A Fit Ross Stewart

I guess the club are being extra cautious and will slowly introduce him to pre-season, after so long out - but there's also the argument that he needs as many games as possible to be of any use to us at the start of next season, so I'm totally at a loss as to what we do with him.

We bought him last year for £9m, at the time it was a bit of a risk but we were told he should be back September time - but obviously that was wrong. This is a timeline of how much football he has played since 2022 -

Start of 22/23 Season - Block of games, started the Champ well. Then injured with a hamstring injury (Played 7 games)

Dec - 22/23 Season - returned for December and January, then injured with a serious rupture (Played 6 games)

He wasn't seen again until Nov of the 23/24 season when he was with us.

November 2023/24 Season - Two cameo sub appearances against West Brom and Huddersfield, 17 mins all in. Injured again.

May 2023/24 Season - Back for Leeds away, played 7 mins at the end. Played 17mins in the WBA away leg. Then we didn't see him again.

Overall, since summer 2022 (2 years ago) he has only been able to start 13 games. With an additional 4 cameo sub appearances for us in that time.

I don't see any way back for him as a top level player based on that output, his body will have lost most of his match conditioning. We gambled on his signing and it backfired as we all expected. The club need to move on and stop assuming he will be an option for us to count on at all in the PL. If anything, we need to loan him for his sake - see how he holds up.

• Like 3

On 01/06/2024 at 08:59, Colinjb said:

He was bought to provide firepower to get out of the Championship. He is no longer needed for that purpose. 

Time to move on. Consider this me writing him off.

I stand by this.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Colinjb said:

I stand by this.

Writing him off is a bit harsh but I agree it’s all a bit concerning. If he was fit enough to be on the bench at Wembley he should be able to manage 45 mins at Eastleigh. 

5 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I guess the club are being extra cautious and will slowly introduce him to pre-season, after so long out - but there's also the argument that he needs as many games as possible to be of any use to us at the start of next season, so I'm totally at a loss as to what we do with him.

We bought him last year for £9m, at the time it was a bit of a risk but we were told he should be back September time - but obviously that was wrong. This is a timeline of how much football he has played since 2022 -

Start of 22/23 Season - Block of games, started the Champ well. Then injured with a hamstring injury (Played 7 games)

Dec - 22/23 Season - returned for December and January, then injured with a serious rupture (Played 6 games)

November 2023/24 Season - Two cameo sub appearances against West Brom and Huddersfield, 17 mins all in. Injured again.

May 2023/24 Season - Back for Leeds away, played 7 mins at the end. Played 17mins in the WBA away leg. Then we didn't see him again.

Overall, since summer 2022 (2 years ago) he has only been able to start 13 games. With an additional 4 cameo sub appearances for us in that time.

I don't see any way back for him as a top level player based on that output, his body will have lost most of his match conditioning. We gambled on his signing and it backfired as we all expected. The club need to move on and stop assuming he will be an option for us to count on at all in the PL. If anything, we need to loan him for his sake - see how he holds up.

He’s not played a meaningful amount of football for 2 years so I think when looking at our forward options we should discount him entirely. Looks like a gamble that hasn’t paid off so time to move on and try and claim on the insurance.

We need two new strikers. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Colinjb said:

I stand by this.

Fair play. Just don't moan about him "owing us" if he scores 18 goals in the Prem, gets tapped up by a bigger club and decides to write the club off.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Fair play. Just don't moan about him "owing us" if he scores 18 goals in the Prem, gets tapped up by a bigger club and decides to write the club off.

I'd be impressed if he manages 18 games in the prem, let alone goals.

Mind you if he does get 'tapped up' it's likely that'll injure him for 6 months or so.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

You just can't rely on having him available for more than 5 minutes. With this in mind we certainly need two more strikers through the door. 

22 minutes ago, northam soul said:

Anyone read what Martin said in the echo, something along the lines of will play in a couple of weeks.

"They will probably not play in the games for another couple of weeks, I would have thought. I think we're probably looking at an under-21s game for Juan."

They're both feeling little niggles.

I hope Juan gets a loan move, he needs to play mens football now - and not PL mens football, somewhere a little easier for him to adept. As mentioned above on Ross, I just don't see any way back for him at the top level no matter how positive the club lines are.

47 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

As mentioned above on Ross, I just don't see any way back for him at the top level no matter how positive the club lines are.

Danny Ings had missed the best part of two seasons when we signed him. He didn't do too badly.

I'm not saying Stewart is going to or likely to emulate his achievements, but I think it's a little premature to say he will never make it back.

• Like 5

Clearly his lack of apps is a big concern but not sure quite why there is so much furore about a friendly vs Eastleigh in the 2nd full week of pre season.

What RM said in the Echo is he hasnt played much football for ages and clearly training has only just started again. They want him to have a block of four weeks of training and get him through that before a game scenario because he hasnt played games for ages aside from cameos.

The specific decision to do that seems pretty logicial rather than chuck him into a totally meaningless game way too early.

I have very low expectations especially due to the huge jump in level but will judge at end of Aug rather than now.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

"They will probably not play in the games for another couple of weeks, I would have thought. I think we're probably looking at an under-21s game for Juan."

They're both feeling little niggles.

I hope Juan gets a loan move, he needs to play mens football now - and not PL mens football, somewhere a little easier for him to adept. As mentioned above on Ross, I just don't see any way back for him at the top level no matter how positive the club lines are.

I realise Welington just got mentioned the other day re: this move.  But I always thought a Göztepe loan for Larios would be a good option.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

You would think after so long out every minute he could get under his belt in pre-season would be essential.

I know it was only the first game but to not have him on the pitch for even 10 minutes last night was concerning.

Sh*t. He was not involved in the Eastleigh game at all? 

Russ said in the post match that he could have given Ross 45mins as he’s been training normally but that he felt a little tight still and didn’t want to rush him back.

1 hour ago, a1ex2001 said:

Reminds me way too much of the Delgado fiasco!  I hope he comes good but I certainly don’t expect him to!

"I've got more important things to think about. I've got a yoghurt to finish by today, the expiry date is today. That can be my priority rather than Agustin Delgado."

I loved having Strachan as our manager 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

"I've got more important things to think about. I've got a yoghurt to finish by today, the expiry date is today. That can be my priority rather than Agustin Delgado."

I loved having Strachan as our manager 😂

Strachan came to talk at one of our referees’ meetings. He said that the negotiations for Delgado had gone too far for them to be stopped when he became our manager. I got the impression from that that he was not very enthusiastic about him.

It will be Lambertesque without putting the shifts in in the lower leagues. A season or two in the prem. Works his socks off and scores for fun. Liverpool come in with a bumper fee. He turns to shit overnight and never plays again taking a fat salary from the victims for the next 4 years.

Perfect!

Come on Ross, you can do it!

• Like 1