The Euro 2024 Thread

AlexLaw76

3 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

We could well fluke our way to the final! Despite so many people saying that Southgate needed to change things up, he stuck to the same formula. He will argue that it has gotten us this far but luck rather than skill and good tactical decisions is responsible for that. Expect more of the same in the semi!

He didn’t stick to the same formula at all, he changed the shape!

3 hours ago, Badger said:

Credit where it’s due though - penalties were spot on. 
from that you’d have to give Southgate some credit if the players have focused on this, whereas it’s been a bit of an afterthought in the past. 

That's quite an understatement! Prior to Southgate almost all England managers have viewed penalties as a pointless exercise to prepare for, considering them as just a lottery, and didn't bother to practice ("What's the point, you can't recreate the pressure of a real match", "Ok lads, it's penalties. Who fancies taking one?")

The only exception was Venables, who had 5 players prepared (which led to our only success, against Spain). Unfortunately he didn't consider the possibility that it could go beyond a 5th penalty, and we duly lost to Germany (ironically Southgate missing the 6th). If England had been as well prepared as we were today then we probably would've had more major trophies than that solitary one 50+ years ago.

8 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

We could well fluke our way to the final! Despite so many people saying that Southgate needed to change things up, he stuck to the same formula. He will argue that it has gotten us this far but luck rather than skill and good tactical decisions is responsible for that. Expect more of the same in the semi!

He did not stick to the same formula at all

• Like 1

16 hours ago, East Kent Saint said:

Crossing the ball with no one on the the end of it is a feature of all teams this Euros , all to do with the slow tippy tappy build up meaning there is no momentum in the final third.

Pep is to blame.  It’s so fucking boring.

16 hours ago, East Kent Saint said:

Crossing the ball with no one on the the end of it is a feature of all teams this Euros , all to do with the slow tippy tappy build up meaning there is no momentum in the final third.

Same was said about us for times last season.

Came good in the end though, -especially the approach in the play offs- hope it does for England over the next two games 

14 hours ago, gallaghert366@yahoo.com said:

That is the problem, other teams move forward with pace    - England are ponderous.

But are unbeaten and controlled the game yesterday against a strong Swiss side

4 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

Got to be honest, I think we would be a better side with Toney or Watkins in Kane’s place.

He’s been really poor.

For the third tournament in row 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

My son has just alerted me to Jordan Pickford's water bottle.  It had all the Swiss players on it with their usual penalty preferences. Some papers are calling it a 'cheat sheet'. I'm not.

https://www.goal.com/en/lists/akanji-dive-left-jordan-pickford-water-bottle-england-goalkeeper-penalty-heroics-euro-2024-semi-finals/blt107183bc0958aeee

Good preparation that’s all

Good chance of another Final. Need to pull the rabbit out of the hat against  probably Spain though. 

IMO this tournament for every team is up there as one of the most boring, lack of any quality euros for a long time.

Turkey, Austria, Georgia could come away pleased. Apart from that utter b?,.cks.

I guess the record books won’t show that however, just whoever wins it. 

Come on England……….

6 minutes ago, Saint Gifford said:

Good chance of another Final. Need to pull the rabbit out of the hat against  probably Spain though. 

IMO this tournament for every team is up there as one of the most boring, lack of any quality euros for a long time.

Turkey, Austria, Georgia could come away pleased. Apart from that utter b?,.cks.

Come on England……….

I agree, it’s been pretty boring.  I worry for the game if tippy tappy is the future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Gifford said:

Come on England……….

And Spain too?

• Like 1

Just now, AlexLaw76 said:

Spain are fantastic. I think this is how most imagined England would look something like….

No one is going to beat them far too much quality going forward 

Interesting game now, Spain likely to keep attacking you’d think, but they’ve also looked vulnerable on the break, perhaps not surprisingly with the players they have out.

Just now, Jimmy_D said:

Interesting game now, Spain likely to keep attacking you’d think, but they’ve also looked vulnerable on the break, perhaps not surprisingly with the players they have out.

France have to attack should be more goals 

Just now, Jimmy_D said:

Will be when Navas gets a red