Armando Broja

Matthew Le God

1 hour ago, Saint86 said:

Are there any players that make a truly full recovery from these sorts of injuries? In my mind, it feels like they never really reach the standard they were before, even if they do get back to a similar level?

I think it depends on the type of player. Those that rely on explosive acceleration seem to return more limited.

Your bog standard centre back who never really had any pace to begin with seems to get back relatively unscathed. 

Don't know if that's borne out by the evidence, but that's how it appears to me: mobility never quite recovers, but that's more noticeable in some players (wingers, strikers) than others.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

I think it depends on the type of player. Those that rely on explosive acceleration seem to return more limited.

Your bog standard centre back who never really had any pace to begin with seems to get back relatively unscathed. 

Don't know if that's borne out by the evidence, but that's how it appears to me: mobility never quite recovers, but that's more noticeable in some players (wingers, strikers) than others.

Jay Rodriguez certainly became a completely different forward after his.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, East Kent Saint said:

I always wince when they do the knee slide celebration !  I took 6 months recovery from what was minor damage playing at school , they said it was housemaids knee ! No op just physio , probably moved on a bit since then with treatment.

Was everything in black and white back then?

4 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Are there any players that make a truly full recovery from these sorts of injuries? In my mind, it feels like they never really reach the standard they were before, even if they do get back to a similar level?

Shearer smashed over 30 goals the season after he did his. Robert Pires was decent too. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, egg said:

Shearer smashed over 30 goals the season after he did his. Robert Pires was decent too. 

I had totally forgotten he did it tbh, and i can only vaguely recall it now. I guess perhaps that's the nature of these injuries - we more readily remember the ones that ruin players. 

I'd say the combination of pace and power was a large part of Broja's game, but if he does drop a yard of pace I suppose he could do worse than follow a shearer style career 😅.

Edited by Saint86

On 14/12/2022 at 18:51, egg said:

Didn’t know Shearer did his, that’s mental when you consider how good his goal ratio despite losing about a year out!!

Hopefully Broja goes on to make a recovery, crazy how the same injury can have such varying outcomes for sportsmen and women.

9 hours ago, bpsaint said:

Didn’t know Shearer did his, that’s mental when you consider how good his goal ratio despite losing about a year out!!

Hopefully Broja goes on to make a recovery, crazy how the same injury can have such varying outcomes for sportsmen and women.

I know he did his achillies tendon , not quite so nippy after that injury.

• 1 year later...
Posted (edited)

I've copied and pasted the relevant details from the report. A couple of points to note - Wolves maybe interested. Would that scupper Che going to them? Says he was valued at around £50m, but that could drop to £25m-£30m with sell-ons and buy back clauses. Would he want to go to Europe (Monaco)?  Would he like to come back to Saints? He proved himself here previously, could he be the answer to our search for a striker. If it worked out well, £25m would seem like a bargain. He obviously doesn't fit into Chelsea's plans. Anyway, lot's to consider and it's a discussion point. Here's the BBC report......

Chelsea striker Armando Broja has interest from multiple clubs in Europe, including French side Monaco.

The Albania striker, 22, is available for sale this summer and is ready to take the next step in his career.

This year Broja had an unsuccessful loan spell at Fulham, who paid a £4m penalty fee for not starting the former Vitesse and Southampton striker in 10 or more matches.

Fulham are not interested in making the loan spell permanent after a superb end to the season for Rodrigo Muniz but long-term admirers AC Milan and Wolves could join Monaco in the race for Broja's signature.

Monaco are seeking a replacement for outgoing striker Wissam Ben Yedder, with Red Bull Salzburg's Karim Konate and Ajax's Georges Mikautadze also on the club's list.

The Blues valued Broja at close to £50m in January but the fee could drop to between £25m and £30m. Chelsea could look to leverage any discounts by adding a substantial sell-on or a favourable buy-back clause to make any deal more worthwhile.

Edited by Saint Keef
amendment

For 15 million it could be worth a punt if Martin thinks he can get a tune out of him. Anything more than that and in my view it's an unacceptable risk when we already have Stewart returning from injury. We probably need to spend 25-30 million on a top quality striker when Adams leaves and we want to minimise the chances of them being a flop. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Cannot see that happening.

I seem to recall being impressed by his pace strength and aggressive quality- at times- but overall I’d say his attributes mean he requires service - rather than he puts himself at the service of the team.

A younger but expensive possibly lost a yard of pace and not won anything yet version of Cristiano Ronaldo is one way of describing him. That Might be harsh - but I don’t see that he’s the type RM - or the team- would fancy. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 1

He looked a talent for us at times and did score a few decent goals; but if I remember his stats with us weren't particularly impressive. I am sure MLG can assist here? 😃

Add in a big injury and a less than impressive loan to Fulham....really don't think we should spend £££. Loan with option at most, surely.

