A Fit Ross Stewart

Can't find the original thread for when he signed. Was just thinking how he fits into our plans for next season. He's essentially jumping two leagues now with virtually no Championship football to speak off. What do we see his role as being next season? I think it's asking a lot of him to be a starter in the Premier League. Equally on the flip side we don't really know what he is capable of. I guess a full pre-season will give us an idea of where we are at and what the plans will be for him. Am of the opinion that the gap might be a little too much for him.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

He scored 10 in 13 in the Championship before his injury at Sunderland so that suggests he would have done very well without the injury (and we probably wouldn't have got him as cheaply as we did) and if Rickie Lambert is anything to go by (admittedly he was a rarity), there would be little reason why he couldn't have stepped up to the Premier League. However a) he did get injured so we'll never know and b) we've proven that signing high scoring Championship strikers doesn't always equate to doing well in the Premier League. 

I guess we'll have to see - he's 28 soon so he should be in his peak as a footballer but hasn't really played since he was 26, so I have more questions about his fitness than I do over his talent. However we aren't exactly blessed with strikers right now so I wouldn't loan him out, I'd keep him and AA and add one (or even two) strikers.

Edited by SNSUN
  • Like 4

I'd keep him and see what he can do as a squad player. Championship is a higher level than people give credit for, I think he might surprise a few. If not, ship him out in January on loan to a champ team.
What I wouldn't do is rely on him and Arma (and that's regardless of Che staying or going). I doubt he's going to stay fit if he's playing a lot, but as a rotation option he's got to be worth a go along with a new, more proven CF/ST.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, kitch said:

I'd keep him and see what he can do as a squad player. Championship is a higher level than people give credit for, I think he might surprise a few. If not, ship him out in January on loan to a champ team.
What I wouldn't do is rely on him and Arma (and that's regardless of Che staying or going). I doubt he's going to stay fit if he's playing a lot, but as a rotation option he's got to be worth a go along with a new, more proven CF/ST.

Pretty much this really. Worth giving him some sub appearances and playing him in League Cup games. 

Then if it comes to January and he's not being used we can loan him out.

Edited by The Cat

25 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Pretty much this really. Worth giving him some sub appearances and playing him in League Cup games. 

Then if it comes to January and he's not being used we can loan him out.

Think that's fair enough. If he can stay fit pre-season, get some friendlies behind him, we should have more than an idea of what he can do. 

As kitch said, I'd not be relying on his fitness and AA wanting to be central as our options.

While I do think Mara has learned a bit, it didn't have anywhere near the impact needed.

So, I'd look for Mara to go out on loan and bring in 2 players looking to be getting lots of first team minutes.

Ideally, one of those could be play across a front 3, giving us a proper Tella replacement too.

• Like 2

Ignoring Stewart, if Mara and Adams leave we have one striker, who is not going to capable of playing up front on his own in the PL.

We need to sign a new striker. That will leave us with "NEW" plus Armstrong. Clearly Stewart has a role to play in the squad. He's big and relatively quick and seems to have a decent touch. Punting him out on loan is pointless.

He has as much experience playing at a good standard as most people we might sign from France/Belgium/Netherlands/Scotland etc.

• Like 6

He was bought to provide firepower to get out of the Championship. He is no longer needed for that purpose. 

Time to move on. Consider this me writing him off.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

He is not going out on loan. Incredible people are even suggesting this

From reading various threads on here - there seems to be a rush to “send them out on loan”. The ones that are currently on loan (minus CA) can stay on loan.

4 minutes ago, Colinjb said:

He was bought to provide firepower to get out of the Championship. He is no longer needed for that purpose. 

🤣

22 minutes ago, Colinjb said:

Fair enough. I do see your point but, IMO, If he hadn't been injured and he had scored the goals to get us out the Championship, then we'd all be excited to see how he would get on in the Premier League. Whilst we'll never know of course but I don't think it's beyond feasible to think he's in the manager's plans next season. We will also have a tight budget to deal with and a lack of striking options (especially if Mara and Adams leave) so I think some of the players already on our books will be utilised next season - I'd be surprised if Stewart isn't one of them.

Where would he go on loan and for what purpose? He’ll not go to a Prem team to prove his ability and going to a Championship side will risk further injury for no gain to us. Think the best bet is to give an opportunity to recover and be ready for pre-season games to prove both his fitness and ability. Of course many players in the squad will not have experienced life as a Prem player, but then as a professional it’s going to be a major ambition to prove yourself at the highest level.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Colinjb said:

Some people here are always trying to be funny on here but with you I can't tell. If you're serious what makes you write him off like that, as there are plenty of players who have moved up divisions and done well? He may not make it, but I wouldn't be so dogmatic in your statements because they may come back to bite you where it hurts. There's always someone on here who will then point it out for you, although it's not the sort of thing I can be bothered with.

