Armando Broja

Matthew Le God

9 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

From the Beeb's gossip page...

Napoli have set their sights on 20-year-old Chelsea striker Armando Broja, with the Albania forward having impressed while on loan at Southampton this season. (Todofichajes - in Spanish

2 hours ago, Toussaint said:

Seems certain we no longer figure in his plans despite all the chatter before melt down part 3.

How have you jumped to 'certain' based an article that makes no mention of Broja's views?

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

How have you jumped to 'certain' based an article that makes no mention of Broja's views?

My opinion is not based on that article, it’s based on my observations. A few months ago there was a lot of talk about him wanting to stay, his family wanting him to stay and do on. That went very quiet and his form went off a cliff. Of course I can’t be “certain” but I don’t need to be as it just a football forum where on blows off a bit of steam now and then

• Confused 1

If Napoli is the level of club seeking his services next year, we won't be in the conversation at all. And to be honest, for the past month or two he's been playing like he knows he'll be making a step up next year regardless of how our season ends. No idea how Napoli play these days, but Mertens et al always played on the shoulder, which would suit him a lot more than our painfully slow build up.

• Like 2

Broja's form at Vitesse tailed off at the end of the season too - he scored one goal from Feb onwards - so would be interesting to know if it's a physical/fatigue thing, or if it's an issue of a lack of focus on / motivation for remainder of current campaign. Napoli link at EUR18m seems the right sort of fee, let's hope we're very much in the race at that level.

1 hour ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

If you read article it states saints could do quick deal if they offer similar wages to what Che Adams and Adam Armstrong are on. Seems abit of a weird one as you'd think he'd command much bigger wages than those two imo

🚨 Once Chelsea's ownership crisis is solved, it is understood that Southampton could ‘quickly tie up a deal’ to sign Armando Broja permanently if they are willing to offer him similar wages to team-mates Che Adams & Adam Armstrong #saintsfc [@JackRosser_]

20 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

🚨 Once Chelsea's ownership crisis is solved, it is understood that Southampton could ‘quickly tie up a deal’ to sign Armando Broja permanently if they are willing to offer him similar wages to team-mates Che Adams & Adam Armstrong #saintsfc [@JackRosser_]

If that’s the case then I’m sure we’d be all over it, absolute no brainer.

Suspect it’s not that straightforward and likely to be bollox.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

That might mean combined...

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

If that’s the case then I’m sure we’d be all over it, absolute no brainer.

Suspect it’s not that straightforward and likely to be bollox.

A couple of months ago no doubt, but not sure his application and attitude over the past few weeks will have endeared him to the club, and Ralph in particular.

If we could secure a deal for Broja for around £15m then yes please. If we're talking £20m+ then we should explore other options. Another season long loan would be good but dont think Broja/Chelsea would be keen on that

2 hours ago, Badger said:

A couple of months ago no doubt, but not sure his application and attitude over the past few weeks will have endeared him to the club, and Ralph in particular.

Or he’s helping knock his price down 😉

4 hours ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

If you read article it states saints could do quick deal if they offer similar wages to what Che Adams and Adam Armstrong are on. Seems abit of a weird one as you'd think he'd command much bigger wages than those two imo

Why should he merit more than Che? Broja's staying power is questionable, he disappears from games for long spells, he is far from consistent, he wouldn't get in many Premier Lg teams and not in any top  ones. We can do better than him

• Haha 1

Personally would take or leave Broja. Wouldn’t be too upset if he didn’t join us. 

if he can make the most of his talent though, we might be able to flog him for double what we pay in a few years. Not sure he’s got the desire atm to make the most of his talent though…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Personally would take or leave Broja. Wouldn’t be too upset if he didn’t join us. 

if he can make the most of his talent though, we might be able to flog him for double what we pay in a few years. Not sure he’s got the desire atm to make the most of his talent though…

agree

On 05/05/2022 at 20:35, Badger said:

Broja doesn't score or shine and you conclude its his poor attitude and application? I don't see similar comments and terminology used for Che, Armstrong and Long, yet they have done absolutely fuck all in the same period. Is their application and attitude spot on? Maybe the lack of goals and impact is a team issue not a character fault?

• Like 2

On 05/05/2022 at 22:57, Saint Garrett said:

Badger says he has a poor attitude and you say lack of desire. Is this coming from inside the club or just professional body language reading?

Edited by Chez

8 minutes ago, Chez said:

Broja doesn't score or shine and you conclude its his poor attitude and application? I don't see similar comments and terminology used for Che, Armstrong and Long, yet they have done absolutely fuck all in the same period. Is their application and attitude spot on? Maybe the lack of goals and impact is a team issue not a character fault?

More likely that he's only 20 and even the best strikers go through lean patches. 

I think that we've seen enough to show that he has considerable potential and another year with us would be good for him and us.

• Like 6

Tbh I didn’t see someone not trying, I just saw someone lacking confidence and lacking quality. And he became more frustrated as a result. 

