Armando Broja

Matthew Le God

8 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

Wow, he's been anonymous (to put it politely) for months now. Mixed feelings about this, if he had remained red hot like he was at the beginning then either Chelsea would want him back for next season, or a minted club like Newcastle would out bid us. I wonder if Ralph has deliberately set the team up (with him out wide) to make less of an impact to improve our chances of buying him, or is it just that he (Broja) couldn't be arsed. Probably the latter, but I'm not sure .... :suspicious:

It is a weird one especially last night where service was scarce, but also like everyone on the pitch (until Che came on) he was bullied by Burnley.

Something I  noticed around the time he was looking dangerous, team mates were looking a bit fed up with him as he drove repeatedly into a cul de sac at full tilt and any angle to score was snuffed out by defenders when an easy ball to an open option was on. This “selfishness” was mentioned on here, and slapped down from some saying “he is a striker - I expect him to be selfish”. His drop off in potency seems to have coincided with him no longer driving down a blind alley towards goal but now looking for a better option to pass to which has dulled his edge - his seemingly increased presence out on the wing recently almost backs this up. 
If this is the case, just got to hope we are doing it for our benefit and not some other bugger he shuffles off to, then bites us on the arse.

Yesterday in the first half he took a shot on which got blocked when Perraud was making a great run into a dangerous area.

It's just a sign of a striker who hasn't scored in a while, when confidence is frail they make the wrong decisions.

He is very young though, I just hope he doesn't think he has made it after a good 10 game spell. He might have an offer elsewhere anyway so is going through the motions.

I wish we could see statistics like distance covered and number of sprints after the game. 

I don’t think he uninterested. I think people are judging him quite harshly because he has a pretty neutral facial expression which people read as disinterested. 

I mean when you think about what he is good at, we’ve haven’t played to his strengths for quite a while. Get him running 1v1 against a defender and he is easily our most dangerous player.

Problem is we haven’t moved the ball quick enough for months, so by the time it gets up to him, the opposition defence has had about 5 mins to set-up and get a decent shape.

He’s a young and inexperienced player inevitably having a drop of form, in a team which has also not performed for months which is hardly that unexpected. And for all he’s good at he’s hasn’t developed his skills well enough yet to playing in a team off-form against defenders who probably have a bit more of a clue how to stop him. 

We start getting the ball quickly to him again, I’m sure he’ll start to look dangerous again. He’s clearly trying but if we keep playing like we are at the moment, he’ll continue to frustrate because he hasn’t developed enough yet to keep scoring when we not playing to his style. He’s no where near a complete package yet and I think because of a purple patch people are expecting too much of him. 

He’s still a very good player IMO and he’ll get there I think but, we need to remember he has a lot of development ahead of him yet.

He had a good month or two, and it just happened to be early on. Lots of people have said he is "proven" to be good because of it, but before us he was bang average in the dutch league and he's been bang average in this league for a good while. Maybe the good spell was the exception and his long spell of mediocrity is the norm.

16 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

Or Ralph has coached out his natural flair like Livramento and Djenepo 

You're taking the piss, right?  Djenepo... natural flair... not often seen in the same sentence.

Livramento is an excellent prospect but he's not easily categorised as a "flair" player.  Efficient, strong, pacey, good vision yes.... Ronaldinho no.

3 hours ago, TWar said:

He had a good month or two, and it just happened to be early on. Lots of people have said he is "proven" to be good because of it, but before us he was bang average in the dutch league and he's been bang average in this league for a good while. Maybe the good spell was the exception and his long spell of mediocrity is the norm.

Get a grip.  He's 20 years old FFS.  

Playing a role where there is no hiding place for a "bang average" Premier league team.

He was joint top scorer for Vitesse during his "bang average" season there... as a 19 year old.

He has the attributes to be a success in the Prem, he still has a lot of learning to do.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

You're taking the piss, right?  Djenepo... natural flair... not often seen in the same sentence.

Livramento is an excellent prospect but he's not easily categorised as a "flair" player.  Efficient, strong, pacey, good vision yes.... Ronaldinho no.

