The Euro 2024 Thread

AlexLaw76

Spain just about edged that I think, Germany had their moments but Spain had more prolonged periods of control.

Their name is all over it already IMO. Cannot see past Spain. They're a very tidy team, lots of experienced winners in that side. I hope Pedri isn't too badly injured, really rate him.

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Spain just about edged that I think, Germany had their moments but Spain had more prolonged periods of control.

Their name is all over it already IMO. Cannot see past Spain. They're a very tidy team, lots of experienced winners in that side. I hope Pedri isn't too badly injured, really rate him.

They’ll find it tough to get through the semi-final. Three suspended players, plus Pedri potentially out, and the extra half hour in their legs.

Just now, Jimmy_D said:

They’ll find it tough to get through the semi-final. Three suspended players, plus Pedri potentially out, and the extra half hour in their legs.

Yeah maybe, they'll miss those 3. I still rate them though. Neither Portugal or France have impressed me yet, I think Spain could still be better than either of those even minus 3 players.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

They've got one hell of a squad, look at the calibre of their subs tonight. Sadly, I think they'll be fine...then have a few more options in the final. Hard to see past them imo. 

27 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

All yellow cards are cancelled after the quarter finals only red cards carry over so possibly Carvahal suspended.

Just now, derry said:

All yellow cards are cancelled after the quarter finals only red cards carry over so possibly Carvahal suspended.

The yellows get cancelled, but not the suspensions they picked up for those yellows.

It just protects players from getting suspended for the final for accumulated yellows.

7 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

The yellows get cancelled, but not the suspensions they picked up for those yellows.

It just protects players from getting suspended for the final for accumulated yellows.

Wouldn't Carvajal be banned for two games now? The two yellow cards in separate games and then the red as well? 

5 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Wouldn't Carvajal be banned for two games now? The two yellow cards in separate games and then the red as well? 

I don’t know. It doesn’t look like it’s being reported as two games suspended anywhere though.

In Copa America the rules specify that they do stack, but the wording doesn’t seem to cover this case for the Euros rules. Might be that a ruling needs to be made by the competition on it.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

Portugal need to get rid of Ronaldo , they would play better without a passenger. Mbappe should be rested as well , no point in causing further damage to his face .

Yes, the commentators made exactly the same point. They’ve got far better options wasting away on the bench.

They seem to be frightened of his fragile ego melting down.

Edited by adrian lord

30 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/football/euro-2024-can-yellow-card-suspensions-carry-into-euros-semifinal-rules-explained-news-updates/article68371976.ece

I think he will just miss the semi if he gets a one match suspension . If he gets a two match suspension he will miss the final as well. Yellow cards reset after Quarters but not suspensions.

He’s done two different things that pick up a one match suspension, but there’s some ambiguity as to whether the first suspension (for accumulated yellows) that he first picked up being part of the second suspension (for two yellows leading to a red) affects it, and some ambiguity as to whether, if he does have two suspensions, due to the wording they both apply to just the semi-final rather than stacking to a two match suspension.

Posted (edited)
Just now, Jimmy_D said:

Ronaldo on a free kick has to be the most over-hyped aspect in world football.

Reminds me of the Beckham v Greece free kicks, he had about 20 that game but managed to squeeze one in eventually. Guess Portugal hoping one might go in soon.

Edited by skintsaint

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Why is Martinez persisting with Ronaldo? He’s been absolute dog shit this tournament, they’d be much more of a threat with Jota up front 

Ronaldo manages that team in all honesty.

Martinez isn't strong enough to overhaul that. Bit of a pointless manager all told. Ruined Belgium's greatest chances, now putting the knife into Portugals.

1 minute ago, skintsaint said:

Reminds me of the Beckham v Greece free kicks, he had about 20 that game but managed to squeeze one in eventually. Guess Portugal hoping one might go in soon.

At least Beckham had a pretty decent conversion rate. Ronaldo has what, 1 goal in the last 60 or so free kicks for Portugal?

6 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

At least Beckham had a pretty decent conversion rate. Ronaldo has what, 1 goal in the last 60 or so free kicks for Portugal?

1 in 61 now. His overall club and country rate must be atrocious.

Spain can beat either of these two. France have been poor for the most part, Portugal marginally better but still poor. Without Mbappe on form France's attack looks blunt.

Don’t agree with them wanting to remove extra time myself in the slightest!

Teams with the fitter players shouldn’t have that advantage reduced, and teams that manage to do well enough to win in normal time shouldn’t have that advantage reduced over the tournament.

Not to mention it’d probably end up with teams wanting to make sure it at least goes to penalties from about 60 mins on.

• Like 1

Trash game, I'd say worst of the tournament, but I've watched England's games.

If anyone deserved it on open play, it was probably Portugal. France just sat in and waited for the pens, horrific display by them. Spain will wallop them.

• Like 1

Quite sad to see a player like Ronaldo look a shadow of his former self. I know a lot of people don’t like him but he has been an unbelievable player but he’s been awful in this tournament, playing him could well have cost Portugal the competition their squad is as good as anyways 

9 hours ago, Turkish said:

Quite sad to see a player like Ronaldo look a shadow of his former self. I know a lot of people don’t like him but he has been an unbelievable player but he’s been awful in this tournament, playing him could well have cost Portugal the competition their squad is as good as anyways 

You can put me in that camp but without doubt he is up there with the greatest of all time (not in my top 2 tho). It would be a brave manager that drops him an I’m afraid that the word brave doesn’t cross my mind when thinking about Martinez.

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

An interesting alternative view on the career of Gareth Southgate as England manager. (Don’t shoot the messenger!)

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/jul/05/euro-2024-england-gareth-southate-successful-manager-failure

It all depends on who you consider success. Boring the opposition (and the world) to submission is not my idea of exciting football.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

You can put me in that camp but without doubt he is up there with the greatest of all time (not in my top 2 tho). It would be a brave manager that drops him an I’m afraid that the word brave doesn’t cross my mind when thinking about Martinez.

Had that been anyone else yesterday they’d have been hooked after an hour tops. He didn’t influence the game at all, constantly gave the ball away and looked out of his depth. Portugal were the better team with the better chances, I’m convinced they’d have won if Ronaldo wasn’t there 

• Like 1

Fell asleep twice watching that. I'll take the free kick, throw in, corner, goal kick, have my legs rubbed, penalty, drop ball and wave my arms about frantically though no one wants to pass to me because I've lost it Ronaldo, is a shadow of his former self and lowering his standards playing in a big payout but shit standard Saudi league when he already has enough money to feed half the world, should be no where near that Portugal side anymore but his big as ever ego demands it and he knows no one has the balls to object.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Southgate has got a lot of stick, some of it deserved. Deschamps should be fucking locked up for crimes against football. Fuck me, he played a keeper, 4 defenders and 3 defensive midfielders last night; dull as ditch water… and that’s very unfair on ditch water. 

Edited by notnowcato

40 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

It all depends on who you consider success. Boring the opposition (and the world) to submission is not my idea of exciting football.

I guess the argument is progress in competitions. Would we rather we played brilliant, attacking football but never get out of the group stages? In an ideal world we would play great football and win everything. Sadly we do not live in an ideal world.