Broja isn’t the problem, the problem is that we’ve had to rely on a 20-year old loanee, who I assume was brought in as back-up, to be the main source of our goals this season.

• Like 5

I saw a player down on his luck today, he was involved and he was making the movements but he's just lacking that confidence he had. He gave up a bit in the 2nd half, but so did the rest of the team really.

Imagine us without Broja, we wouldn't even carry a threat.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Chez said:

Badger says he has a poor attitude and you say lack of desire. Is this coming from inside the club or just professional body language reading?

My comment, made a couple of days ago, was based on some poor and indifferent performances, and Ralph's public criticism of him last week.

Obviously written before today - which I didn't see - but from your post ot looks as if he upped the effort a bit so perhaps he and Ralph had a 'heart to heart' to clear it up.

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I saw a player down on his luck today, he was involved and he was making the movements but he's just lacking that confidence he had. He gave up a bit in the 2nd half, but so did the rest of the team really.

Imagine us without Broja, we wouldn't even carry a threat.

He was a bit better in the first half today. Still bemused that neither him and Armstrong weren't hooked at some point during the game.

10 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

He was a bit better in the first half today. Still bemused that neither him and Armstrong weren't hooked at some point during the game.

I thought he was our best player. Worked hard, kept the ball well. He fluffed his chance though.

Armstrong was poor. Didn't look sharp. Didn't look confident. Failed to hold the ball up, and was a non entity...and then out of nowhere he took his chance brilliantly. Very unlucky it was offside. I thought that might give him confidence in the second half, but he did nothing. Disappointing and I would have brought Che on. The game was lost though and we don't look like a side capable of scoring late goals. That strike does give me hope that Armstrong can turn things round. Needs a great summer/preseason to kick start things.

• 3 weeks later...

We'll miss him, excellent talent who had raw attributes that really helped our game when he was at the top of his form.

Enjoyed watching him when in full flight, one of the more exciting attackers we've had in recent years. 

I wonder what's changed in recent weeks? We were massively keen on him in January, the links were in the papers about us preparing £30m bids and the such. Ralph was saying that Martin and co are having the right conversations with Chelsea. I guess the situation at Chelsea hasn't helped matters, but we don't even seem prepared to go for him at all next season which is a surprise.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

We'll miss him, excellent talent who had raw attributes that really helped our game when he was at the top of his form.

Enjoyed watching him when in full flight, one of the more exciting attackers we've had in recent years. 

I wonder what's changed in recent weeks? We were massively keen on him in January, the links were in the papers about us preparing £30m bids and the such. Ralph was saying that Martin and co are having the right conversations with Chelsea. I guess the situation at Chelsea hasn't helped matters, but we don't even seem prepared to go for him at all next season which is a surprise.

How do you know that? 

42 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Reading that I was surprised there was no mention of RH or the coaching staff, an oversight or deliberate? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Or more likely, he’s been seeing Ralph day in day out for the last year and is quite capable of having a proper goodbye in person. 

7 minutes ago, SaintsLoyal said:

He may of faded towards the end from being overplayed, but his goals were clearly vital in the club staying up.

We weren’t in a relegation fight, he wasn’t vital to staying up.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Reading that I was surprised there was no mention of RH or the coaching staff, an oversight or deliberate? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yes. He also didn't mention the catering either. They must be serving crap food.

34 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

How do you know that? 

Seems pretty clear-cut to me. The goodbyes from Broja, no more soundbites about us wanting to keep him, not included in the final squad for the season. None of that points towards someone we are looking to keep!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

You're surprised at Saints not paying 30M for a player ?

21 hours ago, captainchris said:

Lack of mention for RH is significant like or not … 

I mean, he's just been beaming about his time at saints... So yes... obviously he's deliberately and covertly snubbing the club hierarch that gave him that opportunity... Sorry to burst your conspiracy bubble 🤣

7 hours ago, Saint86 said:

I mean, he's just been beaming about his time at saints... So yes... obviously he's deliberately and covertly snubbing the club hierarch that gave him that opportunity... Sorry to burst your conspiracy bubble 🤣

Conspiracy? You have vivid imagination…. 

• 4 weeks later...

Personally think anything under £30m for Broja is a great deal.

Already good and massive potential, would be pretty annoying to see him go to West Ham.

Still think Chelsea mad to sell him without ever giving him a chance.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

That's about fair, given his significant drop off at the end of the season.

We do need him back though, well if not him then someone similar - as an on form Broja gave our game something totally different, a bit of penetration in behind to start with.

It's odd that the club went from openly trying in January to then not being interested from March onwards, does beg the question as to what went on behind the scenes as we just went cold on him. It sounded like we were prepared to pay £30m in Jan.

6 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It's odd that the club went from openly trying in January to then not being interested from March onwards, does beg the question as to what went on behind the scenes as we just went cold on him. It sounded like we were prepared to pay £30m in Jan.

Maybe he made it clear he had no interest in staying longer term?

Otherwise as you say, bizarre that we aren't pushing hard for him.

If ever there was a low risk deal to spend more than £20m its this.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Armando Broja