Agreed. Djenepo can beat a man but has no end product. That's been his problem since day 1 and has never been solved. His dribbling numbers are still good, arguably better than when he joined, but he just can't pass or shoot so he needs to be binned. Ralph has benched him for good reason for more reliable players.

Livramento ran past people a lot when he first joined which was really helpful but occassionally we'd lose the ball and we'd be a bit stuck. Now he runs past people less but when he does it is less risky.

14 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Get a grip.  He's 20 years old FFS.  

Playing a role where there is no hiding place for a "bang average" Premier league team.

He was joint top scorer for Vitesse during his "bang average" season there... as a 19 year old.

He has the attributes to be a success in the Prem, he still has a lot of learning to do.  

The issue is people keep pointing out he's young as if this means anything to us. He isn't our player, we have him here for one season most likely. Why should we care if he is young? If he comes good then Chelsea make a profit. We need players who can score goals and win for us now or players we can develop for our own benefit. He is neither. He is clearly not good enough now for our ambitions, with 6 goals and 2 since boxing day, and playing him into form does nothing for us except doing a massive favour for Chelsea. Not good enough, shouldn't be starting for a premier league side on his current level and as to the question of whether he will get good or not in coming years, who cares? It is unlikely to be with us anyway.

Watford were dropping the likes of Dennis in recent weeks who has scored more goals and they are a relegation side. Shouldn't be anywhere near our starting 11 with his current output, I don't care if he is 16 or 60, we need strikers who can score.

Edited by TWar

1 minute ago, TWar said:

Livramento ran past people a lot when he first joined which was really helpful but occassionally we'd lose the ball and we'd be a bit stuck. Now he runs past people less but when he does it is less risky.

He was also blowing out of his arse from about 70 minutes during the early part of the season.  He's learning.

2 minutes ago, TWar said:

The issue is people keep pointing out he's young as if this means anything to us. He isn't our player, we have him here for one season most likely. Why should we give a fuck if he is young? If he comes good then Chelsea make a profit. We need players who can score goals and win for us now or players we can develop for our own benefit. He is neither. He is clearly not good enough now for our ambitions, with 6 goals and 2 since boxing day, and playing him into form does nothing for us except doing a massive favour for Chelsea. Not good enough, shouldn't be starting for a premier league side on his current level and as to the question of whether he will get good or not in coming years, who cares? It is unlikely to be with us anyway.

Watford were dropping the likes of Dennis in recent weeks who has scored more goals and they are a relegation side. Shouldn't be anywhere near our starting 11 with his current output, I don't care if he is 16 or 60, we need strikers who can score.

Fine, completely switch the argument.

You were slating him as an individual player, not the wider impact to the club.

Frankly, I'd rather build a team we can afford to keep.  If that means playing in the Championship, so be it.  I'm not a fan of the transient nature of our modus operandi, hoping to have "exciting prospects" play for us for 2 years, whilst sucking up the "enjoy them while they're here..." bullshit.  That's not football to me, that's not how you build a solid foundation for a team.  It is how you make profit though and being a fan of the club I couldn't give 2 shits about profit.  (sorry drifted off topic here... I'll raise this point again once the season is over).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Fine, completely switch the argument.

You were slating him as an individual player, not the wider impact to the club.

Frankly, I'd rather build a team we can afford to keep.  If that means playing in the Championship, so be it.  I'm not a fan of the transient nature of our modus operandi, hoping to have "exciting prospects" play for us for 2 years, whilst sucking up the "enjoy them while they're here..." bullshit.  That's not football to me, that's not how you build a solid foundation for a team.  It is how you make profit though and being a fan of the club I couldn't give 2 shits about profit.  (sorry drifted off topic here... I'll raise this point again once the season is over).

I'm not switching the argument. As an individual player he hasn't been good enough for a premier league side. There isn't a single team in the league who doesn't have a player who has outscored him. He isn't good enough, 6 league goals isn't good enough, 2 since boxing day isn't good enough, 0 league assists all season isn't good enough. Saying "it's pretty good for a young lad" is like saying "it's pretty good for a lad with ginger hair", his age means nothing to us. There is no rule saying we need to play a 20 year old forward, we don't gain anything from his development, and we won't earn extra points from having a younger average age. All he is to us is a 6 goal striker for a team that otherwise could be pushing top half or europe. We are two points off 9th and 13 points off europe. One more win would have us top half, three wins and a draw would have us in europe. You have to think if we had a 10-15 goal forward rather than a 6 goal forward that would be very acheivable.

