Armando Broja

Matthew Le God

3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

We had enough point to be safe long before the season finished.

Points. 😄

And yes we had enough points but our end of season form sure didn't make it feel comfortable. Hence why I'm pleased it seems the club have realised our squad was poor and it needs overhauling in most positions. As to the quality of our recruits, well that remains to be seen but it looks positive based on people gushing about them. I'd like to see Broja back but we hope the club have attacking options in their scouting notes with the potential of Bazunu and Bella-Kotchap.

13 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Points. 😄

And yes we had enough points but our end of season form sure didn't make it feel comfortable. Hence why I'm pleased it seems the club have realised our squad was poor and it needs overhauling in most positions. As to the quality of our recruits, well that remains to be seen but it looks positive based on people gushing about them. I'd like to see Broja back but we hope the club have attacking options in their scouting notes with the potential of Bazunu and Bella-Kotchap.

I'd like to see Broja back - if we get the mid-season model, not the end of season model. I wonder which one Wet Spam will get?

2 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

I was under the impression that we are keen, wanted another Loan with an option to buy, and since chelsea have been touting him around to other clubs, driving the price up. Heard saints are fuming, 

He's Chelsea's player tbf, totally up to them what they do with him. Not for us to dictate what we want.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

He's Chelsea's player tbf, totally up to them what they do with him. Not for us to dictate what we want.

Absolutely, but I heard saints thought them and Chelsea had a deal agreed. 

I wonder if it will affect the deal for Harvey Vale 

55 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

I wonder if it will affect the deal for Harvey Vale 

We have a deal for Harvey Vale? 

Scooby Doo Phantosaur GIF - Scooby Doo Phantosaur Legend - Discover & Share  GIFs

For me, he's the obvious Chelsea player to target.

I have no idea if your Broja story is true, but if it is, it's probably due to Marina leaving.

On 21/06/2022 at 19:39, Saint Garrett said:

Absolutely, but I heard saints thought them and Chelsea had a deal agreed. 

My guess is there was no deal agreed.  We probably enquired about a transfer, but Chelsea perhaps wanted to wait until the summer before doing any deals. And here we are in the summer and they are now happy to sell, but the price they want is beyond us. We must move on, unless of course no one matches that fee.

We probably would go to £20m, but not £30m. All guesswork of course.

2 hours ago, Chez said:

My guess is there was no deal agreed.  We probably enquired about a transfer, but Chelsea perhaps wanted to wait until the summer before doing any deals. And here we are in the summer and they are now happy to sell, but the price they want is beyond us. We must move on, unless of course no one matches that fee.

We probably would go to £20m, but not £30m. All guesswork of course.

Also possible that we had an agreement with the previous Chelsea administration and the new owners did not want to continue it.

Newcastle fan here. We've been linked with Broja recently, as an alternative to Ekitike because his agent is playing silly buggers. 

Don't know much about him as I've not watched a lot of your games. How does he play? What's his attitude like? Is he actually any good?

Cheers

On 21/06/2022 at 19:03, Matthew Le God said:

We had enough points to be safe long before the season finished.

Is that like saying any game where we win 1-0 but score in the 1st 10 mins is a comfortable win as we had enough goals to win the game with 80mins+ still to play?

14 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Newcastle fan here. We've been linked with Broja recently, as an alternative to Ekitike because his agent is playing silly buggers. 

Don't know much about him as I've not watched a lot of your games. How does he play? What's his attitude like? Is he actually any good?

Cheers

Surprisingly quick, he's strong enough to hold off a defender and then quick enough to spin them and run away from them. It did seem as if teams and opposition players figured that out a bit last season and stopped getting so tight to him, which made it harder for him to spin and run.

In terms of finishing, he gets a bit excited and isn't always the most clinical - but if he can calm that down and get a bit more composure he'll be excellent for anyone as his raw physical attributes will always make him a threat.

• Like 1

Good player, nowhere near the finished article. Very quick, and can burn defenders, but very wasteful in front of goal. He'll be better next season no doubt.  Didn't fit brilliantly well in a pressing team, as he generally cba to press, but he will be a quality player IMO. As long as his attitude doesn't stop him...

46 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Cheers

He's total shite.  Steer well clear but if you do sign him your best bet is to loan him out for a pittance.  Hope that helps.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Probably a blessing in disguise. He is not the 20 goal a season striker that our survival depends upon. Doubtful he is any better than Adams otherwise why would Chelsea sell him?

