The Euro 2024 Thread

AlexLaw76

That defence is pretty woeful. Lewis Dunk FFS. 

We have all the attacking talent in the world, but we win absolutely nothing with that defence. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, LGTL said:

We have all the attacking talent in the world, but we win absolutely nothing with that defence. 

Still weird how Tomori doesn't get a look in.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, LGTL said:

Defences win tournaments. Shame ours is average at best.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I see a lot of pundits claiming this is the strongest ever team England have gone into a tournament with, not sure I buy that. Maybe in terms of depth in certain positions (i.e players who could all claim a starting birth) but as a team-wide effort it's not.

I look back to our 2004/2006 teams. Sol Campbell, Rio, Ashley Cole, Terry, Neville, Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney, Beckham, Scholes, Owen - in every position we had a world star. Fair enough they couldn't form a team, but as individual players across the entire 11 that is way stronger than what we have now.

Compare Terry and Rio to Lewis Dunk and Ezri Konza for starters.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I see a lot of pundits claiming this is the strongest ever team England have gone into a tournament with, not sure I buy that. Maybe in terms of depth in certain positions (i.e players who could all claim a starting birth) but as a team-wide effort it's not.

I look back to our 2004/2006 teams. Sol Campbell, Rio, Ashley Cole, Terry, Neville, Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney, Beckham, Scholes, Owen - in every position we had a world star. Fair enough they couldn't form a team, but as individual players across the entire 11 that is way stronger than what we have now.

Let’s be honest, Neville was bang average. Walker and Stones are stronger than Neville and Terry. Southgate should’ve spent the last 2 years replacing Maguire not pissing about with all that loyalty bollox. Grealish has never really let England down but he’s not on the bus so clearly the loyalty was horse shit. 

We’ve a front 5 to scare the shit out of world football but you know we’ll play 7 defensive players. 

1 hour ago, LGTL said:

This. We will look really good in the early stages and come unstuck against the first decent side we face.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

We had some unbelievable centre backs back then. Ferdinand, Campbell, Terry, then you had Lesley king, woodgate and even Southgate all six of them get into this squad. Ashley Cole was one of the best left backs in the world, Seaman miles better than Pickford the others like you mention quality players. Thst first eleven beats the current one man for man much stronger team if they could have got it together rather than be egos 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, whelk said:

That is why Wharton is in. Only plays if Rice doesn’t 

Maybe but very inexperienced even at premier league level. That said I’d rather have him than an over the hill Henderson 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Too many chiefs, not enough Indians or a proper holding midfielder. Lampard, Gerrard and Scholes all wanted to be the #8. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Still weird how Tomori doesn't get a look in.

Forgot all about him, must be some kind of falling out, or Southgate isn’t interested unless he’s playing Prem football. Crazy though as always rated him, 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

Too many chiefs, not enough Indians or a proper holding midfielder. Lampard, Gerrard and Scholes all wanted to be the #8. 

Don't disagree at all, I just look at the names of our CB options then and what they'd achieved, compared to now - Dunk and Konza. Massive regression at CB., need some quality coming through at CB sharpish, otherwise the generation of Bellingham/Saka/Foden/Palmer/Kane etc will be all a bit pointless.

THB has a great shout of being the next England CB if he progresses with us.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

It was always the challenge to find the balance - Ironically, they would have probably all been much better suited to a modern team.

For me, Carrick was the missing peice. Had we been able to accomodate him with Lampard / Gerrard / Scholes, we'd have seen much more success. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Don't disagree at all, I just look at the names of our CB options then and what they'd achieved, compared to now - Dunk and Konza. Massive regression at CB., need some quality coming through at CB sharpish, otherwise the generation of Bellingham/Saka/Foden/Palmer/Kane etc will be all a bit pointless.

THB has a great shout of being the next England CB if he progresses with us.

THB has loads of time, he's 22 with tons of experience. He'll never play below the Prem again, either we stay up and keep him or we get relegated and he moves to another team. From what I've seen of him he's too good to play at that level again. I'd love to see him play for England one day, perhaps as Stones' natural successor.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Turkish said:

We had some unbelievable centre backs back then. Ferdinand, Campbell, Terry, then you had Lesley king, woodgate and even Southgate all six of them get into this squad. Ashley Cole was one of the best left backs in the world, Seaman miles better than Pickford the others like you mention quality players. Thst first eleven beats the current one man for man much stronger team if they could have got it together rather than be egos 

But that's why that team never won anything, they were never a team and never seemed especially interested in being one. Arguably the biggest tick in the box for Gareth Southgate is that he's been able to bring all the factions from the various big clubs together and get them to embrace playing in a different environment. Other than Ben White, it seems as if everyone actually wants to be there these days.