Edited by TWar

20 minutes ago, TWar said:

The issue is people keep pointing out he's young as if this means anything to us. He isn't our player, we have him here for one season most likely. Why should we care if he is young? If he comes good then Chelsea make a profit. We need players who can score goals and win for us now or players we can develop for our own benefit. He is neither. He is clearly not good enough now for our ambitions, with 6 goals and 2 since boxing day, and playing him into form does nothing for us except doing a massive favour for Chelsea. Not good enough, shouldn't be starting for a premier league side on his current level and as to the question of whether he will get good or not in coming years, who cares? It is unlikely to be with us anyway.

Has it not crossed your mind that we don’t actually have any and Ralph, like most on here, think that He and Adams are our best options? 

6 minutes ago, Dman said:

Has it not crossed your mind that we don’t actually have any and Ralph, like most on here, think that He and Adams are our best options? 

I'm not saying there is an easy option, all our strikers have been pretty poor. When I say "we need strikers who can score", I say this with the fact we have 5 games left and then a nice long transfer window. That's why I think we need to forget about Broja, write him and Armstrong off as poor signings for the purpose of replacing Ings (neither has got anywhere near his total last season) and try again in the window. Armstrong can stay as a bench option we can hopefully develop and we can use our new budget with new owners to pick up a striker who is good rather than one who is just good for a 20 year old.

But lets stop pretending that Broja isn't a massive part of why we haven't kicked on when he has scored the same amount of league goals in 2022 as Bednarek.

Edited by TWar

8 minutes ago, TWar said:

I'm not switching the argument. As an individual player he hasn't been good enough for a premier league side. There isn't a single team in the league who doesn't have a player who has outscored him. He isn't good enough, 6 league goals isn't good enough, 2 since boxing day isn't good enough, 0 league assists all season isn't good enough. Saying "it's pretty good for a young lad" is like saying "it's pretty good for a lad with ginger hair", his age means nothing to us. There is no rule saying we need to play a 20 year old forward, we don't gain anything from his development, and we won't earn extra points from having a younger average age. All he is to us is a 6 goal striker for a team that otherwise could be pushing top half or europe. We are two points off 9th and 13 points off europe. One more win would have us top half, three wins and a draw would have us in europe. You have to think if we had a 10-15 goal forward rather than a 6 goal forward that would be very acheivable.

Again, you seem to have some difficulty in appreciating my defence of him as an individual player when responding to your slating post of him as a player.  Your switch in argument to impact on team and backed up with ridiculous factors like ginger hair takes it to a place where you may feel comfortable but is nonsenseland as far as I'm concerned. 

You seem to think I want us to play in Europe; I don't.  With Ralph's style of play and piss poor squad depth we would probably be relegated.

4 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Again, you seem to have some difficulty in appreciating my defence of him as an individual player when responding to your slating post of him as a player.  Your switch in argument to impact on team and backed up with ridiculous factors like ginger hair takes it to a place where you may feel comfortable but is nonsenseland as far as I'm concerned. 

You seem to think I want us to play in Europe; I don't.  With Ralph's style of play and piss poor squad depth we would probably be relegated.

As an individual player he is a 6 goals in 28 games striker ie. relegation level. Your defence, if I'm not wrong, is "he is young". My point is, him being young doesn't change his quality. It changes his promise, somewhat, but we don't care about his promise as he isn't our player. His quality right now isn't good enough.

I think we'd be fine in europe, incidentally, we'd just give youngsters a game against the weaklings in the group stages and then try and focus on the knock outs when we inevitably hit mid table mediocrity in the second half of the season.

Edited by TWar

12 minutes ago, TWar said:

But lets stop pretending that Broja isn't a massive part of why we haven't kicked on when he has scored the same amount of league goals in 2022 as Bednarek.

Who is pretending that the team haven't hit another slump in form?  Broja has a part in that, the same as all the other players - maybe Forster aside.  

