The Euro 2024 Thread

AlexLaw76

We absolutely need to give either Gordon or Palmer a go in the next game. 

Pickford 

Walker Guehi Stones Shaw 

Rice Bellingham 

Saka Gordon 

Foden 

Kane/Toney if Kane unfit or out of form 

That team should be absolutely smashing opponents.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Think you’ve inadvertently answered your own question there. The systems are similar in design, but England didn’t deploy the system very well atall. And there are similarities to some Saints performance’s - for example, sometimes there is no movement up top…anyone watching the last season would recognise this.

I don't know if it's my bias, but England looked significantly worse at passing and balls over the top last night than saints. Zero purpose in many of those forward balls. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Pickford 

Walker Guehi Stones Shaw 

Rice Bellingham 

Saka Gordon 

Foden 

its absolutely ridiculous we've come into a tournament experimenting with players and tactics plus talking about giving players a go who have barely played international football. 

10 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Pickford 

Walker Guehi Stones Shaw 

Rice Bellingham 

Saka Gordon 

Foden 

I came up with something similar earlier talking with a mate. Shaw needs some minutes next game otherwise again another wasted space in the squad.

image.png.f07b25eabc72544224cc483ad0c1cc51.png

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

its absolutely ridiculous we've come into a tournament experimenting with players and tactics plus talking about giving players a go who have barely played international football. 

Yep and Southgate has barely played TAA during his tenure and then decides he needs to be in the starting eleven played out of position whilst some of the promising youngsters who may be able to do a much better job like Wharton and Mainoo are virtually ignored. A ruthless manager would have done what is required to win. Yesterdays performance was nothing short of a disgrace given the talent at our disposal. I'd give Gomez a go at LB if Shaw isn't fit (which begs the question why we bothered to take him in the first place), I'd sack off Trent completely, try some combinations of the new lads in midfield (Eze, Gordon, Gallagher, Mainoo, Wharton, Bowen etc) if it isn't working with this lot and replace Kane if he isn't up to it. All this should have been done prior to the tournament starting of course but it's a bit late now. 

Edited by hypochondriac

3 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

I came up with something similar earlier talking with a mate. Shaw needs some minutes next game otherwise again another wasted space in the squad.

Latest on Shaw is that there is 'no ETA' on his return to training. So he's not even training yet, he's just a body - won't play a min I'm sure.

We're not blessed with LB's to be fair, so I'm not sure who else could have been called up - Tyrik Mitchell maybe? I mean that's really stretching it a bit. Our defensive options are utter shit, I'll give Gareth that as an out!

But...for me that means we just go for it. Our attackers are better than what is behind them, so let them win us games. Stop trying to 'contain' and 'defend' with substandard defenders at international level. At this stage we just have to go for it, but it's not in Southgates DNA.

If we sit back and worry about other teams attacking us, then we will lose any game against a top 20 side. If we just commit forward and let Saka/Gordon/Palmer pull out wide and stretch teams, i.e make them worry about us, then we'll be in with more of a chance of getting to quarters. That's as good as we'll get either way though.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, adrian lord said:

Shambolic. Southgate is vying with Sunak for chump of the year.

I'd say it's fairly likely that both will be out of a job by the 5th July.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Wokegate had a set of circumstances every other England manager would have given their right arm for. A semi final against an aging Croatia side & a final at home to an average Italian side. Then a World Cup in the middle of the season (not at the end of a long tiring one). With the players he’s got, the pin should have been pulled at the end of the last WC.

I was wrong about Lego head getting us up, and I hope I’m wrong about this chump as well. But fuck me, we’ve got Walker, Kane, Jude, Foden who are top class. We’ve got Stones, Rice, Saka, Palmer, who are nearly that level, we’ve got decent youngsters coming through, even the keepers OK.

Round pegs in round holes, front foot football, a bit of aggressive intent and without a Sunday school teacher managing us, we’d piss this competition. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Yep it’s fucking criminal.

