The Euro 2024 Thread

AlexLaw76

Playing terrible boring football is only mildly acceptable if you actually win the tournament. It's very likely that England will get defeated if not today then before winning the tournament then the question to ask Southgate is what was the point of playing such shit football? If you go out either way, I'd rather go out showing what we are capable of and playing to our strengths. This timid, safe style just makes us look like neanderthals. 

• Like 2

Just now, hypochondriac said:

Playing terrible boring football is only mildly acceptable if you actually win the tournament. It's very likely that England will get defeated if not today then before winning the tournament then the question to ask Southgate is what was the point of playing such shit football? If you go out either way, I'd rather go out showing what we are capable of and playing to our strengths. This timid, safe style just makes us look like neanderthals. 

I’d rather play on the front foot than the back foot. We have the players but do we have a manager with the nous? Switzerland will not be playing on the back foot today for sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toadhall Saint said:

You can put me in that camp but without doubt he is up there with the greatest of all time (not in my top 2 tho). It would be a brave manager that drops him an I’m afraid that the word brave doesn’t cross my mind when thinking about Martinez.

Not everyone can go on forever at the top (not even Pepe). Is it brave to sacrifice the team to satisfy one man’s ego? Ronaldo was never going to admit that he isn’t up to it now and retire from international football, but his performances have shown that he clearly isn’t. I guess they were gambling on him conjuring up another moment of magic. The gamble failed.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Not everyone can go on forever at the top (not even Pepe). Is it brave to sacrifice the team to satisfy one man’s ego? Ronaldo was never going to admit that he isn’t up to it now and retire from international football, but his performances have shown that he clearly isn’t. I guess they were gambling on him conjuring up another moment of magic. The gamble failed.

Like I say a brave man drops him and Martinez isn’t. Ronaldo won’t be an issue going forward and should have been on the bench and used as such.

33 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

I’d rather play on the front foot than the back foot. We have the players but do we have a manager with the nous? Switzerland will not be playing on the back foot today for sure.

It's not in Southgate's personality. His style is actually rather effective at progressing in tournaments it's just there's a real sense that we could do more and be more with the players we have. 

23 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Like I say a brave man drops him and Martinez isn’t. Ronaldo won’t be an issue going forward and should have been on the bench and used as such.

Ronaldo put his own ego before the good of the country. He's very selfish. 

• Like 1

On 03/07/2024 at 07:00, SNSUN said:

Gareth is OK at selecting them, it's just that he's then far too cautious. It would be like choosing Margot Robbie AND Jennifer Aniston and then not having sex with either for fear of chlamydia. 

Have you ever been invited to write a ‘Thought for the Day’ for a slot on Radio ? 

13 hours ago, Suhari said:

Is that Jose Fonte in the studio?

Saw him on there, and also Danny Rohl in earlier matches on ITV.  Got so say this is good work by their agents getting them out there to raise their profile, almost as an advertisement for their availability when a job arises. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Ronaldo put his own ego before the good of the country. He's very selfish. 

No shit! I can’t stand the guy tbh but Martinez is the manager so it’s down to him but he didn’t have the bottle.

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

It's not in Southgate's personality. His style is actually rather effective at progressing in tournaments it's just there's a real sense that we could do more and be more with the players we have. 

So what do you suggest? Front foot or back foot? Southgate is and always has been a defender so is very risk averse - that only gets you so far. Like I say we have the players to put most teams to the sword but when the hand brake is on that’s a bit difficult.

1 minute ago, Toadhall Saint said:

No shit! I can’t stand the guy tbh but Martinez is the manager so it’s down to him but he didn’t have the bottle.

Could there be something in place, as part of the federation hiring Martinez?

Doesn't even have to be as blunt as "pick him."

"As you know, we gave an endlessly profitable superstar who raises our profile, and brings us a load of money. How do you see yourself getting the best out of such a player?"

Just now, Toadhall Saint said:

So what do you suggest? Front foot or back foot? Southgate is and always has been a defender so is very risk averse - that only gets you so far. Like I say we have the players to put most teams to the sword but when the hand brake is on that’s a bit difficult.

Some flexibility would be nice. Certainly no need at all to be so defensive in the group games at least. We need pacy wide men to assist an older kane so I'd be playing both Gordon and Palmer and I'd replace saka who has had a poor tournament. I'd consider dropping foden if it isn't working or change it up between him and Bellingham. The pressing thing he's got completely wrong, I'd probably see if we can get some fun and expressiveness back into the football. I'd have taken someone like Grealish because he has some spark and x factor which Southgate hates. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Some flexibility would be nice. Certainly no need at all to be so defensive in the group games at least.

A quick check says that out of 16 Euros participated in (including qualification, and not entering the first one), England have got past the group stages only 7 times. 2 of those campaigns involved Hodgson and 2 are under Southgate.

Southgate absolutely sets out a team to secure 4 points, ideally in the first 2 games. Completely removed the pressure of having to win a one off game.

My view is that, while it might be far from entertaining, it gets the side through, which is what he's employed to do.

19 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Some flexibility would be nice. Certainly no need at all to be so defensive in the group games at least. We need pacy wide men to assist an older kane so I'd be playing both Gordon and Palmer and I'd replace saka who has had a poor tournament. I'd consider dropping foden if it isn't working or change it up between him and Bellingham. The pressing thing he's got completely wrong, I'd probably see if we can get some fun and expressiveness back into the football. I'd have taken someone like Grealish because he has some spark and x factor which Southgate hates. 

More in the front foot then.

2 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

A quick check says that out of 16 Euros participated in (including qualification, and not entering the first one), England have got past the group stages only 7 times. 2 of those campaigns involved Hodgson and 2 are under Southgate.

Southgate absolutely sets out a team to secure 4 points, ideally in the first 2 games. Completely removed the pressure of having to win a one off game.

My view is that, while it might be far from entertaining, it gets the side through, which is what he's employed to do.

I'm not sure that's a completely fair comparison - the group stages used to be a lot harder when there were only 8/16 teams, compared to since 2016 where it's more difficult to not go through!

18 hours ago, derry said:

All yellow cards are cancelled after the quarter finals only red cards carry over so possibly Carvahal suspended.

A bit I'd missed, two yellows entailing a one match suspension is carried forward but all single cards are cancelled.

Sideways, sideways, backwards, sideways. 
Just for God’s sake be a bit daring and take them on down the wing. Saka should be roasting their left back. He’s got him beat every time. Just chooses not to take him on. 

• Like 1

I don’t know what game Lineker and the studio pundits are watching. They’ve clearly decided to tone down the criticism after the slating they were giving the team and Southgate against Slovakia before the Bellingham miracle.

• Like 3

Meh. Not great but an improvement on the Slovakia performance at least. Switzerland have looked really threatening in previous games and we've neutralised that threat. 

Still not looking mega dangerous going forward, but staying patient and waiting for the right moment worked alright for Saints in the playoff final.

Plenty of possession. Not much to show for it. Some decent movement, with Saka having freedom. If they double up on him, it might create some space elsewhere. Mainoo getting some freedom too.

Early, with a more wing back look, the Swiss got to exploit the flanks. But that faded away during the half.

England need to be sharper in getting a final ball in. A change in tempo will make all the difference. Just have to bedside to have enough cover if it breaks down and Mainoo isn't central.