The Euro 2024 Thread

AlexLaw76

Just now, saintant said:

You're saying he stuck his leg there deliberately I'm simply saying at that speed he would not have had the time or awareness to think about where his leg was. He was chasing the ball and managed to get between the defender and the ball - what happened after that was caused by the defender who, in desperation, almost fell onto Stu as he was doing anything he could to stop him getting a shot away. Anywhere else on the pitch and that referee immediately awards a free kick to Scotland.

Of course he had time, and plenty of it. He wasn’t between the defender and the ball, he was off to one side. That’s why he fell to his right as he stuck his left leg out in desperation. The defender fell on him because Stu tripped him. Anywhere else and Hungary get a free kick.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Of course he had time, and plenty of it. He wasn’t between the defender and the ball, he was off to one side. That’s why he fell to his right as he stuck his left leg out in desperation. The defender fell on him because Stu tripped him. Anywhere else and Hungary get a free kick.

Whilst I fully respect your opinion we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

Maybe some would say ‘shielding’, some might say ‘obstruction’

Opinions, eh? 😎

Obstruction is only a thing if the ball is not within playing distance. If it is within playing distance, players have the right to 'shield' the ball. 

2 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Obstruction is only a thing if the ball is not within playing distance. If it is within playing distance, players have the right to 'shield' the ball. 

Quite correct. This is something that annoys a lot of people, especially when a player is shielding the ball as it goes out of play.

However, shielding does not allow a player to block an opponent by sticking a leg across him.

There are a few similarities between the England situation and Saints at the end of the season.

We looked dead and buried going into the league game with Leeds. Martin switched it up to a back three, we won the game and went into the playoffs with renewed confidence and won.

Tomorrow nights England game is that Leeds moment. If Southgate can switch up the players/formation/whatever to give a good performance, win the group and go into the next round with a spring in the step.

Let's see if he can do it.

• Like 1

On 22/06/2024 at 11:26, AlexLaw76 said:

Of all the changes to tactics and players, you just know that the only alteration will be Gallagher in for TAA and everything else remaining the same

reports are the the above is exactly what is going to happen.

Lets see

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Croatia had at least 2 if not 3 attempts to run that into the corner and they didn't - I knew that meant Italy would score.

Did they not learn anything from Peter Crouch v Everton?

16 minutes ago, Colinjb said:

Did they not learn anything from Peter Crouch v Everton?

Three Lions Dancing GIF by England

16 minutes ago, Saint_Ash said:

England through to last 16. Not the most exciting way of going through. 

Tis like when Mike Bassett's England scraped through in the film after relying on Luxembourg winning to get to the WC.

For what it's worth I think we will win tomorrow but I don't think it will be pretty.

43 minutes ago, Galway saint said:

stating the obvious but donnarumma is some keeper. 

very ordinary italian side but a keeper like that will win you games 

Wouldn’t know.

I’ve not seen a decent keeper since… 2006 

4 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

I thought the penalty taker wasn’t allowed to stop/start in his run up ? 

Had the same convo with my mate in the pub and he thinks what RL did was ok. 

12 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

For me, Austria are so far the pick of this tournament. I think they're a cracking outfit. Really well coached.

3/1 to win against Netherlands- very generous. Bookies based on past reputation rather than the current teams

Spain, Germany, Portugal and France all in the other side of the knockouts now if England top their group.

With the quality of players we’ve got, we’ve got a decent chance of going deep into yet another tournament if we can get some confidence and the team starts to click.

• Like 1