we were just free, our best players were playing with their instincts which is exactly what we've been crying out for. That's the best I've ever seen Foden play for England, it was like he was let off his leach and allowed to follow his own instincts. 

It was such an impressive first half, the control of the midfield, the way we used the ball to stretch the game and the speed at which we moved between the lines. It was like a different side to what we saw before. Light and day. Note on that Penalty though, wtf? That should never have even been sent to review, if that was against us that ref would have been strung up on cardboard cut-outs and burnt at the stake. That level of decision, with VAR to assist, was an absolutley disgrace to the game. It's nice when it happens in your favour for sure, but that sort of ineptness can easily happen against you too.

The Dutch were always going to change it though, we had too much in CM - they brought on a CM and it certainly made the game tighter, I still wouldn't say they bossed it or ever looked like they were going to score in the 2nd half, but they took the fluidity out of our players in the 10's. So Credit Koeman for that, he saw the problem and filled the hole.

It looked for all that it was going to ET again, but take a moment to appreciate the 2 bits of play prior to the goal - Palmers movement and pass was absolutley sublime, and the movement Watkins made to drag their CB wide was on point. At that stage of the game, it was the perfect assist and goal combo you could get. The finish was off the scale at that late stage.

I thought Kane and Trippier were still our weakest - Kane is playing like he has lead boots, must be carrying a knock. Trippier is just past it, so that sub at HT was spot on.

Spain are a different level, so Sunday will be interesting. There's something weird happening though, last min goals, penalty shoot out wins, penalties given which weren't penalties etc - things like this don't usually happen for England in tournaments.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, BotleySaint said:

Indeed. What a finish though. KERRRSMACK!!!! Right in the corner GTFI, I think another half hr of extra time could’ve really hurt us in the final esp with Spain having an extra days rest.

I'm hoping the games against Germany and France took a lot out of Spain. They may also be missing Morata due to that unfortunate incident with security. We have the personnel to win this game for sure just need to get the tactics right.

Edited by Disco Stu

I take my hat off to Southgate. However, a ruthless manager would be ditching Kane for the final and playing Watkins up front. Hard on Kane? I don't think so - he hasn't done nearly enough in this tournament to warrant a place in the eleven to start against Spain and has looked completely unfit whereas Watkins will be straining at the leash and will give Spain problems. Harry has been a tremendous  player for England but sadly is now past his best. However we all know Southgate will start him on Sunday because he allows sentiment to cloud his judgement. Hope it doesn't cost him his final chance to manage England to a trophy because he deserves one against his name. 

50 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Note on that Penalty though, wtf? That should never have even been sent to review, if that was against us that ref would have been strung up on cardboard cut-outs and burnt at the stake. That level of decision, with VAR to assist, was an absolutley disgrace to the game. It's nice when it happens in your favour for sure, but that sort of ineptness can easily happen against you too.

I disagree, anywhere else on the pitch, that’s a foul. He went in studs up

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Raging Bull said:

I'm coming around to this train of thought. I was firmly in the "no penalty" camp at the time but, I agree, if that player made the same contact anywhere else on the pitch hardly anyone would bat an eyelid if a free kick was given. 

• Like 8

Thing is... if you start with Watkins and let him get 80 minutes in or something like that, you then bring Kane on which means having Kane on the pitch fresher and ready for extra time if required and a possible penalty shoot out. You have your best penalty taker on the pitch. Kane trotting around doing very little for 80 minutes, you then sub him and you're suddenly without your best penalty taker. For me it's a no brainer... but Southgate in his post match interview said he thought Harry had a good game so....

• Like 4

Have to give Southgate his due now, no more disputing his accomplishments. First Euro final in 55 years, first Euro final on foreign soil, potential Euro championship on Sunday. Will go down as one the greatest national team managers.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Raging Bull said:

Agreed. I don't understand why so many say it wasn't a penalty. Maybe because it happened after Kane's shot. That's irrelevant, the player went into Kane's ankle studs up. It's a penalty all day long.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, striker said:

Have to give Southgate his due now, no more disputing his accomplishments. First Euro final in 55 years, first Euro final on foreign soil, potential Euro championship on Sunday. Will go down as one the greatest national team managers.

First euro final in 55 years?

Does the one against Italy 3 years ago not count then?

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, tdmickey3 said:

Feels like we are in a Saints match thread with this prick at it again

You have had a wonderful season, don’t let anyone tell you different. Keep up the great work next season.

On 30/06/2024 at 20:56, tdmickey3 said:

We won in spite of that negative, bearded, big toothed twat………boring tactics.

Hideous performance overall 

Saved by one piece of quality

On 27/04/2024 at 16:30, tdmickey3 said:

Pathetic management yet again from our clown, just go FFS 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Raging Bull said:

I don't quite understand how kicking the bottom of someone's boot is a foul. Didn't Kane move his foot towards the bottom of his foot, and subsequently kick it, rather than Dumfries moving his foot downwards into Kane's leg? Does this mean that from now on if you kick the bottom of someone's boot, which we all know hurts like hell, it's a foul for the kicker and not the kickee? Seems a bit odd.

• Like 2