The Euro 2024 Thread

AlexLaw76

5 minutes ago, egg said:

Yep. Palmer should be there for me, on merit and form. Arguable case for Gordon though. 

I'd give both a run out in the next two to see if either can stake a claim. Foden doesn't deserve a starting place based on his England performances. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

He is turning into a tired Wayne Rooney. Little movement and dropping further deeper.

like Rooney, he will remain in the side to the detriment of the team on many occasions

Bit premature to be saying that given that he scored something like 40 goals last year. He was poor today but too early to say if it's a permenant thing or not (and he almost scored.) 

• Like 2

Just now, hypochondriac said:

Bit premature to be saying that given that he scored something like 40 goals last year. He was poor today but too early to say if it's a permenant thing or not (and he almost scored.) 

The issue for me is that he drops so deep. At times he dropped into midfield and actually disrupted us. One time he tried to sweep the ball wide left and undercooked it giving the ball away. He wasn't helped by us being overrun in the middle though, everyone dropping deep, and a lack of service. 

Just now, egg said:

The issue for me is that he drops so deep. At times he dropped into midfield and actually disrupted us. One time he tried to sweep the ball wide left and undercooked it giving the ball away. He wasn't helped by us being overrun in the middle though, everyone dropping deep, and a lack of service. 

I agree with all your positives but one worry is Southgate still hasn't shown he can react to tactical changes from the opposition to positively affect a game. He made subs with stabilised things but before that we did nothing to counter the higher press and playing in our half from Serbia. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Maybe..: he needed to be a bit of a problem for their defender in our build up or when we needed it to stick.

not sure he was in any way. his pace and movement was terrible. Hopefully, be better next game

• Like 1

Leggy garbage from a majority of them tonight. Doesn't bode well at all

TAA a midfielder? Give it a rest

Foden deserves one more chance but if he plays like that again, then he could find himself out of the knockout side

• Like 1

Overall, Southgate will be pleased his tournament set up got a win, easing off pressure for the next 2 games significantly.

Few chances for England, as they looked to capitalise on mistakes, with their lead, rather than push a very strong, physical Serbia back.

That approach did mean we got to see some of England's weaknesses. We needed control and central dominance after the lead. TAA doesn't offer that, and Bellingham was given duties other than supporting Rice. TAA offered a lot of mobility, when some direct steel was needed. Gallagher came on, doing better in that regard, but it's not the best part of his game either. It's the squad's biggest weakness.

Glad I'm not the only one finding Foden to be droppable. Obviously, to get where he is, he must be excellent technically. But I don't watch much City, and he rarely drives England. He complained about others not controlling possession, but didn't do it himself. Gordon offers more direct threat.

Pickford had to make some saves, and the defensive unit looked as though it could be unlocked.

Enough done in an excellent opening spell to get the win, and onto the next match.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I agree with all your positives but one worry is Southgate still hasn't shown he can react to tactical changes from the opposition to positively affect a game. He made subs with stabilised things but before that we did nothing to counter the higher press and playing in our half from Serbia. 

Yep. Southgate's tactics and game management are probably our biggest negatives. Other issues are the lack of obvious leaders in the middle of the defence or midfield. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, adrian lord said:

A world class coach would win the Euros with this squad. 

A half decent coach would win the Euros with this squad...!  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, adrian lord said:

A world class coach would win the Euros with this squad. 

I agree. 

We are worse than the sum of our parts. 

We have Wharton and Mainoo yet he puts Trent out of position. We have palmer & Gordon he plays foden out of position.

Shaw is injured so he takes no other left footed left back  

Why? 

• Like 4

The only consolation tonight was the Goodens Gold in my local pub..

I know some of you complain about Saint's possession football, but the second half tonight illustrated what happens if you kick long. I think some of you have been a bit harsh on Kane: he was receiving shit balls with nobody anywhere near him to lay off to.

I'm not going to be all frabjous joy tonight, but I'll take the win..

