The Euro 2024 Thread

AlexLaw76

It's pretty obvious that one of Rice, Bellingham or Foden needs to be left out (or both of the latter two if you prefer Palmer).

Kane is best with runners off him. Saka starts because of that and then we need Palmer, Gordon or Bowen on the left. Our best player in that position is Sterling, but he's not fashionable any more.

The biggest problem is the progression through midfield. Rice is no deep lying playmaker, but is an excellent box to box. It needs to be Rice (or Bellingham) plus another central midfielder who can use the ball (not "Trent" and not Gallagher).

So it's Mainoo or Wharton, plus Rice or Bellingham IMO.

Once Shaw is back that should also help us.

I'd set up the front players like this:

--------Mainoo----Rice----------

Saka---------Foden-------Palmer

---------------Kane-------------

24 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

i did enjoy seeing gordon's first touch being a horrible miscontrol out of play. 

It was good to see him actually pushing the ball past a full back and going past him. As you said though - shame it went out of play. 

Last night both Saka and Foden played safe and never really took on the full back. Palmer came on and then started to create some openings, and Gordon had his 5 mins and did a great ball from our half to the top end of the pitch which nearly resulted in Palmers chance.

I wouldn't scapegoat Kane , he plays in a certain style which normally works but this slow build up tippy tappy means when they do go forward all the players except Pickford are , along with all the opponents , all up that end . There is little space and leads to more tippy tappy until they lose the ball. Saha hardly got a chance to run at the defence , when anyone got near the edge of the penalty box it was full of defenders . The Ex Arsenal commentator was repeatedly wanting quick attacking to break the defensive line , we were !

• Like 1

Also it stands out in this tournament how players are allowed to use any means to stop the opposition player , crashing into the back of them , holding and grabbing them , is the Prem this bad or is it because I'm watching so many games in a short period ???

• Like 1

Made me laugh this morning hearing pundits say that against better opponents we’ll have more space etc, and how Slovenia played for a draw.

Looked to me like they had better chances than us, certainly first 70 mins, and looked much better in possession. 

If we play like we have against a better side, it could be a cricket score.

• Like 1

Bellingham was shocking last night.  First touch was poor, second touch a tackle.  

We looked so much better with Mainoo, Palmer and Gordon.  I would prefer Foden in the middle so, controversially, I wouldn’t mind if Bellingham was benched.

As shit as Trippier is at left-back, the answer is not to play Trent AA right and Walker left.  Trent AA is a horrendous player.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Bellingham was shocking last night.  First touch was poor, second touch a tackle.  

We looked so much better with Mainoo, Palmer and Gordon.  I would prefer Foden in the middle so, controversially, I wouldn’t mind if Bellingham was benched.

As shit as Trippier is at left-back, the answer is not to play Trent AA right and Walker left.  Trent AA is a horrendous player.

Southgate has not got it in him to drop Bellingham (or Kane)

at most, we will see Mainoo come in for Gallagher with any unforced changes

• Like 1

On 31/05/2024 at 15:26, JRM said:

Yeah he's a good lad, very humble, been through some tough times in his career, really hope it goes well and he can become a top flight regular 

47 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

Foden doesn't want to get dropped like he did by Pep for not doing what he was told !

Well he could drop them all and use the rest of the squad

30 minutes ago, LeBizzier69 said:

Made me laugh this morning hearing pundits say that against better opponents we’ll have more space etc, and how Slovenia played for a draw.

Looked to me like they had better chances than us, certainly first 70 mins, and looked much better in possession. 

If we play like we have against a better side, it could be a cricket score.

Yeah I don't quite get this logic either. We had the easiest group in terms of team rep in my opinion. Serbia are a bit shit, Slovenia bar Sesko are utter fodder. Denmark aren't what they were in 2018 - but we've struggled so badly against all three. It's not inconceivable that we could have drawn with Serbia, lost to Denmark (based on the game) and ended up on just 2 points. (That would have been the fair outcome imo).

The logic that we will somehow now turn up against Holland confuses me. We were lucky the three we've already played didn't have the quality to really punish us, once we face that quality there will only be one ending.

This is flowing very similar to the 2010 world cup in South Africa. Two shitty draws against USA and Algeria I think, the final group game saw us booed up and Rooney slagging off the fans etc. The logic was similar then...facing Germany in the last 16, you'll see the best of us then etc etc. We were utterly trounced. 

It's going to play out the same here, and it won't even need to be a team of Germany's level.