Talking after the game about ‘not having someone who can play the Kalvin Phillips role’ - sweet jesus. Philips wasn’t that good in the first place and then has been absolute dogshit for well over a year. It’s not like he was an irreplaceable mainstay of the team who’s broken his leg on the eve of the tournament. To not use the million friendlies we have had in the 18-month lead-up to find the team, and to start flailing around ‘trying things’ once the tournament has started, is beyond belief. 

I’ve tried to support him but even with years to prepare he’s completely out of his depth and it’s embarrassing to witness. 

• Like 3

Stop Trentwanking in midfield. Play Foden to his strengths. Have width on the left. Give Kane support or pick a different player. And for fucks sake move the ball quickly and stop standing off opponents.

Picking Alexander-Arnold in midfield reminds me of the dark days where Elyounoussi was undroppable. It's an international tournament - we can't afford to play a man down. Lest there be any fucking doubt - the second you want to play someone at quarterback (a position from a completely different sport) you should probably compose a long and detailed apology to hand in with your resignation from being a football manager.

Edited by coalman

In my opinion Southgate broke some cardinal selection rules. Firstly to achieve a balanced team all the players must play as near as possible in their normal positions. Secondly bringing one injured natural left back was manifestly stupid. The next best English left back should have been included in the squad. Having selected the best team in their natural positions that would exclude, Trippier, Alexander-Arnold, Foden or Bellingham. Two top players for the same position. So pick the best on form alternatively change the System. Personally I'd play Rice and Bellingham together with a three of a natural left and right wide player and Foden in his natural position with Kane up front with instructions to play off the last defender. As Shaw isn't fit Trippier could at a pinch play as a defensive full back with a winger in front. 

We were woeful down our left side even when Eze came on he played infield so was inneffective. In addition our tempo was far too slow with absolutely no pressing, just retreating. We need to have a hard press and a high tempo. I don't rate Southgate and feel he is manager because he won't embarrass the FA.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Latest on Shaw is that there is 'no ETA' on his return to training. So he's not even training yet, he's just a body - won't play a min I'm sure.

We're not blessed with LB's to be fair, so I'm not sure who else could have been called up - Tyrik Mitchell maybe? I mean that's really stretching it a bit. Our defensive options are utter shit, I'll give Gareth that as an out!

But...for me that means we just go for it. Our attackers are better than what is behind them, so let them win us games. Stop trying to 'contain' and 'defend' with substandard defenders at international level. At this stage we just have to go for it, but it's not in Southgates DNA.

If we sit back and worry about other teams attacking us, then we will lose any game against a top 20 side. If we just commit forward and let Saka/Gordon/Palmer pull out wide and stretch teams, i.e make them worry about us, then we'll be in with more of a chance of getting to quarters. That's as good as we'll get either way though.

He could have done worse than call up KWP

• Like 1

I have to be honest and say that I wasn't particularly worried about watching the Euros, but I have to say the I have watched most of the games, and as a neutral I have thoroughly enjoyed them. They have mostly been end to end, full-blooded, no quarter asked or given affairs.......apart from the England games. By far, the two most boring games.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, saintant said:

Southgate is clearly a negative, risk averse man. With all the elite footballers at his disposal rather than getting them playing on the front foot and attacking in numbers he'd rather go for the safe option. It's clear he's told the team that, when the opponents have the ball, they must immediately drop 20 yards back to protect our goal because, God forbid, we let one in.  This means that if we get the ball back we are deep in our own half and every attempt at mounting an attack must start from there. It is a crazy tactic and one which should be saved for the countries with lesser talent available. The players must hate playing this way with the handbrake on and watching it is akin to sticking pins in your eye. How can players we watch every week demonstrating their outstanding talent be reduced to looking like none of them have ever seen a football and are gamely trying to make even a single accurate pass? It's a complete shit show and the blame rests with Southgate.

I think I know the man for this! 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I don't know if it's my bias, but England looked significantly worse at passing and balls over the top last night than saints. Zero purpose in many of those forward balls. 

That’s Pickford for you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Not at al biased, when RM's system really works last season's Saints would destroy this bunch of clowns.

Southgate has no system, he just relies on his key players to know what to do. Right now Bellingham is Mr Golden Balls but when he doesn't give a toss like last night and opts out of the game, Southgate has nothing left to offer except bewilderment.