• Like 3

Listening to TalkSport on the way to work just now and they ran through Foden's stats. Truly woeful. There's no doubt that he's probably have been in over 90 per cent of people's starting line ups tonight but he did very little and his place is in jeopardy. Eze, Palmer, Gordon - all those will be chomping at the bit to get game time and yet Foden stayed on for the whole game. As did Kane, who also did very little.

It's one of those weird results where people talk about the performance more than the win - effectively we only need a point from the next two and we're through - but that performance was poor. Fair play to Serbia though who got better as the game went on.

England Credit where it's deserved though, Bellingham was excellent in that first half as was Saka, Rice was great all game and I thought Pickford and Guehi had very good games too. Defensively we were solid, which at least lets us build a foundation on which to improve. But nobody will be scared to play us just yet.

Hopefully it's one of those tournaments where we get better as it goes on. I'm working for the next England game but I'm in the pub for Slovenia - and I'm looking forward to it.

46 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

Like Capello?

Did capello have this squad? He had a brilliant squad no doubt, but the other big football nations were strong. Southgates had a long period where we have had the arguably the best attacking players in the world and plays defensive shite when all the usual great teams are at the weakest they've ever been and we still have won fuck all where as a decent manager would have won at least one tournament. Southgate is shite and we have been there or thereabouts despite him and not because of him. Put it this way if he was ever linked with saints I'd be praying it didn't happen

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

My main takeaway here is the placing of a wing back as a defensive midfielder to reinforce us in the centre of the park, only for us to be repeatedly over-run there.

Southgate didn't get it right tonight. We still got the win though, mainly due to individual excellence from Saka and Bellingham.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Colinjb said:

My main takeaway here is the placing of a wing back as a defensive midfielder to reinforce us in the centre of the park, only for us to be repeatedly over-run there.

Southgate didn't get it right tonight. We still got the win though, mainly due to individual excellence from Saka and Bellingham.

Alexander Arnold shouldn't be anywhere near the squad let alone starting 11. He can ping a ball from time to time,  that's literally it. The pundits always seem to cream over him. He's an awful footballer on the whole

• Like 1

Foden and “Trent” should have been off at HT. Kane should have been off by the hour.

Kane will likely play every minute unless injured… yet we took 2 other strikers.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kevdoh said:

Did capello have this squad? He had a brilliant squad no doubt, but the other big football nations were strong. Southgates had a long period where we have had the arguably the best attacking players in the world and plays defensive shite when all the usual great teams are at the weakest they've ever been and we still have won fuck all where as a decent manager would have won at least one tournament. Southgate is shite and we have been there or thereabouts despite him and not because of him. Put it this way if he was ever linked with saints I'd be praying it didn't happen

I agree, I truly think we are in the strongest position to win a tournament in my life time. Jude is the best English player I have ever seen. Kane and saka are unreal. Just the talent in these 3 alone is more than most teams.

But yet we are wasting it with a manager who makes baffling decisions again and again. 

10 hours ago, adrian lord said:

“Holding on in quiet desperation is the English way…”

The time is gone, the song is over, thought I’d something more to say - is probably what Southgate what will be thinking during the semi-finals. Which is still decent but with this squad of players you want to see them control games more. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

I agree, I truly think we are in the strongest position to win a tournament in my life time. Jude is the best English player I have ever seen. Kane and saka are unreal. Just the talent in these 3 alone is more than most teams.

But yet we are wasting it with a manager who makes baffling decisions again and again. 

I can’t agree with that with the defence we have, it’s really quite average. Can get away with it against the likes of Serbia, but not against a top side.

I don’t disagree with the Southgate point though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

I can’t agree with that with the defence we have, it’s really quite average. Can get away with it against the likes of Serbia, but not against a top side.

I don’t disagree with the Southgate point though.

Depends. If shaw gets fit and up to full speed I think our defence is class. 