• Like 5

The first ten minutes told me all I needed  to know to guess how this game would evolve. Rather than coming flying out of the blocks and making a positive statement England played timid keep ball in their own half at walking place. I knew what was coming after that and so it proved.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Wade Garrett said:

100% this, not sure what has happened to Bellingham, he seems to have gone Rooney 2010. I would drop Bellingham and Saka, play Foden in the middle with Palmer and Gordon out wide. Their LB got a yellow card early on for fouling Saka, I was screaming at him to keep taking him on but every time he just played the ball backwards. I don't know why but we seem to have so many players playing way below their best.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, iansums said:

100% this, not sure what has happened to Bellingham, he seems to have gone Rooney 2010. I would drop Bellingham and Saka, play Foden in the middle with Palmer and Gordon out wide. Their LB got a yellow card early on for fouling Saka, I was screaming at him to keep taking him on but every time he just played the ball backwards. I don't know why but we seem to have so many players playing way below their best.

Probably because we have the most boring bloke in the world as manager. 

Southgate wears armbands in the bath 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, iansums said:

Needs benching, might wake him up a bit and can't hurt for a rest I'm sure.  We have so much quality in this squad so it should be an easy decision to make.

Can't believe Safegate is trying to blame the fans now for creating an environment that's "causing an issue for the group". So nothing to do with your boring, risk averse negative tactics that are stifling some of the best attacking players in Europe then.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, rallyboy said:

I had a terrible dream last night, I was forced to watch a Claude Puel backwards and sideways masterclass on a loop - it was so dull I just couldn't wake up.

No, its still the same only Claude has changed his name by deed poll to Russell.

15 minutes ago, JRM said:

Southgate's approach does remind me of Russell Martin's tactics at times 

Dunno we averaged 15 shots per game over his 1st season with Russ, i don't think we've had 15 shots in 3 games so far in this tournament

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 4

99% of England fans are disappointed yet we won the group, job done 

The draw we’ve got means we cannot be playing any of the best four teams left ( Spain, France,Germany and Portugal) until the final. Excellent. 
In our side of the draw it’s Netherlands who lost to Austria. Italy who got torn To shreds by Spain Holland and maybe perennial non achievers Belgium. Nothing to fear. We will be in the final. But Spain look way better than everything to me atm so they’re my favourites. 
I support Italy as well as England and can tell you now that having a crap  qualifying group round and struggling through on minimum energy minimum effort minimum goals plenty criticism from fans even minimum points is the sign of Tournament  winners!  Italy make a habit of it so much - won the last euros and several world cups with bad teams yet great team spirit - and it’s not accidental. Portugal won the euros on back of 3  draws. And without Ronaldo. 
I think there’s many pluses out there for Eng fans so don’t get too obsessed with the nonsense expectations that England are Gods of football and all must kneel before us. It’s bollocks. 
England to make finals 👍

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

In our side of the draw it’s Netherlands who lost to Austria. Italy who got torn To shreds by Spain Holland and maybe perennial non achievers Belgium

I'd be happy with either Netherlands or Holland from that list.... ;)

• Haha 3

43 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

99% of England fans are disappointed yet we won the group, job done 

The draw we’ve got means we cannot be playing any of the best four teams left ( Spain, France,Germany and Portugal) until the final. Excellent. 
In our side of the draw it’s Netherlands who lost to Austria. Italy who got torn To shreds by Spain Holland and maybe perennial non achievers Belgium. Nothing to fear. We will be in the final. But Spain look way better than everything to me atm so they’re my favourites. 
I support Italy as well as England and can tell you now that having a crap  qualifying group round and struggling through on minimum energy minimum effort minimum goals plenty criticism from fans even minimum points is the sign of Tournament  winners!  Italy make a habit of it so much - won the last euros and several world cups with bad teams yet great team spirit - and it’s not accidental. Portugal won the euros on back of 3  draws. And without Ronaldo. 
I think there’s many pluses out there for Eng fans so don’t get too obsessed with the nonsense expectations that England are Gods of football and all must kneel before us. It’s bollocks. 
England to make finals 👍

No one thinks we are Gods of football, they just expect more from a team containing numerous world class and top quality talent. Your prediction of England to make the final is based on nothing other than blind optimism. 

• Haha 1

I know most won't agree with me, but when you remove all the noise around the game last night, I personally felt England played pretty well.

I watched the game with commentary in Dutch, so not understanding a thing they were saying, just made up my mind on what I saw from the game. 

Whilst obviously disappointed it ended 0-0, England to me seemed completely dominant. None of the passivity seen in the dross of the first 2 games and pressing higher up.

Big pluses in the performances of Mainoo & Palmer. Slovenia defended really well, so I was pretty happy.

Went online right after expecting a generally positive tone 😄 ..........  seems I have lower expectations than most!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JRM said:

Southgate's approach does remind me of Russell Martin's tactics at times 

Someone on the radio this morning liken his approach to football as similar to Geoffrey Boycott and Test cricket.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

No one thinks we are Gods of football, they just expect more from a team containing numerous world class and top quality talent. Your prediction of England to make the final is based on nothing other than blind optimism. 

