Armando Broja

Matthew Le God

I have to say @TWar I commend the great lengths you go to in your posts and the efforts put through getting the stats together, but you could probably learn to put some brevity in your posts!

The more you write the more you leave yourself to getting exposed and it’s why this chat is spilling over to other threads and being repeated ad nauseum. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, nta786 said:

I have to say @TWar I commend the great lengths you go to in your posts and the efforts put through getting the stats together, but you could probably learn to put some brevity in your posts!

The more you write the more you leave yourself to getting exposed and it’s why this chat is spilling over to other threads and being repeated ad nauseum. 

I personally subscribe to the belief that an opinion not backed up by facts is interesting but not especially useful. That's why I try to give stats, examples, and comparisons. Makes the posts longer but is worth it for me.

I think they spill into other threads as certain posters have a vendetta against me and bring up these talking points wherever they go and I'm bad at not rising to it. I've made a point to try and avoid it in unrelated threads for the benefit of other posters but I'm not going to avoid talking about Broja in a thread titled Armando Broja. Anyone who appreciates stats based analysis of one of our players in the appropriate thread can read it and anyone who doesn't can ignore it, but this is the right place for it.

33 minutes ago, TWar said:

You can believe who you want mate but if you think 6 goals in 28 is enough for Chelsea you are living in a dream world. They have 8 players with more goals per minute than him and two are fullbacks.

Again you’ve completely made up that i said or think that. 

5 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

It hasn't been this fraught on saintsweb since the Steven Davis underrated/overrated wars of 2017.

You walked a lone path on that one from memory.   Big difference is you argued your case well; avoided one-on-one chest beatings and didn't throw up statistical models to try and befuddle opposing voices.

14 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Broja looks like a half decent prospect, I’d imagine he’s far superior than Adams was at 20. 

At the age of 20, Adams was scoring 7 goals in 40 league games for the bluenoses in the championship.

9 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

It hasn't been this fraught on saintsweb since the Steven Davis underrated/overrated wars of 2017.

as was then, is now - some facets of the game just can't be seen in a stats sheet. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Chez said:

whatever your view, there is no mistaking how much Ralph rates him. Without question he wants him back next year, if possible, but clearly there a whole host of obstacles. 

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/20103917.southampton-boss-not-given-hope-armando-broja-transfer/

There are but I think the way he’s tailed off in the past 6 weeks or so might well be a plus for us. He clearly isn’t ready for Chelsea just yet.

12 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

There are but I think the way he’s tailed off in the past 6 weeks or so might well be a plus for us. He clearly isn’t ready for Chelsea just yet.

The team has tailed off for me. He's getting no service and looks frustrated. That Chelsea system wouldn't suit him though, he'd struggle in the way Lukaku has. 

Stating the obvious I know, but Ralph calling him out. 

Think it’s clear that his head isn’t here for next season, which is a shame, but if that’s the case, we need to give those that will be a chance to shine. 

The fact AA is so far down the pecking list is a far bigger concern and a big problem for us. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I can’t see either Broja or AA being here next season and that doesn’t upset me either.

Would the club just cut its losses on AA? It was a big outlay to get him, he’s done almost nothing while here, I can’t see a Championship side being able/willing to shell out on a big fee and big salary. 

2 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Would the club just cut its losses on AA? It was a big outlay to get him, he’s done almost nothing while here, I can’t see a Championship side being able/willing to shell out on a big fee and big salary. 

Weren’t Norwich interested in him in the summer? Maybe they might fancy a dabble to help them back up?

14 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

AA would be a decent buy for anyone chasing promotion next season. We might have to subsidise a portion of his wages but at least we can recoup something.

would be good at Norwich or Everton, maybe 😆

I’d take Broja on another year's loan if his attitude was right but we’d need an immediate first choice striker too. The problem is, with Long on his way out and Walcott unlikely to play next season, if we do sell Armstrong we’re only left with Adams up front. That’s why I think we’ll keep Armstrong and Adams, sign one striker and loan one striker.

35 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

AA would be a decent buy for anyone chasing promotion next season. We might have to subsidise a portion of his wages but at least we can recoup something.

1 minute ago, SNSUN said:

I’d take Broja on another year's loan if his attitude was right but we’d need an immediate first choice striker too. The problem is, with Long on his way out and Walcott unlikely to play next season, if we do sell Armstrong we’re only left with Adams up front. That’s why I think we’ll keep Armstrong and Adams, sign one striker and loan one striker.

I’m getting more worried that won’t actually happen.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, The Kraken said:

I’m getting more worried that won’t actually happen.

Southampton Football Club are pleased to announce Shane Long has signed a 1 year contract extension, the veteran striker has impressed with recent performances resulting in him becoming first choice striker in Ralph Hassenhuttl's side. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, JRM said:

Southampton Football Club are pleased to announce Shane Long has signed a 1 year contract extension, the veteran striker has impressed with recent performances resulting in him becoming first choice striker in Ralph Hassenhuttl's side. 

