The Euro 2024 Thread

AlexLaw76

2 minutes ago, Micky said:

Gotta be honest, I did think it was a pen though, I'd want it if it was us. 

On Stu? Never, he checked his run and threw his left arm out to instigate contact because he knew he was never getting a decent shot away. Good reffing, not falling for that.

• Like 1

Just now, Lighthouse said:

On Stu? Never, he checked his run and threw his left arm out to instigate contact because he knew he was never getting a decent shot away. Good reffing, not falling for that.

He got a knee in the back of his leg...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Challenger said:

Let's be honest, that was a dire team that played dire football.

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

Just now, StDunko said:

I didn't think it was a pen when I first saw the replays but seeing it again now I think Shearer is right, the Hungarian player definitely knees Armstrong in the back of the leg which causes him to lose his balance and go down. 

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

All of that maybe true but that doesn't allow the defender, who is the wrong side, to run through him from behind.  It was a pen. 

Probably would have been equally amusing if Scotland had won 1-0 and went home anyway because their goal difference was terrible.

But this will do.

Absolutely dreadful team. Both of them were. And people still go on about how "International level" is some special, extra, higher standard.

Is. it. Fuck.

That was bottom of the Championship stuff.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Probably would have been equally amusing if Scotland had won 1-0 and went home anyway because their goal difference was terrible.

But this will do.

Absolutely dreadful team. Both of them were. And people still go on about how "International level" is some special, extra, higher standard.

Is. it. Fuck.

That was bottom of the Championship stuff.

I was thinking that during the game. It was a really poor level of game. It was quite exciting because a win was needed but in terms of standard of football both teams would struggle in the championship.

International football isn’t the gold standard like it used to be, these tournaments are well below the knock out stages of the champions league in terms of quality and the group stages are generally pretty shit until The last games when teams have to get a result. 

Passing around the back with no midfield out ball. Then hitting it long. Since the passing about gave Hungary time to reset, they just lost possession.

Gilmour dropping far too deep. Even when he got the ball, there was little movement.

A few bright moments from individuals. None of them in the final third and none of them together showing that they could work as a team.

Stu was bright when coming on. And it was a penalty. But Hungary hit the post and looked far more likely throughout.

Another group stage exit.

Beeb said the Hungary player was conscious and stable.

• Like 2

O shower of Scotland...

Quite enjoyed the end of the game, no real quality but entertaining. Not a pen for me, Armstrong stepped across the defender and grabbed his shirt looking for it, just a 50-50 messy tangle really. Fair result, Hungarians 1 the "anyone-but-England" 0.

...and send them homeward tae think again

• Like 2

Adams dropped deep to get anywhere near the ball. Didn't/ Couldn't do much with any of the longer punts upfield. Also gave away a few freekicks in good positions for Hungary.

Going in, he'd have been hoping for a tournament that would increase his value to interested clubs. That's really not happened.

39 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Stonewall penalty that.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

Not a pen for me, Armstrong stepped across the defender and grabbed his shirt looking for it, just a 50-50 messy tangle really

If that's all that happened then I'd agree with you, but just before that Stu gets whacked on the back of the leg by the Hungarian's knee. Clear penalty (based on the slow mo replay)

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, trousers said:

If that's all that happened then I'd agree with you, but just before that Stu gets whacked on the back of the leg by the Hungarian's knee. Clear penalty (based on the slow mo replay)

Stu only gets his leg knocked because he stuck it across there.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

So what you're saying is if a player gets fouled when attempting to shield the ball from a defender, it's not actually a foul?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

So what you're saying is if a player gets fouled when attempting to shield the ball from a defender, it's not actually a foul?

I'm struggling to see how anyone can argue that wasn't a pen. Matey ran into the back of him and bought him down. Penalty all day long.

That said, if Stu didn't limp into a jog when tracking back after that corner, he'd have been better placed to help stop that goal. He was level with the lad at one point, went into a jog and the fella ghosted in unmarked. No excuses for that when you've been in the 25 mins and the other lad 100+ mins. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, egg said:

I'm struggling to see how anyone can argue that wasn't a pen. Matey ran into the back of him and bought him down. Penalty all day long.

That said, if Stu didn't limp into a jog when tracking back after that corner, he'd have been better placed to help stop that goal. He was level with the lad at one point, went into a jog and the fella ghosted in unmarked. No excuses for that when you've been in the 25 mins and the other lad 100+ mins. 

