Armando Broja

Matthew Le God

18 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

You don't say! Only because Adams is injured and we all know that Che, given exactly the same chance as Broja, would have smashed the ball straight at the keeper.

Don''t think it's clear that Ralph would have started Adams if he'd been fit. Also  It was hardly some suave finish from Broja, it was a smashed foot down the middle ball, which is typical of Adams

Edited by Baird of the land

2 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

Don''t think it's clear that Ralph would have started Adams if he'd been fit. Also  It was hardly some suave finish from Broja, it was a smashed foot down the middle ball, which is typical of Adams

We'll have to disagree because I saw far more finesse than a smashed foot down the middle.

Edited by Teddeer
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

It was a good finish, keeper spreading himself coming out closing the angle, he knew he had to lift, seen those hit straight at the keeper or smashed over bar many times before.

• Like 2

Just now, Give it to Ron said:

Or a second year loan if not don’t think he would get games at Chelsea and hopefully enjoys it here.

Second year loan is a good shout, that happens quite often to Chelsea kids. This is a good place for him to establish himself for a couple of years. (as long as we stay up of course!)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Broja signed a 5 year extension to his Chelsea contract under a month before Saints signed him. So Saints were never going to get a buy clause in the loan deal this summer.

Yes I know Matthew. All I said was I hope we can make it permanent and we tried to in the summer. Go back to your geek off with TW War

Edited by Turkish

51 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Second year loan is a good shout, that happens quite often to Chelsea kids. This is a good place for him to establish himself for a couple of years. (as long as we stay up of course!)

Hopefully Chelsea are developing other young players to replace him at Saints when he moves on.

2nd loan probably the best we could hope for.  No need for Chelsea to sell on the cheap, no real need for Broja to push from his side and the fee they would want will probably be beyond us sadly.

He must be seen as a £15-£20m asset already and that will only increase.

It's a little bit sad that possibly our best striker is a loanee. I'd much prefer that a loan signing is someone that you bring on to support the main strike force. 

Doubt we could afford him anyway so this is probably the best option. I hope that Adam Armstrong starts scoring regularly soon. 

18 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

Looks a proper striker to me, we haven’t got any others given we don’t play to Armstrong’s strengths. Christ knows why it’s taken Ralph so long to start him but I’ve stopped trying to work out his decisions long ago.

He is certainly going to be some player and is already displaying very good attributes. But it isn't really hard to understand why he hasn't been thrust into the league starting line ups before yesterday (maybe Wolves match aside). I say league because, of course, started both cup matches. In one he grabbed 2 decent goals; in the other he was non-effective. So 50/50 there. But let's look at the league matches:

First 2 vs Everton and Man Utd- wasn't ready. Not even in the match day squads.

3rd Vs Newcastle - Would have been harsh to drop either Arma or Che, who had scored/were responsible for both our league goals in the previous matches. Brought on for last 20 minutes when we were 1-0 down. Did nothing of note except miss the header from Redders' cross which then fell to Moi to score. The much complained about Redmond assisted the goal and provided the through ball for Arma to win the penalty.

4th Vs West Ham - Brought on for last 15 minutes and so nearly won us the match when he hit the post and had a header cleared off the line. A great performance against a tired and slow West Ham defence.

5th Vs Man City - Could be argued that he deserved a start after his cameo against the Irons, but think that may have been a big ask. First league start away at the Champions who had been putting 5 or 6 past all other opposition at the Etihad? Also, who deserved to be dropped given pervious performances and our tactics for that match? Hard to argue that Ralph didn't get everything spot on for that match. Broja was brought on for the final 20/25 minutes, but again did nothing of note. Arma was the more threatening.

6th Vs Wolves - As I said above, it could be argued that he should have started this match (in hindsight). That said, it was immediately after his non-performance at Sheffield in the cup and when he was brought on, for the last 25-30 minutes, he proved as ineffective in front of goal as the rest.

7th Vs Chelsea - Not allowed to play against his parent club.

On top of all this: he is only 20; his only previous experience in the Premier League before coming here was as a last 5 minute sub for Chelsea the season before last; had a decent return of 10 goals in 30 matches for Vitesse last season, but that is hardly prolific (most certainly nowhere near the level of goals scored by Che and Arma before they joined us); and not even mentioning the fact that Ralph gets to see all these players train day in/day out. Oh, and Armando even acknowledged in his interview yesterday that he hadn't always been putting in as much effort in training as he should have (by his reference to the senior players telling him so and taking their words onboard). But the above is just my opinion. Let me know which of the points above you disagree with and why. It's always good to know how others see things with their reasons. Certainly better than people just saying 'well, because that's what I think' without really backing their opinion up with anything other than their opinion.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Minsk said:

He is certainly going to be some player and is already displaying very good attributes. But it isn't really hard to understand why he hasn't been thrust into the league starting line ups before yesterday (maybe Wolves match aside). I say league because, of course, started both cup matches. In one he grabbed 2 decent goals; in the other he was non-effective. So 50/50 there. But let's look at the league matches:

First 2 vs Everton and Man Utd- wasn't ready. Not even in the match day squads.