20 goals a season!!  How much do you think one of them would cost??

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

Cheers

He's the next Shearer.

OK, so that's probably not true, but he does have all the attributes to be a very fine striker for someone. As has been mentioned, he is very quick and strong, but its not all straight line stuff, he has ball skills (dribbling) and ability to beat a defender all ends up. That's rare at the top level.

I think his touch is decent too. Some Saints fans criticised he link up play, but it looked OK to me. He certainly looks at home at this level - he's a premiership standard player - there is no disputing that, but can he become a `Prem great'?

There were a few occasions last season when he beat a man, the angle was tight and he still went for a shot, often skewing the ball wide. Some fans weren't happy at that. The term greedy was used and a lack of vision, but IMO you need strikers that take responsibility and are a little greedy. You don't want the skewing/shanking it wide though of course, and perhaps that is where he can improve - choosing not to shoot when its really not on. I should say that he didn't do this a loads, maybe five or six times, but it was noticeable. Of course, its easy to say he can improve there, but its a lot harder to actually do it.

When it comes to attitude, that is something that will be argued about on here. Some suggested he switched off in the run in last season, but I'd counter that he looked royally miffed when dropped and seemed desperate for more goals. Perhaps that was for personal gain rather than the team, but who knows.  All our strikers were completely starved of service, so I don't buy into the idea that he was on the beach before others. We were shite, everyone played shite. I don't see a lack of work rate or effort, ever. To get this far you have work your socks off. It makes me laugh when people question them as people. 

My money would be on West Ham getting him. He took them to pieces a couple of times, so they have seen the best of him. For me, £25m is a good price.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I promise I'm not fishing for bites.

Im Not GIF

Might be something to do with skates. 

anyway why would Newcastle be looking at Broja - I thought you would be looking for someone already established given the money and apparent aspirations of your owners?

On 24/06/2022 at 16:29, Toadhall Saint said:

Might be something to do with skates. 

anyway why would Newcastle be looking at Broja - I thought you would be looking for someone already established given the money and apparent aspirations of your owners?

Nah, we're not ready for that. You stick the finished article in our team and we'd be unbalanced, also it's a big gamble. Buy a few up and coming players like Guimaraes, Botman, buy a few dependable if not particularly exciting players like Burn, Pope and Targett. If we went out and tried to sign Raheem Sterling a) he'd laugh us off, b) we'd become a 1-man team, c) the wages and attention he'd receive would disrupt the squad. 

Much more sensible approach to make incremental, sustainable changes throughout the squad (Pope for Dubravka e.g.). That way, when we are in a position to sign a top talent, it's more likely to be a success. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure after Botman we'll spend some on an attacker, but it's way more likely to be Moussa Diaby than Mbappe!

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Nah, we're not ready for that. You stick the finished article in our team and we'd be unbalanced, also it's a big gamble. Buy a few up and coming players like Guimaraes, Botman, buy a few dependable if not particularly exciting players like Burn, Pope and Targett. If we went out and tried to sign Raheem Sterling a) he'd laugh us off, b) we'd become a 1-man team, c) the wages and attention he'd receive would disrupt the squad. 

Much more sensible approach to make incremental, sustainable changes throughout the squad (Pope for Dubravka e.g.). That way, when we are in a position to sign a top talent, it's more likely to be a success. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure after Botman we'll spend some on an attacker, but it's way more likely to be Moussa Diaby than Mbappe!

💯skate !

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

This might be quite interesting because if Broja wants to be playing regularly, wants to be the main striker at a club then if we do want him we must jump to the top of the list. He’s not getting guarantees at Newcastle or West Ham although I guess he could at Frank Lampard’s Everton.

If he’s just chasing a big pay packet then we have no chance.

Edited by beatlesaint
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

I can only see us getting him on a loan with an option tbh.... Other clubs will blow us out of the water on transfer fees otherwise

How does getting him on a loan with an option solve the problem of other clubs blowing Saints out of the water?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SuperSAINT said:

I think Broja would start at Everton / Newcastle / West Ham 

Agreed. They will also pay more wages. The only selling points we have are that we are closer to home than Everton and Sandcastle (not WHU though). Tino is one of his best mates and maybe it’s better the devil you know from his perspective. We have an existing relationship with him (unless rumours of Ralph issues are true), although Frank may also? His family seemed to be keen on him moving to us, according to Ralph.

Perhaps the biggest selling point is that we are far more likely to sell to a top 6 team when he’s proven he’s ready for them than the other 3. In that time with Sandcastle have got there themselves? Saints position as a stepping stone club and now a team for the best academy products is a great fit.