Blind optimism backed up by looking at the not so much better if at all better performance of our rivals….

Fans of Germany ( need injury time equaliser against the Swiss), Italy - need injury time equaliser v Croatia , France (cannot beat Poland) & came second in group to Austria, Netherlands ( lose to Austria) and Belgium who lost to Slovakia must be tearing hair out by your high standard of performance evaluation. Are they all rubbish also? They all have World Class players.  They all have top class quality.

Only Spain have showed excellence through three matches. Maybe Portugal will tonight also. And we don’t have to meet either until the Final. If we can get past the bottom ( easier) half of the draw. 
By all means stick to your pessimistic narrative because England never actually win anything so, sadly, you are unlikely to be wrong - though with Eng fans like you it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy - but England are no worse than some of the other big guns and can certainly play a lot better - and have an excellent chance of making the Finals. Get behind them! 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, adrian lord said:

Breaking....Foden on a plane back to the UK to attend to "pressing family matters". More to come shortly. 

Mum arrested? 

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Blind optimism backed up by looking at the not so much better if at all better performance of our rivals….

Fans of Germany ( need injury time equaliser against the Swiss), Italy - need injury time equaliser v Croatia , France (cannot beat Poland) & came second in group to Austria, Netherlands ( lose to Austria) and Belgium who lost to Slovakia must be tearing hair out by your high standard of performance evaluation. Are they all rubbish also? They all have World Class players.  They all have top class quality.

Only Spain have showed excellence through three matches. Maybe Portugal will tonight also. And we don’t have to meet either until the Final. If we can get past the bottom ( easier) half of the draw. 
By all means stick to your pessimistic narrative because England never actually win anything so, sadly, you are unlikely to be wrong - though with Eng fans like you it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy - but England are no worse than some of the other big guns and can certainly play a lot better - and have an excellent chance of making the Finals. Get behind them! 

There has been nothing in the England performances thus far to suggest we will make the final. Granted we have an easier path to it but that's not a guarantee at all. It's not a high standard to expect more chances created and more progressive football. 

I haven't sought excellence in all three games. We haven't shown any excellence at all bar one Jude Bellingham goal against an inferior opponent. It's not pessimistic but completely realistic to look at the performances thus far and be unimpressed by them. When it comes to England I am naturally optimistic and will hang onto something positive if the team gives me something positive from a performance but there has been very little. 

I will watch and support the team like I always do and hope for the best but those three performances and particularly the last two were rotten and I'm not going to delude myself into thinking otherwise just because you consider that to be not getting behind the team. The team need to learn to take fair and constructive criticism just as they have lapped up the praise when we have performed well. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Midfield_General said:

Ladbrokes still have England as 4/1 outright favourites to win the Euros, and the shortest price you can get on any top scorer/ winner combo is still Kane and England at 11/1. 

https://sports.ladbrokes.com/big-competition/uefa-euro/outrights

What are they seeing that we're not? 

Foden apparently on his way back………….,,,,,,,,😂

Edited by Saint Gifford

Compare Fontes articulate explanation of football match versus Rooneys mumbling nonsense. It’s embarrassing. He speaks better English than Rooney does. They should hook Rooney off before he embarrasses himself any further. 

3 hours ago, Midfield_General said:

Ladbrokes still have England as 4/1 outright favourites to win the Euros, and the shortest price you can get on any top scorer/ winner combo is still Kane and England at 11/1. 

https://sports.ladbrokes.com/big-competition/uefa-euro/outrights

What are they seeing that we're not? 

Simple. France, Spain, Germany, Portugal and Belgium are in the top half of the knockout brackets, with lucky England in the bottom half.

19 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

Simple. France, Spain, Germany, Portugal and Belgium are in the top half of the knockout brackets, with lucky England in the bottom half.

Yeah I get that, but overall favourites? We'd still have to potentially beat the Netherlands, Italy, Austria and then one of those big boys from the other half. The way we're playing? Factor in a short price and it seems like an extremely unattractive betting proposition to me. But then I don't bet, so what do I know.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

The stuff about "right side of the draw" doesn't mean much when we are very capable of losing to the Netherlands and we will definitely lose to Italy.

Very true. What it does do is further highlight the point that for all Southgate’s “success”, he seems to land on his feet with the draws England seem to find themselves in.

It would be peak Southgate to grind out of the group, find himself on the other side of the draw to Germany, Spain, France, Portugal and Belgium and avoiding the Netherlands in the last 16 and then get knocked out on penalties by Slovakia.