The Euro 2024 Thread

AlexLaw76

12 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

That midfield is a bit mental, you have 3 players there who all like to go forward and don't have a disciplined bone in their body.

As soon as we are broken on there will be zero cover and you've got everyone and their gran running at a pretty slow back 3 there.

When you look at Spain you have two disciplined CM's, water carrier is probably a bit disrespectful to their role, but they hold their positions well and know how to play CM. Rodri and Fabian have been excellent at it. Rodri is one of the best 6's in the entire planet, I don't see any better tbh.

There is nothing wrong with Rice as a player, you have to play him to provide a bit of discipline in there. The biggest positive change you could make would be some left footers down the left hand side, it's unbelievable how unbalanced we are and that slows the game down massively. 

Ok, maybe I got a bit carried away and went full gung-ho but it's my reaction to the negativity shown by Southgate. I'm not a huge fan of Rice but, having looked up his stats for yesterday, it seems he did far more than I gave him credit for so concede he should be in my team in place of Foden to give more holding cover. I still maintain we need to be much more front footed and maybe others could come up with ideas/line-ups to achieve this.

1 minute ago, saintant said:

Ok, maybe I got a bit carried away and went full gung-ho but it's my reaction to the negativity shown by Southgate. I'm not a huge fan of Rice but, having looked up his stats for yesterday, it seems he did far more than I gave him credit for so concede he should be in my team in place of Foden to give more holding cover. I still maintain we need to be much more front footed and maybe others could come up with ideas/line-ups to achieve this.

With players like Rice they do a lot that's not as standout, I think he's a critical cog.

I would also like to see a CM next to him with some mobility, discipline and agility on the ball to open up passing angles, keep us moving forward etc. Mainoo could well be that guy, more so than TAA or Gallagher anyway. If I did have a criticism of Rice it's that he doesn't push the team up, that could be on instruction - not sure, but we really do need our CM's - like the Spain CM's - to push the team up field so we don't end up camped with CM's so close to the CB's, as we see a fair bit with Rice. It then becomes a slog to get out as the oppo have everyone behind the ball, and we're all the way back at our goal.

The other issue we need to sort as everyone is saying is the left side. We've gone square pegs down that entire left hand side and it doesn't work. You could play Foden coming in from the left 'IF' he had a left footed wing back behind him, but because he doesn't the left side is completely irrelevant and he never gets the space created - as there's no one overlapping. Similar criticism you could say for the right side as Walker has been pretty naff, so to please every single pundit you have to get 'Trent (TM)' at RWB - but obviously at the huge risk of being cut open defensively, as he's shit at defending - but as Walker hasn't been much better, we might as well change it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

With players like Rice they do a lot that's not as standout, I think he's a critical cog.

I would also like to see a CM next to him with some mobility, discipline and agility on the ball to open up passing angles, keep us moving forward etc. Mainoo could well be that guy, more so than TAA or Gallagher anyway. If I did have a criticism of Rice it's that he doesn't push the team up, that could be on instruction - not sure, but we really do need our CM's - like the Spain CM's - to push the team up field so we don't end up camped with CM's so close to the CB's, as we see a fair bit with Rice. It then becomes a slog to get out as the oppo have everyone behind the ball, and we're all the way back at our goal.

The other issue we need to sort as everyone is saying is the left side. We've gone square pegs down that entire left hand side and it doesn't work. You could play Foden coming in from the left 'IF' he had a left footed wing back behind him, but because he doesn't the left side is completely irrelevant and he never gets the space created - as there's no one overlapping. Similar criticism you could say for the right side as Walker has been pretty naff, so to please every single pundit you have to get 'Trent (TM)' at RWB - but obviously at the huge risk of being cut open defensively, as he's shit at defending - but as Walker hasn't been much better, we might as well change it.

With Rice I'd say it's probably on instruction, fairly sure from when I saw Arsenal last season he was pushing them forward a lot more than what we see with England. 

Edited by Harry_SFC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry_SFC said:

With Rice I'd say it's probably on instruction, fairly sure from when I saw Arsenal last season he was pushing them forward a lot more than what we see with England. 

Arsenal brought in Partey or Jorginho to sit in behind him though. He's England's deepest midfielder. 

FWIW, I think Rice is decent, but another player who has massively underwhelmed in this tournament so far. 