I’d be both surprised and very impressed if SR were to spend such a fee. Right position and player type to do so though, think he would make us some money. Just don’t see us spending that money based on our current perceived budget. Would love him here permanently!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dusic said:

If ever there was a player for Saints to push the boat out for its Broja.

Absolute no brainer to be in for him at £25-30m assuming we are financially able to.

To each their own, but personally if saints are going to spend £30m on a player, i'd rather it was someone who didn't go missing for more than half the season and had a better record than 6 goals in 2000minutes of premier league football. That is an awful lot of money for saints, and i'm far from convinced it would be best spent on Broja - it feels like a lazy link just because we want a striker and he was on loan here last season. Why do people think that because we buy him (rather than loan him), that his attitude and contribution will significantly improve to justify that kind of outlay? If he had bagged 10-15 goals then maybe...

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

To each their own, but personally if saints are going to spend £30m on a player, i'd rather it was someone who didn't go missing for more than half the season and had a better record than 6 goals in 2000minutes of premier league football. That is an awful lot of money for saints, and i'm far from convinced it would be best spent on Broja - it feels like a lazy link just because we want a striker and he was on loan here last season. Why do people think that because we buy him (rather than loan him), that his attitude and contribution will significantly improve to justify that kind of outlay? If he had bagged 10-15 goals then maybe...

Problem is that anyone you buy there will be doubts over but at least with Broja you have a better idea of what you're getting.  Form definitely did drop off but then so did the whole team and it happens with younger players - there's lots of reasons to think he would be better next season.  Big thing I think is that the price bracket we're looking at probably means signing a younger player from another league.  You don't know whether they'll adjust to the premier league, and all the other variables.  In that regard Broja is a less risky option.

Whether we could get him?  Who knows.  Not sure we have the money.  Newcastle and West Ham both have other targets so possibly see Broja as a fall back if they don't come off.  Everton might have a bit more pull but having spent a season here could possibly sway it. 

23 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Agreed. They will also pay more wages. The only selling points we have are that we are closer to home than Everton and Sandcastle (not WHU though). Tino is one of his best mates and maybe it’s better the devil you know from his perspective. We have an existing relationship with him (unless rumours of Ralph issues are true), although Frank may also? His family seemed to be keen on him moving to us, according to Ralph.

Perhaps the biggest selling point is that we are far more likely to sell to a top 6 team when he’s proven he’s ready for them than the other 3. In that time with Sandcastle have got there themselves? Saints position as a stepping stone club and now a team for the best academy products is a great fit.

I’d be both surprised and very impressed if SR were to spend such a fee. Right position and player type to do so though, think he would make us some money. Just don’t see us spending that money based on our current perceived budget. Would love him here permanently!

WHU may be closer in distance but according to google maps timewise our training ground is 15 minutes closer to Slough than theirs.

Still not sure about Broja, didn't see enough to convince me we couldn't get better for less money (not sure who but they must be out there). In a way he reminded me of Pahars and Gabbiadini (not  playing style)  in that he done just enough for much of the crowd to think of him as the second coming, yet more often than not was totally anonymous.  Then again was that through lack of effort/interest, or was it down to the system not suiting his style or vice versa. If it's the latter .would RH be willing to change our style to suit him? We've had enough of square pegs in round holes the last two years, if he doesn't fit the system then we should give him a miss.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

WHU may be closer in distance but according to google maps timewise our training ground is 15 minutes closer to Slough than theirs.

Still not sure about Broja, didn't see enough to convince me we couldn't get better for less money (not sure who but they must be out there). In a way he reminded me of Pahars and Gabbiadini (not  playing style)  in that he done just enough for much of the crowd to think of him as the second coming, yet more often than not was totally anonymous.  Then again was that through lack of effort/interest, or was it down to the system not suiting his style or vice versa. If it's the latter .would RH be willing to change our style to suit him? We've had enough of square pegs in round holes the last two years, if he doesn't fit the system then we should give him a miss.

Interesting re the training ground locations, good detective work!

Opinion does seem split on whether Broja is the best use of £30m. Maybe it’s the Saints fan pessimism in me but I just don’t see us signing him permanently, unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Interesting re the training ground locations, good detective work!

Opinion does seem split on whether Broja is the best use of £30m. Maybe it’s the Saints fan pessimism in me but I just don’t see us signing him permanently, unfortunately.

