The Euro 2024 Thread

AlexLaw76

1 hour ago, Maggie May said:

Germany v Netherlands final IMO.

I have the Dutch in my work sweep and as I'm in charge of my work sweep I'd rather they didn't win it or I'll basically be buying myself a bottle of JD (the prize being a bottle of booze of the winner's choice at my expense).

Actually... come on the Netherlands!

That was a great game, knew that one would be the pick of the knockouts. Austria have been great, so have Turkey.

That save was just unreal in the last second. Drama.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, saintant said:

Enjoyed that game. Come on Southgate, take the frigging hand brake off and show us some proper football.

Southgate could have choice of Margot Robbie or Jennifer Aniston but he would choose Susan Boyle

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Southgate could have choice of Margot Robbie or Jennifer Aniston but he would choose Susan Boyle

Gareth is OK at selecting them, it's just that he's then far too cautious. It would be like choosing Margot Robbie AND Jennifer Aniston and then not having sex with either for fear of chlamydia. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

SuBo is a filthy bitch though and sometimes that’s what’s needed. 

13 hours ago, SaintsBarry74 said:

Great game as a neutral. I just wish England would play even half as entertaining as these two teams has been.

devils advocate, whilst I agree we should have performed better tahn we have, I'd take boring 1-0 wins from now until the final. generally speaking, cadgey, defensive football is what wins these things. 

Have England been defensive or just crap?  What I've been seeing is a team that's just not cohesive at all, I don't think it's particularly defensive, maybe a bit cautious, but I think that comes from the fact things aren't working.

• Like 1

I think the biggest lack of something we've seen so far, bar very fleeting glimpses, is quality bearing in mind the players we have on offer. We're not defensive per se, we're just too safe. I think I've seen enough effort from England as the tournament has progressed, just not enough quality.

14 hours ago, saintant said:

Enjoyed that game. Come on Southgate, take the frigging hand brake off and show us some proper football.

I don't think it's really a case of Southgate having the hand brake on. More like he's tried to put together a sports car using parts from Ferrari, Porsche, Lotus etc.. and what he's actually produced is this...

giphy.gif.c9234b1842a9bea55884e29a439b658e.gif

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

Barney Ronay is a great reporter and always like how he puts his point across.

i agree about Bellingham. He seems a bit overly arrogant and appears to do/say what he wants. 

20 hours ago, Maggie May said:

Germany v Netherlands final IMO.

Definite possibility. Never write off the Germans. If it does come to that I hope Netherlands win it, and I’d be happy for Koeman. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, LeBizzier69 said:

Looking forward to Germany v Spain later on - really could go either way....Spain to edge it perhaps? 

I hope to be watching it this evening. In Spain. I shall probably be supporting Spain.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

I wonder how Marine le Pen and her pals feel cheering on the French team, watching all those children of immigrants representing them.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/jul/04/antonio-rudiger-germany-euro-2024-football

like France the ‘migrants ‘ in the national team have been targeted in Germany , fortunately we’re not like that in England .

Edited by East Kent Saint

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

No we're not. A very small number of people on the internet do not represent Britain.

I think it is more than a small number of people on the internet but no, it is not everyone, but then it doesn’t have to be everyone to make it a problem does it?

1 minute ago, Jimmy_D said:

Blimey.

Looked a stonewall penalty under the current rules to me.

I thought it was a certain penalty. Surprised how quick the VAR check was. They'll be some controversy if Germany don't get through.

Germany will win this in a typical German way... on penalties.

They're in trouble for the Semis though if they get through, quite a few players will miss out due to suspension.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Germany will win this in a typical German way... on penalties.

They're in trouble for the Semis though if they get through, quite a few players will miss out due to suspension

Or not!

Great header and delivery. Spain deserve this based on over the tournament even if not tonight. 

1 minute ago, sadoldgit said:

The ball hit him but they give those now I thought?

Yeah, his hand looked like it was out away from his body and he subtly leaned into it as well.

And now a cracking header for the goal for Spain. Looks like Germany will be out complaining about the ref here.

Great game this overall. If you're going to take one for the team, do it when you're already missing the semi. Only now Caravajal will miss the final too 

1 minute ago, SNSUN said:

Great game this overall. If you're going to take one for the team, do it when you're already missing the semi. Only now Caravajal will miss the final too 

Why? It’s four yellows for a second suspension.

7 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Why? It’s four yellows for a second suspension.

I actually don’t know whether the one match suspension for a red gets added to the one match suspension for the accumulated yellows he’d already picked up.