• Like 2

25-30m for a player that couldn't get into the starting line up at Fulham seems pricey. I'd take a punt for 10-15m but he's shown nothing recently to suggest he's worth paying more than that. The news report smacks of Chelsea trying to start a bidding war.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Loan with an option at c£20-25m would be ok, but buying outright would be madness.  He looked great for 3 months at Saints (3 years ago!!) and has done fcuk all since, albeit appreciate he had a serious injury for part of it

Edited by Barsiem
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Cannot see that happening.

I seem to recall being impressed by his pace strength and aggressive quality- at times- but overall I’d say his attributes mean he requires service - rather than he puts himself at the service of the team.

A younger but expensive possibly lost a yard of pace and not won anything yet version of Cristiano Ronaldo is one way of describing him. That Might be harsh - but I don’t see that he’s the type RM - or the team- would fancy. 

what on earth are you rambling on about? 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

Greedy one trick pony, who after a Headline grabbing start for us got found out and he didn’t have a solution. 
Hope we move on past this shop window.

Mmm....he was a bit young - and only used to U21 football when he came and looked a bit raw at the highest level, but he wasn't afraid

to put himself about and took a few a knocks in the process, but he also scored some valuable goals, too. 

Problem came after the New Year when " he'd been found out ", and got some rough treatment from some of the Prem.'s heavy mob.

After that he struggled with injuries and lost his influence up front.

When  he returned to Chelsea, he played a few games for them, then  (I think) got an ACL-type injury and was out for a long stretch.

Have him back (?)... Maybe . He would be as a good a shot as anyone for his age / experience, but certainly not for 50mill.   

Even half of that would be a  big ask on our limited transfer budget, as we 'll need to buy 3 or 4 more established names as well.   

IF... we can agree a reasonable deal ..why not?    At least we 've seen him in action and know what we'd be getting for our money. 

Interesting situation ....if we had to choose between him and (say) Danny Ings .. (another rumour doing the rounds a.t.m.). 

55 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

Greedy one trick pony, who after a Headline grabbing start for us got found out and he didn’t have a solution. 

Really? He was banging brilliant goals in at international level before he came here and tore it up for a while. There's a great player in there. 

• Like 5

He was good for us previously, I liked him,  had a really bad injury since and struggled, would be better as a loan with option to buy 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

For 15 million it could be worth a punt if Martin thinks he can get a tune out of him. Anything more than that and in my view it's an unacceptable risk when we already have Stewart returning from injury. We probably need to spend 25-30 million on a top quality striker when Adams leaves and we want to minimise the chances of them being a flop. 

Agreed, we’ll need two frontline strikers with Che joining Wolves, AA more of a wide forward and Stewart, well getting him to start a game would be huge progress. The latter has to be a bonus ball as competition who can force his way in with a pre-season under his belt and a view to being match sharp by the autumn.

Broja could be the second of those but nearer £15m if it is a permanent deal or loan with an option/mandatory at say 10 PL goals at £20m if the ACL hasn’t robbed him of that change of pace he had. Agree that the club transfer record needs to go on the frontline striker signing, maybe even £30m, if some of the Sulemana outlay can be recovered to help fund it.

I consider it pretty likely that we need two strikers. You would hope that the inexperienced punt that could come good would be someone like the Aberdeen striker which leaves us with a big money signing striker you would hope if we can get one who agrees to come. That isn't Broja IMO he really hasn't shown enough to suggest that he will be a surefire hit to the degree that we would spend a wedge on him. Given the fact that we will probably have to spend a decent amount on an AM too, I can't see us taking the gamble. The only reason the asking price is so high is because he is on the books of a big club. 

• Like 2

Big question marks over his attitude and application, he was class here at first and then completely uninterested. Better looking elsewhere IMO, especially for that kind of price tag 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Jack said:

Big question marks over his attitude and application, he was class here at first and then completely uninterested. Better looking elsewhere IMO, especially for that kind of price tag 

Young player has fluctuation in form and his attitude and application is questioned. Incredible. 

Very little difference between Broja and say Evan Ferguson but people would wet themselves over signing Ferguson. 

Edited by Fabrice29
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Young player has fluctuation in form and his attitude and application is questioned. Incredible. 

Very little difference between Broja and say Evan Ferguson but people would wet themselves over signing Ferguson. 

It takes a bit more than six goals from a striker to make me moist, personally. If Broja had done that on loan at Bournemouth or Everton, three years ago, I don’t think anyone would be particularly thrilled by this suggestion.