It didn't look a nailed on penalty as Stu put his left leg out , not on the ground at that point , to block the defender . It's easy to see why the ref thought it was just a coming together . So many players are looking for a penalty these days especially when the team are in a desparate position .

• Like 1

Defender didn't get the ball. Did go through the back of the man. Penalty all day long. The attacker has every right to get his body between the defender and the ball. The only thing not in Stu's favour was he had his arm up trying to pull the defender out of the way.

• Like 1

Never a pen, Stuey ran into the box to make it look like one and then backed into the poor guy who was a bit wobbly because it was hot there - it should have been a free kick to Hungary for obstruction, or for Stuey kicking the back of his leg into the guy's knee.

In fact the reffing was so obviously spot-on that we didn't even have to put up with VAR checking.

Had that challenge been at Old Trafford on a Man Utd player there is no way a penalty would have been given, no way at all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Phil Foden intervenes as Kyle Walker and Kieran Trippier have a ruck. I wonder if Trippier claimed Newcastle were a 'big' club and Walker responded by asking how many trophies he had won.

11 hours ago, StDunko said:

11 hours ago, danjosaint said:

So orbans knee didn't take out stus leg then, ok then

Yes, if you stick your arm and leg in front of a person who is running, you’re going to get a something in the back of your something. That doesn’t mean you’ve been fouled. Stu knew exactly what he was doing, it was clever play but didn’t fool the ref.

10 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

Should have been a penalty imo. Armstrong was clever in getting his body across and was caught in the back of the knee.

Just because it’s clever doesn’t mean it’s a foul. He’s clearly sticking his arm and leg out, trying to get bundled over. The ref got it right, so did VAR.

IMG_0962.jpeg

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, coalman said:

Defender didn't get the ball. Did go through the back of the man. Penalty all day long. The attacker has every right to get his body between the defender and the ball. The only thing not in Stu's favour was he had his arm up trying to pull the defender out of the way.

Never a penalty. The attacker has a right to try and get his body between the defender and the ball but Stu didn’t do that. He stuck his left leg across at an awkward angle and understandably got caught by the defender’s knee. If he’d concentrated on trying to score instead of win a penalty then he’d have had a better chance.

You could just as easily argue that it was a foul by Stu on the defender.

1 hour ago, Sheaf Saint said:

You can’t shield a ball by trying to trip up a defender. The foul, if any, was the other way round.

10 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

At the speed of the incident I doubt Stu would have had time or awareness to think to himself 'if I put my leg in a certain position and go down I'll get a penalty' Ludicrous to suggest he was playing for it ergo it's a penalty as contact was clearly made and should have been spotted by VAR. 

2 hours ago, egg said:

Not sure Stu could have done much - he's not blessed with pace and Scotland were trying to score from his corner when Hungary broke away at speed. As the Sottish female pundit said the guy in the middle should have fouled his man and taken a yellow card..

8 minutes ago, saintant said:

At the speed of the incident I doubt Stu would have had time or awareness to think to himself 'if I put my leg in a certain position and go down I'll get a penalty' Ludicrous to suggest he was playing for it ergo it's a penalty as contact was clearly made and should have been spotted by VAR. 

You really are naive.

Why, in your opinion, did he stick his left leg out like that at an unnatural angle?

Contact in itself doesn’t make any incident a foul. In this case the contact was caused by Stu sticking his leg across his opponent’s. An opponent who had every right to try and reach the ball.

16 minutes ago, Turkish said:

why was there an Argentine ref at the Euros anyway?

Yeah, I wondered that. Seeing as how this is a UEFA contest anyway.

I didn’t like Steve Clarke’s comment about him not even speaking english.

1 minute ago, Whitey Grandad said:

You really are naive.

Why, in your opinion, did he stick his left leg out like that at an unnatural angle?

Contact in itself doesn’t make any incident a foul. In this case the contact was caused by Stu sticking his leg across his opponent’s. An opponent who had every right to try and reach the ball.

You're saying he stuck his leg there deliberately I'm simply saying at that speed he would not have had the time or awareness to think about where his leg was. He was chasing the ball and managed to get between the defender and the ball - what happened after that was caused by the defender who, in desperation, almost fell onto Stu as he was doing anything he could to stop him getting a shot away. Anywhere else on the pitch and that referee immediately awards a free kick to Scotland.

11 hours ago, Challenger said:

Let's be honest, that was a dire team that played dire football.

It was so dire that the pundits for the Germany match said they would show highlights of  Scotand's game at half time but there were none worth showing. I switched to the Germany game after 15 minutes

• Like 1