3rd Vs Newcastle - Would have been harsh to drop either Arma or Che, who had scored/were responsible for both our league goals in the previous matches. Brought on for last 20 minutes when we were 1-0 down. Did nothing of note except miss the header from Redders' cross which then fell to Moi to score. The much complained about Redmond assisted the goal and provided the through ball for Arma to win the penalty.

4th Vs West Ham - Brought on for last 15 minutes and so nearly won us the match when he hit the post and had a header cleared off the line. A great performance against a tired and slow West Ham defence.

5th Vs Man City - Could be argued that he deserved a start after his cameo against the Irons, but think that may have been a big ask. First league start away at the Champions who had been putting 5 or 6 past all other opposition at the Etihad? Also, who deserved to be dropped given pervious performances and our tactics for that match? Hard to argue that Ralph didn't get everything spot on for that match. Broja was brought on for the final 20/25 minutes, but again did nothing of note. Arma was the more threatening.

6th Vs Wolves - As I said above, it could be argued that he should have started this match (in hindsight). That said, it was immediately after his non-performance at Sheffield in the cup and when he was brought on, for the last 25-30 minutes, he proved as ineffective in front of goal as the rest.

7th Vs Chelsea - Not allowed to play against his parent club.

On top of all this: he is only 20; his only previous experience in the Premier League before coming here was as a last 5 minute sub for Chelsea the season before last; had a decent return of 10 goals in 30 matches for Vitesse last season, but that is hardly prolific (most certainly nowhere near the level of goals scored by Che and Arma before they joined us); and not even mentioning the fact that Ralph gets to see all these players train day in/day out. Oh, and Armando even acknowledged in his interview yesterday that he hadn't always been putting in as much effort in training as he should have (by his reference to the senior players telling him so and taking their words onboard). But the above is just my opinion. Let me know which of the points above you disagree with and why. It's always good to know how others see things with their reasons. Certainly better than people just saying 'well, because that's what I think' without really backing their opinion up with anything other than their opinion.

Yeah but apart from that, why hasn't Ralph been starting him?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Chelsea fans asking the club to recall Broja after injuries to Lukaku and Werner. Fortunately for us it seems that, even if they wanted to, they'd have to wait until January

I imagine it's kneejerk from their fans after seeing saw Broja score the other day.  Chelsea still have good options otherwise Broja wouldn't be here.  By January I imagine they'll both have recovered.  

19 minutes ago, Manuel said:

I imagine it's kneejerk from their fans after seeing saw Broja score the other day.  Chelsea still have good options otherwise Broja wouldn't be here.  By January I imagine they'll both have recovered.  

When you loan someone out for a full season there js no recall clause

• Like 2

How is he doing this bloke who is only good enough to be an impact sub? I know he's apparently not in the same league as AA and Che because he is raw and has so much to learn. I guess he's had his chance, not taken it, and should be back on the bench next week? 

1 hour ago, Teddeer said:

How is he doing this bloke who is only good enough to be an impact sub? I know he's apparently not in the same league as AA and Che because he is raw and has so much to learn. I guess he's had his chance, not taken it, and should be back on the bench next week? 

Knowing Ralph, he probably will.

On 21/10/2021 at 19:45, stevy777_x said:

Yes,   I believe if Chelsea wanted him back in January they would have to buy out the loan, in other words pay Southampton a transfer fee……

2 hours ago, Teddeer said:

Just maybe, as I posted above, Ralph has man-managed him perfectly? Easing him in with game time where appropriate before handing him a full debut which Ralph admitted himself 'he grabbed with both hands'.

Very happy for Armando. Well done to Ralph too, for the way he has managed him. I doubt we would be seeing the same result had Ralph thrown him straight in at Everton, when he wasn't ready....... Oh, and please quote all these posters who have stated that he's 'not in the same league as AA and Che because he is raw and has so much to learn'. I must have missed them.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, CAH61 said:

It'll be interesting if he can score more this season than Danny Ings, his finishes so far says that he is a natural goal predator.

I was thinking this y’day - hasn’t Ings got 3 this season, played most games?

Broja has had what 3 starts, 2 goals?  He was pretty good Saturday, although I’d still like him to be paired with AA.

Frustrating that our best striker at the moment isn't even our player and will probably return to Chelsea in a couple of years maximum even if we extend the loan as if he's decent we won't be able to afford him, good that he's scoring though so let's enjoy broja while he's here.  

5 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Frustrating that our best striker at the moment isn't even our player and will probably return to Chelsea in a couple of years maximum even if we extend the loan as if he's decent we won't be able to afford him, good that he's scoring though so let's enjoy broja while he's here.  

The other way of looking at it is realistically a player like Broja would only be with us for a  couple of years anyway before being snapped up by a bigger club. Of course we don’t make the transfer profit on the deal if he was our player but we also don’t pay out anything more than a loan fee and percentage of wages. A great example of how to use the loan system well. Something with our finances we are going to need to do quite a bit of over the next few years. 