22 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Not at al biased, when RM's system really works last season's Saints would destroy this bunch of clowns.

Southgate has no system, he just relies on his key players to know what to do. Right now Bellingham is Mr Golden Balls but when he doesn't give a toss like last night and opts out of the game, Southgate has nothing left to offer except bewilderment.

Don't think that's the case. The problem in my eyes is that he has a system and he's trying to force players into said system, which is a) nullifying their creativity and b) forcing him to stick square pegs in certain roles.

If he had no system and just let the players sort it out we'd probably be a delight to watch, but he's made us one of the worst teams to watch in Europe with his rigid approach. He's scared shitless of everything, probably even his own shadow. You have to take risks to win things, he will never take risks thus he will never win anything.

22 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

To be fair I suspect Bellingham is as pissed as we are regarding Southgates management. You can’t criticise Bellinghams attitude and displays for Real Madrid.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Don't think that's the case. The problem in my eyes is that he has a system and he's trying to force players into said system, which is a) nullifying their creativity and b) forcing him to stick square pegs in certain roles.

If he had no system and just let the players sort it out we'd probably be a delight to watch, but he's made us one of the worst teams to watch in Europe with his rigid approach. He's scared shitless of everything, probably even his own shadow. You have to take risks to win things, he will never take risks thus he will never win anything.

This has been on the cards for a while. We peaked against Italy, a game we should have won.

Now that we have different elite level players available, Southgate just cannot change his approach to make it all work. 

Suggesting that TAA in midfield is an experiment during a major competition is insane.

Admitting he has yet to find a Kalvin Phillips alternative (suggesting we are shite because of his absence) is utterly laughable.

This is without discussing why Shaw is the only recognised LB in the squad. Why has he not brought someone else in and played them in the friendlies leading up to the Euros. Just WTF!

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, skintsaint said:

ITs not roclket science. Thats the team. Foden and Bellingham as 10s with 1 x DCM. Its not as if we are playing Brazil. Saints would have beaten both of those sides i reckon.

Watching Saints win in the playoff final has sucked every last drop of serotonin from my body - there’s zero chance I’ll get any enjoyment out of watching England play. 

Edited by Maggie May

England win this tournament it will be despite of not because of Southgate.

And be in no doubt ENG can still win this - despite him. On the day we can beat anyone. 

What’s bothersome is that The England’s manager is one of the highest paid International jobs in the World. You’d expect world class insight tactical know how etc for the big bucks. He looks no better a Manager than when he was managing Boro, worse even. His in game management of last nights match was a shambles really. This isEngland not some bloody WR #134 nation. 

1 hour ago, wild-saint said:

ITs not roclket science. Thats the team. Foden and Bellingham as 10s with 1 x DCM. Its not as if we are playing Brazil. Saints would have beaten both of those sides i reckon.

Shaw’s injured. Trippier might look a bit less lost at left back with Gordon ahead of him though. 

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Turkish said:

This yank rules expert is annoying as fuck. First off what’s a yank doing at the euros? Secondly has she ever refferred at any decent level? I think not.

Totally agree, who the F*** is she?

12 minutes ago, Turkish said:

This yank rules expert is annoying as fuck. First off what’s a yank doing at the euros? Secondly has she ever refferred at any decent level? I think not.

It’s a shocking state of the punditry that they don’t trust them enough to explain the rules that they have to get a so called rules expert in to do it.

Shes not quite as shit as Peter Walton or Mike Reid but she’s equally pointless.

6 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

It’s a shocking state of the punditry that they don’t trust them enough to explain the rules that they have to get a so called rules expert in to do it.

Shes not quite as shit as Peter Walton or Mike Reid but she’s equally pointless.

I don't know who she is. I don't know what background she has. But she's knowledgeable about something, raising her way above the rest of the team. 🙂

10 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

Wayne as a pundit makes it 10 times worse 😄

D'you know what, I haven't ever really read, listened or watched much about Rooney in terms of him as a person.

Why don't many like him?

Seems quite reasonable as a pundit as I'm watching now. Perhaps a bit shy, but fairly insightful.

• Like 1