The Euro 2024 Thread

AlexLaw76

1 minute ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Another typical England display under Southgate. Get a goal and then just retreat. 

We've got no control in midfield. It's so fucking obvious but he just doesn't see it.

It's not going to be coming home this tournament either, is it ?

2 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Another typical England display under Southgate. Get a goal and then just retreat. 

We've got no control in midfield. It's so fucking obvious but he just doesn't see it.

Our goal was lucky from a mistake. We have no control over this game. Individually we have great players, but Southgate has not made them a team. We look all over the place. 

Edited by BotleySaint

1 minute ago, James said:

Get Trent off at half time. He isn’t a midfielder and it’s completely killing us. Positionally he is all over the place.

Trent and Foden off. Foden seems to be in a permanent sulk at the moment. 

Edited by BotleySaint

Just now, skintsaint said:

Guy has all day to strike the ball. Trent sitting on the edge of the box with the centebacks.

He hasn’t got a clue where to be when playing as a centre mid. He’s either right next to Rice or miles apart. It’s pretty rubbish when you consider this is international level football.

Just now, Lighthouse said:

Trent is the Scouse Jermaine Wright. Got to get him in somewhere.

All these so called “Hollywood passes” are completely overhyped as well. Looks like Beckham in terms of technique but never hits the target.

Just now, James said:

He hasn’t got a clue where to be when playing as a centre mid. He’s either right next to Rice or miles apart. It’s pretty rubbish when you consider this is international level football.

it's like playing with 10. He's not offering anything defensively, keeps giving it away going forward and has no positional sense. They've all been shit but for me he's been a waste of a shirt in both games

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Trent is the Scouse Jermaine Wright. Got to get him in somewhere.

If we're talking about shoehorning, I would honestly rather see Jack Stephens out there instead of TAA.

Same old shite. How can the fans see what we saw on Sunday and then the manager names the same side? Best players on paper don't always equal the best team!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

it's like playing with 10. He's not offering anything defensively, keeps giving it away going forward and has no positional sense. They've all been shit but for me he's been a waste of a shirt in both games

It is mind blowing we are persevering with this at an International tournament. It’s the kind of thing you’d try in the first round of the League Cup against a lower league side.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, saintant said:

Currently we look one of the worst sides I've watched at this tournament. They gifted us our goal and we've done nothing other than that. Making Hjobjerg look cultured.

Wouldn’t go that far. The midfield is so unbalanced. If we fix that then we should look a lot better.

• Like 1

Just now, James said:

Wouldn’t go that far. The midfield is so unbalanced. If we fix that then we should look a lot better.

Just my opinion based on what I'm seeing. This is walking football at its worst with no passion, urgency or dynamism. Driving me mad and the BBC panel agree.

That's a mess from England. Second best team in this match so far.

All over the place in defence. Shapeless. No intensity.

"Trent" isn't a midfielder. Trippier isn't a left back. Foden all over the shop. 

Crap. Pretty inexcusable to be that messy.

Edited by benjii
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, James said:

It is mind blowing we are persevering with this at an International tournament. It’s the kind of thing you’d try in the first round of the League Cup against a lower league side.

what has he done to be starting in that position? I know there is a lot of hype around how brilliant he is but has he ever had a good game in that position for England? I cant remember one.

• Like 1

Just now, Turkish said:

what has he done to be starting in that position? I know there is a lot of hype around how brilliant he is but has he ever had a good game in that position for England? I cant remember one.

It’s because Liverpool play a system where he steps out into midfield and can play passes from there. How that qualifies you to start in that position for England is beyond me? I read somewhere that he started 3 games for Liverpool in centre mid…

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Has he had a good game there for Liverpool? This is a player considered a liability in his natural position. Yet somehow he's such a genius he can stroll around and do whatever he feels like.

Given how conservative Southgate is this feels particularly mental.

No movement off the ball, nobody attempting to take up positions between the lines, big spaces left by Denmark but nobody bothers to move into them, giving Denmark all the time and space on the ball - if this continues we'll lose this game. Southgate needs to make massive tactical changes to get this team playing because right now we look pathetic - not sure Southgate has the nous.

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

- Ensure there are no strong contenders for the position. Who gave Phillips his gateway mars bar? Who told Henderson that the LGBT community would be fine with his move? Now you know.

- Establish yourself in an attacking role, in an attacking team. The media love an attacking full back

- Make the attacking team one that the media fawns over for 50 years.

- Even better if managed by bestest manager ever. Who could doubt his tactical genius?

- With the above in place, when you're found out in your original position, it's hard to be dropped. Suggest a move to an injury ridden part of the team.

I’ve tried to give Southgate the benefit of the doubt, I really have, but with the bizarre forcing into the side of TAA and the way they drop back, become passive and stop pressing every single time they score, against the most average of opposition - it’s becoming very difficult to see what he’s trying to do at this point. 

1 minute ago, coalman said:

Has he had a good game there for Liverpool? This is a player considered a liability in his natural position. Yet somehow he's such a genius he can stroll around and do whatever he feels like.

Given how conservative Southgate is this feels particularly mental.

he plays well against the crap teams but soon as you put him up against a decent side he gets exposed. Oh look he's coming out for the second half. jesus wept.

6 minutes ago, James said:

Panel blaming Kane for the goal when Trent is just standing there with his hands in his pockets…

Trent is beyond reproach- the pundits just keep giving him a free pass. He’s crap always has been in any other position than wing back. 

2 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

I’ve tried to give Southgate the benefit of the doubt, I really have, but with the bizarre forcing into the side of TAA and the way they drop back, become passive and stop pressing every single time they score, against the most average of opposition - it’s becoming very difficult to see what he’s trying to do at this point. 

He doesn’t know - he’s a defender doing defensive things.