In terms of this squad, while Grealish missing out is the big story, I'm not sure it's that big a deal. Sure, he would be useful in situations where we're protecting a lead and you want someone to retain possession and win free kicks in tight spaces, but his record for England isn't anything to write home about. 2 goals (the 5th in a 5-0 win over Andorra, and the 6th in a 6-2 win over Iran) and 1 assist in 36 caps, for someone with his ability, is pretty poor, tbh. He's not really done a huge amount for Man City this season, and didn't play a minute in the last three games which included the title run-in and FA Cup final. I did fully expect Bowen to miss out though, but when you look at the makeup of the squad, Bowen is really the only proper backup for Saka on the right of the front three.

Personally I'd have gone for Branthwaite over Dunk, but in reality neither should play a minute in Germany anyway so if that's all that people are getting worked up about, we're probably not in that bad a place really :lol:

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, stevegrant said:

But that's why that team never won anything, they were never a team and never seemed especially interested in being one. Arguably the biggest tick in the box for Gareth Southgate is that he's been able to bring all the factions from the various big clubs together and get them to embrace playing in a different environment. Other than Ben White, it seems as if everyone actually wants to be there these days.

In terms of this squad, while Grealish missing out is the big story, I'm not sure it's that big a deal. Sure, he would be useful in situations where we're protecting a lead and you want someone to retain possession and win free kicks in tight spaces, but his record for England isn't anything to write home about. 2 goals (the 5th in a 5-0 win over Andorra, and the 6th in a 6-2 win over Iran) and 1 assist in 36 caps, for someone with his ability, is pretty poor, tbh. He's not really done a huge amount for Man City this season, and didn't play a minute in the last three games which included the title run-in and FA Cup final. I did fully expect Bowen to miss out though, but when you look at the makeup of the squad, Bowen is really the only proper backup for Saka on the right of the front three.

Personally I'd have gone for Branthwaite over Dunk, but in reality neither should play a minute in Germany anyway so if that's all that people are getting worked up about, we're probably not in that bad a place really :lol:

It’s a shame about White. He’d walk into that side now. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Midfield_General said:

It’s a shame about White. He’d walk into that side now. 

Would he?

It seemed to be at Arsenal he played more at right back than at centre back, they had Saliba and Gabriel at CB who started almost every game together. RB seems to be a lock with Walker there, TAA also an option plus Trippier if Shaw gets fit.  I admit we’re very light at CB, especially if Stones gets crocked, but I don’t see Ben White as the answer there and I don’t think he’d get in at RB either.

Yeah I was thinking at centre back. If the choice to partner Stones is Guehi, Dunk or White, I know who I’d pick. I know a lot of Arsenal season ticket holders who all say he’s been very solid there when he’s played there. Very decent at defensive mid as well. 

33 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Yeah I was thinking at centre back. If the choice to partner Stones is Guehi, Dunk or White, I know who I’d pick. I know a lot of Arsenal season ticket holders who all say he’s been very solid there when he’s played there. Very decent at defensive mid as well. 

Guehi is a decent player to be fair, I'd go with him and Stones as the two. Ralph really wanted him a few seasons ago, but we picked Salisu instead (as he was a bit cheaper).

• Like 1

I think that’s what he’ll start with tonight, with a view to that being the CB partnership for Serbia. I really, really hope we don’t find ourselves in a position where we need to play Dunk. Still amazed he made the squad, every time I’ve seen him play for England he’s been all over the place. 

Just now, Midfield_General said:

I think that’s what he’ll start with tonight, with a view to that being the CB partnership for Serbia. I really, really hope we don’t find ourselves in a position where we need to play Dunk. Still amazed he made the squad, every time I’ve seen him play for England he’s been all over the place. 

He was all over the place for Brighton this season as well, they had one of the worst records in the league at the back. I think his time is drawing to the end at the top end.

I think he's firmly 4th or so choice though, he's just there to make up the numbers. Gomez and Konza will be in front of him.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Or a worked on cb pairing and a proper left back to give some balance, oh and not Kane dropping deep onto the area where Foden Gordon are and closing up all the space 

Edited by danjosaint

Will look a lot better with Bellingham in. Think people expect too much of Foden. Obviously can be fantastic but he also can frequently be poor

Posted (edited)

I know it's a friendly and at this point they're all just trying not to get injured, but my god, that was a tough watch. All that attacking talent on the pitch but still looked out of ideas trying to break down two basic, compact banks of four. 

'Trent' (tm) was particularly poor when he came on. Had four or five chances to put a telling ball into the box, and not one of them found a man. The hype around him is way out of proportion for what he actually offers. 

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Like 2

Another day, Kane buries that chance and Palmer finishes off the two chances he has and its a comfortable win. Probably best that England have this type of result than tonking them 5-0 thinking they are world beaters when they really aren't.

England missed Bellingham's runs from midfield into the box, all our attacking midfielders like to sit around the box playing little one twos.

5 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

I know it's a friendly and at this point they're all just trying not to get injured, but my god, that was a tough watch. All that attacking talent on the pitch but still looked out of ideas trying to break down two basic, compact banks of four. 

'Trent' (tm) was particularly poor when he came on. Had four or five chances to put a telling ball into the box, and not one of them found a man. The hype around him is way out of proportion for what he actually offers. 