I see your pathetic stat; Bednerak v Broja goals scored this calendar year and raise you to the 90 minutes difference played between the 2 players v Chelsea 6-0 could've been 10 nil drubbing "stat".

Part of me does think we are also giving him lots of minutes to appease Chelsea and get some of their other players on loan and enhance our relationship.

The other view is by giving young players more minutes, we're trying to showcase to prospective players to come to us, I'm sure in all discussions we'll just point towards Broja and Livramento from now.

Whether that is the correct approach is debateable. I'm looking forward to the summer transfer window now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, notnowcato said:

Who is pretending that the team haven't hit another slump in form?  Broja has a part in that, the same as all the other players - maybe Forster aside.  

I see your pathetic stat; Bednerak v Broja goals scored this calendar year and raise you to the 90 minutes difference played between the 2 players v Chelsea 6-0 could've been 10 nil drubbing "stat".

I don't understand the second sentence at all. Broja is our biggest issue right now. The player who should be our primary goal scorer on 6 goals for the season is relegation level. 2 goals from 4 months is worst starting forward in the league level.

Many players in our side have struggled, Bednarek has been a big issue too as has Salisu, but none are underperforming like Broja is.

1 minute ago, nta786 said:

Part of me does think we are also giving him lots of minutes to appease Chelsea and get some of their other players on loan and enhance our relationship.

The other view is by giving young players more minutes, we're trying to showcase to prospective players to come to us, I'm sure in all discussions we'll just point towards Broja and Livramento from now.

Either of those seem eminently reasonable hypotheses to me

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TWar said:

As an individual player he is a 6 goals in 28 games striker ie. relegation level. Your defence, if I'm not wrong, is "he is young". My point is, him being young doesn't change his quality. It changes his promise, somewhat, but we don't care about his promise as he isn't our player. His quality right now isn't good enough.

I think we'd be fine in europe, incidentally, we'd just give youngsters a game against the weaklings in the group stages and then try and focus on the knock outs when we inevitably hit mid table mediocrity in the second half of the season.

Would you like me to draw you a picture?  A Venn diagram, maybe?  You attacked him as an individual, I defended him as an individual player, you switched the argument to impact on the wider team.  I'm left wondering why you think the pathetic form of late is largely down to Broja. 

You are living in la-la land if you think we'd be "fine in Europe.." with our youngsters.  Jesus and the Mary Chain, have you missed a dose?  Nurse!!

1 minute ago, TWar said:

I don't understand the second sentence at all. Broja is our biggest issue right now. The player who should be our primary goal scorer on 6 goals for the season is relegation level. 2 goals from 4 months is worst starting forward in the league level.

Many players in our side have struggled, Bednarek has been a big issue too as has Salisu, but none are underperforming like Broja is.

I mean we just conceded 6, which should have been more, in a game where he didn’t even make the squad. 

As I said, if we don’t have any better then what choice do we have than to start him? Not having any better isn’t his fault, so I’d say off the bat a bigger issue is the fact A Armstrong is fucking rubbish. I don’t believe for a second, at the start of the season the club or Ralph thought Borja would be his first choice ST. Armstrong, being shite, is a far bigger issue. 

Our biggest issue is we cannot defend and move the ball too slowly. 

Ralph is our biggest issue atm IMO.

• Like 1

Just now, notnowcato said:

Would you like me to draw you a picture?  A Venn diagram, maybe?  You attacked him as an individual, I defended him as an individual player, you switched the argument to impact on the wider team.  I'm left wondering why you think the pathetic form of late is largely down to Broja. 

You are living in la-la land if you think we'd be "fine in Europe.." with our youngsters.  Jesus and the Mary Chain, have you missed a dose?  Nurse!!

As an individual he has scored 6 goals in 28 games, and 2 in four months. Simple as that. I don't know what is causing confusion.

2 minutes ago, TWar said:

Give up the Broja crusade, seriously. He is not our biggest problem, far from it.

Broja won games for us in the early part of the season, not just through goals but his runs to win penalties, get free kicks etc. As I explained yesterday, which you don't seem to be taking much attention of, are the facts that opposition have somewhat nullified his strengths, so now he needs more help from the wider attackers but he's not really getting much link as our attackers, bar Armstrong when he's on form, are absolute bilge.