I’d be happy with either him or delap do prefer broja though as he just has. Electric pace for a big striker he’s got it all really.

whatever we do I just hope it’s not loans, do we really want to disrupt our team every season and be looking to replace the loan ?  I hope we learned from the broja loan last season that it’s not ideal plus I thought the point in going for kids was to also buy cheap and sell at a profit 

• Like 1

We had a good look at him last season. Initially he was a surprise package and scored good goals. Defenders got close up to him and he was able to use his strength and pace so spin past them. However his scoring started to dry up and his form dropped.  Was he found out by opposition defenders? Did they stand off him more so he could not surprise them?  Could we have had the best of him in that initial period?

My view is that if we had to pay plus £30M with wages circa £100,000 per week we might be making a big mistake unless the coaches can see a clear way of developing and widening his skills and he has the ability to do so. Big risk IMO. 

• Like 3

If we were buying a striker who had scored 6 in 32 from another PL club, for over £30 million I think most of us would not thing that was a good deal. Especially as he would only be backing that up with 10 goals in the Eredivisie and not much else.

Seems too much to me, if we have the ability to spend over £30 million on one player (and I have my doubts anyway), I think there is better value to be had elsewhere. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

If we were buying a striker who had scored 6 in 32 from another PL club, for over £30 million I think most of us would not thing that was a good deal. Especially as he would only be backing that up with 10 goals in the Eredivisie and not much else.

Seems too much to me, if we have the ability to spend over £30 million on one player (and I have my doubts anyway), I think there is better value to be had elsewhere. 

well, we pay half that for players who have played in League 1 (or not at all), so........

Edited by AlexLaw76

21 minutes ago, Weston Saint said:

We had a good look at him last season. Initially he was a surprise package and scored good goals. Defenders got close up to him and he was able to use his strength and pace so spin past them. However his scoring started to dry up and his form dropped.  Was he found out by opposition defenders? Did they stand off him more so he could not surprise them?  Could we have had the best of him in that initial period?

My view is that if we had to pay plus £30M with wages circa £100,000 per week we might be making a big mistake unless the coaches can see a clear way of developing and widening his skills and he has the ability to do so. Big risk IMO. 

17 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

I think this is it for me. Broja might turn out to be the nuts in a few years but feels like the ship has ultimately sailed for saints - this is the downside with taking on loan deals with no option to buy.

His loan generated enough interest to drive up his transfer fee and wages, and that has pushed him into quite a risky bracket for saints. The clubs looking at him have a history of overpaying on players / lower financial constraints - But if we spend all that money and he doesn't deliver accordingly it will be like Boufal, Lemina, Hoedt all over again (in terms of impacts on our financial power going forward).

Edited by Saint86

7 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

well, we pay half that for players who have played in League 1 (or not at all), so........

Not really we pay about a third initially if that up front, with a little more on potential appearances which will depend on him being successful.  Initial fees for Bazanu and Lavia are around £10 million. 

You are talking 3 times that amount, likely to not be dependent on future performances if multiple clubs are interested him. 

When consider that is more than Haller just went to Dortmund for, and he has scored 47 in 66 games for Ajax over two seasons, including being last seasons top scorer in the Champions League. (plus despite flopping for West Ham, still had a better PL goal scoring season than Broja has just had). It just doesn't make much sense to me.

I mean a player like Belotti is out there on a free transfer, supposedly going to Monaco on a wage of about reportedly less than £60k a week, he's a full Italy international who's been a regular scorer in Serie A for years. 

2 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Not really we pay about a third initially if that up front, with a little more on potential appearances which will depend on him being successful.  Initial fees for Bazanu and Lavia are around £10 million. 

You are talking 3 times that amount, likely to not be dependent on future performances if multiple clubs are interested him. 

When consider that is more than Haller just went to Dortmund for, and he has scored 47 in 66 games for Ajax over two seasons, including being last seasons top scorer in the Champions League. (plus despite flopping for West Ham, still had a better PL goal scoring season than Broja has just had). It just doesn't make much sense to me.

I mean a player like Belotti is out there on a free transfer, supposedly going to Monaco on a wage of about reportedly less than £60k a week, he's a full Italy international who's been a regular scorer in Serie A for years. 

I doubt £25m for Broja is all up front either, so kind of follows.

Broja's quoted price is pretty low.  Born and bred in England, full time through the academy system (and one of the best in the world), with some international experience and a full season at the a premier league club under his belt.  Has all the attributes for the very top.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Armando Broja