People underrate Guihe because he plays for palace. But he is mustard every time I watch him. Really rate Wharton as well. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

Depends. If shaw gets fit and up to full speed I think our defence is class. 

People underrate Guihe because he plays for palace. But he is mustard every time I watch him. Really rate Wharton as well. 

Guehi will be a top player, but he’s not there yet. 

I just don’t think there’s a comparison to the 2004/2006 team/squad.

1 hour ago, Osvaldorama said:

Not sure about that. Bellingham has all the makings of a world class player and is certainly not lacking in confidence but although Kane and Saka are class, I’m not sure if they are world class. We have a very strong squad but it is always about how you use those. It has often been said about Southgate that he doesn’t make the best out of what he has at his disposal and, again, our ability to win this competition will not be down so much to the players on the pitch but more  to how they are instructed to play. 
As has been said many times on here, you only have to look at the Foden who plays for City  against the same player for England.

Fair play to Serbia for turning their performance around after a torrid start, but, with our quality, we shouldn’t be hanging on and praying for the final whistle.

Of course it’s only the first game and Serbia are no mugs, but I don’t think that we would have many of the other teams worried by that performance after 30 minutes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Foden and “Trent” should have been off at HT. Kane should have been off by the hour.

Kane will likely play every minute unless injured… yet we took 2 other strikers.

On the plus side, Kane did clock his tournament record speed.... about 5 miles per hour.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, SNSUN said:

Listening to TalkSport on the way to work just now and they ran through Foden's stats. Truly woeful. There's no doubt that he's probably have been in over 90 per cent of people's starting line ups tonight but he did very little and his place is in jeopardy. Eze, Palmer, Gordon - all those will be chomping at the bit to get game time and yet Foden stayed on for the whole game. As did Kane, who also did very little.

It's one of those weird results where people talk about the performance more than the win - effectively we only need a point from the next two and we're through - but that performance was poor. Fair play to Serbia though who got better as the game went on.

England Credit where it's deserved though, Bellingham was excellent in that first half as was Saka, Rice was great all game and I thought Pickford and Guehi had very good games too. Defensively we were solid, which at least lets us build a foundation on which to improve. But nobody will be scared to play us just yet.

Hopefully it's one of those tournaments where we get better as it goes on. I'm working for the next England game but I'm in the pub for Slovenia - and I'm looking forward to it.

Southgate has been in charge a long time now. Getting a win, however narrowly, in the first game is exactly what's important to him. Of course, he'd love us to get more than that. But is happy that we take as few risks as possible, once that lead is in place.

The next game will be the same. England need a point to definitely progress. Southgate will be focused on that. And risks will be taken accordingly.

He's not there to have the side express themselves and attack all the time. He's there to get the side through. Which is what he's done.

• Like 1

Southgate might not be an excellent tactician and his game management is poor, but Christ people have short memories.

Under Capello we did have a weaker squad than this, but we drew with the USA and Algeria and scraped past Slovenia before getting trounced by Germany.  Hodgson lost to Iceland after failing to get out of the previous World Cup group, losing out to Costa Rica.  McClaren, well.  And Sven the only other remotely competent manager of this century was significantly less successful than Southgate with an equally top level squad.

I like having an England side that wins matches and my fear is when Southgate moves on we'll get the appointment wrong and be in a much worse position.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Southgate has been in charge a long time now. Getting a win, however narrowly, in the first game is exactly what's important to him. Of course, he'd love us to get more than that. But is happy that we take as few risks as possible, once that lead is in place.

The next game will be the same. England need a point to definitely progress. Southgate will be focused on that. And risks will be taken accordingly.

He's not there to have the side express themselves and attack all the time. He's there to get the side through. Which is what he's done.

