The Euro 2024 Thread

AlexLaw76

Great penalty shoot out... but bar one moment of excellence from Saka... that was a poor watch again. Please Southgate sort it out for the Semis.

• Like 3

Just now, SNSUN said:

Great penalty shoot out... but bar one moment of excellence from Saka... that was a poor watch again. Please Southgate sort it out for the Semis.

And now I’m turning over to see who that will be. Don’t write the Turks off.

• Like 1

Not sure that we were any better than the first three games to be honest, but one thing I am sure about is Alan Shearer (and all of the BBC pundits for that matter) are utter clueless plums.  I get the fact they have to big it up, but ffs, do they think the watching public are blind idiots.  We got lucky, again. 

• Like 3

Just now, AlexLaw76 said:

Good penalties.

but tragic in-game management by Southgate for the vast majority of the game

Just the 3 semi finals and better out of 4 for Southgate btw.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

The Swiss must be gutted but fair play, those penalty takers were awesome. Southgate’s master plan worked 🤣

Swiss were better team overall, had the chances to win it for sure. England so uninspiring yet somehow still in it 

34 minutes ago, Gloucester Saint said:

Kane playing like a middle aged man. Foden being exposed again without his Man City team-mates. Palmer and Eze have livened England up and ensured Saka is not the only bright spark. 

The excuse will come up about the players being tired but the reason they have played an extra hour all told us because of the panic tactics from the manager. Kane off for Toney, had to happen, now England will actually have a striker who gets in the penalty box to aim at. Saka put a peach of cross in earlier and Kane was nowhere near. 

Crossing the ball with no one on the the end of it is a feature of all teams this Euros , all to do with the slow tippy tappy build up meaning there is no momentum in the final third.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Which are the top three, top quality teams we’ve beaten in that time, would you say?

I don't think there are any top quality international teams tbh (in comparison to club football I mean). All recent evidence of teams who make the late stages suggests you need to be well organised, hard to beat and have some star quality. Feels like Englands results under Southgate suggest they are all of those things. He's quite clearly a decent international manager. 

Edited by Fabrice29
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

I don't think there are any top quality international teams tbh (in comparison to club football I mean). All recent evidence of teams who make the late stages suggests you need to be well organised, hard to beat and have some star quality. Feels like Englands results under Southgate suggest they are all of those things. He's quite clearly a decent international manager. 

So you’ve no idea if Argentina, Spain and France are any better than Latvia, Kyrgyzstan and the US Marshall Islands?

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

So you’ve no idea if Argentina, Spain and France are any better than Latvia, Kyrgyzstan and the US Marshall Islands?

Yeah that is exactly what I said, well done.

Posted (edited)

It was a hard watch again, it wasn't as bad as the previous - but it couldn't have been worse, so that's nothing to laud about like the pundits are doing for some reason.

The normal in-game performance is still very poor. Not getting the best out of our best players, and leaving the substitutes as a reaction rather than being proactive about it. We were lucky it went to penalties. In fact we're lucky we even got out of the groups, overall we're just plain dull and lucky in this tournament. We're still stinking it out in my eyes.

Penalties were utterly faultless though, cannot beat a bit of ecstasy from a pen shoot out win! But let's not allow that to mask the horrendous performance, yet again, against sub par opposition in the main.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 6

35 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Toney’s penalty was insane. He was staring at the keeper when he kicked the ball. 

Imagine the uproar if it had gone an inch the other side of the post 

Credit where it’s due though - penalties were spot on. 
from that you’d have to give Southgate some credit if the players have focused on this, whereas it’s been a bit of an afterthought in the past. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Badger said:

Imagine the uproar if it had gone an inch the other side of the post 

Looking at his demeanour I don’t think that missing ever entered his head! 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, JRM said:

Swiss were better team overall, had the chances to win it for sure. England so uninspiring yet somehow still in it 

We could well fluke our way to the final! Despite so many people saying that Southgate needed to change things up, he stuck to the same formula. He will argue that it has gotten us this far but luck rather than skill and good tactical decisions is responsible for that. Expect more of the same in the semi!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Micky said:

Not sure that we were any better than the first three games to be honest, but one thing I am sure about is Alan Shearer (and all of the BBC pundits for that matter) are utter clueless plums.  I get the fact they have to big it up, but ffs, do they think the watching public are blind idiots.  We got lucky, again. 

It was almost as if they all had a been given a set brief to be ultra positive despite how poor we were.

• Like 1

I watched in Majorca with Spanish commentators, so no aural influence. Not sure if it was for this reason but I thought we deserved to win. We played better than in previous games, much further up the pitch and more fluid. The subs were all good and great to see Shaw back. We should have enough to win the semi, no matter who it is

momentum is important in sport and we have it.  Spain/France will be favourite to win whoever they plan, which will suit us  if we can get there. 

3 minutes ago, RedWillie said:

It was almost as if they all had a been given a set brief to be ultra positive despite how poor we were.

They completely rewrote history in their post match summaries.
Didn’t think they were talking about the same England team that I’d seen

It could be a France vs England final... Two teams that have failed to light up the tournament hardly at all. If Spain don't win it though I'll still be hugely surprised. If anyone 'deserves' it, they do but that's not always how the story plays out.

3 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

I’m hoping the Dutch can win this at the moment. Turkey’s attacking energy will see us playing deep for 90 minutes plus again.

But Turkey will attack us everyone else we’ve played have sat deep so we’ll get more space too which might help us

32 minutes ago, Turkish said:

England v Turkey. Millions of Turks in Germany going to be dodgy for any England fans out there 

Probably not a fixture the German Police wanted either.

Are you taking the DEF over there ? 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Badger said:

Probably not a fixture the German Police wanted either.

Are you taking the DEF over there ? 

If we did I hope the Turkish have got lots of spare wood to board up their windows 

i wouldn’t be surprised if the German police give us a call to take sure the Turks lock themselves indoors 

Edited by Turkish

33 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

I’m hoping the Dutch can win this at the moment. Turkey’s attacking energy will see us playing deep for 90 minutes plus again.

I might have spoken too soon. Turkey seem to have run out of steam and the Dutch are looking useful.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Behind Enemy Lines said:

Anyone seen a Saints flag in the stadium. Got a competition running with a mate, first to see one wins.

Need your help!

Found you one. Little bit to close to the Pompey  flag for comfort though 👍

Screenshot_20240706-214429.png

Edited by 64saint
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

Surely the Dutch will rinse the English in the SF?

I wouldn't be so sure. They're clearly vulnerable at the back, if we can play to our strengths and exploit that.

Switzerland have looked good before today but England managed to nullify that for the most part. It hasn’t looked pretty but I think people are underestimating how effective it’s been at stifling opposition.

Wouldn’t bet against England being able to do similar against Netherlands and give themselves a chance of clawing their way to the final.