1 hour ago, suewhistle said:

Some people here are always trying to be funny on here but with you I can't tell. If you're serious what makes you write him off like that, as there are plenty of players who have moved up divisions and done well? 

Given that he has not played consistent football at any level for 16 months, and he has never played at PL level, anything from him would be a massive bonus. 

And, if i'm wrong, fine. 

Not a chance he gets loaned - it's going to be hard enough to stay in this league with what we have let alone loaning people out. He stays and fights for his place, we are not exactly overwhelmed with strikers right now and I'm fairly sure that neither the club or Ross Stewart will be thinking of parting ways just now.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Cabrone said:

Not a chance he gets loaned - it's going to be hard enough to stay in this league with what we have let alone loaning people out. He stays and fights for his place, we are not exactly overwhelmed with strikers right now and I'm fairly sure that neither the club or Ross Stewart will be thinking of parting ways just now.

Depends really, squad limit of 25 isn't it, if he's not going to be playing no point using up a place, up to him to prove fitness in July / early August 

3 hours ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Stewart won't be going anywhere, Russ loves him and wanted him. Also Stewart isn't going to leave before he gets a chance of premier league either.

This is what worries me with Martin. How loyal is he going to be with the squad that got us up?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

This is what worries me with Martin. How loyal is he going to be with the squad that got us up?

Good point. 

He has spent all season praising them, their bravery etc and keeps expressing his love and gratitude to every player every press conference. 

He now has to go from that to telling maybe a dozen of them or more that they are out.

Add in how much he said it hurt him to drop Mara from the final match squad and the personal relationships that form the signature bedrock of his managerial style I think this aspect is gonna be super tough for him.
He does not do dispassionate so to bin the players who got us to the EPL in favour of ones he considers better equipped - will be his toughest ever mental and head over heart challenge. Don’t envy him at all. At the moment of greatest triumph for him and most that squad some are effectively also at the end of their careers because of decisions he will have to make. 

4 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I remember us being pretty ruthless on our last promotion. Out went Sharp, Hammond, Harding, Chaplow, Butterfield, Connolly - all either loaned or let go, all pretty big components of our rise through the leagues (including our club captain at the time).

It does need a bit of ruthlessness when you're shaping a squad for this level, loyalty isn't always the best direction to take.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I remember us being pretty ruthless on our last promotion. Out went Sharp, Hammond, Harding, Chaplow, Butterfield, Connolly - all either loaned or let go, all pretty big components of our rise through the leagues (including our club captain at the time).

It does need a bit of ruthlessness when you're shaping a squad for this level, loyalty isn't always the best direction to take.

True enough, although I think it's prudent to be wary that next year we could be back in the Championship wishing we had lower earning or squad players to fall back on - similar to how Stu became key this year, Aribo, Bednarek, Stephens, etc were all fringe players (or loaned out) last Premier League season and yet were first teamers this season just gone. If we go down we will probably lose KWP, Downes (potentially), THB, maybe AA and Bednarek etc and suddenly those squad players become important again. Although I agree we should get rid of non-playing big earners if possible.

I'm not saying we should prepare to fail but it should be in the back of our minds, at least for this season when staying up is the main aim.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

True, but we had the king of ruthlessness Cortese in charge back then.

• Like 1

Been watching Sunderland 'Til I Die on Netflix last few days (close season football starvation already starting to bite), and found the pitch level match segments and interviews with Ross Stewart in the later episodes really interesting.  For a tall somewhat rangy player he seems to have a really good touch and turn of speed, plus determination and some grit in terms of being able to hold off defenders and go one to one with keepers.  This appears to be combined with positive modest character (in the interviews).  We've not been able to assess these attributes due to the frustrating injury, but if he gets back close to where he was I can see why Martin and Saints would give him a chance at this level before potentially throwing the baby out with the bathwater.  Stay fit and I think he'll be on the subs bench as an option come August.    

• Like 5

On 02/06/2024 at 11:07, Miltonaggro said:

Been watching Sunderland 'Til I Die on Netflix last few days (close season football starvation already starting to bite), and found the pitch level match segments and interviews with Ross Stewart in the later episodes really interesting.  For a tall somewhat rangy player he seems to have a really good touch and turn of speed, plus determination and some grit in terms of being able to hold off defenders and go one to one with keepers.  This appears to be combined with positive modest character (in the interviews).  We've not been able to assess these attributes due to the frustrating injury, but if he gets back close to where he was I can see why Martin and Saints would give him a chance at this level before potentially throwing the baby out with the bathwater.  Stay fit and I think he'll be on the subs bench as an option come August.    

