The Euro 2024 Thread

AlexLaw76

14 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

Wayne as a pundit makes it 10 times worse 😄

I can’t get Glen at league one minus 10’s referencing Rooney as ‘ol Potato Head out of my head.

Edited by John Boy Saint

The mistake was to disallow the goal on field before VAR intervened. I'm assuming, as it wasn't 'clear and obvious ' then the advice is to stick to the on field decision.

Either way, the outcome was bollocks and wholly unsurprising that English officials were at the centre of it. Can't wait to be back in the Prem next season...

1 minute ago, sfc4prem said:

Just shows that it isn't VAR that's the issue, then, just the cunts using it in England.

One of the worst aspects of Englishness is the penchant for petite bourgeois officials to exercise petty, peevish power play through unnecessary bureaucracy.

• Like 5

It was offside the man is two yards off and right by where the ball goes and where the keeper would have to dive, would the keeper have got it, probably not but he was definitely interfering. 

Its the offside rules now that are bollocks offside in the box is interfering as the keeper and defenders have to notice and be aware of the attackers.

Edited by Bob60
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

Ha-ha the PGMOL crew chalk off a good goal after 3 minutes with their thumbs up their backsides. 
VAR has been so good up to now

It’s what I’ve been saying all along - VAR is not the issue whatsoever when used by professional people, I would halt the promotion of all English referees for the moment into the PL and Champ until we can cut the PGMOL tarnish out of the sport. Replace with overseas referees for the next few years to replace until we can get a non-PGMOL domestic cohort in the pipeline and pay a bit over the top to do it. 

PGMOL is rotten, I think there’s a lot more to come out about them. I didn’t pay as much attention to the PL last season but some of the decisions did seem to be very questionable and worthy of further investigation by the authorities. 

Now PGMOL and one of their puppets has been exposed on the global stage. No hiding place any longer. Overseas players has revolutionised the PL and Champ, time to open competition globally for officials to raise standards. 

Edited by Gloucester Saint
  • Like 4

Sums up the standard of English officials from Prem to step 5-6 and beyond. Every league just shocking.

His reaction was like a rabbit in the headlights, at least they have thrown away the chance of taking “control” in the next rounds. 

*I exclude kids and grass roots of course. But wouldn’t want the FA, PG and who ever involved in their future training. 

Edited by Saint Gifford
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

They’d still make a dogs dinner of this offside Ai VAR technology, which has been superb at this tournament so far. 

It’s coming to the Premier League this season - except it’s not going to be ready for the start of the season, so will come in half way through, and the Prem uses Nike balls rather than the adidas ones which have the right chip in them for the automation, so it’s still going to need to be checked manually after every decision. 

Another seamless integration of technology, nice one lads 👍

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Turkish said:

If Gareth Southgate was a meal deal 

IMG_4570.jpeg

He'd remove those crisps and put in a mouldy potato. That's rubbing alcohol in the Evian bottle, it's an experiment, because he's not been able to replace water yet.

Sorry but I’m still fucking angry. 

For years Southgate ignores TAA. Then randomly decides to throw him in as a midfielder in the middle of a tournament, without any prior history of it. 

Why do England managers act like total bell ends? Why? 

I think the law change on offside caused this problem , it makes the decision of offside a matter of opinion which of course is not measurable . Interference could be caused just by the player being in an obviously offside position making the GK at least think momentarily that it will be OK as it won't count .

8 hours ago, Osvaldorama said:

Sorry but I’m still fucking angry. 

For years Southgate ignores TAA. Then randomly decides to throw him in as a midfielder in the middle of a tournament, without any prior history of it. 

Why do England managers act like total bell ends? Why? 

Southgate has done this because…….

“TRENT IS THE BEST PASSER IN WORLD FOOTBALL”

5 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Southgate does seem intent on getting the sack

First it was if only we had a CM like K-Phillips

Now its our players are too unfit to press.