• Like 2

I just don't get Southgate. He has always been the same underachiever. I have always been brought up to believe when selecting teams keep it simple. The big picture is really important. The rules are simple, avoid the trap of picking any formation first. No square pegs in round holes. Blend and balance is all important.If two players don't blend, ie Bellingham and Foden then only one selected playing both messes up the blend same with Gerrard and Lampard. Great players but together they ruined the team. Looking at Southgate's selected teams he virtually breaks all those rules.

Right footed left back, full back in midfield, two attacking central midfielders, a central striker playing deep. Consequently there is no team, no blend or balance and no natural shape and boy did it look rubbish. Pickford, Walker Stones Guehi Shaw,( back four)  Bellingham Rice (midfield) . Eze Palmer (wings),  Kane, Toney or Watkins. Strikers. Just a simple selection but passes all the criteria. Other players can be selected to give three centre backs plus wing backs and for example two midfield and three forwards. It doesn't matter about the shape because the selection gives the shape. Up to now England have been a shapeless mess.

13 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

The French played some nice football but their shooting was woeful. Even the goal was a deflection. From that performance they don’t look likely winners.

Spain look like the Champions-elect to me, hard to see past them at the moment. Best two sides in this entire tournament have been Austria and Spain IMO.

Be interesting to see how Austria get on tomorrow, I enjoyed their group games more than any other side.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Spain look like the Champions-elect to me, hard to see past them at the moment. Best two sides in this entire tournament have been Austria and Spain IMO.

Be interesting to see how Austria get on tomorrow, I enjoyed their group games more than any other side.

This tournament has been dire. England getting shit and rightly so but it has been the same boring shite from nearly every team barring Spain. Credit to Austria and Georgia as well but on the whole a horrible tournament so far and the least interested I've ever been. Roll on the new league season

• Like 1

Ronaldo continuously smashing free kicks over the bar. Quite funny. Although he'll probably score a penalty in the 89th minute and the media will go on about it for weeks.

Slovenia making it difficult for Portugal which is what they did for England. They're well organised.

Beginning to wonder if the balls they’re using for the tournament are difficult to curl onto or get down on to the target. So many shots from so many players being skied over and well wide. 

Just now, adrian lord said:

Beginning to wonder if the balls they’re using for the tournament are difficult to curl onto or get down on to the target. So many shots from so many players being skied over and well wide. 

Ronaldo has always been woeful at free kicks, he’s just scored a couple of worldies in his career, but his conversation rate is terrible, 

5 minutes ago, adrian lord said:

Could be the pitches, a few have been cutting up and balls have been bobbling all over the place. I’ve never see so many balls bobbling in one tournament before. No wonder players are struggling to kick the balls.

18 minutes ago, kevdoh said:

This tournament has been dire. England getting shit and rightly so but it has been the same boring shite from nearly every team barring Spain. Credit to Austria and Georgia as well but on the whole a horrible tournament so far and the least interested I've ever been. Roll on the new league season

Started off well, thought it may have been one of the best ever - but I agree, overall it's turned into a bit of a bilge-fest. 

The France game was awful, this Portgual game is equally as bad. Slovenia are putting up a good effort, no doubts, but the quality is so bad.

My best Euros is still 2004, not been beaten yet.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Ronaldo continuously smashing free kicks over the bar. Quite funny. Although he'll probably score a penalty in the 89th minute and the media will go on about it for weeks.

Slovenia making it difficult for Portugal which is what they did for England. They're well organised.

He missed it! He only bloody missed it!

1 minute ago, whelk said:

If this goes to pens then no one you’d want in goal more than Oblak

He’s been superb. Him and Mamardashvili must be in the running for GK of the tournament.

43 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Started off well, thought it may have been one of the best ever - but I agree, overall it's turned into a bit of a bilge-fest. 

The France game was awful, this Portgual game is equally as bad. Slovenia are putting up a good effort, no doubts, but the quality is so bad.

My best Euros is still 2004, not been beaten yet.

Still been some highlights

IMG_0216.jpeg

• Like 4

As much as I wanted Slovenia to pull it off, Portugal will probably make for some more entertaining games in the latter stages. I can't sit through many more of these cagey bore draws.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Because he's making it all about him. Attention seeking. 

You’d think he was Turkish, not Portuguese. 😉

The Dutch finding form now. Should have put it to bed much earlier but a comfortable win and Gakpo had a great game. 

Edited by sadoldgit

5 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

You’d think he was Turkish, not Portuguese. 😉

The Dutch finding form now. Should have put it to bed much earlier but a comfortable win and Gakpo had a great game. 

Yep, the dutch were good value tonight. Played really well.

Potential Semi Final opponents for us, but likely Switzerland tbf.