You can see it happening 

16 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Defo, he has the right attributes in the championship, sadly not for the prem.

As far as I’ve heard, Long has been offered an extension. Personally think he offers more than Armstrong, which says a lot. Not expecting Armstrong or Broja to be here next season, but we need to bring someone in who can score some goals. Long is fine as a cheap squad depth, thought he had a decent game yesterday tbh. 

Just now, Saint Garrett said:

As far as I’ve heard, Long has been offered an extension. Personally think he offers more than Armstrong, which says a lot. Not expecting Armstrong or Broja to be here next season, but we need to bring someone in who can score some goals. Long is fine as a cheap squad depth, thought he had a decent game yesterday tbh. 

If we offer Long a new contract I despair of our management. He's on about £60k a week, wages that can definitely be spent on better. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

If we offer Long a new contract I despair of our management. He's on about £60k a week, wages that can definitely be spent on better. 

It should be possible for him to take a pay cut if he won't get more elsewhere

It will be a joke of a decision if Long is here next season, but I fully expect it to happen.

I can’t see Adam Armstrong going anywhere. Most Championship clubs won’t be able to afford him, and Ralph has described him as a long term project. Something odd going on with him though, when the manager publicly says that Shane Long is a better option than you are, something is very wrong.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JRM said:

I've said this several times, I can see him getting another year. Funds will be short, there is no guarantee that we can get Broja back, and Ralph's words and actions suggest he thinks he can do a job for us. Depressing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

Doesn't surprise me to hear the contract has been offered. That's a sign of how little money there is to spend this summer. I think its a poor decision.

I don't think he offers anything. Armstrong has struggled, but I'd still prefer to see him start.

I thought Long did nothing yesterday. Won nothing in the air, caused zero problems, created nothing, didn't think he worked all that hard, and he ran out of steam.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

Defo, he has the right attributes in the championship, sadly not for the prem.

In my mind I’m beginning to see him and David Lee, (remember him) as the same person, brilliant in the championship, couldn’t get anywhere near Orem standard. Might be a bit unfair on AA, as I think he has been destroyed. 

14 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

In my mind I’m beginning to see him and David Lee, (remember him) as the same person, brilliant in the championship, couldn’t get anywhere near Orem standard. Might be a bit unfair on AA, as I think he has been destroyed. 

What do you mean by destroyed? 

21 minutes ago, Chez said:

What do you mean by destroyed? 

I don’t know if destroyed is the right word but what I mean is,  we are really poor and he can’t get a look in, to the point that he put the woeful Redmond up front rather than give him a go yesterday. That would “destroy” me. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Very unprofessional decision - so £100k+ a week in wages at least with Theo as well will go out on players playing or barely. It’d be nice to employ some of my friends at my work on big wages to have a beer with and tell me what I want to hear but I make decisions based on business rationale, what people will contribute compared to what we need. Reminds me of Joe Root not taking Broad or Anderson on the WI tour because he allegedly can’t handle hearing different ideas to his own - piss weak leadership and same with SFC. Long wasn’t good enough in the division below and now 12 months older. Let that sink in.

Fans need to grow backbone and call Semmens, Crocker and the owners out when they plead poverty about missing out on key transfer targets. Then there’s the coaching wastes of spaces and wages too. As a minimum, I was expecting the new owners would shake up the parochial cosiness and complacency since Koeman left up and kick some arses out to change the culture to be a darned sight more hungry and proactive. 

Looks like Sports Republic are just Gao Mk2 - no communication with the fans and no funds judging by this moronic decision. Semmens again. I don’t give a toss if they are buying a Turkish 2nd division club with gates of 4000 for 50p or a club in the Slovenian Evostik League, the club at the head of your so-called network is a total shambles at first team level, the manager is resembling Pellegrino levels of ineptitude - the Prat of the Alps - and it needs circa £200m in investment and debt restructuring asap. It was only the price of a Man City player to buy SFC for a reason.

I’ve already resigned myself as have many fans to JWP moving to a CL club - he deserves it - but every penny must be used to bring 3 starting quality players into the club. Not on more squandered money to your ‘good lad’ who has scored at a rate of one goal in ten over the last 8 years. I mean, most on here would run around like a headless chicken and have the odd goal fluke in off our shins for a fraction of the cost if that’s what the Prat of the Alps wants. 

Edited by saint1977

32 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I don’t know if destroyed is the right word but what I mean is,  we are really poor and he can’t get a look in, to the point that he put the woeful Redmond up front rather than give him a go yesterday. That would “destroy” me. 

He deserved to be dropped when he was. It has been up to him to show (in training and in the substitute cameos) that he is worthy of another shot (run of starts). In a couple of those cameos he had the same problem that led to him being dropped - getting the ball stuck under his feet, not having the confidence to shoot on sight. In the Newcastle game he looked busy,  and maybe he ought to get more cameos off the bench. I certainly am not happy with us starting Shane Long.  