I think the problem is the other 10 players aren't used to playing in Trent's quarterback system. We don't have wide receivers running the right channels and our linebackers aren't blocking their zones.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Southgate does seem intent on getting the sack

First it was if only we had a CM like K-Phillips

Now its our players are too unfit to press.

The players aren’t unfit, they’re badly coached. 

They don’t know when to press. They don’t know when Pickford is going long or short. There’s no game plan. 

• Like 1

Kane certainly doesn’t look fit. You would assume that fitness levels are assessed rigorously and if Kane can’t press effectively at the moment, why does he start? The surface of the pitch and humidity inside the stadium wouldn’t have helped, but we were poor from the first whistle, it wasn’t as if we started well and tired later.

3 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Kane certainly doesn’t look fit. You would assume that fitness levels are assessed rigorously and if Kane can’t press effectively at the moment, why does he start? 

Kane is an incredible goalscorer and should start. Even in the last game it was him that got the only goal. He has a great range of passing too.

The issue is the setup of the team around him and the instructions to him from the manager. He needs to be told either to stay up top and get on the end of crosses and the cut backs. Or let the others do the running or drop back and have people overlapping who he can play in. 

Largely it's down to Southgate who has limited tactical ability. As has been highlighted time and time again he's still experimenting. 

He also lacks the ability to create a good team culture At times we're just a bunch of individuals, nobody fighting for each other or playing with a smile on their face. They aren't enjoying it just throwing hands up when it all breaks down.

These things can't happen overnight but I think with a few tweaks to the setup and the manager clearly setting out what he wants we can vastly improve. But Southgate appears especially clueless this time around. He should have gone after the last tournament. 

• Like 1

The system is so rigid and he bemoans the absence of philips or a replacement but if so change the system to suit what’s at your disposal. 

Sometimes crap performances are down to the players and the lack of a decent left back doesn’t help, but it was clear the players were confused as to what they were doing and were at times just getting in each others way.

There were two key issues. The absence of a functioning midfield. Can you imagine the carnage if we play Spain ? The second is we don’t have an offensive left side which is pretty crazy for an international tournament where we are supposed to be one of the favourites.

Realistically he only has up to two games left as manager so what’s to lose ? We may as well set up to attack and see where that takes us. 

1 hour ago, BotleySaint said:

Kane is an incredible goalscorer and should start. Even in the last game it was him that got the only goal. He has a great range of passing too.

The issue is the setup of the team around him and the instructions to him from the manager. He needs to be told either to stay up top and get on the end of crosses and the cut backs. Or let the others do the running or drop back and have people overlapping who he can play in. 

Largely it's down to Southgate who has limited tactical ability. As has been highlighted time and time again he's still experimenting. 

He also lacks the ability to create a good team culture At times we're just a bunch of individuals, nobody fighting for each other or playing with a smile on their face. They aren't enjoying it just throwing hands up when it all breaks down.

These things can't happen overnight but I think with a few tweaks to the setup and the manager clearly setting out what he wants we can vastly improve. But Southgate appears especially clueless this time around. He should have gone after the last tournament. 

Our press isn’t working and part of the reason is because he is often either not where he should be or he is not fit enough to do the required running. It is not just his fault but for the press to work you have to hunt in packs. I don’t doubt his goal scoring record but if a team is set up to play in a certain way and is easy to play through if every player isn’t playing their part, you can’t carry passengers. He was unfit towards the end of the season and doesn’t look fit now. He isn’t the only player we have who can score goals but we have to make the opportunities too. He has been poor in this tournament so far.

1 hour ago, BotleySaint said:

Kane scored because the ball took 3 deflections on it's way to the point where he was stood motionless, and as for his passing - it was his loose pass that created the opportunity for Denmark to score.

The post match analysis by Shearer and Lineker explained all that was wrong with Kane's play.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Kane scored because the ball took 3 deflections on it's way to the point where he was stood motionless, and as for his passing - it was his loose pass that created the opportunity for Denmark to score.