Everything I've read and seen suggests that Stewart would have smashed it for us at Championship level if he hadn't picked up that second injury. 😔 

Of course the jump to PL is a worry but from what I've seen there is a possibility he could work out there. We've seen strikers from the lower leagues go up in un-fancied teams and do well. Lambert, Vardy & Ivan Toney immediately spring to mind. He also seems to be the kind of player who is determined, quietly good, and just what we need. KWP style if you like.  I really hope it works out for us and him.

• Like 3

The problem with Ross is that I fail to see how he will be able to get up to speed and get the mins he needs for us next season, we will get a new first choice striker or 2 without question - so Ross will have to be in and around the squad, I don't think that'll help someone who hasn't played in any decent regularity for at least 18 months.

I think for his sake so he can build his body back up again, he needs to play every week - get him out on loan and we can then asses him the next summer. That would be my call if I was in charge.

• Confused 2

19 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

The problem with Ross is that I fail to see how he will be able to get up to speed and get the mins he needs for us next season, we will get a new first choice striker or 2 without question - so Ross will have to be in and around the squad, I don't think that'll help someone who hasn't played in any decent regularity for at least 18 months.

I think for his sake so he can build his body back up again, he needs to play every week - get him out on loan and we can then asses him the next summer. That would be my call if I was in charge.

With Adams leaving and Mara surely likely to as well, I think Stewart will certainly be in the core first team squad assuming he stays fit and would imagine he gets a decent amount of minutes.

I would definitely be keeping him until January at least, we need all the available options we can get and at the very least might as well see what he has got - he looks to have the type of attributes that suggest he might be capable of making the step.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dusic said:

With Adams leaving and Mara surely likely to as well, I think Stewart will certainly be in the core first team squad assuming he stays fit and would imagine he gets a decent amount of minutes.

I would definitely be keeping him until January at least, we need all the available options we can get and at the very least might as well see what he has got - he looks to have the type of attributes that suggest he might be capable of making the step.

My main argument is that he needs lots of minutes and lots of games to build back up, I don't think he'll get that from day 1 here. He's not done enough to be our starting first choice CF next season, if he does start then something has gone horrifically wrong in our recruitment. I think our plan is to sign new strikers, so come the end of the window I think we may look at a loan - just to get him back match fit again. It's for his benefit as well as ours really.

If he keeps making sporadic appearances here and there he'll keep getting knocks, given the time he's been out. (As we've seen).

3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

He'll have a full pre-season training and friendly games to demonstrate his fitness and skill levels. If he's got what it takes he'll make his own case and RM will have to give him game time. I just have a sneaky feeling he will be ready and raring to go come the start of the season. The guy deserves some luck for sure.

• Like 11

On 01/06/2024 at 16:28, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Not sure he has it in him to ditch players that aren't good enough at premier league level, Stephens, manning, sullemana, mara aribo, bree and even AA to name a few.  Stick with these and we are straight back down! 

8 hours ago, Mr X said:

Not sure he has it in him to ditch players that aren't good enough at premier league level, Stephens, manning, sullemana, mara aribo, bree and even AA to name a few.  Stick with these and we are straight back down! 

I'm hoping AA and Aribo will be different beasts this time round, AA full of confidence and Aribo having found his position and place with some decent displays from midfield. The rest will be no more than squad players so we just have to hope we strengthen the first team effectively.

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

A fit Ross is less likely than a real life Nessie sighting. 

Just remember that this is a real life person who plays for a team we all support, and who had a stellar reputation at Sunderland. Can we not give him the benefit of the doubt for pre-season friendlies and a couple of months of the season before completely writing him off?!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Just remember that this is a real life person who plays for a team we all support, and who had a stellar reputation at Sunderland. Can we not give him the benefit of the doubt for pre-season friendlies and a couple of months of the season before completely writing him off?!

I'm sure he's just gutted by a lighthearted comment on a Web forum. 

• 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

So far, using 1/3 of his transfer fee (3 year contract) plus his £20k per week salary, he has cost us £46k per minute played.

Probably not the best return on our investment.

It's just great we got promoted. Imagine how much worse it would be if we'd spunked all that cash and not gone up. We got away with one there. 

On 10/06/2024 at 15:18, Patches O Houlihan said:

I have completely written him off.

You would think after so long out every minute he could get under his belt in pre-season would be essential.

I know it was only the first game but to not have him on the pitch for even 10 minutes last night was concerning.