Armando Broja

Matthew Le God

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Maybe he made it clear he had no interest in staying longer term?

Otherwise as you say, bizarre that we aren't pushing hard for him.

If ever there was a low risk deal to spend more than £20m its this.

Not sure I agree with that. I do like him, but he was pretty woeful for the last few months of the season. Without a doubt he has potential, but it’s still only that. If we don’t have the money I’m glad we’re looking for alternatives across the continent for much less money, but they need to be the right person. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Not sure I agree with that. I do like him, but he was pretty woeful for the last few months of the season. Without a doubt he has potential, but it’s still only that. If we don’t have the money I’m glad we’re looking for alternatives across the continent for much less money, but they need to be the right person. 

He dropped off as the whole team went to pot, and was probably overplayed, but over the season he was key in most of our best performances.

You can tell the attackers who will develop into top players because they have that extra level that others can't find. 

Broja has that, and absolutely rinsed some good centre backs last season in the way that Adams (and pretty much all bottom half strikers) cannot. For a first season in the PL he did really well and was ideal for our style of play. 

Pace, power, good finisher, can score from outside the box, creates chances for himself, wins penalties, robust. If we think we can find better then fair play.

I can't think of any reason Saints wouldn't want him permanently so have to assume either the price is too high or he isn't interested - possibly both.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Dusic said:

He dropped off as the whole team went to pot, and was probably overplayed, but over the season he was key in most of our best performances.

You can tell the attackers who will develop into top players because they have that extra level that others can't find. 

Broja has that, and absolutely rinsed some good centre backs last season in the way that Adams (and pretty much all bottom half strikers) cannot. For a first season in the PL he did really well and was ideal for our style of play. 

Pace, power, good finisher, can score from outside the box, creates chances for himself, wins penalties, robust. If we think we can find better then fair play.

I can't think of any reason Saints wouldn't want him permanently so have to assume either the price is too high or he isn't interested - possibly both.

Agree with all this.  He has X-factor.  Not many players like him at all.

So weird it all fizzled out.  Doesn't seem like long ago Ralph was bigging-up his family wanting him to join.

It will be disappointing to see him sign for another Prem side. He is the ideal forward for a team like us - one that creates fuck all, so needs a guy like him that can out muscle/pace opponents. I think he'll go from strength to strength. It was clear from the way he `said his goodbyes' that he wasn't coming back, so no surprise. We are simply not attractive enough right now.  Hope we can find someone equally impressive. Boy do we need more firepower.

• Like 4

At his best he looked like a complete Premier League striker and was only going to get better with him being only 20, running at defenders at every opportunity, beating them for pace and skill, scoring goals that he created himself. But, at his worst, he was a waste of a shirt, couldn't win a single aerial duel, couldn't hold the ball up the field and wasn't particularly effective at the press, which Ings was underrated for. Ings scored a couple of goals through closing down the goalkeeper, whereas Broja would just stop and give them all the time in the world to pick out a pass. With that inconsistency, I guess it's the risk you get with signing a 20 year old and we simply didn't have anyone else to take him out of the firing line, whereas West Ham can fall back on an Antonio, who may be pushed back into a squad role as he isn't firing as much these days. Thought Broja had scored more than six league goals to be fair, but West Ham and Craig Dawson in particular saw the best of him. I wouldn't be surprised if David Moyes improves his aerial game, either. Certainly a loss to us and one that needs replacing.

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

£25m for a player that scored six goals in a purple patch mid season and then went missing? I think I’ll pass.

the counter view would be, he missed the start of the season, but once he started he looked absolutely terrific, but lived off absolute scraps - as all the strikers did - in the final third of the season, which is why both he and they all failed to trouble the scorers. 

£25m is a lot of wedge to us, so maybe there are better options? Where's your £25m going?

• Like 1

Ralph made a comment like we didn’t have the money at the time..

maybe If we hadn’t signed AA we could of got broja on a perm?

anyway very frustrating if he goes to West Ham we want to be getting the benefits out of these type of deals not just alerting other clubs 

7 hours ago, Chez said:

the counter view would be, he missed the start of the season, but once he started he looked absolutely terrific, but lived off absolute scraps - as all the strikers did - in the final third of the season, which is why both he and they all failed to trouble the scorers. 

£25m is a lot of wedge to us, so maybe there are better options? Where's your £25m going?

Not on Broja.

Bring Delap in on loan.

I’d rather see the money spent elsewhere in the squad, central defence and central midfield being the priority, maybe even the “no.10 role. 
We’re decent enough to create chances and score goals, but conceding them has been a huge problem for the best part of five years now.

I’d have enough faith in the likes of Armstrong, Adams and Delap to be more clinical with a better team around them.

Frittering away £30m to try and Get AB, someone who looks half-arsed at times and May or may not turn up doesn’t strike me as good investment.
He’ll go to West Ham and become another Haller, he’ll be cut price in 18 months time. 😂

Edited by FarehamSaintJames
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

9 hours ago, Chez said:

Did Broja want to stay at Saints ?

12 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I was told that he wasn't very impressed by Ralph but liked the club. 

I know he’s not the only one in this boat. Ralph has fallen out with a couple of players. 

Wether that is justified or not, I don’t know. Probably 6 of 1 half a dozen of the other, but I know Ralph isn’t universally liked. 