1 minute ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Did he shag your bird or your sister? Given the level of hatred, maybe it was both. Give it a frigging rest will ya? 

I am discussing Broja on a thread called Armando Broja, what's the issue with this? If you don't want to see discussions of Broja don't come to the thread named after him.

4 minutes ago, TWar said:

You plank.  Add a hypothetical Broja half a goal per game to our recent results and we still get a right dicking overall.  

Just now, S-Clarke said:

Give up the Broja crusade, seriously. He is not our biggest problem, far from it.

Broja won games for us in the early part of the season, not just through goals but his runs to win penalties, get free kicks etc. As I explained yesterday, which you don't seem to be taking much attention of, are the facts that opposition have somewhat nullified his strengths, so now he needs more help from the wider attackers but he's not really getting much link as our attackers, bar Armstrong when he's on form, are absolute bilge.

I paid attention to it, I even responded. The idea that Broja is being nullified because he is our biggest threat is nonsense, he is not our biggest threat in terms of goals or assists. Yeah players have learned to play against him, because he is one dimensional and they have figured him out.

2 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

You plank.  Add a hypothetical Broja half a goal per game to our recent results and we still get a right dicking overall.  

So you don't think an extra 5 goals or so would win us a single extra point across the season?

Just now, TWar said:

I paid attention to it, I even responded. The idea that Broja is being nullified because he is our biggest threat is nonsense, he is not our biggest threat in terms of goals or assists. Yeah players have learned to play against him, because he is one dimensional and they have figured him out.

You're looking at the figures and stats again, there is more to football than the numbers of assists and goals. His all round play, creating opening sfor others, stretching the play, creating space etc etc etc - none of that will end up as a statistic, but ultimately that input from him changed our game. Opposition teams saw that and they saw the threat he poses, hence they've stopped allowing him the opportunities - so I'd say the opposition managers and coaches see him as a threat, pundits, former footballers etc all appreciate what he brings to the game. It's not just about figures.

3 minutes ago, TWar said:

This is a fair debate and to be honest, I don’t disagree. The rest of the hateful shite you’re spouting is laughable though. 

I can only assume you’re trolling at this point.

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

You're looking at the figures and stats again, there is more to football than the numbers of assists and goals. His all round play, creating opening sfor others, stretching the play, creating space etc etc etc - none of that will end up as a statistic, but ultimately that input from him changed our game. Opposition teams saw that and they saw the threat he poses, hence they've stopped allowing him the opportunities - so I'd say the opposition managers and coaches see him as a threat, pundits, former footballers etc all appreciate what he brings to the game. It's not just about figures.

His all round play is abysmal. He honestly barely touches the ball recently. He doesn't "stretch play" in the slightest. His one thing he did well was drive at players and score. And he barely does either any more.

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Exactly, he put it on a plate for Ely against Arsenal, but that doesn’t show in his stats because Ely fluffed it.

8 minutes ago, Dman said:

This is a fair debate and to be honest, I don’t disagree. The rest of the hateful shite you’re spouting is laughable though. 

I can only assume you’re trolling at this point.

What did I say that was "hateful"? I don't think he's up to our standard. Is it hateful when people say that about Valery, McCarthy, Redmond, Bednarek, Lyanco etc?

Or is it just hateful because you disagree and when people disagree I reply to them arguing my case. It only seems like I post a lot about it as a lot of people disagree with me and I patiently reply to each of them who make actual arguments. Therefore a lot of posts. If everyone noticed that our most played CF this season has lower goals than any other most played striker in the league then I'm sure I'd post about him a lot less.

Edited by TWar

Just now, Sarisbury Saint said:

Exactly, he put it on a plate for Ely against Arsenal, but that doesn’t show in his stats because Ely fluffed it.

It doesn't show up favourably in the stats as it was too hard and came in around knee level which made it difficult to finish. Even the commentators at the time said "great run, shame the final ball wasn't better"

3 minutes ago, TWar said:

So you don't think an extra 5 goals or so would win us a single extra point across the season?