3 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

It takes a bit more than six goals from a striker to make me moist, personally. If Broja had done that on loan at Bournemouth or Everton, three years ago, I don’t think anyone would be particularly thrilled by this suggestion.

Which is a perfectly reasonable take, it's the suggestions of a bad attitude/application that baffle me. Opinion on him as a player is subjective, but I'd also remind you he's 22 and his best years are obviously ahead of him. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

He had a little hot spell with us and has done exactly nothing since. You can’t go blowing £25m+ on a gamble like that IMO

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Jack said:

He had a little hot spell with us and has done exactly nothing since. You can’t go blowing £25m+ on a gamble like that IMO

Exactly nothing isn't fair for someone who has been seriously injured and messed around by a club he clearly wanted a chance at. Like most youngsters he'll need a settled environment to prosper. It's definitely a gamble but there's zero evidence his attitude is a problem.

Edited by Fabrice29
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

How about 16 goals in Scotland or Holland?

Sometimes you have to look beyond just one number. At times he was almost unplayable for us and troubled really good PL CBs. That suggests to me that he has the ability and has proven it over a short period. That he dropped off a bit is fairly explainable: the whole team did and he personally suddenly had a lot of hype, attention and doubtless many people telling him what to do.

Since then he has been injured, messed around by chaotic Chelsea and then finding himself behind the emerging Muniz at Fulham.

If since his six goals he hadnt been injured he would be unattainable for us - our targets will always have some kind of flaw, whether thats totally unproven in the PL or over the hill - someone like Broja has a huge upside at a price we could afford. 

I really think he just needs a 'home' and then will be really good - certsinly far more likely to be a success than someone like Miovski because he has all the attributes you need and has shown he can do it in the PL - pace, power, finishing, ability to create for himself - they are just raw.

Edited by Dusic

44 minutes ago, Jack said:

Loan with an option I'd take him but Chelsea seem to want top dollar for him (their prerogative i suppose). At least on loan he can show he he's about and we've secured the option if he does achieve it. And if not, he can go back. But he'd be one of two strikers I'd want to bring in though as he also has the injury record both with us and Chelsea. With Ross Stewart's injury record being less than favourable we need options.

Gosh! A £50 million player according to the club, available for a discount of £25 -£30 million! What a deal...

I've not seen anything of him since he left, other than a couple of Chelsea appearances. Was he showing the all round skills we need at Fulham?

Not convinced.

Posted (edited)

Surely he either gets sold for 10-15m or he goes out on loan for another season. Cant see anyone taking the risk at 20/25m after his injury where he’s done bugger all for years 

Edited by Saint Garrett
  • Like 1

I was at Fulham v Palace this season, Broja came on with about ten minutes to go. Didnt do anything. I asked the Fulham fans what they thought of him, said he hadn’t had many chances to be fair but they weren’t impressed.

4 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

Complete tosh! Admit it, you just made this up cos you don't like him.

1 hour ago, Nolan said:

Chelsea can only spend money based on sales other wise FFP will kick in. 

This valuation for Broja is over the top because of that

Also, isn’t he classed as ‘home grown’ so anything he gets sold for counts 100% against their FFP targets? Same reason that Connor Gallagher was touted to be sold.

I’d maybe take Broja on a loan should Adams leave, on the proviso that we also signed another striker.

5 hours ago, david in sweden said:

Mmm....he was a bit young - and only used to U21 football when he came and looked a bit raw at the highest level, but he wasn't afraid

to put himself about and took a few a knocks in the process, but he also scored some valuable goals, too. 

Problem came after the New Year when " he'd been found out ", and got some rough treatment from some of the Prem.'s heavy mob.

this "being found out" thing is bollocks.  He wasn't `found out', he was completely starved of service. As a side we were utter shit.  I'd be surprised if he had a handful of chances in the last ten games. I guess he must shoulder his share of blame as he was a member of the side not functioning, but him not looking as good/effective was not in isolation. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Wade Garrett said:

No thanks.  Didn’t pull up any trees at Fulham.

he played a total of 81 minutes as the manager favoured Muniz, who was on fire. Doesn't necessarily mean Broja is washed up. If there is a better option, lets sign him, but if we get the player I saw run rings around some top class defenders, then we have chance to survive next year.

• Like 4

I wouldn’t be upset if he came back to us, but a loan to buy seems the best option. Trouble is, if there was any chance we were interested then the journo’s would be all over it - but they’re not, so there’s little to no chance he’ll turn up here.

Thought he was raw but still had a bit of class about him when he played here last. RM would have to play to his strengths but if he did AB would be a potent weapon. His age is also a plus and he enjoyed his last stint here by all accounts (in a dreadful team). £25M is steep considering what he's done since but I wouldn't be against him coming back.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Armando Broja