Yes he is there to get the side through, which is what he has done. But he continues to be ultra cautious even when he gets through. Caution will get you so far but as he has proved time and again, it doesn’t necessarily win you anything. He could do with a bit of the who dares wins mentality at times. I think the general consensus is that what was important last night was the win. What is causing the alarm bells to ring is the inability to change things when it became clear that Serbia had weathered the storm. We were on the back foot for much of the game after the first half hour and the worry is that we showed no idea about how to get a decent level of control of the game back.

We have seen that so often with our own side. We start off brightly and score, only to let the other team back into the game and either scrape home or lose the game.

Southgate, for me, has always had the air of a plucky loser about him. If this is to be his last tournament he  now has the chance to show that he can be a winner. The signs were not there last night. There are huge lessons to be learned from that performance. Will he learn them? Given his previous experience in the job, he really ought to.

Edited by sadoldgit
Typos

5 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Why does TAA get called by his first name. Shearer did it the whole game. Personally, I like what he offers us, although he had a shoddy game last night - but the fawning over him seems a little much.

I'd also have liked to see Kane come off. I thought he played pretty well considering the service, but we do have other strikers in the squad that are very capable. If we need a goal, then you'd keep him on, but when we are leading and just need to change things as it was not working, it seemed a smart move.

13 hours ago, suewhistle said:

The only consolation tonight was the Goodens Gold in my local pub..

I know some of you complain about Saint's possession football, but the second half tonight illustrated what happens if you kick long. I think some of you have been a bit harsh on Kane: he was receiving shit balls with nobody anywhere near him to lay off to.

I'm not going to be all frabjous joy tonight, but I'll take the win..

That’s a great example with the second half showing what happens if Eng ( or any team) rely on longball too much. 

And it’s equally informative to note how Serbia started with a what I thought was over cautious low defensive block - which I think RM might be tempted to do this season away from home - certainly five in defence - because it was only a matter of time the Eng quality players unlocked the block and scored. Could easily have been game over at ht. And it could easily be game over for Saints at HT in some of these matches also if ( big if not saying they will just a warning) we go into these EPL matches with that inferiority complex in awe of those superstar players. 

Eng could barely cope with a technically capable but otherwise pretty average Serbia but who simply changed tactics. Same team completely different match second half.

Same for Italy v Albania second half. Technically superior teams Italy were pushed to the end by the supposed lower rank in second half. Same players just different tactics/mind set. Eng and It deserved to win but both could have easily been draws in part Due to the change in the opponents tactical approach - more fearless less fearful essentially imo. Something I’m sure RM is noting. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Southgate might not be an excellent tactician and his game management is poor, but Christ people have short memories.

Under Capello we did have a weaker squad than this, but we drew with the USA and Algeria and scraped past Slovenia before getting trounced by Germany.  Hodgson lost to Iceland after failing to get out of the previous World Cup group, losing out to Costa Rica.  McClaren, well.  And Sven the only other remotely competent manager of this century was significantly less successful than Southgate with an equally top level squad.

I like having an England side that wins matches and my fear is when Southgate moves on we'll get the appointment wrong and be in a much worse position.

Another thing continually overlooked is that Southgate has created an environment where players want to be there and seem keen to play for each other. It may not have looked like it in the second half last night (I think they must have all watched King Otto and football's greek gods), but in general, players seem to look confident and have the freedom to play their normal game. We've seen in the past how without this foundation we struggle to shine.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

That’s a great example with the second half showing what happens if Eng ( or any team) rely on longball too much. 

And it’s equally informative to note how Serbia started with a what I thought was over cautious low defensive block - which I think RM might be tempted to do this season away from home - certainly five in defence - because it was only a matter of time the Eng quality players unlocked the block and scored. Could easily have been game over at ht. And it could easily be game over for Saints at HT in some of these matches also if ( big if not saying they will just a warning) we go into these EPL matches with that inferiority complex in awe of those superstar players. 

Eng could barely cope with a technically capable but otherwise pretty average Serbia but who simply changed tactics. Same team completely different match second half.