Correct, I don't think that.  I think many things but I don't think that.  Never crossed my mind.  Maybe 6 extra goals could be the tipping point, I could think that but then, why would I?  Maybe only 4 goals would be enough for an extra point.  Or is it 2 goals??  Bloody hell it is 2 goals!!  Only 2 extra goals needed from our ginger haired loanee for an extra point.  I've had enough.  We should never sign / loan another red / ginger head!  Where's the ginger one from?  Berkshire!!  I fucking knew it!

7 minutes ago, TWar said:

What did I say that was "hateful"? I don't think he's up to our standard. Is it hateful when people say that about Valery, McCarthy, Redmond, Bednarek, Lyanco etc?

Or is it just hateful because you disagree and when people disagree I reply to them arguing my case. It only seems like I post a lot about it as a lot of people disagree with me and I patiently reply to each of them who make actual arguments. Therefore a lot of posts. If everyone noticed that our most played CF this season has lower goals than any other most played striker in the league then I'm sure I'd post about him a lot less.

You have a clear agenda. It’s boring.

Focus your energy on the fact Armstrong isn’t good enough to dislodge him. 

no single player is our biggest issue, collectively we’ve not been good enough for a number of reasons. 

Just now, egg said:

FFS, is this shite still going on?! 

Dman rates the lad. TWar doesn't. You'll never agree with each other, and although I like a good tussle, this is fucking boring. 

I'd get this if this argument was happening in an unrelated thread and when it does I apologise and stop but we are talking in the "Armando Broja" thread, immediately after a game, again when he was ineffectual against another average side. What do you expect? Why come to the thread of a massively underperforming player after another poor performance if you don't expect to see discussion about it?

11 minutes ago, TWar said:

His all round play is abysmal. He honestly barely touches the ball recently. He doesn't "stretch play" in the slightest. His one thing he did well was drive at players and score. And he barely does either any more.

i wish we had at least one member of our academy or under 23 had played at least as badly as Broja has been this season. 

Just now, Dman said:

You have a clear agenda. It’s boring.

Focus your energy on the fact Armstrong isn’t good enough to dislodge him. 

no single player is our biggest issue, collectively we’ve not been good enough for a number of reasons. 

"Focus your energy on the player who isn't starting, rather than the one who is and is playing poorly" What? Why? When Redmond has a bad game do you ignore it and flood to the Djenepo thread to complain he hasn't replaced him yet? Obviously not, as that is ridiculous.

Just now, wild-saint said:

i wish we had at least one member of our academy or under 23 had played at least as badly as Broja has been this season. 

Our academy are playing where they belong, against players their level. We have senior players to play our senior matches and have no obligation to play Chelseas academy players who are way below standard.

6 minutes ago, egg said:

FFS, is this shite still going on?! 

Dman rates the lad. TWar doesn't. You'll never agree with each other, and although I like a good tussle, this is fucking boring. 

not even me this time, I was fairly neutral until he said Borja is our biggest issue. 

Twar would argue with a brick wall if he could though. 

8 minutes ago, TWar said:

I'd get this if this argument was happening in an unrelated thread and when it does I apologise and stop but we are talking in the "Armando Broja" thread, immediately after a game, again when he was ineffectual against another average side. What do you expect? Why come to the thread of a massively underperforming player after another poor performance if you don't expect to see discussion about it?

The point I believe egg was making is that he already knows what you (and Dman) think of Broja and that it's futile/pointless repeating the same thing over and over again. What does telling us what we already know dozens of times a day actually achieve?

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, TWar said:

"Focus your energy on the player who isn't starting, rather than the one who is and is playing poorly" What? Why? When Redmond has a bad game do you ignore it and flood to the Djenepo thread to complain he hasn't replaced him yet? Obviously not, as that is ridiculous.

It’s pretty obvious what he meant. Armstrong was obviously signed to be our main striker this season, that’s why we spent a lot, for us, on him. He started most games at the start of the season. after a promising start it now seems 35 year old Shane Long with a few weeks left on his contract is preferred to him. At the moment he isn’t doing the job he was signed for. Broja has been miles better than him over the course season and just because you don’t like it doesn’t make it untrue 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Armando Broja