The post match analysis by Shearer and Lineker explained all that was wrong with Kane's play.

They did blame Kane but the blame rests with Southgate . Kane needs to play in his style not as some sort of target man which he has never been . Denmark set out to kick , shove , bang into Kane and others throughout the match .

Kane has only played 90 mins in the Finland disaster over the last month or so . It is a bit stupid to heap blame on our best forward after setting the team up wrongly and playing players in the wrong position .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

Great analysis. Very sad indictment of Southgate's tactics.

Yeah. Thanks for posting that Alex.

It underlines just how key that DM role is. A role Southgate seems to have built for Phillips and has been unable to move away from in all the time Phillips had been pants.

Not having seen much PL this season, interesting to learn that it had been tried with Rice at Arsenal, and failed. So putting out a side that has one player who can't do it, and who is also supporting a player, in TAA who doesn't want to even be in the middle.

Despite having taken players in poor club form, Phillips' plummet was too much even for Southgate. Mainoo and Wharton relatively untested, and it falls apart. I was surprised at Henderson not going. Sure, lots of negativity but Southgate has dealt with that before.

After game 1, Foden certainly was invited to cut in. We've watched our team deal with counters down our flank with our inverted fullbacks all season. We offer a lot more organisation and structure to it than England did, because we identify the risk involved.

17 hours ago, SNSUN said:

If there's any justice, The Netherlands will win this. But I suspect it has swung in France's favour with that disallowed goal

Has there been an explanation why VAR's operative disallowed the 'goal' ?

4 minutes ago, Totton Saint said:

For what it's worth, it was given as offside on-field - so VAR then needed to look for a clear and obvious error to reverse that decision, rather than the other way around. I can see why it wasn't given tbh

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Totton Saint said:

Something to do with him being in the way of any potential GK movement.

The offside law states: "The attacking player is penalised for preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the goalkeeper's line of vision."

Dumfries was offside but he wasn't interfering with play - however I think because of how close he was to Maignan and because of where the ball went past him, that's why it was chalked off. The argument was that Dumfries never played for the ball, and he wasn't that close to Maignan that he was impeding him.

But irrespective of whether is was a goal or not, the decision just took far too long. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Jose Fonte on 5Live now talking about Portugal, was introduced as the only man to win both the Euros and the Johnstones Paint Trophy. 

Get him in next year's Eurovision.

2 hours ago, SherborneSaint said:

Georgia looking great, especially the keeper. Potentially some bargains to be had?

Think bigger sides than us are looking at the Georgia 'keeper - Newcastle being one.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Saint Gifford said:

Sums up the standard of English officials from Prem to step 5-6 and beyond. Every league just shocking.

His reaction was like a rabbit in the headlights, at least they have thrown away the chance of taking “control” in the next rounds. 

*I exclude kids and grass roots of course. But wouldn’t want the FA, PG and who ever involved in their future training. 

Thank you for the last point. Grassroots football refereeing is a thankless task. At times last season in Southampton Yourh leagues it felt like I was a verbal punchbag because VAR made it seem that Referees decisions were not to be trusted. Even at youth league level u18! Players and Managers seemed especially empowered to argue every decision - instead of getting on with the game. 
I cannot see any incentive for anyone to try refereeing at present. Even at amateur level you are treated like shxx. For less than minimum wage. You get £30 for around 3-4 hours including travel to and from games plus paperwork online. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Thank you for the last point. Grassroots football refereeing is a thankless task. At times last season in Southampton Yourh leagues it felt like I was a verbal punchbag because VAR made it seem that Referees decisions were not to be trusted. Even at youth league level u18! Players and Managers seemed especially empowered to argue every decision - instead of getting on with the game. 
I cannot see any incentive for anyone to try refereeing at present. Even at amateur level you are treated like shxx. For less than minimum wage. You get £30 for around 3-4 hours including travel to and from games plus paperwork online. 

It'd be interesting to learn of the experience of grassroots refs in other European countries 

• Like 1