Same for Italy v Albania second half. Technically superior teams Italy were pushed to the end by the supposed lower rank in second half. Same players just different tactics/mind set. Eng and It deserved to win but both could have easily been draws in part Due to the change in the opponents tactical approach - more fearless less fearful essentially imo. Something I’m sure RM is noting. 

England seemed to completely bottle playing it out from the back. Obviously there was a press in the second half nad we didn't want to get caught in their trap, and there is nothing wrong with going long when it's 3 on 3, but we went long for almost every goal kick and there wasn't even an attempt to ping it out wide. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Thought Rice was our best player.

Trent AA is a shite centre-midfielder.  Headscratcher that he’s preferred over Mainoo and Wharton.  Even Stones is better than him in that position.

Rice was outstanding. He basically covered up all of our shitness and got us out of jail on many occasions. I know it's his job, but he shouldn't have to been called upon so many times in a game like that. Unlike the others, including Bellingham, he didn't seem to tire either. Amazing engine.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Thought Rice was our best player.

Trent AA is a shite centre-midfielder.  Headscratcher that he’s preferred over Mainoo and Wharton.  Even Stones is better than him in that position.

Perhaps that’s a failing of taking two young and inexperienced players. No matter how skilful and promising, the manager doesn’t trust them at this level 

• Like 1

To get the best out of Harry Kane you need pacy wide players to feed off him (think Son at Tottenham or Musiala/Sane at Bayern). Saka gave us width but Foden naturally gravitates to playing as a 10. Which doesn't work when Kane also gravitates there. Have to say that expecting Kane to make something of the barrage of long balls fired his way is not playing to his strengths. Get the ball on the deck and he'll open teams up. Have pacy players breaking past him and he'll have space to play. Treating him like an old fashioned number nine and lumping it is just madness. Particularly against a physically strong time like Serbia.

Alexander-Arnold is not a midfielder. If you give him space and time to spray the ball around he'll look fantastic. If you put him under pressure he'll cough up possession. For Christ's sake play a specialist in that position. Playing a man down in midfield is inviting disaster.

Our midfield was too predictable. Nobody wanted to take the ball on the half turn and break (with the exception of Bellingham who looks like an utter beast). That made it easy to defend against us. There were no out balls either over the top or short. We were tidy for four or five passes then back to Pickford an punt. Then expecting Kane, Saka or Foden to compete for those balls (they aren't those kinds of player).

Foden had a mare as did Kane but we didn't give any service.

Rice was the glue that protected our defence. Without him we'd be in all kinds of trouble. Serbia didn't really have a sniff of goal for all their possession in the second half. The trouble is - we managed to create almost nothing. One chance for the goal which was a deflected cross. One cross from Bowen for Kane in the second half. We simply didn't play with any width with the exception of Saka.

But, it's tournament football. We played badly and we top the group with 3 points and a clean sheet. So many times England have fluffed their opening lines so it's nice to be sitting pretty despite being pretty awful.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Why does TAA get called by his first name. Shearer did it the whole game. Personally, I like what he offers us, although he had a shoddy game last night - but the fawning over him seems a little much.

They just want us to see how close they are to the world's bestest player, at the world's bestest club, recently under the world's bestest manager.

He has systems he works better in, and obviously is a good player to reach the levels he has. But playing him in midfield is an indication of how few options we have there. Offered no control, protection or direct attacks when Serbia changed in the second half.

18 hours ago, SNSUN said:

Was a good header. Now let's get a second and not be all 'England' about it.

I made this comment straight after Bellingham’s goal…

But the simple fact is that while we were poor on the whole, 6 more results like that and we’re coming home with the trophy. (Actually, technically, we could draw one of our next two and lose the other, still go through the group stage and then win the next 4 and we’d still have the trophy.)

(Actually actually we could not win another game and still come home with the trophy if we draw one of the next two games then succeed in 4 penalty shoot outs!)

It’s a results business ultimately… but anyway I do think England will improve.

• Like 1