He’s so overrated it’s untrue. If he didn’t play for Liverpool he doesn’t get in the squad. He’s an average right back who gets exposed regularly against the better teams so now they’ve tried converting him into a midfielder and he’s not much better there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Billy said:

I know, let's put out a disjointed team in our last game in preparation for the tournament.

Saka not fully fit, Shaw not fit. Bellingham needs a break after the Champions League final. Which team would you have put out?

1 hour ago, Saint Billy said:

I know, let's put out a disjointed team in our last game in preparation for the tournament.

Only Bellingham and Saka are being added to that team for Palmer and Gordon. Otherwise, that's our best line up. 

The issue was how they play. There was often no movement, and at times there was nobody wanting the ball. 

We don't get out of the group if we play like that. 

• Like 1

At least last night should put to bed the absolute horseshit about "this is the best England team EVER".

There's nothing, collectively, about this team/squad that is better than the early 2000s Sven era for example (there are other examples)

Jarrod Bowen or Anthony Gordon are not significantly better than the worst of those squads (Trevor Sinclair, say) they just haven't failed yet. And the best of that squad are no better - again they are less tarnished with disappointment. Paul Scholes and Stephen Gerrard would walk into that team, ditto Rio ditto Cole ditto Seaman ditto ditto. It's just the excitement of the future making out this squad is the best.

Good luck England but I am not expecting you to win it 👍👍👍

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Yeah that performance was wholly uninspiring. I thought Iceland looked the better team in most areas. Wouldn’t mind us signing their keeper.

Why? Their keeper had fuck all to do. 

19 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

At least last night should put to bed the absolute horseshit about "this is the best England team EVER".

There's nothing, collectively, about this team/squad that is better than the early 2000s Sven era for example (there are other examples)

Jarrod Bowen or Anthony Gordon are not significantly better than the worst of those squads (Trevor Sinclair, say) they just haven't failed yet. And the best of that squad are no better - again they are less tarnished with disappointment. Paul Scholes and Stephen Gerrard would walk into that team, ditto Rio ditto Cole ditto Seaman ditto ditto. It's just the excitement of the future making out this squad is the best.

Yep. I think people get carried away cos the likes of Bowen, Gordon and Palmer stood out in average teams, so think that they can shine at international level. Our back 4 is shocking compared to teams of old, ditto the midfield pairing (Rice is decent, and unless Bellingham is pushed deeper, he hasn't got a partner of note). 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, egg said:

Yep. I think people get carried away cos the likes of Bowen, Gordon and Palmer stood out in average teams, so think that they can shine at international level. Our back 4 is shocking compared to teams of old, ditto the midfield pairing (Rice is decent, and unless Bellingham is pushed deeper, he hasn't got a partner of note). 

Absolutely agree. 

35 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

yeah, but we now have "Trent"....in the words of Henry Winter. "he cares"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Good luck England but I am not expecting you to win it 👍👍👍Co

England Euro 2004

Goalkeepers: 1. David James (Man City), 13. Paul Robinson (Tottenham), 22. Ian Walker (Leicester)

Defenders: 2. Gary Neville (Man Utd), 3. Ashley Cole (Arsenal), 5. John Terry (Chelsea), 6. Sol Campbell (Arsenal), 12. Wayne Bridge (Chelsea), 14. Phil Neville (Man Utd), 15. Ledley King (Tottenham), 16. Jamie Carragher (Liverpool).

Midfielders: 4. Steven Gerrard (Liverpool|), 7. David Beckham (Real Madrid), 8. Paul Scholes (Man Utd), 11. Frank Lampard (Chelsea), 17. Nicky Butt (Man Utd), 18. Owen Hargreaves (Bayern Munich), 19. Joe Cole (Chelsea), 20. Kieron Dyer (Newcastle)

Strikers: 9. Wayne Rooney (Everton), 10. Michael Owen (Liverpool), 21. Emile Heskey (Birmingham), 23. Darius Vassell (Aston Villa).

England 2024

GK: Jordan Pickford (Everton), Aaron Ramsdale (Arsenal), Dean Henderson (Crystal Palace)

DF: Kieran Trippier (Newcastle United), John Stones (Manchester City), Lewis Dunk (Brighton), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Kyle Walker (Manchester City), Ezri Konsa (Aston Villa), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), Marc Guehi (Crystal Palace)

MF: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Conor Gallagher (Chelsea), Jude Bellingham (Real Madrid), Declan Rice (Arsenal), Adam Wharton (Crystal Palace), Kobbie Mainoo (Manchester United), Eberechi Eze (Crystal Palace)

FW: Jarrod Bowen (West Ham United), Anthony Gordon (Newcastle United), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Phil Foden (Manchester City), Harry Kane (Bayern Munich), Ivan Toney (Brentford), Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa),  Palmer (Chelsea

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

yeah, but we now have "Trent"....in the words of Henry Winter. "he cares"

A defender who can't defend, and a midfielder who isn't. Scarily, I think he could actually start alongside Rice. 

• Like 1