One of the reasons I don’t think he’d succeed at a bigger club. 

10 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

£25m for a player that scored six goals in a purple patch mid season and then went missing? I think I’ll pass.

This is such a stupid argument. The whole team went off the boil, the service to hIm and Adams was non existent. 

£25m is a steal and would be a huge blow for him to go to West Ham. He’d do really well there imo. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Not on Broja.

Bring Delap in on loan.

I’d rather see the money spent elsewhere in the squad, central defence and central midfield being the priority, maybe even the “no.10 role. 
We’re decent enough to create chances and score goals, but conceding them has been a huge problem for the best part of five years now.

I’d have enough faith in the likes of Armstrong, Adams and Delap to be more clinical with a better team around them.

Frittering away £30m to try and Get AB, someone who looks half-arsed at times and May or may not turn up doesn’t strike me as good investment.
He’ll go to West Ham and become another Haller, he’ll be cut price in 18 months time. 😂

You have more confidence than me in our attacking prowess, but strengthening in every position is vital.

It’s disappointing, but no point crying about it, we’re never going to spend £30 million on a player. Instead I’m going to look forward to us bringing in another ineffective championship striker who needs a year to get used to playing in the premier league. Hopefully JWP will still be here to score the goals that our strikers can’t. #NoGoalsBarred 

Edited by Dorchester Saint

1 hour ago, Dman said:

This is such a stupid argument. The whole team went off the boil, the service to hIm and Adams was non existent. 

£25m is a steal and would be a huge blow for him to go to West Ham. He’d do really well there imo. 

I really think Broja will be a cracking player. Still young, still learning. Would love him here on a FTC

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

I really think Broja will be a cracking player. Still young, still learning. Would love him here on a FTC

The next Harry Kane in my opinion, but unfortunately cannot play for England

6 minutes ago, Appy said:

Already looking forward to the weird booing of him when we play West Ham

Such a shame it will be wet spam. I don't know enough about the Chelsea team and how they play, but on face value I don't know why they don't keep him and give him some game time. Perhaps he doesn't suit their style but he can't have done any worse than Lukaku last season

1 hour ago, Dorchester Saint said:

It’s disappointing, but no point crying about it, we’re never going to spend £30 million on a player. Instead I’m going to look forward to us bringing in another ineffective championship striker who needs a year to get used to playing in the premier league. Hopefully JWP will still be here to score the goals that our strikers can’t. #NoGoalsBarred 

Contract price and wages will always dictate who is available to us but an interesting dilemma if £15m is worth spending on a championship striker or saving for the following season to double up on a ‘better’ prospect. 

still £30m, if that is the price is a big risk considering what Borja contributed last season. If he’s that good, I’m not sure why and if Chelsea will sell with Lukaku leaving. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dman said:

I know he’s not the only one in this boat. Ralph has fallen out with a couple of players. 

Wether that is justified or not, I don’t know. Probably 6 of 1 half a dozen of the other, but I know Ralph isn’t universally liked. 

I was told he isn't the best with man management and has his favourites but also isn't the best at communication. 

Broja was at his best when he was played balls where he would be running at the defense, either with through balls or getting the ball in a place he could run from. However towards the end of the season we stopped playing that way with more methodical attacks where we controlled possession and worked are way into the box before making passes to Broja. In that type of attack he was a lot less dangerous. That seemed to be the difference to me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dman said:

One of the key reasons the Saints need to bring in better coaching staff. Ralph and good man management are apparently like water and oil. 

The problem as it appears with the club’s overall attitude is that the players and staff can like it or lump it, and whilst this might work for cleaners and digital marketers, it doesn’t with ‘talented’ assets that need to be nurtured to perform to or beyond their abilities consistently. 

As you say, it is a failing of Ralph’s that means he’d struggle at a big club with bigger egos to work with. 

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I was told he isn't the best with man management and has his favourites but also isn't the best at communication. 

There isn't a manager in the country that gets on with all his players. Fergie fell out with loads of them, the alternative is to give in to 'player power' which often happens and ends in tears. Guessing who likes who is a  mugs game because there is no way we can tell and anyway it can change in a week

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dellman said:

There isn't a manager in the country that gets on with all his players. Fergie fell out with loads of them, the alternative is to give in to 'player power' which often happens and ends in tears. Guessing who likes who is a  mugs game because there is no way we can tell and anyway it can change in a week

Fergie had the pedigree to back it up, Ralph on the other hand is known for losing 9-0, twice…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I really don't know what a football manager actually does these days, but in addition to tactics, man management and communication must be two of the most important elements. I don't have huge insight into his man management - I wasn't impressed with how he handled the McCarthy situation after the Brighton game, nor his handling of the forwards over the course of the season, but he seems to come across as a decent communicator...

16 minutes ago, Chez said:

I really don't know what a football manager actually does these days, but in addition to tactics, man management and communication must be two of the most important elements. I don't have huge insight into his man management - I wasn't impressed with how he handled the McCarthy situation after the Brighton game, nor his handling of the forwards over the course of the season, but he seems to come across as a decent communicator...

Just passing on what I was told. I don't think it's the case for all players but he doesn't seem to inspire the love and devotion that some of the top managers do. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Armando Broja