• Like 5

Absolutely - it’s a great loan and well done the club for being pragmatic enough to recognise that our principles around loans simply won’t work in our current state. A frightening thought is that 2 players who have instantly become some of our best were miles away from Chelsea’s first team (and based on talent)

On 21/10/2021 at 19:45, stevy777_x said:

This 100% isn’t true. It will depend solely on the arrangement between the 2 clubs. And will differ from player to player. 

Some loans will have a recall clause, some won’t. The conditions around said recall are also dependant on the arrangement between clubs. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 26/10/2021 at 14:29, Dman said:

This 100% isn’t true. It will depend solely on the arrangement between the 2 clubs. And will differ from player to player. 

Some loans will have a recall clause, some won’t. The conditions around said recall are also dependant on the arrangement between clubs. 

Completely wrong. Recalls from season-long loans are no longer allowed in the Premier League under any circumstances. The only exception to this is for goalkeepers. The rules for loans have changed several times in the last few years, but at the moment this is the case. Apart from arrangements to do with who pays the player and how much, the conditions of a loan are not arrangements between two clubs, they are subject to very clear rules set out by the Premier League.

• Like 3

On 25/10/2021 at 04:23, Dark Munster said:

Even worse is Haaland choosing Norway over England. 🙁

But were stuck with Southgate still fucking picking the wrong team however world class we might think our players are and fans and pundits agree..............afterall how the fuck is Kane still playing, and so well out of form?............just because hes Englands captain shouldnt mean automatic selection.

8 minutes ago, Chez said:

like the sound of that. 

It seems there was a recall clause inserted meaning Chelsea can take him back in January. With Lukaku and Werner plus their other forwards it is quite likely they'll leave him with us to get more experience unless they have a bad run of injuries or Broja turns into a goal machine 🙂 

3 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

Completely wrong. Recalls from season-long loans are no longer allowed in the Premier League under any circumstances. The only exception to this is for goalkeepers. The rules for loans have changed several times in the last few years, but at the moment this is the case. Apart from arrangements to do with who pays the player and how much, the conditions of a loan are not arrangements between two clubs, they are subject to very clear rules set out by the Premier League.

Can you clarify this please?

I thought premier league rules stated that, normally, a loan has to go through 2 transfer windows, but that it can be recalled if both clubs agreed to it and if the PL agreed to it. I read the PL handbook about it at the start of the season but can’t recall the clause.

Edit. I found the clause.

V.7.4. subject to any conditions imposed by the Board in the exercise of its discretion under Rule V.4.2, the minimum period of a Temporary Transfer shall be the period between two consecutive Transfer Windows and the period of a Temporary Transfer shall not extend beyond 30 June next after it was entered into, save that the Board may, in its absolute discretion, permit a Temporary Transfer to be terminated before the commencement of the second Transfer Window (subject to such conditions as the Board deems appropriate);

Edited by The Kraken

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

Can you clarify this please?

I thought premier league rules stated that, normally, a loan has to go through 2 transfer windows, but that it can be recalled if both clubs agreed to it and if the PL agreed to it. I read the PL handbook about it at the start of the season but can’t recall the clause.

Edit. I found the clause.

V.7.4. subject to any conditions imposed by the Board in the exercise of its discretion under Rule V.4.2, the minimum period of a Temporary Transfer shall be the period between two consecutive Transfer Windows and the period of a Temporary Transfer shall not extend beyond 30 June next after it was entered into, save that the Board may, in its absolute discretion, permit a Temporary Transfer to be terminated before the commencement of the second Transfer Window (subject to such conditions as the Board deems appropriate);

Exactly, no recall allowed for outfield players, has to go through two transfer windows. There is a report doing the rounds attributed to goal.com, that Chelsea have a clause in the agreement that they could recall during the January window. I think this is bullshit. Clubs cannot put clauses in contracts that would deliberately contravene PL/FA rules. This has only come about because Chelsea have lost 2 strikers to injury, but they showed on the weekend (v Norwich) and last night that it really isn't an issue. 

1 hour ago, VectisSaint said:

Exactly, no recall allowed for outfield players, has to go through two transfer windows. There is a report doing the rounds attributed to goal.com, that Chelsea have a clause in the agreement that they could recall during the January window. I think this is bullshit. Clubs cannot put clauses in contracts that would deliberately contravene PL/FA rules. This has only come about because Chelsea have lost 2 strikers to injury, but they showed on the weekend (v Norwich) and last night that it really isn't an issue. 

I understand that Chelsea cannot recall Broja now. My confusion I guess comes from, like you say goal.com and others, saying that he could be recalled in the January window. But as those reports say, only if both clubs agree it.

I’m not arguing either way, for the avoidance of doubt. I’m saying I don’t know. I think the rule as I quoted isn’t clear. I’d also hope Saints would say no, therefore it’s moot.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Armando Broja