• Like 2

If we offer Long a contract it's as pointless as offering Theo a contract.

I've had enough of players that 'work hard for the team' but offer absolutely fuck all in the way of quality or ability. It's like they're excused of criticism because they work hard, yet Long would struggle for goals at the bottom end of the Champ - and that's what we need, goals. Not someone who works hard by running into corners. We don't have enough quality as it is to fill the team up with these sort of bloating squad players.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, Chez said:

He deserved to be dropped when he was. It has been up to him to show (in training and in the substitute cameos) that he is worthy of another shot (run of starts). In a couple of those cameos he had the same problem that led to him being dropped - getting the ball stuck under his feet, not having the confidence to shoot on sight. In the Newcastle game he looked busy,  and maybe he ought to get more cameos off the bench. I certainly am not happy with us starting Shane Long.  

I’ve also heard his attitude is not great day to day, and his missus doesn’t want to live down here.  He’s really struggled to settle. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

Very unprofessional decision - so £100k+ a week in wages at least with Theo as well will go out on players playing or barely. It’d be nice to employ some of my friends at my work on big wages to have a beer with and tell me what I want to hear but I make decisions based on business rationale, what people will contribute compared to what we need. Reminds me of Joe Root not taking Broad or Anderson on the WI tour because he allegedly can’t handle hearing different ideas to his own - piss weak leadership and same with SFC. 

Fans need to grow backbone and call Semmens, Crocker and the owners out when they plead poverty about missing out on key transfer targets. Then there’s the coaching wastes of spaces and wages too. As a minimum, I was expecting the new owners would shake to cosiness and complacency since Koeman left up and kick some arses out to change the culture to be a darned sight more hungry and proactive. 

Looks like Sports Republic are just Gao Mk2 - no communication with the fans and no funds judging by this moronic decision. Semmens again. I don’t give a toss if they are buying a Turkish 2nd division club with gates of 4000 for 50p or a club in the Slovenian Evostik League, the club at the head of your so-called network is total crap, the manager is resembling Pellegrino levels of ineptitude and it needs circa £200m in investment and debt restructuring asap. It was only the price of a Man City player to buy SFC for a reason. 

Had Newcastle, Everton, West Ham, Aston Villa, Leeds and the big six had the lack of investment that we've had since 2016 when Koeman left, you wouldn't hear the end of it. I think if the plan for the club and the new ownership is to keep breaking even in the transfer market then we as fans need to start making our voices heard again, as selling Ings for £30m and replacing him with Armstrong for £15m and selling Vestergaard for £15m and replacing him with Lyanco for £7m (plus some other cheap squad fillers) isn't too far from the Lowe Premier League days, only prices have increased.

As you say, we, a Premier League club with good facilities thanks to Markus Liebherr and little direct competition geographically were bought for £100m, while Sheffield United in the Championship are currently reportedly being taken over for £115m. So, you'd imagine the new ownership have saved some cash and would be able to put it into the necessary changes that are needed. But, then again, we are probably the only Premier League club who had to take a loan out in recent years and need to pay that back, so...

Now, I don't know how much it costs to buy Goztepe, and I've tried Googling to no success, but I'd imagine it's the price of a good standard of player. As a fan, I'd obviously prefer that money be put into our budgets, rather than focussing on buying another club. The City group model works because Manchester City's owners have infinite funds, but Watford under the Pozzos have not been aided by their ownership of Udinese and formerly Granada, so I'm unsure of its benefits for us.

The new ownership do of course have this summer to show us what their intentions are, but reports of a new deal for Long, as much as I appreciate him as a player aren't what I want to hear. Palace let a number of their long-term servants go last summer and they're now at the beginning stages of a new journey/era. While new contracts for Walcott and McCarthy last year do also show that Semmens/Crocker aren't always as ruthless as they need to be and sometimes sentimentality kicks in. One thing that I have noticed is that the club do not arrange any fan forums when we're going through this current spell of form.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

From the Beeb's gossip page...

Napoli have set their sights on 20-year-old Chelsea striker Armando Broja, with the Albania forward having impressed while on loan at Southampton this season. (Todofichajes - in Spanish

Seems certain we no longer figure in his plans despite all the chatter before melt down part 3.

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

I’ve also heard his attitude is not great day to day, and his missus doesn’t want to live down here.  He’s really struggled to settle. 

No idea if that’s true but if it is he needs to ditch her. Dating a millionaire footballer, she’ll never have to do a day’s work in her life and she can’t cope with moving an hour down the M3? Surely not.

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

No idea if that’s true but if it is he needs to ditch her. Dating a millionaire footballer, she’ll never have to do a day’s work in her life and she can’t cope with moving an hour down the M3? Surely not.

I think SG was referring to Armstrong not settling, rather than Broja.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Armando Broja